Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

TOTI

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m quick to point out when posters make quick judgments about people that turn out to be a load of *******s so only fair I put my hands up about Toti.

I thought he did a job filling in at left back last season but long term didn’t think he’d ever make a premier league player. Completely wrong. Well done to him, he’s been class.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That is the most attacking lineup I think I’ve ever seen!!

Toti part of a back 3 including Cancelo.

Bruno Fernandes next to Neves in a 2 man centre mid.

Front 5 of Bernardo Silva and Jota wide, with Felix, Ronaldo and Goncales down the middle!!

Southdownswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pretty crap match, not that I was expecting much. Toti and Sa did what they needed to, which wasn't a huge amount.

Clipboard

Reaction score
Toti looked incredibly comfortable. Had a lot of the ball and made lots of quick forward passes. Poor opposition but a very decent debut.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How much is a left-sided, adaptable, 24 year old, International defender worth nowadays?

Toti is proof that the strategy of getting young Portuguese players from smaller Portuguese clubs before any of Porto, Benfica or Sporting get their hands on them works.

If he'd have stayed at Estoril, he'd probably be at one of those clubs now and after making his Portugal debut, he'd probably be valued over £15m for a PL club to buy. If he went on to be a mainstay of one of those sides in Europe and for Portugal, you're talking £30m+.

We got him for about £650k.

Best business we've done since Doherty and Kilman.

Last edited:

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m quick to point out when posters make quick judgments about people that turn out to be a load of *******s so only fair I put my hands up about Toti.

I thought he did a job filling in at left back last season but long term didn’t think he’d ever make a premier league player. Completely wrong. Well done to him, he’s been class.
I’ll gladly put my hands up gladly as well. Always felt that he had the physical attributes to do well (quick, powerful, good in the air, likes a tackle) but felt he was very rash at times and wasn’t great positionally along with not being great on the ball. He’s proved me wrong on the latter bits as he seems to be progressing week by week.

I do still feel that much like Kilman and Dawson that for varying issues with each one they are better in a back 3 than a back 4 and long term I’d prefer us to play a back 4 but right now I can’t argue the 3 is working.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always liked Toti. He’s a pacey, big and strong left sided defender who loves to defend. He looks ungamely as anything and I think that’s what counts against him sometimes - for me he’s quietly going about his business at the back and not getting noticed as much, which is exactly what you want from a defender.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always liked Toti. He’s a pacey, big and strong left sided defender who loves to defend. He looks ungamely as anything and I think that’s what counts against him sometimes - for me he’s quietly going about his business at the back and not getting noticed as much, which is exactly what you want from a defender.

Not noticed much.... until he decides he's going to turn into Messi to set up the occasional goal!!

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not noticed much.... until he decides he's going to turn into Messi to set up the occasional goal!!
Haha, fair point! I meant from a defensive side, usually if a defender is making last gasp tackles and relying on pace then he's making up for his mistakes and poor positioning.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haha, fair point! I meant from a defensive side, usually if a defender is making last gasp tackles and relying on pace then he's making up for his mistakes and poor positioning.

Yeah, agree. Despite him looking uncomfortable on the ball, he's actually quite comfortable, and getting better and better.

At the moment, he's concentrating on doing the basics right. Whether that's for us in the PL, or in his debut yesterday. He's playing with no fear and doing everything that's asked of him.

The challenge for Toti now will be that next stage that can catch quite a few defenders out. How does he respond when he does make an error? It will happen at some stage, it happens to all defenders.

The best just get over it straight away and carry on doing what they do. But it can sometimes halt the progress of a lot of defenders who then start to overthink things. They stop doing the simple things well, fear creeps into their game and before you know it, they are going backwards.

We've seen it happen to Harry Maguire in the last few seasons. It happened to a lesser extent with Nathan Collins here. He's one that had a solid start, then after a few errors, his legs turned to jelly every time the ball came near him.

But I have high hopes for Toti, as he strikes me as the sort of character that will sail through most challenges thrown his way.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I never thought he'd make the grade, which shows how much I know!

This is why I bang on about this type of transfer so often.

You only need one success in Toti to pay for 10 failures.

I'm glad we have moved away from shooting for the moon with the Silva type deals and hope we sign more Toti/Chiqinho/Gonzalez type players

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he made his debut when Saiss was away for African nations tournament, sure we were undefeated, then Toti was replaced when Saiss returned and the results declined. People commented on his untidiness when in possession, but his primary function is to defend, he is turning into the new Bruno, for those who remember Floyd.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Love the video but it misses his assist for Diego Costa's only goal at Wolves. It does highlight a range of passing that many think he doesn't have.

For me, the man marking jobs on Foden and Almiron were phenomenal- stepping out all over to get the job done.

I can't think of another player in the PL who is equally accomplished at LCB and LB making the transition between a 5 and a 4 so seamless and keeping the opposition guessing.

Given that ability, and GON's wish to be flexible depending on opponent, Toti has to be one of the first names on the teamsheet currently.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we might need to start calling him Inspector Gadget, he seems to have telescopic legs!

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I don't think it is a coincidence that our current upturn in form dates from when Toti started playing regularly. Sure it was also when we switched to 3 at the back, but it is Toti not tactics making the difference.
We went on a good run of points at an important time last year when Toti came in against Forest away.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As you can't criticise Semedo without mentioning others.

Just to put on record that his passing today was abysmal IMO. Still defended quite well and hasn't let us down, but was a 5/10 at best today.

Back
Top Bottom