Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The OMG what a day Southampton verdict thread

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every so often a game comes along that when it’s finished your hands are trembling and adrenaline cannot stop pumping through your body. Had it a fair few times under Nuno, the likes of Bristol away, Spurs away at Wembley, City a couple of times, the QF versus United, Torino away. Today was the first post Nuno one of those such games.

Few observations…. Starting line up I’m not sure about, but the ability to, and the the skill of how, Lopetegui makes subs to effect games is, well game changing. Thought Traore, Costa and Bueno were all great.

Sarabia is a proper baller isn’t he. Seems to have gone under the radar somewhat but I’d argue he’s one of our best players.

Hope Nunes can come good. Despite today’s euphoria he was yet again disappointing.

Neves is just behind words isn’t he now. Our leader, talisman and, IMO, a genuine world class player. Led by example today.

Love Saturday nights again.

Great post.

Throw Cardiff and Middlesbrough away in there as well. The former in particular was like no ending to a game I've seen before or since.

D

Deleted member (smith)

Please people, his name is GOMES, not GOMEZ :)

This is something that bugs me too . Spanish names end in z and are pronounced as a z as in Carlos Tevez . Portuguese names end in an s and are pronounced with a soft end as in Gomes(h). Fernandez is Spanish …Fernandesh is Portuguese.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You've forget the tea lady, only the ****ing best in the football pyramid, bar none!

Thanks for reminding me.

I knew there was one I forgot.

My apologies to the tea lady. BTW she makes an awesome cappuccino as well!

Sevenwolves

Groupie
Reaction score
Why do people keep saying we were awful first half. We dominated possession and looked really comfortable for the first 20 until the shambolic refereeing got to our players. Then the sending off compounded matters. Thankfully some tweaks and grit helped.

Re. sending off I'm in the minority as could see why the first was a booking. Even though it wasn't malicious as soon as the studs made contact with the Southampton player it was obvious the ref would flash a yellow. The second was a joke though and I look forward to match of the day totally glossing over it later
Sorry we really weren’t good in the first half

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just saw Dazzling's Dave's summary. Yep, another special mention to our Captain Fantastic! He must not be allowed to leave but if he does, then not without the most special of send offs! We've got Neves, who, Ruben Neves.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Under Lopetegui we've already had a last minute of injury time winner at Everton, a thrashing of Liverpool, and 10 man comeback with a late goal from a player on his debut. Been quite a start. Really feels like those special days are back again.
Was sitting in the boozer earlier with my spurs supporting mate, the differing feelings post-xmas is noticeable.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great post.

Throw Cardiff and Middlesbrough away in there as well. The former in particular was like no ending to a game I've seen before or since.

Funnily, I watched the highlights of that this morning, and really enjoyed it. Was interesting to see us peak Nuno again. Today was definitely up there.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watched that as the sole customer (once the Rugby finished) of a Maltese bar. Feed was delayed so the winner was shown as a highlight on the Arsenal game before the one I was watching. Difficult to go mental when you are the only customer but the owner was very understanding!
Great second half with too many heroes to mention. Special shout out to Bueno and Adama, not to mention our debutant - what a finish!
His name is: super, super Joao, super, super Joao, super, super Joao, super Joao Gomez!

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great post.

Yeh I meant to put both these in but had a brain fart whilst typing and didn’t want to edit it. Must be the adrenaline.

Either way, I have bloody missed that feeling. What footballs all about.

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was at Sunderland/Reading so was getting text updates from my Dad, then the lads next to me said "do you know Wolves have pulled it back to 2-1?" Didn't believe them! Absolutely over the moon with the last couple of results.

I stuck safety bets on when we still had Lage, in the hope I would lose the money and we'd stay up (I'm rubbish at gambling).

Whisper it quietly but it seems to have worked.

I can't be bothered to trawl through old threads but it did seem near unanimous he should leave at the time.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Went to Shrewsbury vs Port Vale and me and my lad got a few strange looks when the Gomes goal came through!

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is something that bugs me too . Spanish names end in z and are pronounced as a z as in Carlos Tevez . Portuguese names end in an s and are pronounced with a soft end as in Gomes(h). Fernandez is Spanish …Fernandesh is Portuguese.
I didn't know that Dyche was Portuguese :neutral:

GuzzWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Great win. Lopetegui knows this squad better than we do, and he's been here five minutes.

It wasn't even a particularly aggressive run at the ref, was it? Fernandes would be off every week if there were any fairness. I don't like dissent as it sets a bad example, but you see far worse most games. A better ref (or the same ref in a Sky 6 game) would have took him to one side and calmed him down.
Should be brought up at a higher appeal level ...Complete joke. Weak refs and hierarchy ruin the game .....Full stop. Chelsea next. I'll be there.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
15 points from 16 remaining games and we should be safe! :D

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Calmed down a bit now... utterly crazy game and if Lemina was sent off for running "aggressively" to the ref rather than for something he said, then the game is totally and utterly lost. Not going to say we deserved to win given everything going on but we truly did fight an uphill battle against 12 men today. The biggest concern is still Nunes. He is just not a Premiership footballer at the moment. He shows some nice touches but he wants far too long on the ball and is easily pushed off it.

Last week, we glossed over his performance but today it was very clear how little he contributes. He goes off on 70 mins and two mins later we equalize. Not saying that was all down to him but we did look a better balanced team thereafter.

Overall, I thought we did well to keep things to only being a goal down at half time as it gave us time to re-organise and eventually it started to pay off as Southampton went deeper and deeper. We've seen Wolves do that when defending a lead and pay the penalty and this time it worked against Saints.

More than happy to take the win and start opening a gap to third from bottom but still areas of concern. Thankfully, we have a very good manager who uses his subs well and a lot of credit goes to the players who are showing they are adaptable in games. Based on the last month, we'll easily be safe by May and as long as we stop any stupid mistakes, we won't concede too many.

Back
Top Bottom