Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The F****** Verdict: Scousers

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So you want MOTD to completely ignore what happened in the game and talk about how we nearly didn’t concede?
No I’d like them to acknowledge there were two teams on the pitch for 94 mins.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very true. In a weird way I was ****** off that we were the second game. Normally when we have a 1-0, we're always last, but because it's Liverpool they're one of the first games. MOTD showing it's bias there.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Outclassed, which to be fair doesn't happen very often these days. Liverpool first touch passing was brilliant - fast & precise which made it look like they had more players.

Barely got out of our own half and they could have easily won 4-0 if the other chances went in.

Max & RAN did really well. Hwang went missing.

Disappointed with Jota's reception - he gave us 2 of the best ever moments at molineux (man u & Leicester) and helped drag us out of the wilderness. I clapped him off.
When you say two of the best moments ever, when exactly did you start watching Wolves at Molineux?

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair enough. The issue is that fans of other clubs would have watched that game and seen us as all out defence. I’ve got mates who are adamant that we are the worst team to watch in the league (based on this season so far and last season) and you look at the stats and performances and can see why they say it.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The problems going forwards are as much about Lage's tactics and team selections. Tactically the players are miles apart and have no support due to the positioning of others, way behind and outside the box. There are no 1-2s, just send the ball wide and hope for a magical cross because we rarely have free men. No wonder we don't create anything.

Then we have team selections. Yes the squad is thin but look again. RAN, kilman and traore all had excellent games again (I know some disagree about traore but he was our only danger man for the second game in a row). All 3 are only playing due to injuries to those in front of then.

As thin as the squad is, if you never have competition for places then you'll have a problem. Marcal was awful for weeks and it took injury to get him out. Trincao has been terrible yet podence struggles to displace him and trincao's performance at (for!) norwich was one of the worst I've seen for years.

Cundle, Silva and mgw (permitted to leave) should have been getting regular 20 minute runs in the team.

The problem is as much with bruno as anyone. He's showing no flexibility and too much adherence to players not performing. The football is so poor in the opponents half and tactics so predictable, especially away from home.

Defensively he deserves credit but if you send teams out sticking 11 behind the ball then I'd sure hope you don't concede. Acceptable yesterday maybe, but even then our attacking intent was zero.

Jimenez may be off form but we never create a bloody chance so how would we know? He has no support, week in week out. Stick huang next to him with pod/trincao behind. Rotate those two with silva and traore. Fed up of this front 3. Also, traore's best has been left forward so put him back there if sticking with this.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was a superb defensive display but, I guess, when the home team sets up to defend, and their counter punch is more feeble than last season, neutrals will want the attacking team to win. It’s like a relegation threatened team desperate not to lose.

I would rather us play as we did in our opening games and lose 1-0 than be talking of an heroic defence of the Alamo.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair enough. The issue is that fans of other clubs would have watched that game and seen us as all out defence. I’ve got mates who are adamant that we are the worst team to watch in the league (based on this season so far and last season) and you look at the stats and performances and can see why they say it.

Because it's true and we are. We're dreadful to watch.

Re: motd bias - the liverpool game was important for the league and they way far more fans than us. That's why it was the second game. Victim/selfish mentality here is crazy.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone criticising after that colossal defensive display needs their brains recharging and a trip to Specsavers in my view - we were a whisker away from being the first team in god knows how long to stop them scoring. We played with a steel determination and intensity, a clear & effective game plan, and so very nearly saw it out.
Spot on

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was a superb defensive display but, I guess, when the home team sets up to defend, and their counter punch is more feeble than last season, neutrals will want the attacking team to win. It’s like a relegation threatened team desperate not to lose.

I would rather us play as we did in our opening games and lose 1-0 than be talking of an heroic defence of the Alamo.
Unfortunately had we played as we did in the first three games, then likely we would have lost by 3-4, like all the other teams who’ve played Liverpool in recent weeks. Would you prefer to have been thrashed having tried to attack more?

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was as obvious as the boil on my **** that we would concede at some point, probably with a couple of minutes to go. It's what we do. Heroic? Plucky? Spirited? We're still left with nothing!
Yes, we can blame Bruno, Hoever, Hwang or even Semedo, but we've seen it so often with Wolves; Watford, Man Utd, Newcastle, Norwich, the list goes on. We're great at stealing defeat from the jaws of victory or even parity.
We need more. Of course Liverpool is one of the best sides around, but did any one of us really expect us to hold out! I'm more annoyed that we played so poorly against Norwich and Burnley as they were both winnable games, rather than losing a point against Liverpool. We're not a million miles from being a good team, but we need more steel in the side. Bringing make-weights like Hoever and Trincao on is simply not cutting it! Our strength in depth is poor (we all know that). We'll probably finish mid-table, despite flirting with top 6. We're not ready to take on Liverpool and probably got what we deserved; us plucky losers!

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because it's true and we are. We're dreadful to watch.

Re: motd bias - the liverpool game was important for the league and they way far more fans than us. That's why it was the second game. Victim/selfish mentality here is crazy.
How is it victim or selfish mentality to expect a national tv football programme to provide at least some commentary on the other team on the pitch?

Some people are letting their negative opinion on our performance cloud their judgement on how MOTD covered the game. It was the usual Liverpool love in and even then, it was more one sided than usual.

Reactions: Ned

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What on earth do you expect them to say? Wolves are utterly boring? They have a few short minutes and people care about liverpool and the league a lot more than wolves. They aren't there to entertain you but the wider audience.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unfortunately had we played as we did in the first three games, then likely we would have lost by 3-4, like all the other teams who’ve played Liverpool in recent weeks. Would you prefer to have been thrashed having tried to attack more?
We will never know because we didn’t try. I suspect the fear gripping the team, and probably Bruno, is that we are so poor in the final third being defensively solid is our only real threat to the opposition, and a better way of avoiding defeat.

But, to be fair, all good to great teams need a defensive solidity so we are part way there!

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When Coady was injured I was internally hoping he would go off solely for the small chance we might go to a back 4.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He basically wants us to be patronised. Can’t believe someone’s annoyed because we didn’t get a ruffle of the hair and a “well done Wolves for nearly not conceding”.
Its the plucky Wolves of the eras gone by. I believe that's why people are a bit more accepting of the performance yesterday.

Reactions: Ned

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Noooooooo! As much as a back for intrigues me, December is NOT the month to go for it with these fixtures!
I realise now is not the time but I’m just desperate for us to start taking the game to teams. Very few could handle our forward players if we committed more going forwards

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes. Go down ****ing swinging not playing like Havant & Waterlooville on their big day out, and we can't pretend that being shot shy is a new thing, Norwich is calling.

Let's not forget that Liverpool were extremely unlucky yesterday, they should have put 3 or 4 past us.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So it’s the morning after and I’m a bit more balanced with things.

We battled, fought like hell and left everything on the pitch; that simply cannot be argued or criticised. I felt the defence were colossal, Semedo maybe being the weaker of the bunch but I still don’t think he was poor. Ait-Nouri was the pick for me, he played Salah brilliantly by being aggressive and getting his foot in early - not afraid of the pace. My only issue with him is that he doesn’t like playing through pain, obviously we don’t know the injury he had but he comes off quite a lot late in games (compared to others). I’m trying to work out, as with Nuno, whether the defence record being so good is down to the defenders and keeper only or because we have gone back to defending deep as an entire team.

Midfield played pretty well. I just wish that Donk has another gear and a bit of BITE to his game, when you have Neves (our technically gifted player) flying in to tackles and standing up to be counted, you want the same from the bigger and stronger midfielder at least. That said I don’t think he was poor at all, he had a decent game but didn’t have any influence on it as such.

Attack was all about Adama…. Hwang was there for work rate but didn’t really contribute a thing, you would have hardly noticed he was there. But, he isn’t a winger, that is clear. Maybe I’d play him central behind Raul and A.N Other. Speaking of Raul, he’s had a tough time of late. He’s been isolated so much and teams have started to get their centre backs right up his **** and going in hard on him (ooo errrr). Basically he is isolated, has 2 centre backs to contend with and also a deep midfielder who is in front of him and on his touch. He needs help.

Tactics wise I can see why we played how we played but I always think we are wasting our talents when we do play like that. Neves needs the ball and would grace any side in the league so seeing him doing the dogs work is admirable but also a bit of a waste when it’s all he does. There’s surely a happy medium to be reached in these games, maybe set up not just to nullify and break on sides.

Anyway, did we deserve anything from the game? Not really based on the stats but sometimes we get confused with doing better than expected and whether we actually deserved the game.

I thought we could get more points than expected this month but the Brighton and Watford games now become absolutely huge if we aren’t to plummet down the league.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I realise now is not the time but I’m just desperate for us to start taking the game to teams. Very few could handle our forward players if we committed more going forwards
That’s the frustrating thing, isn’t it? Our forward players and Neves need to play in their half. We have a fantastic array of talent (especially when Neto comes back) at our disposal which is worth way more goals to us than they are currently producing.

rubyloo

Reaction score
When you say two of the best moments ever, when exactly did you start watching Wolves at Molineux?

1970, I was five years old.

I've witnessed some good times and lots of bad times since then, but the rise under Nuno was the highlight and Jota was a massive part of it.

Sorry I wasn't watching in the 50's before I was born, but Hopefully the 70's is OK for you

PolishWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I didn't get to watch the game, not that I feel I'd have enjoyed it much. But after a game I try to get a full rounded view of what went on.

I went on the Liverpool forum to have a look at the opposition view. I don't like to stereotype fans but lord almighty do they play up to their purported victim complex. Never read from a more whiny and spiteful bunch. Think I went through 5 pages and saw only one comment give credit to the way wolves stifled their play. They claimed the ref was interrupting their play, we were playing anti football, there were many claims of traore just being a diver and pure visceral hatred towards him (ironic giving their recent diving history). Claims we feigned injury all the time.

Ridiculous set of fans. And that's rich coming from us lot.

R

reanswolf

Everyone pays their money and has the right to boo (unless its about TTK but thats another matter).

I do think its sad that Jota was booed, he gave us so much, but pleased that others sang his name and clapped him when he went off.
Why would you want to boo someone who gave us so much? Personally I just don't get it, I think It makes us look classless but again, its your right to do so if you feel that way.

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
All those other teams like the mighty Brighton, Brentford and West Ham you mean?
Even Burnley threw a couple of punches at Anfield and only lost 2-0.
Playing the way we did was a cop out and showed a total lack of faith in our players. We were the home team FFS!
It didn't work, and but for one of the worst misses I've ever seen in the flesh it could well have ended up a tonking anyway. We've played Liverpool 6 times previously in the league since coming back up and we've generally managed to give them a game without resorting to those anti-football tactics.
If we do it again next week at City, it's a guaranteed loss.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn't get to watch the game, not that I feel I'd have enjoyed it much. But after a game I try to get a full rounded view of what went on.

I went on the Liverpool forum to have a look at the opposition view. I don't like to stereotype fans but lord almighty do they play up to their purported victim complex. Never read from a more whiny and spiteful bunch. Think I went through 5 pages and saw only one comment give credit to the way wolves stifled their play. They claimed the ref was interrupting their play, we were playing anti football, there were many claims of traore just being a diver and pure visceral hatred towards him (ironic giving their recent diving history). Claims we feigned injury all the time.

Ridiculous set of fans. And that's rich coming from us lot.
I mean, they're absolutely on the money.

rubyloo

Reaction score
All those other teams like the mighty Brighton, Brentford and West Ham you mean?
Even Burnley threw a couple of punches at Anfield and only lost 2-0.
Playing the way we did was a cop out and showed a total lack of faith in our players. We were the home team FFS!
It didn't work, and but for one of the worst misses I've ever seen in the flesh it could well have ended up a tonking anyway. We've played Liverpool 6 times previously in the league since coming back up and we've generally managed to give them a game without resorting to those anti-football tactics.
If we do it again next week at City, it's a guaranteed loss.

I'm not sure it was deliberate - we couldn't get the bloody ball off them.

We worked our socks off but found it almost impossible to get into their half let alone carve out any chances. They battered us.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think there’s a tendency on here (maybe it’s fans in general of any team) but when results don’t go our way it’s always about what we didn’t do rather than about how good the opposition is. Liverpool were unreal yesterday with a team of players who from 1 to 11 absolutely walk into our team yet barring 60 seconds we nearly got a draw out of.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just watched Jota's miss again. Got to be miss of the season. Almost like he felt sorry for us.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean, they're absolutely on the money.
Harsh but true.
On the whole. We time wasted, feigned injuries. Traore on occasion goes down easily, other times less so. I don't think the ref was biased I think he had a good game. Anti football, god yes, but I saw it as a specific game plan, the problem is it seems our default against any opposition most of the time.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seriously, do you have one positive thing to say about the club you purport to support?
The kits look amazing.

Just because I support doesn't mean I'm going to not take the gold tinted glasses off and see it for what it is.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another thing though:

Would we rather be a “tough” game for these sides; not saying it was tough as such but we still carried a threat at times. But have to sit in, surrender possession and play like underdogs.

Or would we rather be a nice team who gets comfortably rolled over but has a go and a few moments, ultimately losing by 2 or 3?

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I expected to see a generally positive verdict thread as we came so close to a point against one of the best teams in the world. Yes not much threat but I didn't expect us to have many chances.
Should have expected what I have seen, where it seems some would rather we had gone toe to toe and lost by 4 or 5.
It would have been a great point.
Expect similar against Man City.
Criticism if we are as negative against Brighton is fair.

Back
Top Bottom