Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The case for Warnock

AW

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only in SOUTH Yorkshire

Called Colin because it's the first name of an anagram of his name.
The remaining letters being RWKNAE
:cool:

Dee Dah ham shanker

That's tenuous!!

He's a legend in the kingdom of Scarborough as well!

Wolfie2

Reaction score
When NW is working as a manager, is Keith Curle still one of his coaches?

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've got a lot of time for Warnock as a bloke. He was gracious in defeat at Cardiff, and he's quite funny and insightful on his media interviews -- the way he dissected the cheating Van Persie's conning of refs was masterful (and absolutely true). Of the three that have been touted, I think he might be the most succesful in the short term at keeping us up, but I would not want him long term at all. But as a short-term fire-fighter he's credible... and therefore may get it!

J

johnybig32

Warnock is the same as MM though isnt it?

However, MM doesnt have relegations against him.

S

SimplyTheWolves

Does anybody really believe it will be Warnock? Come on chaps get real. There’s more chance of Mick being reinstalled.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does anybody really believe it will be Warnock? Come on chaps get real. There’s more chance of Mick being reinstalled.

No one has shot down my arguments yet.

Jez and his suited interview panel will have boxes to tick and criteria they are looking for.

They won't care if Warnock once told someone to crock Bully.

They won't care if his name forms a comedy anogram.

They won't even care about Lynx Wolf's profound and researched argument that he "doesn't like him".

They will base it on logic and I'm afraid that for a 13 match stint at the end of the season, logic points to Warnock over Curbishley TO STAY UP.

J

johnybig32

Warnock has taken teams down before and was taking this exspensive QPR team down.

That shoots down your argument. MASSIVELY.

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Warnock's the reason that as an impressionable Yorkshire lad I refused to support Utd, even though I was born within 2 miles of the Lane.

The man's got no class, look at the West Ham fallout, and years before that, when we got promoted at their expense he was scathing of Leicester too.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

OldWolvesfart

The worrying point is his odds have shortened from an average of 14-1 to 5-1.
Be afraid be very afraid.

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Jez and his suited interview panel will have boxes to tick and criteria they are looking for.

They won't even care about Lynx Wolf's profound and researched argument that he "doesn't like him".

They will base it on logic and I'm afraid that for a 13 match stint at the end of the season, logic points to Warnock over Curbishley TO STAY UP.

Based on that logic surely Jez will go with what he knows works:

Out of work manager.
Ex Sunderland Manager.
=
Steve Bruce.

AW

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Based on that logic surely Jez will go with what he knows works:

Out of work manager.
Ex Sunderland Manager.
=
Steve Bruce.

I see your Steve Bruce and raise you Peter Reid!!

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Ok...I still maintain that I wouldn't want him for his previous comments and conduct but I'll try and be constructive and argue your point about a '13 match-stint at the end of a season' with statistics.

In the 2006-2007 season, Warnock's Sheffield United gained 11 points from their last 13 fixtures and were relegated.

Over the same 13 matches at the tail-end of a season, Curbishley's West Ham picked up nearly twice as many, with 21 points and survived.

*only fair to add though that 3 of those 11 points for Sheffield United did come from a 3-0 home win against Curbishley's West Ham.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Warnock has taken teams down before and was taking this exspensive QPR team down.

That shoots down your argument. MASSIVELY.

Mick was recruited for a specific scenario 5 years ago, when we needed to be built up with a decimated squad.

Mick had failed in his previous job and took Sunderland down.

Mick was seen by everyone as a tough talking, dour, gritty Yorkshireman who didn't play stylish football and would have figured poorly in fan polls at the time (Ince was favourite I think?)

And Jez and his interview team decided Mick was the man for the job.

Wolv3nsam

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't understand why we're apparently interviewing Warnock - he doesn't fit the bill AT ALL. Curbishley and (before his dour Sunderland reign) Bruce have a record of keeping teams up and establishing them which is the 'experience' criteria Morgan stated. If we appoint 'Colin' it just screams that we're accepting relegation and are rebuilding for next season, in which case I'd have preferred the Yorkshire, much more likeable Championship manager we had.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get it, you ignore the posts that shoot you down!

When you try to shoot someone down it doesn't actually mean you have been successful by pronouncing it.

If a comedian laughs at his own joke, does that mean his joke is funny?

wolf97

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok...I still maintain that I wouldn't want him for his previous comments and conduct but I'll try and be constructive and argue your point about a '13 match-stint at the end of a season' with statistics.

In the 2006-2007 season, Warnock's Sheffield United gained 11 points from their last 13 fixtures and were relegated.

Over the same 13 matches at the tail-end of a season, Curbishley's West Ham picked up nearly twice as many, with 21 points and survived.

*only fair to add though that 3 of those 11 points for Sheffield United did come from a 3-0 home win against Curbishley's West Ham.

Those 21 points came from the last 9 games!

wolf97

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When you try to shoot someone down it doesn't actually mean you have been successful by pronouncing it.

If a comedian laughs at his own joke, does that mean his joke is funny?

Yes. Lee Evans does.

S

SimplyTheWolves

If that's the case and we fail to stay up, they know why Warnock was sacked, so the logic will turn who ever chose Warnock into a fool(s) of massive proportions. They must know this, so to me it's not logical.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Warnock has the 'biggest' personality of the 3, but his tactical nouse is no better than Mick's. Bruce is even worse. Curbs is the best of the 3.

J

johnybig32

He did. And it hurts me to say it.If he hadnt failed, he would still be here, doing exactly what Warnock would be doing.

Tring Wolf

Reaction score
Those 21 points came from the last 9 games!

I was just trying to be fair and answer the question around suitability for for 13-match stint at the end of a season.

If I was being really pedantic, I could have said that when the pressure was really on, West Ham picked up 12 points out of 12 from their last 4 games (including a trip to Old Trafford) whilst Sheffield United only picked up 4 points which included home games against relegated Watford and a last day defeat against relegation rivals Wigan.

Last day against Wigan....why does that sound familiar....

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was just trying to be fair and answer the question around suitability for for 13-match stint at the end of a season.

If I was being really pedantic, I could have said that when the pressure was really on, West Ham picked up 12 points out of 12 from their last 4 games (including a trip to Old Trafford) whilst Sheffield United only picked up 4 points which included home games against relegated Watford and a last day defeat against relegation rivals Wigan.

Last day against Wigan....why does that sound familiar....

Curbishly was working with Tevez and Mascherano.

Warnock was working with Paddy Kenny.

Warnock has more chance of getting a tune out of a Mick McCarthy squad than Curbishly.

Curbishley is a better manager, no question. But has he more chance of keeping us up for 13 games? Mick was sacked because they felt he was taking us down. They won't bring someone in to build and breath a new footballing philosophy into the club for the rest of this season. They will bring a fire fighter in, I reckon.

Wolv3nsam

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Warnock may be a fire fighter, but if we survive it'll be the same next season as it was under McCarthy. Curbishley and to an extent even Bruce could push us on, and that is what the board will bear in mind.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't support his appointment but I can certainly see your logic on this.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Warnock may be a fire fighter, but if we survive it'll be the same next season as it was under McCarthy. Curbishley and to an extent even Bruce could push us on, and that is what the board will bear in mind.

Read the original thread.

It's a 13 game appointment.

AND IT COULD HAPPEN (Duck and cover)

Tring Wolf

Reaction score
Curbishly was working with Tevez and Mascherano.

Warnock was working with Paddy Kenny.

Warnock has more chance of getting a tune out of a Mick McCarthy squad than Curbishly.

Curbishley is a better manager, no question. But has he more chance of keeping us up for 13 games? Mick was sacked because they felt he was taking us down. They won't bring someone in to build and breath a new footballing philosophy into the club for the rest of this season. They will bring a fire fighter in, I reckon.

That made me laugh mate. I've always said that Paddy Kenny is a world-class goalkeeper ;)

Just wanted to attempt to shoot down your arguments with something a bit stronger than my personal opinion of Warnock. I also think that if Curbishley is a better manager, he would get more out any group of players than Warnock. Could be completely wrong though.

Going back to one of your points about Jez appointing a fire-fighter and a motivator, part of me thinks that he may well appoint Bruce rather than Curbishley. Curbishley comes across as very mild-mannered and considered and I just wonder if Jez may get swayed by Bruce's more apparent passion in any interview.

Out of the three, my preference would be Curbishley but you never know how Jez and Steve will see it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And think about it....

Curbishley & Bruce will both demand a contract beyond 13 games.

Warnock will not. It suits him to just go in for 13 games, nothing to lose. He can say he has done it in the prem then if he keeps us up. If he fails, it's Mick's team.

Plus, everyone associates him with being on the verge of taking QPR down this season. It would quash that perception if he succeeded.

Warnock is one of the only appointments where the Wolves Board can shake hands at the end of 13 games, take stock of their league status and then decide on the blueprint.

Sacking Mick was a hurried decision. This one needs to be too. But Jez Moxey & Morgan don't like hurried decisions. And they certainly won't want to live with one for 3 or 4 years. They'll want a quick out from this.

The logic is coming through. Brace yourselves.

Back
Top Bottom