Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Thanks Conor.

Lupo Italiano

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On Talk Sport in a mo if interested.

Main points:

Hated pre-season, always training, always available but could sense something was coming

Keeps hearing that he has left because of the WC but that’s not the case

He’s 29 and wants to play all the time

Speaking to Frank was great, could tell he believed in him

Hated it at Leeds sat on the bench

Absolutely Loves Wolves the football club

Last few weeks have been tough, had a feeling that things weren’t right

Appreciative of Wolves for letting him go like they have, a special club with special people but he wanted to be at Everton

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Main points:

Hated pre-season, always training, always available but could sense something was coming

Appreciative of Wolves for letting him go like they have, a special club with special people but he wanted to be at Everton
Going from front and centre of the club to unwanted it is unsurprising that he wanted to go.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Main points:

I think everyone has handled the move really well even if the deal isnt a great one for us. If only we could move on the likes of Adama and Cutrone as quickly, efficiently and easily as Conor.

fleck1

Reaction score
You can understand him wanting to play with it being his only shot at going to a world cup. Obviously being captain and hardly missing a game for 5 or 6 years it's a bit out of your comfort zone having to fight for your shirt. It's interesting that he decided to walk rather than prove the manager wrong, is that an acceptance from him that he's limited to playing in a back three. He's been great for the club, couldn't ask for a better ambassador but feel it's the right move he was Nunos leader, time for Bruno to have his own man at the heart of the dressing room.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can understand him wanting to play with it being his only shot at going to a world cup. Obviously being captain and hardly missing a game for 5 or 6 years it's a bit out of your comfort zone having to fight for your shirt. It's interesting that he decided to walk rather than prove the manager wrong, is that an acceptance from him that he's limited to playing in a back three. He's been great for the club, couldn't ask for a better ambassador but feel it's the right move he was Nunos leader, time for Bruno to have his own man at the heart of the dressing room.

I still think the world cup year has a lot to do with it. He only has a limited amount of time before they finalise the squad you can see why he was very keen to get a move and start playing.

fleck1

Reaction score
I still think the world cup year has a lot to do with it. He only has a limited amount of time before they finalise the squad you can see why he was very keen to get a move and start playing.
I don't think anyone begrudges him wanting the best opportunity of being at the world cup. Its a little disappointing at the first sign of having to really earn the jersey he decided to leave instead. Personally feel it was the right time and its best for all parties, he's a strong personality in and around the club and we need Bruno to make his mark. Just expected a little more fight from him after 7 years.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think anyone begrudges him wanting the best opportunity of being at the world cup. Its a little disappointing at the first sign of having to really earn the jersey he decided to leave instead. Personally feel it was the right time and its best for all parties, he's a strong personality in and around the club and we need Bruno to make his mark. Just expected a little more fight from him after 7 years.

Any other year i think he stays until January and see's how it goes. I think he's earned the right to be a little selfish regarding his career.

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So his interview on talksport this morning really doesn't help his cause whatsoever.

Really makes it sound like he turned up for Pre-Season, got wind that Lage wanted to move to a back 4, felt like he wouldn't be involved, so instigated his move away. Leeds was the final straw.

We need to move on, he clearly decided to pretty quickly.

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't help but feel let down by Conor after those quotes. I'm not going to insult him if he is wanted and the club is willing to let him go them he's within his rights to move.

I guess I just had a higher expectation of him as a man just seems like first sign of trouble was all it took for his supposedly love and loyalty of the club to go.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
You just can’t help the sly digs sad really
I didn't read that as a sly dig? Thinks it's understandable when someone has a huge role at the club, plays every game and then has to play in the B team and then finds himself on the bench with very little influence.

What I got from the interview was that it wasn't about the world cup. He just wants to play all the time. He had enough of not playing regularly in his earlier Wolves career, and now he's 29 and doesn't want to spend the rest of his career on the bench. Can't really work hard and win his place back because it's a change of formation and he's always worked hard so the manager already knows what he's about but doesn't see him fitting into the team.

Also, as much as he loved Wolves and gained his international reputation with us, he also appreciates the sacrifices his family have made. Going back to the Liverpool area where his wife and kids could be close to their grandparents and larger family probably played a huge role in the decision. When Everton came in for him there is no way he was ever going to West Ham. Think it's a great move for him and Everton. Whilst a loan isn't great for us it does show us in a good light as a club, rewarding someone who has given his all and been a huge part of our previous success.

Think deserves one last welcome back at Molineux and then we can all move on. He will be 100% Everton now and that's where his loyalty lies.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You just can’t help the sly digs sad really
No sly digs, just how l see it. I actually think that it was right to at least try moving to a four. l would though have tried to reassure Coady not least because if four doesn't work...

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
More justification for Lage putting his stamp on the club and breaking up the cosy club that had clearly developed in the dressing room.

That's one way of putting it. Destroying the great team atmosphere and "one pack" mentality is another.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's one way of putting it. Destroying the great team atmosphere and "one pack" mentality is another.
I'd suggest that things had got a bit stale during Nuno's last season to be honest, just that it's took a bit of time to see some changes being implemented.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm constantly shocked by how easily offended some people are at even the slightest lack of positivity about Wolves.

He hasn't criticised the club. He's just said he wasn't happy sitting on the bench, which personally I think is fair enough. It's not like he was dropped for underperforming, in which case you could reasonably expect him to "fight for his place", he was dropped because we don't want a sweeper, and that's what he is. It's safe enough for Coady to have assumed this wouldn't be a system we're trialling for a couple of games, but is a thought-out decision, that we're unlikely to go back on.

If he'd sat on our bench collecting a captain's salary for the rest of his contract, then IMO there would be far more cause to criticise him, than for wanting to actually play football at the age of 29.

Wolfy McWolf-Face

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Hmm....I think sulking because your not an auto starter is very much going to dent any team atmosphere and pack mentality. Your captain only wants to lead by example if he's picked to play every week - hardly good for the dressing room. And yes he sulked, we've seen him in the friendlies, at Leeds and even his wife and mother commented that he'd not been smiling.

Not saying he's wrong to be disappointed, wouldn't want him to be happy about not playing but the reaction is all negative in my opinion.

Regardless, has been a fantastic leader and role model for many years and I wish him well.

Point of my response was lets not make Coady negative comments be a negative slur on Bruno. Seems quite clear that Bruno and the club were open and honest and even took a **** deal to help him move on. The dressing room will respect Bruno and the club for the 'if you do right by us then we'll do right by you' approach.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Put a microphone or interviewer in front of Coady and he ‘really really can’t, to be honest..’ not rattle away for England, he really, really can’t, to be honest.
His kids are already wearing the blue shirt, it’s time he does the same and stfu and plays his football. Time for all parties to move on.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Hmm....I think sulking because your not an auto starter is very much going to dent any team atmosphere and pack mentality. Your captain only wants to lead by example if he's picked to play every week - hardly good for the dressing room. And yes he sulked, we've seen him in the friendlies, at Leeds and even his wife and mother commented that he'd not been smiling.

Not saying he's wrong to be disappointed, wouldn't want him to be happy about not playing but the reaction is all negative in my opinion.

Regardless, has been a fantastic leader and role model for many years and I wish him well.

Point of my response was lets not make Coady negative comments be a negative slur on Bruno. Seems quite clear that Bruno and the club were open and honest and even took a **** deal to help him move on. The dressing room will respect Bruno and the club for the 'if you do right by us then we'll do right by you' approach.
You can be unhappy and not your usual bubbly self, struggling with new circumstances, without it meaning you're sulking.

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This will be the line towed by those who are happy to stagnate and finish 10th - 15th every year.

Most of us don't fit that mould - most of us want progression and excitement.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"I got a vibe that something's coming here, something's not right.

"It didn't feel the same."

Our club captain because our manager dared change formation after two years of dull, uninspiring football.

I think people are reading way to much into things to suit themselves. No doubt things had changed and he did probably feel like a change was coming that didnt favour him. It happens, doesnt have to be any ulterior motives involved, doesnt have to be anything sinister, just a player who wanted to play and could see he wasnt going to, and a manager who wanted to do things a different way.

There clearly hasnt been any falling out between them, or Conor and the club. Just time for a change for both parties. Puzzles me why people are desperately trying to look for a different narrative with this whole situation.

Wolfy McWolf-Face

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You can be unhappy and not your usual bubbly self, struggling with new circumstances, without it meaning you're sulking.

Fair point. Either way he had a chance to lead by example and fight for his shirt but chose the exit door instead.

I think it is about the WC but he won't state that publicly because there's no guarantee he goesn in any case. Southgate may chose ability over his personality this time around. Hope note, would still love to see him walk out for England in a real tournament.

I'm not anti Coady but anti anybody trying to turn this into a negative wolves/Bruno piece when its clear who instigated the move and why - straight from the horses mouth.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This will be the line towed by those who are happy to stagnate and finish 10th - 15th every year.

Most of us don't fit that mould - most of us want progression and excitement.

Players and people around the club will miss Conor, he's a top bloke, but it still doesnt have to mean the move was right for everyone, which it was. The club would be in pretty poor shape if losing one admittedly popular and influential player destroyed the team spirit.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair point. Either way he had a chance to lead by example and fight for his shirt but chose the exit door instead.

But he wasn't dropped for underperforming, he was dropped because we don't want a sweeper, so what good would "fighting for his shirt" have done, other than being a nice sounding line to use?

In any other job, he'd have gone through a redundancy process when we switched to a back 4.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think it is about the WC but he won't state that publicly because there's no guarantee he goesn in any case. Southgate may chose ability over his personality this time around. Hope note, would still love to see him walk out for England in a real tournament.

I'm not anti Coady but anti anybody trying to turn this into a negative wolves/Bruno piece when its clear who instigated the move and why - straight from the horses mouth.

Why are some trying to turn it into a negative Coady piece?

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score

It doesn't have to be negative towards Conor or the club.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And what if Lampard moves to a back 4 or drops Coady to the bench? Does he sulk then or is that then ok..? All very strange to me. I can only think that as captain he’d have felt uncomfortable on the bench at Wolves. Better players than him have had to suck that up and get on with it.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Some of the comments on here are just ridiculous. He knows he's great in a 5 and limited in a 4 and even if he thinks he can play in a 4, it's clear his manager doesn't agree. So sit on the bench at 29 or move to play somewhere that you're wanted? I can't see how anyone can criticise him (or Lage, or the club) on the basis of what we know. The only caveat is the terms of the loan deal / permanent transfer, but I'm a bit reminded of Andy Mutch leaving, in a tough commercial world maybe sometimes there's a bit of room for respecting someone who's given their all.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And what if Lampard moves to a back 4 or drops Coady to the bench? Does he sulk then or is that then ok..? All very strange to me. I can only think that as captain he’d have felt uncomfortable on the bench at Wolves. Better players than him have had to suck that up and get on with it.

Well thats the risk he is taking i guess. Lampard must have said its his plan to play with a 3. If he was only going to be a bench player i have no doubt he would have stayed here.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
TBH, there were times when he had the opportunity last year in a back four and it didn't quite work out, then he started to get subbed a fair bit towards the end of the season. This wasn't just about the pre-season, he knows its been coming a while, even Nuno flirted briefly with a back four at one point.

I think there is a lot about being back in the bosom of their close family, particularly from his wife, and that's their personal choice, purely on footballing choice he surely would have picked West Ham, and I think a lot of what he is saying right now is about justifying his choice of loan.

Back
Top Bottom