Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Thanks Conor.

Vtrpres

Groupie
Reaction score
It doesn’t matter what team sport you play, the first man picked is the long term captain then the best quad round him for the opposition of the day and the venue, home or away.
What do we do? We give the captain away.
If you trepanned the management at Wolves and scraped the brains out you wouldn’t have enough to fill an eggshell.
Good luck Connor, I hope you do really well up at Everton and would like to see you in a role at the WC.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That is a woeful story to read!

That isn’t how a professional club behaves and shows why it is going to heck in a hand basket.

Also explains why conor wasn’t at the races in pre-season. It must have been horrible for him after so many great years and to be treated like that is a bloody disgrace.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whether we were right to let him go is one thing, but, when we did, we did him a huge favour on the price we let him go for.

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Muddle headed, crude and plain wrong!
An appalling piece of work by those responsible, and we are reaping the rewards.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s what a sporting director is there for

Bruno should have also had a word but I doubt he knew Conor would be let go

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s what a sporting director is there for

Bruno should have also had a word but I doubt he knew Conor would be let go

Reckon he knew exactly what was going on with Conor and he was a part of it, hence the post from his sister. Saiss and Ruddy i dont think he wanted to leave.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reading it again, I still see it as poor from coady.

No player is a given in the 11. You have to earn it.

And at pre season 2 players were considered better than you for that formation.

He seems to have wanted to go , instead of fight for a place “at this great club etc. etc.”

We actually did him a massive favour as it’s quite clear we helped him out for the World Cup ahead of our own squad depth .

Although it was probably for the best given he “found it difficult to support” during the Leeds game, having been dropped for one ****ing game

CodsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No one said anything.. just wasn’t involved anymore. Club Captain of 5 years..

That’s pretty disappointing to read.
Wolves ‘poor communication shocker’. What a surprise.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He seems to have wanted to go , instead of fight for a place “at this great club etc. etc.”

We actually did him a massive favour as it’s quite clear we helped him out for the World Cup ahead of our own squad depth .

Although it was probably for the best given he “found it difficult to support” during the Leeds game, having been dropped for one ****ing game
He won't kick a ball in the world cup (unless we are absolutely coasting through the group stage....which I very much doubt).

So this angle of allowing him to go to the world cup by not sitting on the bench for us seems a bit strange.

He'd have got far more practice for his designated role in the world cup by staying at Wolves on the bench as a cheer leader and interviewee.

molineux man

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He was dropped to the bench for a couple of games due to poor form (his woeful defending against Pukki in the last home game of last season springs to mind), nothing wrong with that. Same thing happens to a lot of captains such as Maguire. Don't think it requires an in-depth discussion from Lage.

If he'd stayed and fought for his place he would have had countless opportunities to get back in the team and would have likely been a first team regular again by now.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was dropped to the bench for a couple of games due to poor form (his woeful defending against Pukki in the last home game of last season springs to mind), nothing wrong with that. Same thing happens to a lot of captains such as Maguire. Don't think it requires an in-depth discussion from Lage.

If he'd stayed and fought for his place he would have had countless opportunities to get back in the team and would have likely been a first team regular again by now.

The way he was being treated most likely contributed to his poor form. As it has done for the rest of them.

Managers pick the team, not the players. If a manager decides to pick player A ahead of B and player B turns out better, then the manager has got it wrong.

A smart recruitment team would have been looking to get Tarkowski in, rather than move Coady out.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t blame him for wanting to go, having been told he was surplus to requirements.

But I do think he and the club lacked foresight. Most of us knew Bruno was on borrowed time and the switch to a 4 may not be a permanent fixture.

Easy for me to say with hindsight but he’d be first choice in a back 5 right now. He may even get in ahead of Kilman in a 4 as his form has been patchy.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Its probably the way that clown of a manager was treating him and the lack of respect the club seems to be showing good servants. Its an obvious theme now when its not just an isolated incident.

If he was offered a better chance at starting elsewhere, especially with whats going on here, then you can hardly criticise the bloke for just wanting to play football. I think its fairly obvious Lage wasnt going to play him, he must have pretty much made it clear to him. Whats he supposed to do, just sit back and collect his paycheck knowing the manager doesnt want him? He would get crucified for doing that as well by some people.

kentish wolf

Reaction score
Whatever happened around Mid March we have simply not recovered from it and seem to be in free fall.
So many bad decisions, no fight ,no interest and no pride.
What I have witnessed over the last 10 games is an absolute gutless surrender.
We don't only need a manager we also need players who want to play for us.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Still the way I see it from everything that has come out since.

Obviously Bruno and given Sellars role, I'd say him too, handled it badly and should have advised Coady we're looking to evolve (I mean I'd have thought all the players would have been advised in such a shift in the way of playing and how it'd change for them personally) but they didn't exactly do what Gerrard at Villa did to Mings did they?

He was still club captain, still had the opportunity to win his place back, although his struggles in pre-season showed he had a long way to go to do that, and players know how short a managers stay can be.

He chose the world cup ahead of continuing his career here ultimately and wasn't up for the fight, even when the current England manager wouldn't even bring him on for 10 minutes at Molineux in a game that was all but over, I'm sure he'll make the squad and it'll be a huge honor for him.

If he's going to keep doing these media rounds about it, it'd be nice for one journalist to put it back to him, didn't you think you owed it to Wolves to maybe stay, accept that they were trying to change and fight for your place back?

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought Craig Dawson would've been a good replacement for him in terms of experience, as well as being an upgrade in terms of playing in a back 4.

The inability to replace him if someone experienced shows how naive Shi and Sellars are. Kilman and Collins have looked decent at times but very ropey at others, not much experience between them in the grand scheme of things and don't even get me started on our only backups of Toti and Mosquera. Not PL standard.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sick to death of hearing about or seeing this bloke.

We always have to obsess over one player/reason for things being as they are. Does anyone genuinely believe we'd be mid table and playing riveting football had we kept Coady?

For how **** we are, Everton were 1 point ahead of us last weekend. They won't be pulling up any trees either.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still the way I see it from everything that has come out since.

Obviously Bruno and given Sellars role, I'd say him too, handled it badly and should have advised Coady we're looking to evolve (I mean I'd have thought all the players would have been advised in such a shift in the way of playing and how it'd change for them personally) but they didn't exactly do what Gerrard at Villa did to Mings did they?

He was still club captain, still had the opportunity to win his place back, although his struggles in pre-season showed he had a long way to go to do that, and players know how short a managers stay can be.

He chose the world cup ahead of continuing his career here ultimately and wasn't up for the fight, even when the current England manager wouldn't even bring him on for 10 minutes at Molineux in a game that was all but over, I'm sure he'll make the squad and it'll be a huge honor for him.

If he's going to keep doing these media rounds about it, it'd be nice for one journalist to put it back to him, didn't you think you owed it to Wolves to maybe stay, accept that they were trying to change and fight for your place back?
Agreed

Also those that say he is doing well at Everton. He has 2 cdms sat in front of him and they play a deep line to cater for him

We don’t have 2 cdms. ( we won’t even play the 1 we do have ffs)

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does anyone genuinely believe we'd be mid table and playing riveting football had we kept Coady?
Seeing as mid-table is about 5 points above where we are now, I'd say yes we would have been there or thereabouts. Coady's influence on the pitch (and being a much needed extra central defender) has been a huge miss. There is no one else I would remotely call a leader or an organiser.

MIKE SLATER

Groupie
Reaction score

If it's true the Manager was not communicating with him, then he had little choice but to leave

MIKE SLATER

Groupie
Reaction score
Sick to death of hearing about or seeing this bloke.

We always have to obsess over one player/reason for things being as they are. Does anyone genuinely believe we'd be mid table and playing riveting football had we kept Coady?

For how **** we are, Everton were 1 point ahead of us last weekend. They won't be pulling up any trees either.
Everton have improved with Coady, Wolves have deteriorated without him.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For Coady to say ‘I probably wasn’t going to be involved’ is a lie.

We, quite clearly, had no plans to buy another centre-back. It took Boly’s refusal to turn up for us to go in the market.

Coady was involved at Leeds. Well at least I think you’re involved if you make the bench.

All the signs suggest he was third choice.

And he quite simply couldn’t accept that.

That’s someone having an ego and it goes against everything we thought Coady was about.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed

Also those that say he is doing well at Everton. He has 2 cdms sat in front of him and they play a deep line to cater for him

We don’t have 2 cdms. ( we won’t even play the 1 we do have ffs)

Have you not watched us play the last 5 years?

All Neves and Moutinho do is sit in the CDM position in front of the CB's and play the ball from deep.

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

We, quite clearly, had no plans to buy another centre-back. It took Boly’s refusal to turn up for us to go in the market.

Coady was involved at Leeds. Well at least I think you’re involved if you make the bench.

That’s someone having an ego and it goes against everything we thought Coady was about.
Basically. This quote:

"I was trying to figure out what was going on and then it came to a point at the end of pre-season where it was tough, because I'm just a player who loves playing footy. It's so hard for me to go into training every day and not have something to be working towards at the end of the week."

He had one week where he wasn't in the first team and he admits he found it difficult to deal with. Sounds like it's either being captain/first-choice for Coady or he's not interested and wants to get away.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Exactly.

I could spend all day slating the current regime, but all they did here was do Coady a massive favor. As usual, the problem was not replacing him.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
It's a hell of a conundrum for fans. On one hand we are quick with the "drop him/sell him/not good enough/I'll drive him there myself" rhetoric when we think a player isn't good enough for team and in Conor's case, how often did we say that before Nuno came in?

On the other we are also quick to criticise the clubs handling of the situation when they do let a player move on and we don't thing it's been done fairly, in this case it's been spotlighted because of the mess we're in right now.

If we were pushing for Europe right now I doubt anyone would really care about Conor, Romain and/or John and how they left the club. It's because we didn't bring in the defensive quality and experience we needed and also have a lack of characters/dressing room leaders that we are bemoaning the situation. That's the real issue here.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly.

I could spend all day slating the current regime, but all they did here was do Coady a massive favor. As usual, the problem was not replacing him.

I dont think they were wrong to let Coady go, and i dont think Coady was wrong to want to go and play first team football instead of being a backup player either. Any player worth his salt would want to play every week.

I still think after hearing Ruddy and Saiss now, i do think its probably more than likely they didnt handle the situation very well at all. The big mistake as well all know is getting rid of every leader and major character at the club.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont think they were wrong to let Coady go, and i dont think Coady was wrong to want to go and play first team football instead of being a backup player either. Any player worth his salt would want to play every week.

I still think after hearing Ruddy and Saiss now, i do think its probably more than likely they didnt handle the situation very well at all. The big mistake as well all know is getting rid of every leader and major character at the club.

That's fair enough, and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it was handled in a poor way, despite Coady ultimately getting what he wanted out of it.

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Basket case of a club now destined for an almighty fall into the lower leagues if the same people are left to manage our affairs.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He won't kick a ball in the world cup (unless we are absolutely coasting through the group stage....which I very much doubt).

So this angle of allowing him to go to the world cup by not sitting on the bench for us seems a bit strange.

He'd have got far more practice for his designated role in the world cup by staying at Wolves on the bench as a cheer leader and interviewee.
Don't you still pick up a winners medal if you're part of the squad? Just asking as it may be important to a player in their career.

I know, we have to win first but that's another debate.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady is not coming back to Wolves to play in the Championship, on the reduced wages that will be part of the relegation when he is playing for his home-town club in the Prem.
Just another example of the self-inflicted implosion at Molineux.

Back
Top Bottom