Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Sven Botman (Lille)

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Broadly agree but the love in signing of Silva would in any other industry have likely cost Shi his job
Actually that's a good point. I have patience for every young player we sign but it's perhaps not looking like a masterstroke at present

Houston Lobo

Reaction score
We know what's coming, because Fosun have never really done permanent first team business in January.

In January windows, we they normally sign youth prospects, convert loans to permanents (Costa & Jonny), or look for short-term loans for positions where we are short (Afobe in 2018 and Jose this year).

Outside of that, the only permanent first team signings we have made in a January window are Ben Marshall in January 2017 and Podence in January 2020. That's because they became available to us for an acceptable price.

It has been said many times the club's long-term strategy is to buy players of the right age for value and then improve them. If our targets become available for an acceptable price, we will probably pull the trigger. If not, we will stick with what we have and look at other ways to supplement the squad in the short-term based on positional needs (loans, loan-recalls, etc.), as we have done in previous January windows.

They aren't just going to go and buy over-priced players, who haven't been identified as targets previously or researched fully. Anyone can do a Harry Redknapp style trolley-dash and throw as much mud at a wall, hoping that some sticks. We did that before when Fosun first took over and we all know how that ended!!

People think that signing no players is a result of poor planning and strategy, when in reality it's probably more about very precise planning over the long-term, targeted recruitment of specific players, and strict financial discipline.

Also, what needs to be considered is how the previous coach viewed the January window.

(And I’m not using this as a stick to bash him but) Nuno may have been offered more than the single arrivals that came in during his January windows and said “you’re alright”. We simply don’t know.

Lage may take a different view especially in light of Saiss and Boly departing, and the resurrection of the interest and availability in Hwang makes me slightly more confident.

So I don’t expect a number of incomings, I wouldn’t be surprised at 2 or 3.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont know but buying good players at sensible prices is never a bad strategy. Finding, developing and promoting good younger players is not a bad strategy either. I think there is an argument for questionable execution but most players we have bought in have been of decent quality. To some extent it is also about patience. A club our size needs a crop of players to come through at the same time, either from external sources or the devlopment squad and then have a manager who can bring it all together. Thats not easy to to do granted . But fans taken as a group will always have a requirement for more or new players. The club has to be wary of bringing in new players for the sake of it, as that is where you can get hamstrung - you get to the point where you have too much deadwood and you cant afford to bring in what you need even when it is available at affordable proces. Then you are vulnerable to sliding multiple divisions in one go, as things start to spiral.

A small squad is okay in my opinion, but ours is just a bit too small, especially in midfield. With hindsight if it is true that Sanches was available we should have bought him in, but of course if his injury had failed to heal as hoped and he hadnt played there would been a group of fans saying what a ridiculous decision, so they cant really win. I think it is to their credit that FOSUN dont panic and take a pragmatic view but at the same time they are prone to cutting it a bit fine. My perosnal issue was letting Gibbs White go out on loan given that we didnt have anyone coming in, but there you go.

I expect our strategy will be to loan a centre half in January, and/or bring back Sanderson and/or drop Dendoncker back into defence. It will cover us for three or four games. We may bring back Ronan or Gibbs White for midfield or look for someone who is available at sensible price. Nothing much will happen until the end of the window. Thats the reality of it. In the meantime i hope Bruno can get what we have playing attacking football again, because I just have the feeling that after the initial burst of enthusiasm for playing attacking football, the players are starting to slip into indifferece again. That is where our real problems lie.

Yes. I just think there's a bit too much instant rejection of anyone over the age of about 25 as "too old". Join that with anyone over about £30M as "too expensive". Often backed up with "it's Fosun's policy, everybody knows". I'm not sure anyone here (other than Jeff's secret Mix account!) knows Fosun's policy. And that policy has changed and will change.

We have a decent squad already, but in terms of establishing in top half the table, it still has weaknesses and is dependant on two or three crucial players staying 100% fit. Also, we are at a stage where succession planning needs to be thought of.

None of this is probably going to be addressed in January. I agree that short term cover for ACN players would be good. I really liek the way we got players in on loan to buy, so we get a good look at them. A couple of first-team ready loans in January would be excellent, in my book. As well as that CH cover, midfield is must, even if it is a loan to try someone out.

It's the balance. Last season is the warning about what happens if you tilt the balance too much towards building for the future and hoping that your old hands stay fit and in form for now. My thinking is we already have some very promising young players, that midfielder in particular, needs to be someone already at top half of the league level. Sanches, for example, fits the bill, there are probably a few more across Europe.

And keep hearing "don't write off the young players" - well, also don't write off the 30+ year players!

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We know what's coming, because Fosun have never really done permanent first team business in January.

In January windows, we they normally sign youth prospects, convert loans to permanents (Costa & Jonny), or look for short-term loans for positions where we are short (Afobe in 2018 and Jose this year).

Outside of that, the only permanent first team signings we have made in a January window are Ben Marshall in January 2017 and Podence in January 2020. That's because they became available to us for an acceptable price.

It has been said many times the club's long-term strategy is to buy players of the right age for value and then improve them. If our targets become available for an acceptable price, we will probably pull the trigger. If not, we will stick with what we have and look at other ways to supplement the squad in the short-term based on positional needs (loans, loan-recalls, etc.), as we have done in previous January windows.

They aren't just going to go and buy over-priced players, who haven't been identified as targets previously or researched fully. Anyone can do a Harry Redknapp style trolley-dash and throw as much mud at a wall, hoping that some sticks. We did that before when Fosun first took over and we all know how that ended!!

People think that signing no players is a result of poor planning and strategy, when in reality it's probably more about very precise planning over the long-term, targeted recruitment of specific players, and strict financial discipline.

Sorry yow can have as many likes as ya want..BUT.We need a couple of players in,and bruno also told Shi that.But we didn't get anyone that he wanted in the summer window,Botman and Sanches were targets and would have come if Jeff Shi had loosened the bloody purse strings.if we wanted them then,then we surely need em now.And I don't care if they are loans as long as recruitment is done.Otherwise square peg players are gonna be trying to get into round holes agen wen some are off to the Afcon.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member yltz11841

Sorry yow can have as many likes as ya want..BUT.We need a couple of players in,and bruno also told Shi that.But we didn't get anyone that he wanted in the summer window,Botman and Sanches were targets and would have come if Jeff Shi had loosened the bloody purse strings.if we wanted them then,then we surely need em now.And I don't care if they are loans as long as recruitment is done.Otherwise square peg players are gonna be trying to get into round holes agen wen some are off to the Afcon.
Donk in the back 3 leaving a midfield of Neves and Moutinho, not bad as long as neither get tired, banned or injured at any point during the AFCON. who will go on the bench I am sure there is space for another keeper or 2

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Id exclude man city tbf

mostly very true but when has a prem team gone into a season with only 3 midfielders? if Bruno wanted to play 3 in midfield and it worked, if 1 got injured that is that plan out the window just on the lack of midfield options we have.

One injury in midfield and we would be in difficulties with the lack of options.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes. I just think there's a bit too much instant rejection of anyone over the age of about 25 as "too old". Join that with anyone over about £30M as "too expensive". Often backed up with "it's Fosun's policy, everybody knows". I'm not sure anyone here (other than Jeff's secret Mix account!) knows Fosun's policy. And that policy has changed and will change.

We have a decent squad already, but in terms of establishing in top half the table, it still has weaknesses and is dependant on two or three crucial players staying 100% fit. Also, we are at a stage where succession planning needs to be thought of.

None of this is probably going to be addressed in January. I agree that short term cover for ACN players would be good. I really liek the way we got players in on loan to buy, so we get a good look at them. A couple of first-team ready loans in January would be excellent, in my book. As well as that CH cover, midfield is must, even if it is a loan to try someone out.

It's the balance. Last season is the warning about what happens if you tilt the balance too much towards building for the future and hoping that your old hands stay fit and in form for now. My thinking is we already have some very promising young players, that midfielder in particular, needs to be someone already at top half of the league level. Sanches, for example, fits the bill, there are probably a few more across Europe.

And keep hearing "don't write off the young players" - well, also don't write off the 30+ year players!

Anyone on here who uses the excuse of not signing players over 25 or they are too old. Lets remind ourselves how old Jimenez was when we signed him! He hasnt turned out that bad. Probably the best of the lot.

Bob Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Kilman is a surprisingly brilliant CB, think the jury is very much still out on Mosquera and Sanderson in the top flight.
Think if we've got a spare 30m lying around, it should go on a mobile CM first and a quality CB to play next to Kilman in a back 4. Botman and Kilman, got a good ring to it.
As Sanderson and Mosquera have never played in the PL I would say the jury haven’t even entered the court let alone hearing opening statements.

D

Deleted member LP 3925

On another point that has come up on this thread clearly a few on here love taking the **** out of other posters as seen in some above posts and making wise cracks, sarcastic posts, one poster in particular does it regularly rather than debate the points made. A shame really. I should have expected it though.

I will re-word my post then:

Watford signing a goal keeper and then loaning him out is not the best example to use when postulating that Wolves aren’t very good pre-window and should pull-up-their socks.

It’s a bit of a dull response to what you imply.

COYW.

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
According to Transfermkt, he's fit again now... wasn't selected at the weekend for them so presumably building his fitness back up again but he's over his injury by all accounts

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As long as he doesn't impress too much between now and january 1st we might still get him.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As Sanderson and Mosquera have never played in the PL I would say the jury haven’t even entered the court let alone hearing opening statements.
What a ridiculous thing to say. Let’s not sign Botman he’s never played in the premier league either

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whereas Sanches did and wasn't very good...
To be fair, he was playing in an extremely poor side which duly got relegated.

I have no interest in watching French football so am unsure if he was sufficiently improved to make a mark here, but if he did join Wolves he would be going into a much better XI than Swansea.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair, he was playing in an extremely poor side which duly got relegated.

I have no interest in watching French football so am unsure if he was sufficiently improved to make a mark here, but if he did join Wolves he would be going into a much better XI than Swansea.
I agree. I draw no conclusions about how a young player did at a different team under difficult circumstances. I was actually trying to point out how fatuous the whole argument was.... João had never played in the PL either, or Raul....

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is this one like Sanches and actually we were never in for Botman and Loz Madden was the target?

RedFlagWolf

Reaction score
How time flies.Madden is 66 now
Hold on….so your seriously suggesting that Laurie Madfen is only 66?

I’m in my 50’s but still think of myself as fitter and having more energy that Laurie did in a Wolves shirt….yet he must of been 20 years younger than I am now!

I can vividly remember at Bristol Rovers away seeing his pulsating veins and smell the sweat, convinced he was about to go into cardiac arrest! Now I know why I keep being asked if I’m ok when I do 10 minutes on the cross trainer!

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Hold on….so your seriously suggesting that Laurie Madfen is only 66?

I’m in my 50’s but still think of myself as fitter and having more energy that Laurie did in a Wolves shirt….yet he must of been 20 years younger than I am now!

I can vividly remember at Bristol Rovers away seeing his pulsating veins and smell the sweat, convinced he was about to go into cardiac arrest! Now I know why I keep being asked if I’m ok when I do 10 minutes on the cross trainer!
Yes born in 1955

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Said to be someone Newcastle really want in the January window, according to David Ornstein.

Says they could be willing to spend big in January as fear missing out on him in summer if not.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Said to be someone Newcastle really want in the January window, according to David Ornstein.

Says they could be willing to spend big in January as fear missing out on him in summer if not.
They will undoubtedly try to sign some quality in January to secure their Premiership status.
But I can see them really going big in the summer - although I'm not convinced that Eddie Howe is their long term choice.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Not that I really thought he would be coming here in Jan, but it goes without saying that that lot will blow us out of the water financially should we both be in the hunt for certain targets. They are back after Boubacar Kamara too apparently (so are Bayern and Barca allegedly) which was another one we supposedly went after in the Summer.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Good post, that.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It has been reported that Dyche would rather he went on a free next summer than to Newcastle in January. What would Burnley get as a fee versus how much relegation would cost them....
Never underestimate money and player power. If he makes it clear he wants to go the last thing Dyche will want is an unhappy player during a relegation battle.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we had anything like a half decent balanced squad that argument might stand up.

We don’t, it doesn’t, it’s a farce, Shi is an accountant and Sellars has no clue.
The squad has deficiencies but it's in the top half of the prem. It's a good squad with issues. So is Brighton's, Leicester's, Villa's etc

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Players like Botman are how we improve. We have to sign these promising younger blokes, and develop them into better players because we cant just go out and buy the finished article.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Players like Botman are how we improve. We have to sign these promising younger blokes, and develop them into better players because we cant just go out and buy the finished article.
Starting to look like we’ve missed out here because we wouldn’t pay 5m extra

Back
Top Bottom