Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Sven Botman (Lille)

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kilman is a surprisingly brilliant CB, think the jury is very much still out on Mosquera and Sanderson in the top flight.
Think if we've got a spare 30m lying around, it should go on a mobile CM first and a quality CB to play next to Kilman in a back 4. Botman and Kilman, got a good ring to it.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we'd have signed Botman for £30m and he'd come in and performed as well as Kilman has this season, us as fans, the press, everyone, would be creaming their pants over him.

Kilman's rise in quality/form/whatever you want to call it has completely removed the need to sign Botman. We don't need another left-footed centre back, especially one that might not prove to be as good as him long-term! I know Max has been playing on the right of a 3, but his long-term home will probably be on the left of a 2 man CB partnership in a back 4.

So finding the right partner for him in that setup is probably where we need to be fishing now.

That probably looks like a right footed, big, fast, physical, all-rounder centre back type. Mosquera could be that player long-term, maybe even Sanderson, but maybe we need someone more short-term.

You would think we would be looking at other options apart from just Botman.
Maybe that Celeta-Car would be a better option.
Don’t truthfully know much about either or them but Car is right footed and a few years older.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tbf,unless you have targets and funds lined up it really is
But that's what we should have.

We haven't improved the defence and midfield with first-choice players for 3/4 years. Everyone has known we need to address those positions for at least two years as well.

As for funds, we have not had a net spend in the past two windows.

When Mike Ashley will spend £25m on Newcastle as he desperately tries to sell them, I believe that's the minimum we should be able to commit whilst also remaining self-sufficient.

So, there should be a decent amount there to fund one or two players without the club even having to dig deep.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Seen Watford have already signed a keeper but he will be loaned back to his current club. All about preparation this window coming up. They know how weak we are in central midfield on options and have done for months now along with knowing Saiss and Boly could be gone for 6 weeks. If they havent prepared for this then it will be really poor, in my opinion.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seen Watford have already signed a keeper but he will be loaned back to his current club. All about preparation this window coming up. They know how weak we are in central midfield on options and have done for months now along with knowing Saiss and Boly could be gone for 6 weeks. If they havent prepared for this then it will be really poor, in my opinion.
Absolutely agree
It was all last minute panic in the summer,when targets fell through for whatever reason,that cant happen again surely

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On WhoScored, Botman is currently getting lower ratings than Kilman. I know stats are all made up, but the French League is not as strong as the Premier League, for sure. I'm not convinced Botman is not being hyped as our saviour, the only problem being - is he really *that* good? Apparently needs to improve a bit on current form to be better than Max.

Is Botman the perfect being who never ever puts a foot wrong? This is the Messianic standard some here are hoping for. I mean, our endemic perpetual problem of lack of goal scoring means our defenders must never ever make a mistake, else they go to top of the "must replace NOW" list, and stay there for years. I suspect it's just that we haven't seen him week in - week out. I'd like us to sign him as more than anything, I think it would highlight the quality we already do have in defence and that our main problems lie elsewhere.
#headsgone, wants to join the mighty Wolves

D

Deleted member LP 3925

It’s obviously not the windows we’re getting wrong, it’s the preparation leading up to the windows. Why are we getting it so wrong pre-window?
I’m not going to be able to sleep tonight as Watford have already signed a goalkeeper and are loaning him back out.

FOSUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s obviously not the windows we’re getting wrong, it’s the preparation leading up to the windows. Why are we getting it so wrong pre-window?
I’m not going to be able to sleep tonight as Watford have already signed a goalkeeper and are loaning him back out.

FOSUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!
I think we have enough keepers. Indeed we have two on the bench. Lol.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A work horse type? Ideally what we need. Shame MGW didn’t want to stick around and wait for his chance.

Seems time of year too last Xmas and new year he was very very poor. Which is why I see him as a better CB. Put Saiss in the middle and move Kilman to the left
I agree. Simple as that innit.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

FOSUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!
Hahhaahahhaha. Wonderfully cutting as always!

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I just don't think anyone should be getting their hopes up too much.

January is notoriously difficult to find value, although this January could be a little different when Newcastle start flexing their financial muscles and the knock on impact of the liquidity it creates in the market.

I imagine any plan will look something like this.....

Centre back
Plan A) If a long-term target becomes available for an acceptable price, buy him
Plan B) If a new target becomes available for an acceptable price, consider him
Plan C) If no long-term or new targets become available for an acceptable price, look to the short-term loan market or switch priorities to midfield, recall Sanderson and Giles for cover and use Dendoncker and Marcal as centre backs while Saiss and Boly are away

Central Midfield
Plan A) If a long-term target becomes available for an acceptable price, buy him
Plan B) If a new target becomes available for an acceptable price, consider him
Plan C) If no long-term or new targets become available for an acceptable price, look to the short-term loan market, or recall someone like Ronan or Perry.

Plan A is unlikely given the level of player we target and the unlikeliness of them being available in January (for example, Lille will probably still be in the Champions League, so are unlikely to want to part with Sanches in January).

Plan B is unlikely as those players that become available in January are not likely to be available for an acceptable price. You often overpay for those players as other clubs make it a bidding war, especially with Newcastle in the market. For example, if Burnley decide to cash in on Tarkowski as he only has 6 months left on his deal and likely wont sign a new contract.

So that leaves the most likely scenario as Plan C for both positions. We make do at centre back until Saiss and Boly return and we look for a short-term loan until the end of the season to cover us in midfield and/or recall some loans.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Then it needs binning,What's the bloody use of a transfer window if no one can do any business.I mean you here it every year...We cannot let this player go until we have his replacement.And every club is in the same position.So not a lot gets done.

And like reans has said.The same crap is spouted every year.We already know whats coming.And it ay players. :rolleyes:

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Then it needs binning,What's the bloody use of a transfer window if no one can do any business.I mean you here it every year...We cannot let this player go until we have his replacement.And every club is in the same position.So not a lot gets done.

And like reans has said.The same crap is spouted every year.We already know whats coming.And it ay players. :rolleyes:

We know what's coming, because Fosun have never really done permanent first team business in January.

In January windows, we they normally sign youth prospects, convert loans to permanents (Costa & Jonny), or look for short-term loans for positions where we are short (Afobe in 2018 and Jose this year).

Outside of that, the only permanent first team signings we have made in a January window are Ben Marshall in January 2017 and Podence in January 2020. That's because they became available to us for an acceptable price.

It has been said many times the club's long-term strategy is to buy players of the right age for value and then improve them. If our targets become available for an acceptable price, we will probably pull the trigger. If not, we will stick with what we have and look at other ways to supplement the squad in the short-term based on positional needs (loans, loan-recalls, etc.), as we have done in previous January windows.

They aren't just going to go and buy over-priced players, who haven't been identified as targets previously or researched fully. Anyone can do a Harry Redknapp style trolley-dash and throw as much mud at a wall, hoping that some sticks. We did that before when Fosun first took over and we all know how that ended!!

People think that signing no players is a result of poor planning and strategy, when in reality it's probably more about very precise planning over the long-term, targeted recruitment of specific players, and strict financial discipline.

MotorWoden

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We know what's coming, because Fosun have never really done permanent first team business in January.

In January windows, we they normally sign youth prospects, convert loans to permanents (Costa & Jonny), or look for short-term loans for positions where we are short (Afobe in 2018 and Jose this year).

Outside of that, the only permanent first team signings we have made in a January window are Ben Marshall in January 2017 and Podence in January 2020. That's because they became available to us for an acceptable price.

It has been said many times the club's long-term strategy is to buy players of the right age for value and then improve them. If our targets become available for an acceptable price, we will probably pull the trigger. If not, we will stick with what we have and look at other ways to supplement the squad in the short-term based on positional needs (loans, loan-recalls, etc.), as we have done in previous January windows.

They aren't just going to go and buy over-priced players, who haven't been identified as targets previously or researched fully. Anyone can do a Harry Redknapp style trolley-dash and throw as much mud at a wall, hoping that some sticks. We did that before when Fosun first took over and we all know how that ended!!

People think that signing no players is a result of poor planning and strategy, when in reality it's probably more about very precise planning over the long-term, targeted recruitment of specific players, and strict financial discipline.
Blimey, this is absolutely spot in. A very clear view of what we are doing and why. I don't understand why so few people see this.

Ernie the Wolf

Reaction score

Great post and a very likely accurate assessment of how we look at the January window, particularly this season. The key thing is we must have some additions as the squad is very thin.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Totally agree. My one caveat being that due to the Summer Transfer window being relatively poor, Mosquera being injured and the AFCON we will need loans if not buys in January. Failure to bolster the squad in January could lead to a very long and difficult 2nd half of the season. We need at least 1 more midfielder and a Centre Half. They don’t have to be purchases, they need to better than Jose and ready to perform in the Prem, buying or loaning for the future won’t work. Up front I think we’ll be ok.

Failure to secure the two though and I can still see a relegation battle.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally agree. My one caveat being that due to the Summer Transfer window being relatively poor, Mosquera being injured and the AFCON we will need loans if not buys in January. Failure to bolster the squad in January could lead to a very long and difficult 2nd half of the season. We need at least 1 more midfielder and a Centre Half. They don’t have to be purchases, they need to better than Jose and ready to perform in the Prem, buying or loaning for the future won’t work. Up front I think we’ll be ok.

Maybe failure to secure backup in addition to injuries to key players might see us struggle at the wrong end of the table, but only one of those things and we should be fine.

But we should be aiming to be as high as we can, so yes, we need both not to happen!!

Loojay

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

24 points from 27 games to hit 40 points, bore off, we'd make it with the under 23s

I'd be surprised if Norwich catch us if we don't get another point all season

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
24 points from 27 games to hit 40 points, bore off, we'd make it with the under 23s

I'd be surprised if Norwich catch us if we don't get another point all season
We have one less point than we had last season at the same stage. Maybe we’ll play better in the remainder of this season than we did last season but we have’t got much room to play worse.

if we won another point with the U23s playing I’d be very surprised.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Blimey, this is absolutely spot in. A very clear view of what we are doing and why. I don't understand why so few people see this.

While it appears sensible from a business point of view, is it an approach that will get us into Europe again, though? Continual churn of young players being developed, then sold on when they get good. No significant buys in January... 18 months ago we missed out on Europe on goal difference. Could buying the right - experienced - player have made the difference? If that "overpriced player" had scored the goal we sadly lacked against Sheff Utd...we'd have been in Europe again and able to attract better quality.

It sounds like the Southampton style model, to me. Better than the Portsmouth and Bolton models, but unlikely to get you regular top 8 finishes. (fundamental to our top 7 finishes were experienced players already - Rui, Moutinho, Raul etc.)

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

My problem with this is the fact Boly and Saiss will be gone for potentially 6-8 weeks in Jan and Feb. Have a think at how weak our squad potentially will be then. More important than ever this January that we do more business than usual in my opinion. Even Bruno said that he wants new additions. We have 3 senior central midfield players on the books as well, one of which is 35. This is not enough and most of us know it.

On another point that has come up on this thread clearly a few on here love taking the **** out of other posters as seen in some above posts and making wise cracks, sarcastic posts, one poster in particular does it regularly rather than debate the points made. A shame really. I should have expected it though.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember you being very unhappy with Shi and Sellars in the summer unless I am mistaken Hogan. What's changed mate?
We started winning game. I'm incredibly fickle!

My stance remains the same. I thought the transfer window was poor. I felt that Sellars and Shi displayed a lot of naivety in how they handled the last two weeks of the window and they deserve to be derided for their respective roles in doing that. In reality, I don't know who was to blame, but when things go wrong in business, the top execs have to shoulder the blame..that's just the way it is. Nothing will convince me that the last two weeks weren't a disaster. The fact that Shi came out so soon afterwards and instigated an interview with Tim Spiers shows just how badly he knows it went.

Since then, it's turned out that Sa and Hwang were much better signings than we all thought. Could be luck, could be excellent judgement. Probably a mixture of the two, but praise is deserved for their respective acquisitions.

I just don't buy into the OTT Fosun bashing. We are now 8th in the Premier League. We've finished 7th, 7th, 13th (or 12th, 14th, last season was just too painful to watch for a variety of reasons!). Even the 'bad' season is beyond absolutely anything Wolves achieved at any point in my life prior to Fosun. I find the people calling for their removal to be somewhat cringe and indicative of a greater trend in society of a requirement for instant gratification. And perhaps even a lack of understanding of how a zero sum game works. If Wolves continued improving at the same rate under Fosun as we were doing, we would win the Champions League in 3-4 seasons. Outside of a huge anomaly, nothing like that is going to happen. Peaks and troughs are going to happen at any club - it's just that our peaks and troughs seem to have been upgraded now, which is great long term.

So - long story short - absolutely agree that the end of the summer window was rubbish. Embarrassing to watch as it was clear that there was no plan. But it's turned out better than expected.

As a whole, Fosun have been utterly excellent for Wolves. Until it looks they're going to asset strip or murder journalists, I will vehemently defend them and question those who want them out. I'm not the only fickle one!

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

My stance remains the same. I thought the transfer window was poor. I felt that Sellars and Shi displayed a lot of naivety in how they handled the last two weeks of the window and they deserve to be derided for their respective roles in doing that. In reality, I don't know who was to blame, but when things go wrong in business, the top execs have to shoulder the blame..that's just the way it is. Nothing will convince me that the last two weeks weren't a disaster. The fact that Shi came out so soon afterwards and instigated an interview with Tim Spiers shows just how badly he knows it went.

Since then, it's turned out that Sa and Hwang were much better signings than we all thought. Could be luck, could be excellent judgement. Probably a mixture of the two, but praise is deserved for their respective acquisitions.

I just don't buy into the OTT Fosun bashing. We are now 8th in the Premier League. We've finished 7th, 7th, 13th (or 12th, 14th, last season was just too painful to watch for a variety of reasons!). Even the 'bad' season is beyond absolutely anything Wolves achieved at any point in my life prior to Fosun. I find the people calling for their removal to be somewhat cringe and indicative of a greater trend in society of a requirement for instant gratification. And perhaps even a lack of understanding of how a zero sum game works. If Wolves continued improving at the same rate under Fosun as we were doing, we would win the Champions League in 3-4 seasons. Outside of a huge anomaly, nothing like that is going to happen. Peaks and troughs are going to happen at any club - it's just that our peaks and troughs seem to have been upgraded now, which is great long term.

So - long story short - absolutely agree that the end of the summer window was rubbish. Embarrassing to watch as it was clear that there was no plan. But it's turned out better than expected.

As a whole, Fosun have been utterly excellent for Wolves. Until it looks they're going to asset strip or murder journalists, I will vehemently defend them and question those who want them out. I'm not the only fickle one!

Fair enough. From my point of view I have no time for either Shi or Sellars after what happened in the summer and dont think they will get it right this January or next summer. Might sound harsh but that is how I feel. You make some good points though, Hogan.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair enough. From my point of view I have no time for either Shi or Sellars after what happened in the summer and dont think they will get it right this January or next summer. Might sound harsh but that is how I feel. You make some good points though, Hogan.
Far be it from me to discount anyone's opinion (which is perfectly valid), but I would say Jeff Shi has enough credit in the bank for me to forgive the bad summer. I don't think very highly of Sellars though. We have far less time to judge him on and I've not been impressed so far.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Spot on. Last sentence might have been concluded by "so far". We seem an injury or two (defence or midfield) away from a possible plunge down the table, especially as we have two players away on duty in the New Year.

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score

Spot on. Last sentence might have been concluded by "so far". We seem an injury or two (defence or midfield) away from a possible plunge down the table, especially as we have two players away on duty in the New Year.
Every team is injury or two to be dropping down the league...

D

Deleted member yltz11841

Every team is injury or two to be dropping down the league...
Id exclude man city tbf

mostly very true but when has a prem team gone into a season with only 3 midfielders? if Bruno wanted to play 3 in midfield and it worked, if 1 got injured that is that plan out the window just on the lack of midfield options we have.

peter&thewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I can see January being another disappointing window even if we do sell anybody,

MotorWoden

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While it appears sensible from a business point of view, is it an approach that will get us into Europe again, though? Continual churn of young players being developed, then sold on when they get good. No significant buys in January... 18 months ago we missed out on Europe on goal difference. Could buying the right - experienced - player have made the difference? If that "overpriced player" had scored the goal we sadly lacked against Sheff Utd...we'd have been in Europe again and able to attract better quality.

It sounds like the Southampton style model, to me. Better than the Portsmouth and Bolton models, but unlikely to get you regular top 8 finishes. (fundamental to our top 7 finishes were experienced players already - Rui, Moutinho, Raul etc.)
I dont know but buying good players at sensible prices is never a bad strategy. Finding, developing and promoting good younger players is not a bad strategy either. I think there is an argument for questionable execution but most players we have bought in have been of decent quality. To some extent it is also about patience. A club our size needs a crop of players to come through at the same time, either from external sources or the devlopment squad and then have a manager who can bring it all together. Thats not easy to to do granted . But fans taken as a group will always have a requirement for more or new players. The club has to be wary of bringing in new players for the sake of it, as that is where you can get hamstrung - you get to the point where you have too much deadwood and you cant afford to bring in what you need even when it is available at affordable proces. Then you are vulnerable to sliding multiple divisions in one go, as things start to spiral.

A small squad is okay in my opinion, but ours is just a bit too small, especially in midfield. With hindsight if it is true that Sanches was available we should have bought him in, but of course if his injury had failed to heal as hoped and he hadnt played there would been a group of fans saying what a ridiculous decision, so they cant really win. I think it is to their credit that FOSUN dont panic and take a pragmatic view but at the same time they are prone to cutting it a bit fine. My perosnal issue was letting Gibbs White go out on loan given that we didnt have anyone coming in, but there you go.

I expect our strategy will be to loan a centre half in January, and/or bring back Sanderson and/or drop Dendoncker back into defence. It will cover us for three or four games. We may bring back Ronan or Gibbs White for midfield or look for someone who is available at sensible price. Nothing much will happen until the end of the window. Thats the reality of it. In the meantime i hope Bruno can get what we have playing attacking football again, because I just have the feeling that after the initial burst of enthusiasm for playing attacking football, the players are starting to slip into indifferece again. That is where our real problems lie.

Back
Top Bottom