Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Toti starting isn't a problem. Having no reserve after that is.

I've no problems with him being a starting left-back. Starting centre-back though (for more than a game or two), woof. That's just based on what we've seen of him previously in both positions.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Toti starting isn't a problem. Having no reserve after that is.
This.

We need depth as I dont believe we will be able to upgrade on quality until next season.

No idea whether Elvedi will be a starter or a first or second reserve.

Also should a second reserve come in would they even make the bench? Do we have room for 2 CB’s?

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are certain positions that are almost basic for any Premier League football club, that we dont have .
A recognised central goal scorer and cover for central defence. Its almost sporting negligence to leave these positions unfilled.
Do many teams actually have a central goal scorer? I can only think of Man City, Newcastle and Villa. The rest seem to get goals from their wide forwards

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really like Lemina but if we got a big offer (£35m plus), I’d absolutely consider it given his age and the fact I think Traore can prove a more than adequate replacement.

The three of Traore, Gomes and Nunes looked great against Luton.
Traore might be the ace in the sleeve, but we need to be charging clubs silly money for players we want to keep. Brighton do....

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do many teams actually have a central goal scorer? I can only think of Man City, Newcastle and Villa. The rest seem to get goals from their wide forwards
Yes .
Someone in attack who scores goals from the middle of the park has been a basic fundamental since the dawn of football.
And not having one has lead us to be the lowest goal scorers over a three year period. Averaging one goal a game over three years.

Last edited:

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Traore might be the ace in the sleeve, but we need to be charging clubs silly money for players we want to keep. Brighton do....
Re silly money - isn’t that what we tried to do with Traore and Raul and did with Jota. Can backfire (if don’t sell or if so) and people in the future will choose the narrative to suit.

Answer is the same - every Wolves player has a price, as does every player in every club. What fans cannot agree is what that price is and what we don’t know is whether we’ll have the opp’y to reinvest some or all of money. If we do reinvest then prices go up (see West Ham post Rice).

Would love to see more of Traore and sure he’ll get a decent outing tomorrow.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Re silly money - isn’t that what we tried to do with Traore and Raul and did with Jota. Can backfire (if don’t sell or if so) and people in the future will choose the narrative to suit.

Answer is the same - every Wolves player has a price, as does every player in every club. What fans cannot agree is what that price is and what we don’t know is whether we’ll have the opp’y to reinvest some or all of money. If we do reinvest then prices go up (see West Ham post Rice).

The precedents for the market for midfielders have been set. 3 CMs have moved for over £100m in the last year, 2 of them defensive.
Now, all 3 were young, and Lemina isnt. But we shouldn’t really entertain any bid not knocking £50m. I’d rather not sell him at all, but who knows how much Fosun would still like to claw back. If we were still in cash splashing stage, then yeah I’d be happy with trying to replace him for £40m+.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes .
Someone in attack who scores goals from the middle of the park has been a basic fundamental since the dawn of football.
And not having one has lead us to be the lowest goal scorers over a three year period. Averaging one goal a game over three years.
I think the one exception to this is the deep lying CF who holds the ball up and plays in the wingers eg Giroud 2018 France. That can work really well too if you have great inside forwards.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The difference being that we're desperate for cash.
Are we? Why didn't we accept £35m for Kilman then? We've been stripping out the excess weight in the squad. Of the players that have left, Neves is the only real loss. But we almost got £50m for a player with 12 months left on his contract.
If we can turn down £35m for a player we spent £0.5m on 5 years ago, we can turn down that much for a player who has also been touted as another group leader along with Max.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are we? Why didn't we accept £35m for Kilman then? We've been stripping out the excess weight in the squad. Of the players that have left, Neves is the only real loss. But we almost got £50m for a player with 12 months left on his contract.
If we can turn down £35m for a player we spent £0.5m on 5 years ago, we can turn down that much for a player who has also been touted as another group leader along with Max.
I agree re Kilman as he appears to be integral to plans this season but I think they would take lower offers for the fringe players i.e. johnny, podence & guedes to bring a few quid in.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're not desperate for cash or Max Killman wouldn't be here.

We're desperate for cash IF we want to buy players. And to be honest, I don't think we really care all that much if we buy many players.
I agree re Kilman as he appears to be integral to plans this season but I think they would take lower offers for the fringe players i.e. johnny, podence & guedes to bring a few quid in.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes it was, and in Rauls case he had his career stripped from him by an injury arguably worse than David Busst. If that hadn't happened... and he kept on scoring we'd have had big offers.
Traore turning up at Fulham next proves how week he is as a point. He was touted as an awesome player by Pep, yet even when free was supposedly looked at by big clubs and turned down.
I dont disagree players need to be sold at the right price, but if Liverpool want Lemina, they need to pay up big for him. He's in our leadership group and looking good. You don't give those players away!

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think they offered 30 million, we wanted 35 and neither club would budge. I dont think there is a player at the moment we wouldnt sell for a half decent price sadly.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think they offered 30 million, we wanted 35 and neither club would budge. I dont think there is a player at the moment we wouldnt sell for a half decent price sadly.
If we were desperate though we'd have taken the cash. We didn't, so we aren't. Not saying things are rosey, we just don't need to be giving core squad members away

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we were desperate though we'd have taken the cash. We didn't, so we aren't. Not saying things are rosey, we just don't need to be giving core squad members away

We still arent going to underprice our players. If they came in with the extra 5 million we would have sold him.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought O'Neill was a "Yes man". Seems not, which is good...
So he did what so many do in job interviews as the candidate, gives an answer he knows the interviewer wants to hear even if he will do different when he starts….. what a legend!!! He has done “a Jeff shi” as he has “moved the goalposts” on his squad depth views in only a few days hahaha lol

After we were told it was the fact he was happy to deal with the squad “as is” via ITK’s is a major reason he got the job.

Hahaha

Well done GON gaining more and more respect in the fan base and Those I talk to about the team at work and whattsapp every time you have spoken to the press and how you prepped the lads in the limited amount of time for man Utd.

It took one calendar week to say the squad is “a tad light” so for all of you on here saying the squad depth is fine, that is JL and now GON saying that it isn’t fine…… I think you need to accept that it clearly isn’t fine/ok.

Well done GON, well done!!!!!

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So he did what so many do in job interviews as the candidate, gives an answer he knows the interviewer wants to hear even if he will do different when he starts….. what a legend!!! He has done “a Jeff shi” as he has “moved the goalposts” on his squad depth views in only a few days hahaha lol

After we were told it was the fact he was happy to deal with the squad “as is” via ITK’s is a major reason he got the job.

Hahaha

Well done GON gaining more and more respect in the fan base and Those I talk to about the team at work and whattsapp every time you have spoken to the press and how you prepped the lads in the limited amount of time for man Utd.

It took one calendar week to say the squad is “a tad light” so for all of you on here saying the squad depth is fine, that is JL and now GON saying that it isn’t fine…… I think you need to accept that it clearly isn’t fine/ok.

Well done GON, well done!!!!!
Has anybody actually said the squad is fine? As far as I can tell it's universally agreed we need at least another CB

Back
Top Bottom