Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brightons sales are unreal though, I swear the Brighton owner has some telekinetic powers to influence buyers
Apparently Bloom has a special formula but ultimately it’s taking a risk on low cost players and getting them the right coaching with game time opportunities

It’s quite a simple process once you’ve done it a few times as they are showing.. Buy high potential and make them better sell while they are performing. Unfortunately we tried this with the Mendes players and it just has not worked. Nobody wants to pay our required fees at the moment but that may change. Also a lot of bigger clubs don’t go off performances they look at the stats very closely and see if that player fits a system they use. Jota with Liverpool is a fine example of this.

Nunes is one good season away from 80/100m move potentially. But he really has to start shooting more often instead of passing backwards once he has got us into a good position up the pitch

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes .
Someone in attack who scores goals from the middle of the park has been a basic fundamental since the dawn of football.
And not having one has lead us to be the lowest goal scorers over a three year period. Averaging one goal a game over three years.
It was, now top scorers tend to be the wide forwards. Salah for example doesn't play down the middle

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apparently Bloom has a special formula but ultimately it’s taking a risk on low cost players and getting them the right coaching with game time opportunities

It’s quite a simple process once you’ve done it a few times as they are showing.. Buy high potential and make them better sell while they are performing. Unfortunately we tried this with the Mendes players and it just has not worked. Nobody wants to pay our required fees at the moment but that may change. Also a lot of bigger clubs don’t go off performances they look at the stats very closely and see if that player fits a system they use. Jota with Liverpool is a fine example of this.

Nunes is one good season away from 80/100m move potentially. But he really has to start shooting more often instead of passing backwards once he has got us into a good position up the pitch
What people forget is that Brighton have been in the division for a while longer than we have. They consolidated and played defensive football under Hughton, even Potter took a while to change them. They’ve got a balance of experience, such as Welbeck, Dunk, March who are never going anywhere and have managed to unearth some superstars at a time that the top 6 are in transition or are on a stupid spending spree.

They did no better last season than we did in our first season back, FA Cup Semi final and European qualification. We didn’t sell/get offers because we played differently to other teams so it wasn’t as easy to see how our players would fit into another’s system. We also had bought Moutinho, Patricio and Jimenez and I think alot was attributed to them and the likes of Coady, mistakenly as it was a team effort. Same reason Nuno wasn’t seriously approached.

MotorWoden

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Some of the reason it has not worked is the coaching and style of play. We have been awful to watch for two years, negative, predictable, ponderous. The players weren't fit enough. They are / were not poor players but they can't show up well under these kinds of circumstances. The coach is the most important part of the equation and we got it wrong.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has anybody actually said the squad is fine? As far as I can tell it's universally agreed we need at least another CB
Correct, though some, including me, have said it's not as bad as being suggested and it is bigger than Nuno's squad. A tad light is about right and this appears to annoy @wolfslair

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some of the reason it has not worked is the coaching and style of play. We have been awful to watch for two years, negative, predictable, ponderous. The players weren't fit enough. They are / were not poor players but they can't show up well under these kinds of circumstances. The coach is the most important part of the equation and we got it wrong.
I would even say three years, we were poor in COVID season and to be honest it wasn’t great in Nuno’s second season as we were preserving energy due to the number of games and we were getting the results which covered a multitude of sins.

I do think that both JL and Nuno were defensive by inclination. Nuno was criticised for being defensive at Porto and JL at Seville preferred to keep the ball rather than taking a risk to score. Lage just didn’t have a clue.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has anybody actually said the squad is fine? As far as I can tell it's universally agreed we need at least another CB
Some people (can’t remember who) said it was fine when replying to a post of mine when JL was in his final days.

I also didn’t want to @ the wrong people……

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brightons sales are unreal though, I swear the Brighton owner has some telekinetic powers to influence buyers
Sellers set the price they want and Brighton have a “sexy brand” right now which means they can get alway with asking for their prices.

If caecedo was cloned, one at wolves and one at brighton. Same stats and everything, the perception of Brighton would likely see their one get a higher fee

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Alexis Macallister's price is comparatively cheap in today's market.
Caicedo's price I think is about 4 times his actual worth. It used to be the way that wide players and attacking midfielders got all the credit for the dirty work defensive midfielders do.
Now some quite average DMs are seemingly taking all the credit for the success of the players around them.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Correct, though some, including me, have said it's not as bad as being suggested and it is bigger than Nuno's squad. A tad light is about right and this appears to annoy @wolfslair
I replied to someone else about this, but you @‘d me…..

Nuno wasn’t happy with the size and quality Pete of the squad we have found out over time…. So that point doesn’t wash… as even Nuno had issues and raised it, causing the breakdown that led to his removal….

I want the lads to be set up for success, if the team is light by one player, then it needs to be correct and if it isn’t correct in balance or depth of quality in certain areas then that is bad.

If it is light, then the premise we were sold of “pay more on your tickets to be competitive” also was insinuated it would help us build a batter squad was incorrect.

We are paying more for less and Jeff has said we must see ourselves as a newly promoted team again…. Well in that case drop the prices as the prices were raised under false pretences…..

The team is also light not just a CB, it does need a goal scorer. The chances we created fall to an antonio, as much derided as he is on here, he finishes at least two of those chances on Monday….

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Alexis Macallister's price is comparatively cheap in today's market.
Caicedo's price I think is about 4 times his actual worth. It used to be the way that wide players and attacking midfielders got all the credit for the dirty work defensive midfielders do.
Now some quite average DMs are seemingly taking all the credit for the success of the players around them.
And to think we were heavily linked to caecedo before he went to brighton……

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Making a leap to the possibility that we might do some buying business, assuming Podence leaving and that’s all.

My guess is that we’re still after Elvedi, and that we will get this over the line before this window closes. Wouldn’t be surprised if Shi wants the optics of a modest purchase now he’s back in the country.

My view on Scott was that he was identified as a future Nunes replacement, with Nunes more likely to leave next summer. Since he’s now moved, and had become too associated with JL’s demands, then I wonder if instead we will go in for Christian Medina in January, with the same intention to sell Nunes next summer? Would be similar to how we signed pitbull before Neves left.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Caicedo's price I think is about 4 times his actual worth.
He's 21 y/o & was the best player in a Brighton side that got 6th whilst playing some of the most attractive football in the league.

That would be the same as someone saying that Neves was only worth £20m after winning the championship & getting 7th during the 18/19 season.

£115m is an overpay, but I'd go as far as to say £80m for a player of his quality & potential is more than a fair price.

Plovdiv Wolf

Reaction score
He's 21 y/o & was the best player in a Brighton side that got 6th whilst playing some of the most attractive football in the league.

That would be the same as someone saying that Neves was only worth £20m after winning the championship & getting 7th during the 18/19 season.

£115m is an overpay, but I'd go as far as to say £80m for a player of his quality & potential is more than a fair price.
Reminds me a little of Kante, but he is still learning

Chelsea are one bad season away from FFP meltdown

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So he did what so many do in job interviews as the candidate, gives an answer he knows the interviewer wants to hear even if he will do different when he starts….. what a legend!!! He has done “a Jeff shi” as he has “moved the goalposts” on his squad depth views in only a few days hahaha lol

After we were told it was the fact he was happy to deal with the squad “as is” via ITK’s is a major reason he got the job.

Hahaha

Well done GON gaining more and more respect in the fan base and Those I talk to about the team at work and whattsapp every time you have spoken to the press and how you prepped the lads in the limited amount of time for man Utd.

It took one calendar week to say the squad is “a tad light” so for all of you on here saying the squad depth is fine, that is JL and now GON saying that it isn’t fine…… I think you need to accept that it clearly isn’t fine/ok.

Well done GON, well done!!!!!
Re your penultimate para, there is a recurring pattern - Lage and Nuno also both made similar comments.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As much as I also want to see signings, didn't the club always say from the start that most of our business would probably be late in the window?
Expect it's going to be very late as said previously feel we will be making moves last week of the window around the time we play Blackpool and obviously deadline day

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah they did. Think we'll see a couple of very late loans with either an option or obligation to buy in the last few days of the window.
Late action is how we always work and when deals are to be had. I am confident we will bring in 1/2 depending on podence leaving we have about 20m to play with from guesstimating our Murillo bid

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sellers set the price they want and Brighton have a “sexy brand” right now which means they can get alway with asking for their prices.

If caecedo was cloned, one at wolves and one at brighton. Same stats and everything, the perception of Brighton would likely see their one get a higher fee
But what makes me laugh with our fans (some - I will add) is that we signed 2 players at or around the same time from similar sources - Campana and Mosquera.

both immediately dismissed as too raw, not good enough (personally I think there is a good player in Mosquera) - same would have probably happened if we’d signed Caecedo.

Difference is he was given a chance to settle and then come into his own. And does look a great player.

Now I’m not saying they are direct comparisons and always difficult to compare on a like for like basis, my point is we made a couple of signings in similar circumstances but they are dismissed (generally out of hand). Same could probablt be said of Bolla and Kawabe to some extent - didn’t we also sign a Korean 18 year old striker, or we’re we just linked?

But the point is signings of that ilk are what Brighton are doing, some will pay off, some not - but that is the ethos of what they are doing and doing well.

All that being said, I reckon he’s gone for at least double what he should have, but fair play to Brighton for getting the fee

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Personally, I don't agree that he was there best player. I think he profits from being able to clean up for the talent around him.
I guess it will be interesting to see what happens for him at Chelsea.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I replied to someone else about this, but you @‘d me…..

Nuno wasn’t happy with the size and quality Pete of the squad we have found out over time…. So that point doesn’t wash… as even Nuno had issues and raised it, causing the breakdown that led to his removal….

I want the lads to be set up for success, if the team is light by one player, then it needs to be correct and if it isn’t correct in balance or depth of quality in certain areas then that is bad.

If it is light, then the premise we were sold of “pay more on your tickets to be competitive” also was insinuated it would help us build a batter squad was incorrect.

We are paying more for less and Jeff has said we must see ourselves as a newly promoted team again…. Well in that case drop the prices as the prices were raised under false pretences…..

The team is also light not just a CB, it does need a goal scorer. The chances we created fall to an antonio, as much derided as he is on here, he finishes at least two of those chances on Monday….
Thanks for replying. Nuno was definitely keen on a "smaller" squad, which backfired once we were in Europe. Maybe he thought it was too small eventually but initially that wasn't the case.
I too want the set up for success and, as I said, agree we need a CB, a MF and 1 more forward, ideally. My point was we are very close to that and I would be happy with just a CB, at least until January. I also think Silva and Sasa will do the business - better options than Antonio.

Have not and do not intend to get into ticket price discussion.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally, I don't agree that he was there best player. I think he profits from being able to clean up for the talent around him.
I guess it will be interesting to see what happens for him at Chelsea.
Defo, macalister and tross
Thanks for replying. Nuno was definitely keen on a "smaller" squad, which backfired once we were in Europe. Maybe he thought it was too small eventually but initially that wasn't the case.
I too want the set up for success and, as I said, agree we need a CB, a MF and 1 more forward, ideally. My point was we are very close to that and I would be happy with just a CB, at least until January. I also think Silva and Sasa will do the business - better options than Antonio.

Have not and do not intend to get into ticket price discussion.
Sorry, I didn’t explain the ticket price point well…..

What I meant was, we shouldn’t be financially held back on targets costing £15m or under because of money as we have been paying more to help that, who could improve the depth of the entire squad.

Sadly we don’t know about sasa’s physical conditioning and resilience yet, so he isn’t one I fully count upon yet with his terrible fitness record even though he looks very talented

Back
Top Bottom