Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Suits what they need better than Nunes tbh. I'd be more worried about them coming for Lemina

João Gomes is the one we need to worry about losing.

If Moises Caicedo is £100m cause he can win the ball back and cover the entire pitch what is João worth based on Monday night?

These are the midfielders in demand nowadays.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whilst said in jest I can see the potential for paying a sliding scale on his wages, saying 50% year 1 and 25% year 2 and a sell on clause which gets it back. We get nothing for him next year and he appears to be not the greatest character. Particularly if it enables us to get a player in
Why, when he only has one year left on his Wolves contract, would we wish to pay any of his wages for longer than that?

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why, when he only has one year left on his Wolves contract, would we wish to pay any of his wages for longer than that?
Given the reason we want him to leave is seemingly so we can get some cash back on him, I would have thought he would be more useful as part of the squad here.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
João Gomes is the one we need to worry about losing.

If Moises Caicedo is £100m cause he can win the ball back and cover the entire pitch what is João worth based on Monday night?

These are the midfielders in demand nowadays.
If he continues at the current trajectory he could be our first 100m player.

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score

Interesting read from BBC. Seems a rubbish recruitment model to simply hijack the transfers of other PL clubs. Maybe, just maybe, our own recruitment will prove £££ shrewd (Neto, Cunha, Nunes, Gomes, Fabio (?!), B Traore).

Given Chelsea & Saudi are intent to buy everyone, there are soon going to be no players left to sell. We have to keep this squad together, if only for this season.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I believe what you say is correct but there are unknowns. We don’t know the loss for the year ended May 31 2023 yet but 80 million May or may not be a good estimate . We don’t know how much the shareholders will contribute to make good losses but I suspect they have already put in the 105 million and said no more as that would breachFFP. And the profit or loss based on player trading depends on the amortization not the total purchases or sales. If the last two years are 120 million of losses and Fosun have put in 105 million, wolves must make an overall profit in the year to May 2024 of at least 15 million. That’s not on player trading but on the operations overall including what we had to pay Lage and Loppy and amortization on all our players. That may be a tough ask given the usual operations are at a loss. I can therefore understand the club being cautious and as a critical number is the results to May 2024 I am surprised there are so many visionaries who are sure there is no problem.As far as I can see nothing changes with a new owner but if possible action hangs over us I can see that would make a sale impossible.
Exactly. 3 years ago was a profit, so we were good for those 3 years. And yeah 80 million was an estimate by one of the writers, can't remember which.

A 15 million profit still leaves us in not great shape with the big loss year still on the books, which could easily explain why we want a bigger profit.

Then again, it's all jobs gibberish without knowing the full numbers, which we never get access too. So I can understand frustration.

I've also been less frustrated than most because I think we have a great squad. Really, really good. Fairly deep too. The only place I would really like incomings is CB and an experienced #3 forward incase of injuries.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Interesting read from BBC. Seems a rubbish recruitment model to simply hijack the transfers of other PL clubs. Maybe, just maybe, our own recruitment will prove £££ shrewd (Neto, Cunha, Nunes, Gomes, Fabio (?!), B Traore).

Given Chelsea & Saudi are intent to buy everyone, there are soon going to be no players left to sell. We have to keep this squad together, if only for this season.
Poor argument really, the top clubs don't want these players when they're still developing, they want them when they've had time to settle. We'll very likely have the same problem with Gomes, Nunes, Cunha in a year's time.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We wouldn’t….problem is Podence.

If he wants £xk per week and believes he’ll get that (and a signing on bonus) on a free next Summer then he won’t accept £xk minus from Celtic after the first year.

So deal has to ensure Podence gets close to what he is expecting next Summer or else he’ll sit on hands and see out contract.

Assuming he is on £60k per week we know we have an outlay of £3m if he stays (and nothing at end). We also have a £3.75m amortisation of his fee going through books. So a total cost of retaining him for season of £6.75m whether he plays a minute or not.

We value him at £12m (potentially) and if we could sell at that would benefit by £8.25m amortisation (and £3m salary saving).

Allegedly highest wage at Celtic is £30k per week. Over 3 years that would suggest £4.5m gap in earnings for Podence (vs his expectation).

So you could imagine a deal where Celtic value hIm at £10m with a £30k salary but need to pay additional £30k salary or 4.5m to Podence over contract and we therefore have to accept £5m-£6m.

Alternative is a loan for a season, say a loan fee of £5m and we pay £1m of wages.

Doesn’t feel like we a have a strong negotiating hand unless we can drum up multiple bidders - Saudi….

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The big clubs already do this, it's just that in most cases their development gets stunted and they get sold on.

Chelsea have signed an 18 year old winger from Brazil this season for around £12m, last year they signed Slonina, Fofana (CF one), Andrey Santos and even Chukwuemeka from Villa all for £10-15m each.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The big clubs already do this, it's just that in most cases their development gets stunted and they get sold on.

Chelsea have signed an 18 year old winger from Brazil this season for around £12m, last year they signed Slonina, Fofana (CF one), Andrey Santos and even Chukwuemeka from Villa all for £10-15m each.
The Brazilian who we were after and Arsenal stepped in is now likely to be moved on too....

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The loans are beginning to happen-its about time we secured a good one or is that impossible for the club too?! That or an option to buy deal or even an obligation to buy next season if we really like any player.

It seems at the moment everything depends on selling Podence and to a lesser degree Jonny. Good luck with that! I am amazed we can't do some kind of modest deal whereby an initial payment is relatively low- perhaps £3-4m or so with the rest being paid next summer. We are only looking to spend about £10m max and probably less on a CB...and yet we get the blank message NOTHING can be done unless we sell yet more players. Even taking into account the overspend in January this seems incredible for a medium sized established Premier League club who have slashed their wage bill and brought in around £90m this summer in player sales. Meanwhile all our competitors are strengthening like mad. If we are unlucky with injuries again we are heading for the bottom six without some sensible moves in the next two weeks.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well that will be mcatee out of any loan options

Just doyle then
Is Doyle better than Joe Hodge? I doubt there is much in it and we should be encouraging our own boys' develoment not other clubs' players. McAtee would be a better option but he would struggle to get the games he would want with us and we havn't a brass bean to spend in any case even on a loan deal.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is Doyle better than Joe Hodge? I doubt there is much in it and we should be encouraging our own boys' develoment not other clubs' players. McAtee would be a better option but he would struggle to get the games he would want with us and we havn't a brass bean to spend in any case even on a loan deal.
Probably not very similar

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Guedes

Gonçalo Guedes returns to Benfica until the end of the month​

Attentive to this whole process is Betis​

Either way should get an outcome for guedes before end of window

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After the way this summer has developed, I would not trust the club to spend a single penny of any further sales on new signings fees. Every time there have been reports about what we need to sell before we can buy, we’ve had the sales, and then the goalposts move again, and again.

I do not trust Shi. At all. Not in the slightest. Trust once broken is hard to rebuild, and that man has well and truly trashed it.

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Guedes

Gonçalo Guedes returns to Benfica until the end of the month​

Attentive to this whole process is Betis​

Either way should get an outcome for guedes before end of window
Better be a loan with obligation

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is O Neill going to have any say on transfers this window? Would he want old West Ham has beens etc?

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After the way this summer has developed, I would not trust the club to spend a single penny of any further sales on new signings fees. Every time there have been reports about what we need to sell before we can buy, we’ve had the sales, and then the goalposts move again, and again.

I do not trust Shi. At all. Not in the slightest. Trust once broken is hard to rebuild, and that man has well and truly trashed it.
We said exactly the same thing before raul and giles left. 11 million in the kitty.

We will sell podence and move on guedes and they still won't help us with transfers in.

Back
Top Bottom