Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get that the window was going to be slow but jeeez... we kick off the new season 4 weeks on Monday and we've got so much work to do it's ridiculous. Get a move on Wolves please....
How slow did you think they meant?

SilverstoneWolf

Reaction score
Lopetegui is a bit more flexible in how he sets up formation wise, depending on the situation.

We will probably see 433, 4222 (narrow 442 like last season), 4411 and 4231 all come into play I think, maybe even 352 or 343 at times.

What that means is we need adaptable forward players.

Cunha and Hwang are similar as they can both play off the left or as second strikers.

Nunes has proven he can play as a narrow wider attacking midfield player on the right or the left.

Sarabia can play centrally or come inside off the right.

Chiquinho and Neto are more traditional outside wingers on the right and left, although Neto can play inside off the right too. Giles and Ait Nouri are outside wing options on the left if they stay too.

If Podence stays, he can play left, right or centrally.

Scott is probably more of a Nunes type if he comes.

Having all these different types of player gives us lots of options before and during games.
All such ‘flexibility’ of options is fine BUT JL needs to decide on formation & stick with it. Players need to know their role and rehearse with the same players in their respective roles. The best sides ALWAYS have a set formation that almost all of us could name. You done get top players moving from DM one week to wide M the next, then attacking M, then a ‘false 9’, then….
Football is (and always was) -as Cloughie would say - ‘a simple game played by simple folk’!

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
there is no sudden change, there is a whole forum to talk in detail about other things. Talking about transfers is one thing but every time there is in depth arguments about how we will play, whether an existing player is this or that or the old favourite for 100th time the ffp limits.

As stated ad nauseum if you want to talk in depth about something start a new thread on it. I will continue to delete stuff and it wont always be accurate, but i dont always have time and if i hapeen to notice the same people going way off topic i'll just start removing their right to post on this thread.

and before anyone starts i'm not gong to have an argument again about this.
I mean you can very easily argue that FFP and how we will play in terms of formation directly relates to our transfer strategy this summer, given those are very relevant topics, especially this summer with how it's played out thus far.

You deleted a post I made a couple days ago about another clubs transfers (Tonali), is that not allowed now either?

If you don't want to engage in an "argument" then can you at least provide some level of clarity for what you are specifically allowing in this thread?

I'm happy to make another thread for "non-Wolves" transfer window related discussion, if that is the main issue.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean you can very easily argue that FFP and how we will play in terms of formation directly relates to our transfer strategy this summer, given those are very relevant topics, especially this summer with how it's played out thus far.

You deleted a post I made a couple days ago about another clubs transfers (Tonali), is that not allowed now either?

If you don't want to engage in an "argument" then can you at least provide some level of clarity for what you are specifically allowing in this thread?

I'm happy to make another thread for "non-Wolves" transfer window related discussion, if that is the main issue.
Will you be wanting the five minute argument or the one hour argument ? With apologies to our hard working mods.

Last edited:

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Is it the worst thing in the world if it goes off topic for a couple of pages?
There's nothing else going on with Wolves in the close season so would it hurt if people chat nonsense interspersed with transfer chat?
Nobody's stopping you chatting nonsense, but there are other places on the forum it could be done. Posters come to this thread looking for transfer news but it gets lost amongst all the other stuff.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score

Transfer talk. The actual or rumoured deals themselves. Not FFP, not formations.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know it's only July but with all of the players who have left and others rumoured to be leaving we're going to go back to the position where we don't have any options on the bench.

It was so crucial last year to have options with 5 subs and I'm sure we got most of our points from subs on the bench. Disappointing to see all of these players leaving.
The bench for our first match last season against Leeds (We lost 2-1) was a bit scary:
Campbell
Mosquera
Sarkic
Boly
Coady
Ronan
Cundle
Hodge
Bueno

I just hope and pray we have better quality when we play Man U!

Andy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it the worst thing in the world if it goes off topic for a couple of pages?
There's nothing else going on with Wolves in the close season so would it hurt if people chat nonsense interspersed with transfer chat?
No there's nothing wrong with it. Moderation on this forum has always been a joke.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nobody's stopping you chatting nonsense, but there are other places on the forum it could be done. Posters come to this thread looking for transfer news but it gets lost amongst all the other stuff.
May suprise you but agree, why doesnt someone just start a Transfers, General Chat thread.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Obviously this is wheeling dealing time and apart from the big boys who have already done big deals, clubs living in the real world are scrabbling around to get the best deals possible. It will hot up in around three weeks time I guess. At this point it is looking pretty worrying especially as Sa, Podence, Ait-Nouri, Silva, Bueno, Jiminez, Sarabia, Giles and Sanderson are all being mentioned as potential further sales....never mind Kilman and the disaster that is Guedes. With Traore, Costa, Moutinho and Neves already out of the door how can we possibly replace so many players with any quality in such a short period? If reports are correct we are being priced out of all our first choices like Scott, Wahi etc. How much money is actually available and if we are shopping in the 12m to 15m area max then how on earth can we get in a striker who is of any use at all. Che Adams/Doherty type signings are reserves at best and don't rate Adams in particular.

Let's wait and see, perhaps the club will surprise us but I reckon Loptegui is a worried man at this point and won't want to hang around for long if he doesn't have a squad that is at least basically competitive.

The folly of £35m spent on Silva, £37m on Semedo, £27m on Guedes never mind the £16m on Cutrone is finally coming home to roost= that's £115m on them alone with only Semedo making any contribution at all and that not too impressive. Then we have question marks over Nunes-£38m and Cunha £42m both of whom have also underwhelmed so far. So roughly £195m spent and a wobbly 13th last season the result. Credit to Fosun for being willing to lay out that kind of cash but some woeful football decisions in there and now FFP is biting hard.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Is that a reference to pugwash?

I remember Seaman Staines, although I think it turned out to be an urban myth?

Oops... gone a bit of topic there ... better clear off before mods come back!
Don’t forget Master Bates

Madmalc

Reaction score
I mean we're taking bloody forever just to get free agent Doherty done! We really do carry out transfers at a snail's pace
Transfers seem to be going at a snails pace everywhere at the moment. Adama is still a free agent and had since January to sort out where he was going to go.
I put it down to the international games still ongoing.
Only when managers get their full squad together will they find out who is crocked or surplus to needs.
The last week in July may pick up sum momentum.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Get in the side and get a number of assists, a team could easily throw a bag of money at him
I get your point but his assists on the whole in the championship have been bog standard championship goals (swinging a ball into a box) you don’t seen many of them in the premier league outside kane and Haaland (who are elite) as the defenders are just better

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, the same summer where we panic bought after losing to Leeds and drawing with Fulham.

The same Summer where Palhinha was holding out for us, instead going to Fulham because we had our hands in our pockets.
Who did we panic buy after those defeats? Sasa had been lined up through the summer and the rest were in before season kick off.

Palinha wasn’t ever a priority or we’d have signed him in the previous 6 windows we’d been linked to him. We wanted (and needed) a more attacking midfielder hence why we signed Nunes.

R

reanswolf

Who did we panic buy after those defeats? Sasa had been lined up through the summer and the rest were in before season kick off.

Palinha wasn’t ever a priority or we’d have signed him in the previous 6 windows we’d been linked to him. We wanted (and needed) a more attacking midfielder hence why we signed Nunes.
The fact he wasn’t doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence.

T

TheConcourse

The modding is ridiculous on things like this. We are grown adults having a chat, does it matter if it veers off here or there?!?

Anyway, I won't say another word so no need for action.
Mods need to realise that people shoot for convenience. Over moderation will just see people disappear to the million other platforms that exist.

Bigcheese

Reaction score
You may have answered you're own question, because Nunes was considerably below "half decent" most of last season. Perhaps some cover in case Nunes never does live up to the hype? Though the "give him ever more time to settle" argument wont' apply to Scott, he will cost probably half the amount, too. So half decent at half the price sounds good business.
Does it though?
Who's to say he's going to hit the floor running?
He's 5'8" and not as far through as a wiggly worm, some of the midfielder's and defenders in the premier league will have him for breakfast before he's even settled.
Nunes has had the benefit of a year in the league now and will be the better for it.
We don't have the time to bed a 25m maybe star in.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Generally the mods do a really good thankless task, but I think they're really going over the top with this one. Where do you draw the line? People are having an all round chat about the transfer window, isn't that the point?

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't get this clamour for Scott's signature.
25m on a 19yr old who had a half decent season who'll occupy the same position as Nunes.
Not for me personally.
It would help us justify continuing to play Nunes out of position though!

I would like to see Scott join because I think he's got great potential, but he's definitely not a priority position and we've been here before spending an excessive portion of our budget on players we wanted rather than needed.

Reactions: Ian

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Pau Torres for £31.5m is cracking business by Villa regrettably. Wonder if Diego Carlos may be made available by Emery and could interest JL

Can see Villa being in the mix for top 6 next year too. Averaged just shy of 2 points a game since Emery came in and will be stronger next season with Torres and Tielemans and potentially other incomings.

Jericho

Groupie
Reaction score

So you wouldn't call a deadline day deal for Sasa - who was half crocked - a panic buy? What about Guedes? We got him in after Leeds and he was linked with us since our first season back in the prem.

Yet Palhinha was Fulham signing of the season for Fulham at 20m and Nunes was.... Well... He scored a good goal against Chelsea.

The only signing we made before a ball was kicked was Nathan Collins, and we've just booted him out the door.

So we spent 100m last summer, doesn't mean nothing when it's ****ed up the wall.

I'm just worried we'll end up doing the exact same thing as last summer.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pau Torres for £31.5m is cracking business by Villa regrettably. Wonder if Diego Carlos may be made available by Emery and could interest JL

Can see Villa being in the mix for top 6 next year too. Averaged just shy of 2 points a game since Emery came in and will be stronger next season with Torres and Tielemans and potentially other incomings.
No green eyed monster from me but I’m not convinced Torres has the physicality for the premier league

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yeah Villa have had a great last year really on and off the field. Left us well behind at the moment. Question will be how long they can keep Emery, but top six is definitely on the table so he will be enjoying himself.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The modding is ridiculous on things like this. We are grown adults having a chat, does it matter if it veers off here or there?!?

Anyway, I won't say another word so no need for action.
On this thread I disagree entirely. Pages of guff not about transfers. I go on this thread to see if there is any news on them.

And yes I do see the irony in this post.

Back
Top Bottom