Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Sheff Utd Verdict

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Terrible performance.

Outside of Jota and Raul nobody looked bothered to attack.

Neves and Joao did nothing but get bullied and play the simple pass.

Adama looked lost and couldn't adapt to the poor conditions.

Boly and Saiss looked terrible, passing from them was awful.

Deserve to lose. No options off the bench either.

portugamerifinn

Groupie
Reaction score
Take a look in the mirror! Anyone who states to sell one of our most improved men, needs to actually consider if they back the right team...

They say “Sell high” for a reason and you’ve got to sell if you want to buy. It’s part of football.

I’m not saying he needs to be sold, but hypothetically if you could sell him for a bounty at the end of the season and get someone who can be a threat in the middle of the pitch then the attack actually could be better off. And wingers are easier to come by. See Pedro Neto.

MikeH68

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Way to negative, negative sub. Try to win the game, stop passing backwards all the way when we are up to the opposition penalty area (okay when 2.0 up). Why take Adama off? Try something different Podence or Neto etc... Maybe wild card Campana? They are obviously great at set pieces, why try to give away silly free kicks corners. Some players look casual and sloppy, Saiss always worries me, fouls, diving in. Boly looks mistake ridden. We are a very, very risk averse team. We have fast counter attacking players use them and don’t keep passing backwards if you want to win a game. Simples.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Someone tell me what our game plan was tonight?

I assume we went out there to win? But how, I don’t know what pattern or strategy we were using or trying to?

So many individual bad performances, but it was the drive of the team that frustrated me the most, and then you go to Nuno asking why he didn’t change it? Surely he can’t have watched that game thinking yeah, that’s what I’m going for?

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d argue we’ve been woeful since the restart

Maybe. West Ham, Bournemouth and Villa were a favourable first three games for us. Ironically they’re the games we’d have lost last season and then beaten Arsenal and Sheffield United.

One thing I’m sure we’ll all agree on, that was particularly ****e this evening.

D

Deleted member 4184

Patricio 6
Boly 2
Coady 5
Saiss 3
Doherty 4
Moutinho 3
Neves 8
Jonny 2
Adama 3
Raul 4
Diogo 4

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never tested their keeper did we! So, so frustrating.

We never got going and their defence had a relatively easy 90 minutes. Nuno seemingly happy with a point by bringing Donk on who hardly got involved . Why not be more adventurous and bring Podenice on?

Some serious thinking to do before Burnley on Sunday. Some of our regular starting 11 need a break but who is there to replace them? Doc, Jonny, Big Willy, Diogo to name 4 who are not performing.

Sort it out Nuno!

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he dont like his bench, why sign the ****ers. Ugh. Take us back to lockdown. Makes it worse that this is all we've ****ing got to do bar work.

D

Deleted member 5276

In one word... desire... or lack of it.

Looks like we have run out of steam since the break and frankly, the three games we did win weren't exactly great. It was just job done. Tonight we were utter garbage. Sheff Utd simply wanted it more and never stopped competing and in the end, got their spoils. We had more quality, they had more desire.

Rui - Didn't have much to do all game.6
Doherty - dreadful. Lost possession far too much and didn't seem to have any idea of what he was supposed to do when he did have it. 3
Boly - terrible game. Terrible in possession, terrible positioning and allowing Sharp to nutmeg him just about sums up his performance. 3
Coady - looked tired but at least was there to see the danger and clear it. Again, his distribution wasn't up to his normal standards. 5
Saiiss - giving away needless free kicks is his speciality and again tonight he didn't disappoint. 4
Jonny - gave us nothing going forward except to slow play down. One or two good pieces of defending. 5
Neves - almost gave us the lead and always looked to have time on the ball. Best of a bad bunch. 6
Moutinho - tidy but nothing cutting edge. Gave it away a few times needlessly. 5
Traore - one trick pony... run at the defence, get behind them and no-one there to try and get on the end of it. Defenders are wise to him now. They put 2/ 3 on him and that nulifies the threat. Shame we're not smart enough to move the ball faster and exploit the spaces it leaves. 5
Raul - if he spent half as much time trying to get on the end of Traore's crosses instead of looking skywards at another missed possibility, he'd actually be more dangerous than he has been the last three games. He got far too much credit for the goal he scored against West Ham when really Traore did the work and now he's either looking jaded or looking at a move away. Something is missing with his desire. 3
Jota - lively but we always know what we're getting with Jota. He tries and sometimes it runs for him and other times it doesn't. Clinically hacked down first half when on a great run. Always looked the player most capable of creating a threat for us tonight. 6
Dendonker - did absolutely nothing. 3

Nuno - not often you can criticise Nuno but he had a stinker tonight and at the weekend. Needs to do far more than he did with the team over the last 180 mins otherwise we can forget top 6 and we'll be lucky to match last season at this rate. I don't know if he's got his eyes on Europe after the league finishes but he must be better than this.

Overall, Sheff Utd deserved the win simply because they had more desire.

Kingswood Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Take a look in the mirror! Anyone who states to sell one of our most improved men, needs to actually consider if they back the right team...

Don't consider my reasons or anything love, just go straight into the a personal jibe. Brilliant.

Wolfman jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The dilemma is thT AT is our most improved and sometimes our most threatening player but it stops us playing like we used to last season and makes us one dimensional . Tricky . I think on balance i would sell if a huge offer comes in and replace with 2-3 quality players ready for PL.

Y

Yout85

The most lacklustre I've seen us under Nuno. No urgency or desire.... very, very disappointing.

Rui didn't have a lot to do, and was certainly not at fault for their goal - 6

Coady as wayward as I've seen him... was as if he and Doc were having a private competition to see who could give the ball away the most - 5

Boly was...... wait.... that can't be Boly, right? He was baffling bad today... as casual as ever, but without any of the class or assurance - 4

Saiss a little more accurate with his passing, but that's basically all that can be said - 6

Jonny had a frustrating day... one of a few who actually looked to be putting in some effort, but nothing came off - 6

Doc was woeful... as bad as I've seen him for many years. A couple of decent blocks at the back, but a non existent threat going forward - 4

Neves.... still looks classy even when we are not on it. Not at fault today, but miles away from his best - 6

Moutinho, similarly to Jonny seemed to at least be trying to up the tempo, but to no avail - 6

Traore seemed to he affected by the early challenge and was avoiding any battles. Looked dangerous at times, but far from his frightening best - 6

Jota tried so hard... probably too hard and needs to start doing the simple things better - 5

Jimenez had some really good touches, and was full of energy, but just wasn't getting the support from his teammates. Must be so frustrating for him - 7

Dendoncker had no time to make an impact.

Podence must be wondering why he wasn't given a chance... and so am I.

Most infuriating moment of the game was that **** Enda Stephens literally launching himself into Adama to bring him down as he was running through. I think that should be a red card all day long. No intention whatsoever to play the ball... was effectively an unprovoked assault.

Must do better.

TheAdmiral

Reaction score
The second terrible performance of the week, we had nothing going forward and Boly was absolutely awful. You can forget the Champions League we’ll be lucky to get in to the Europa League at this rate. I can see this season totally fizzling out with us finishing mid table and if that does happen I think we’ll struggle to hang on to the likes of Jiminez and Neves.

cookey

In Memory
Reaction score
It's almost like Nuno and the team know that something they aren't too happy with is happening at the end of the season, don't know owt but that's what it looks like to little old me ;-(

Tony

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd give Raul a 10. He ran his socks off and played a blinder for no reward.

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moutinho and neves are so ineffective in an attacking sense atm. In desperate need for a athletic midfielder

Been crying out since last season for one. Not sure it's what Nuno wants out of his midfield unfortunately.

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Raul’s worst performance in a Wolves shirt yet?

Fair play to Sheffield United, they outplayed us at Molineux and executed the smash and grab perfectly tonight.

I love Nuno and this team. But these past two performances have been woeful. The rain certainly didn’t help tonight, but we couldn’t even do the basics and that is unacceptable at this level in a game of this importance

The way Traore, Raul and Jota played you’d be forgiven for starting to believe the rumours they see their futures elsewhere.

Not been this ****ed off with Wolves for at least 3-4 days.
I thought raul was one of the better players today, along with coady.

MrwulfAndrew

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everything is far too slow and lacks creativity and energy at the minute. We need some energy in the middle of the park. Looking at the bench there isnt enough on there to challenge the first 11. We have not improved that first 11 at all this season.

Crucial summer coming up

D

Deleted member 5635

Do we get fined for not naming enough subs?
If not we may as well name Dendoncker and Neto when available and give the rest a night off.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
for the amount of possession we had in their half first half we created remarkably few chances first half, final pass or shot poor, or ball just not running for us. Started to fade second half and really needed some subs to shake things up, but only donk came on and nothing rally changed. Decent game from Neves first half not in the game as much second half
Jota lively and in the game more first half but poor final ball/decision/shot.
Raul too much time on the wing and did little else.
A poor game from Boly.

Think the number of games we've played this season and small squad is catching up with us, not making use of the 5 subs available just doesn't make sense

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
bye bye champions league for this season. We wouldn't have deserved it with how we attack anyway.
Really toothless last 2 matches. Can't string passes together in the final 3rd lately.
Just gotta try and consolidate a Europa league place for next season now, and hope we're in form for the Europa in August.
Not sure why Podence wasn't given half an hour, couldn't have been any worse than our front three.
Can't be too harsh I suppose. We're talking about blowing our champions league place, not like missing out on the play offs etc.... like we're normally used to.
Still disappointing tho.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought raul was one of the better players today, along with coady.

One of my all time Wolves favourites. But thought he was terrible tonight. Slow decision making and on occasions selfish when a better pass was on.

Perhaps unfair to single him out as not many players were anything above decidedly average.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
don't think the performance was worth of two verdict threads

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First half I felt we shaded without getting a goal. Second half was pretty much in the balance until the last 10 minutes when sheff united were knocking on the door for a bit before they got that last goal. Not much in it but only one side went for the win in those last ten.

Super NES

Groupie
Reaction score
This is what will happen from time to time with the way Nuno sets up our team - the majority of the time it comes off, we get a lead and then defend well to keep it. When it doesn't work, its a frustrating style and looks bad.....very bad....and today was that day.

Whatever happens from now to the end of the season, when you take a step back it will be a memorable one. But I am concerned by the ultra safety first mentality we have and it seems to be creeping in more - Donk for Adama.......No Podence......Using 1 out of 5 subs just baffles me. It worked for the first 3 games in that we contained teams for 60 minutes and then hit them, but that shouldn't mean its our go-to tactic for every game!

In terms of the actual game, I thought no-one covered themselves in glory. Rui did great to recover from Bolys underhit pass and Neves was unlucky with the free kick. Our best move of the game actually came from the move that won us that free kick, with a nice interchange between Jiminez and Jota.

I thought Boly was somewhere else tonight - his terrible pass to Rui and then giving a stupid free kick away in a dangerous position for absolutely no reason summed it up. Coady's passing range was way off which didn't help, but appreciate that Sheffields shape cut off that diagonal ball for the most part.

Very frustrating to watch, some baffling decisions (or lack off) both on the pitch and on the sidelines.

Big game on Sunday - make no mistake, we are in a huge fight for 6th.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quick Nuno, fly them to Marbella!!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Raul’s worst performance in a Wolves shirt yet?

I thought he was much better today than in the previous two. He was virtually non-existant in those, though.

The way Traore, Raul and Jota played you’d be forgiven for starting to believe the rumours they see their futures elsewhere.

It's a horrible thought, but you may be right. It would explain why sincew restart, the team isn't playing with anywhere near the intensity we've seen in the past 3 seasons.

Ditton Wolf

Reaction score
The team in general looks tired and devoid of ideas. No real competition for places on the bench.
Poor decision making Jota in particular in the final third.
Feel sorry for Raul he works his socks off but no real support from a creative midfield player since the restart. We flattered to deceive with our 3 wins at the restart and against really poor opposition.

A few players might be tempted to leave if these performances continue and there Is no European football next season.

Back
Top Bottom