Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Sheff Utd Verdict

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's almost like Nuno and the team know that something they aren't too happy with is happening at the end of the season, don't know owt but that's what it looks like to little old me ;-(
Doesn't give them the right to down tools and **** off the Molineux faithful. Nah - they're just ordinary on and off the park at the mo. Jiminez has no competition - Cutrone at least used to lift the spirits a wee bit last quarter of the match. The other subs seem to be just there to make up the numbers, Neto apart. What on earth Podence must have thought tonight with Donk coming on in front of him.

Michellis

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Garbage wasn't it.
Pretty much followed on from Saturday.
Never troubled the keeper.
Never looked like scoring.
Never looked cohesive.
Nil threat.
Really horrible to watch actually because it always looked like they'd nick it.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Such a negative approach from Nuno again, so disappointing. 2 shots on target in 2 games and it's been like watching paint dry. Traore wasn't at his best but was still our only attacking outlet, yet he chose to sub him for a CM. Defensive and negative.

Overall, terribly turgid stuff. Got a fight for a UEL spot now, will have to improve rapidly. Midfield needs a shake up too, Moutinho isn't doing it for me, getting away with it big time at the moment.

R

reanswolf

I didn't think you can accuse the players of a lack of effort, but something is clearly missing.
Boly again looked like he was half with it, which worries me. The rest worked very hard against a team who you know will fight to the end. Give credit to them, they were everywhere, fighting like dogs, covering every inch of ground.

Rui - 6 - nothing to really do, should have let the ball go out that earned them the corner for the winner though.
Doc - 6.5 - worked hard but no space for him
Johnny 6 - tigerish but occasionally switched off
Boly - 5 - skinned a few times and blew hot and cold
Saiss - 6 - he looks so fragile but stuck at it
Coady - 7 - some great interceptions
Neves - 6 - worked very hard unlucky with free kick
Moutinho - 6 - pretty ineffective tho tidy
Traore - 6.5 - one or two good runs
Jota - 7 - a few trademark runs
Jimenez - 7 - great defensive work but no supply to him upfront

Basically, Boly aside, I thought everyone worked their knackers off, but we were just too lightweight in the middle. Moutinho is already a legend but the amount of times they just skipped through our tackles was alarming. There was nil attacking intent at times, but Sheff Utd just ground us down in the end and arguably like Arsenal, deserved the win.

Talk of Champions League has gone to peoples heads, give them a wobble.

Depressed :)-

Pessimistic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Big difference today and against Arsenal is Boly looked beyond awful. He has been one of our most talented and consistent defenders, so in the grand scheme of things I'd let him off, but my god was he bad.

Traore starting makes us one dimensional and very easy to manage. Jota isn't in great form and Jimenez can only do so much. First touches across the forward 3 were poor.

Also a bit baffled at the lack of substitutions and plan B. We applied for special dispension for Daniel Podence to sit on the bench.

For the second time since restart, Wolves gave up mentally long before they lost.

In Nuno I trust, but he's not impervious to criticism. This loss comes from the training ground, the changing room and his tactics board

BuzzWolves

Groupie
Reaction score
Terrible performance.

Outside of Jota and Raul nobody looked bothered to attack.

Neves and Joao did nothing but get bullied and play the simple pass.

Adama looked lost and couldn't adapt to the poor conditions.

Boly and Saiss looked terrible, passing from them was awful.

Deserve to lose. No options off the bench either.
If only they were all a couple of inches taller we may have won.

Tezthewolvesfan

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Big difference today and against Arsenal is Boly looked beyond awful. He has been one of our most talented and consistent defenders, so in the grand scheme of things I'd let him off, but my god was he bad.

Traore starting makes us one dimensional and very easy to manage. Jota isn't in great form and Jimenez can only do so much. First touches across the forward 3 were poor.

Also a bit baffled at the lack of substitutions and plan B. We applied for special dispension for Daniel Podence to sit on the bench.

For the second time since restart, Wolves gave up mentally long before they lost.

In Nuno I trust, but he's not impervious to criticism. This loss comes from the training ground, the changing room and his tactics board
We didn't give up, they scored in the last minute!

Tony

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Their UK players seemed more used to the wet conditions to be fair!

wolfinexile

Reaction score
These reports are totally over the top. Wolves are not playing well and have been far too cautious in the previous four games. However, today they were up against a team who fought for every ball and Wolves gave as good as they got. The quality was not there apart from Jota, Jiminez occasionally and Traore occasionally. Boly was dire. But to say they were gutless is ridiculous. Stupid--Doherty's hand ball--and unlucky goal--ball bounced off about 4 Wolves players before going out for the crucial corner. Sheffield United are a smart team and Wolves handled them well apart from the crucial moment.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need a plan B. We could’ve brought anyone on and it wouldn’t made a difference. The issue is the way we play. It’s so predictable and every team in England knows what we’re going to do. We need to be flexible in our approach, the ability to switch from a back 3 would benefit us in games like this. Never going to happen under nuno though unfortunately

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I predicted on one of the threads the other day we would lose to a late set-piece. I find no joy in being proven correct.

I was disappointed in the Arsenal performance. Tonight I'm slightly annoyed. The first half was okay, but the second we never looked like scoring.

I try to find some positive in every game, and the only one tonight is that it is plainly obvious we need to invest in the attacking portion of the squad. To have such little impact going forward in the second half and the only change is bringing on Dendoncker for Traore just highlights how much we need to improve.

If Podence wasn't in the right physical or state of mind to come on due to his recent personal issues then we should have someone else in the squad sitting on the bench ready to take his place. Is Campana actually good enough? We can't just rely on Neto. Then there is Vinagre, Jordao & Gibbs-White. Could they not have given us something different in the last twenty minutes? I'm not overreacting to a bad result. It's something the club needs to look at and get right, which I believe they will. It's okay to have a small squad, but we still need some real quality to call on from the bench.

On to Everton. Let's get back on track. They've looked poor recently so it's a game we can win.

Tony

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With all the mutual respect from the managers, did the best manager win tonight? I think so!

Saltyjim

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gutted we lost in that manner, but after a half decent first half the first 10 minutes of the second half was terrible and we never really got going for the rest of the game. Jota can be so frustrating and the amount of times our players lost their footing? Keep giving them chances from set pieces and eventually they were going to get one right

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Poor performance against a good team and ****e conditions for both.

For those saying they are losing patience with Nuno get a ****ing grip!!. Let's get Lambert or Hoddle back...

Why is Nuno seemingly above criticism? If Lambert has been in charge tonight the Mix would have ripped him a new ********

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Patricio 6
Boly 2
Coady 5
Saiss 3
Doherty 4
Moutinho 3
Neves 8
Jonny 2
Adama 3
Raul 4
Diogo 4
Do not think most of the team was that bad bar Boly. The key score is Nuno 3

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Crazy how we all see things differently,but i thought Raul was probably our best player today
Worked hard some, great touches,and one of our best defenders at times
Seemed Nuno settled for the draw last half hour,and the only way they would score would be a set piece so we gave them a load last 10 minutes
We seem disjointed and one dimensional since we came back,far too casual in defence no real spark in midfield and very little up front,so we wont win many playing like that
Nuno has to take the flak as well as the plaudits,and hes got things wrong last 2 games,but the players are stuck in second gear and in danger of finishing 9/10th instead of top 6

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Conceding like that would normally make me feel sick but I just felt a bit meh when it hit the net.

The game was very poor. Neither side had a sustained period of pressure until it got to injury time and Sheff Utd put it on us for a bit for a few mins. Neither side looked in any danger whatsoever other than that. We were alright in the first half, mind.

If we start from the back...

Every Patricio goal kick struggling to get over the half way line, just about reaching Doherty in an awkward position to the point he can only head it out, it happens so much. He's a superb goalkeeper but every time he plays out we lose possession. Only a minor issue because it's usually around the half way line.

Boly, Coady and Saiss all poor on the ball. And considering the amount of times they had the ball between them, boy was it noticeable. Boly knobbing around at the back again for the second game in a row. Our best defender of course but it's frustrating to watch him when he's not concentrating. When he's not focused it leaves our other poorer defenders in trouble. I know Boly doesn't like interviews and since that clip did the rounds of him basically calling Arsenal toss last week he's been woeful.

Doherty OK but not as threatening as usual going forward, Jonny never offers much going forward but tonight got caught out several times going backwards. He's a very solid player but time for Vinagre to get some minutes and offer something different. If we aren't creating chances elsewhere, stick the kid in, because at least he'll fly forward at pace.

Neves and Moutinho worked hard, can't fault them too much.

The front three. Where do we start? So much talent, and apart from a couple of counters in the first half, they weren't in the game at all. Frustrating. Raul's best work was all done in our own half, but I guess that's a result of him needing to come deep because nobody from our side was dragging the game forward.

I don't even think Sheff Utd 'did a job on us', or however they will want to frame it, because the amount of times they gifted the ball to us and we broke and either passed sidewards or had atrocious end product was remarkable. 33 games into last season, Jimenez and Jota would've eaten them alive if they gave the ball to us like that on the halfway line. Happened at least three or four times.

Time for Adama to go back to being our impact player so we at least have somebody on the bench to change it.

Feel bad for moaning but when we know how good we can be, it's frustrating. Truth be told 1 point vs 0 points tonight makes no difference at all. We're still in control of sixth and can still be taken over by the teams behind us if we were to lose one more. Just need to get back at it. Three very winnable games before we decide whether we need to get at Chelsea or throw the game with the Europa in mind the week after.

All this being said, there will never be any questioning of Nuno from me. No doubt one more defeat and loads of people will want him out, like they did last November when we lost five in a row before beating Chelsea. We're Wolves, we can't batter teams every week. We work hard, more often than not our quality shines through. We've had a bad week. Next. You'll be licking his **** when we stick nine men behind the ball in the Europa League Semi Final and Jimenez and Jota score on the break.

Last edited:

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno and his style of play has taken us as far as he can :eek:

Wolfheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno bottled it. Potentially costing the club a windfall of £60-70m.

Unforgivable to play for a draw in such a position.

Now we’re even more on the back foot to try and get even Europa.

Luckily he has 4 games to redeem himself and focus on Europa.

One things for sure. Taking this mentality into the Europa League won’t even see us reach Germany to even contest it.

Mrs E

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First half was ok second half was dismal far too many errors. Attention on Everton on Sunday now

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's almost like Nuno and the team know that something they aren't too happy with is happening at the end of the season, don't know owt but that's what it looks like to little old me ;-(
I was thinking the same thing even during the Bournemouth game. Thought maybe that I was reading too much into it, but the same thought occured in the second half of this game.

It's as if whatever incentives/ambitions/plans they started the season with - and entered into lockdown with - are now void.

peter&thewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Couldn't defend a corner in the last 30 seconds, cost us a good point

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How much do we need a creative and attacking player through the middle? We've been crying out for one for 2 seasons now.

Whilst we obviously can't throw money at the calibre of Fernandes like Man Utd can. It goes to show the difference that style of player can make to a side. Being able to bring the ball forward through the middle, use a bit of guile to get others in. Because at the moment, if Traore isn't able to beat 3 men, we don't look like creating anything at all.

Is that down to tactics? I don't know to be honest.

Off the top of my head, Buendia from Norwich, Eze from QPR. Two very realistic options in that position who are talented and likely to improve.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some of you lot are an absolute shambles.

Losing away (in the last minute of injury time might I add) against a top 10 Premier League side, and you all **** your pants. Get a grip lads, and some perspective please... less than 4 years ago we drew 0-0 at home against Ipswich in front of less than 20k. Now we're in Europe, playing in front of full houses, and comfortably top 10 in the Premier League!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom