Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Romain Saïss x 200

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s your duty as a fan to get behind every tackle and positive move from the start, play your part.
Tackle I don't see many of our soft players putting challenges in . That's part of the issue imo . No pressing the opposition and when they cough near them our players do a roll over and expect a foul . meanwhile the opposition are 15 yards up the pitch attacking.

I would be all behind them if they did stick their foot in to get the ball back .

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Protests inside the ground worked for the Vile fans who sang continuously for most the second half against Stevie G…….if they wasn’t so vocal I reckon he might have got one more game……
They was so vocal because they believed the tripe, like some on here that pochettino was waiting in the wings for the mighty Aston villa.....it was delusion, not vocal support

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Are there any ‘outstanding candidates’?

To be fair to Sellars, he has a Masters degree in sporting directorship as well as a distinguished playing career and also coaching experience.
Need more from him, and if his ability to do his job is being limited by Jeff, then more is needed from Jeff.

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Need more from him, and if his ability to do his job is being limited by Jeff, then more is needed from Jeff.
People are criticising his involvement with first team affairs (even though he’s a qualified coach and we’re short of coaches due to sacking them all). I think a lot of people on here want less from him.

I don’t know whether our current structure is the way forward for success or if the current incumbents are outstanding in their roles, I just know we’re in a far better position than we have been for the majority of the 35-years I’ve had a season ticket. I’m not happy with our performances at the moment and we should be doing better. I put that down to Lage though.

Could shi/Sellars have sacked him sooner? Possibly. Although we did achieve a top half finish last season so getting the boot would’ve been harsh.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair to Sellars, he has a Masters degree in sporting directorship as well as a distinguished playing career and also coaching experience.
'Distinguished' ? I recall him as a player being one of those who, whilst on the pitch, offered no discernible end-product.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didnt he get the sack from City because he wasnt producing enough players in his role with the youth team?

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
'Distinguished' ? I recall him as a player being one of those who, whilst on the pitch, offered no discernible end-product.
Played regularly in top flight/2nd tier for Blackburn, Leeds and Newcastle from what I remember. Always seemed a level above us in the 90s. Think he may have had some England U21 caps as well? Dunno.

Admittedly it wasn’t a glittering career by any means but I think a career at top flight clubs who were challenging for trophies is pretty distinguished. Depends on your definition of distinguished, I suppose.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Didnt he get the sack from City because he wasnt producing enough players in his role with the youth team?
From there website
Scott Sellars has left Manchester City by mutual consent with the head of academy coaching having turned down an expanded role within the club's youth set-up.

Sellars, a former Blackburn Rovers and Newcastle United winger, has left due to "organic" change at the club, with his departure a sign of the evolving structure of City's youth policy under Txiki Begiristain, the director of football.

The club are making a sizeable investment in developing their own players, spending more than £100m on a bespoke facility next to the Etihad Stadium. The 80-acre Etihad Campus will house the youth development and first-team training centre. There will be on-site accommodation for 40 young players and a 7,000-seater stadium for their matches.

With Micah Richards the only player to feature regularly at senior level for the club who has risen through the ranks set to leave this summer, City have a 10-year plan to emulate Barcelona, where Lionel Messi, Andres Iniesta and Xavi Hernandez were all home-grown. The Catalan club's youth training centre and stadium is also close to the Camp Nou.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Depends on your definition of distinguished, I suppose.
It does indeed.
Its all very well playing for some big-name clubs, but I'm more interested in what he produced (or didn't) on the pitch.
Same goes for our players.

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It does indeed.
Its all very well playing for some big-name clubs, but I'm more interested in what he produced (or didn't) on the pitch.
Same goes for our players.
I don’t know his stats.
I don’t think his career was underwhelming so I didn’t go for that adjective.

He had a career many footballers would dream of (top flight, u21 caps), I chose ‘distinguished’ without really thinking about it. Successful? Mediocre? Moderately successful? Fruitful? Average? Below average? Dunno really. Just-below the level required to be classed as distinguished?

Anyway, back to Saiss I think the Moroccan Maldini’s career has been more distinguished than Sellars’ due to Romain’s international caps. I look forward to hearing what his revelation about Sellars is.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whats all this guff got to do with Saiss?
Probably because the tweet about Saiss' interview has a video link to Liam Keen saying Sellars is having input on a tactical level during games. Nothing directly to do with Saiss as far as I can work out

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
People are criticising his involvement with first team affairs (even though he’s a qualified coach and we’re short of coaches due to sacking them all). I think a lot of people on here want less from him.

I don’t know whether our current structure is the way forward for success or if the current incumbents are outstanding in their roles, I just know we’re in a far better position than we have been for the majority of the 35-years I’ve had a season ticket. I’m not happy with our performances at the moment and we should be doing better. I put that down to Lage though.

Could shi/Sellars have sacked him sooner? Possibly. Although we did achieve a top half finish last season so getting the boot would’ve been harsh.
We’ve not only been in a far better position than we have for the majority of the last 35 years, but we were also in a position where we had a really strong foundation to build upon to go even further. In my opinion, we will lose our captain in the summer at the latest.

I’m rarely critical of the club, but we shouldn’t be in a position where Sellars is required to be assisting with the first team coaching, it’s his job to ensure that never needs to happen!

It’s become a mess, and our current structure isn’t working.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I’m rarely critical of the club, but we shouldn’t be in a position where Sellars is required to be assisting with the first team coaching, it’s his job to ensure that never needs to happen!
We shouldn’t you are right we should have a coach and backroom staff but we don’t and so Sellars is assisting or standing in for the in game analysist that was Bruno’s brothers role.

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We shouldn’t you are right we should have a coach and backroom staff but we don’t and so Sellars is assisting or standing in for the in game analysist that was Bruno’s brothers role.
The position we find our self in isn’t good enough for me, that’s all I’ll say on it as just noticed what thread we’re on.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree it isn’t ideal, but there was talk that Edwards was interviewed not as the head coach role but for a role in coaching. Perhaps this has highlighted that we need a better set up behind the scenes and can not keep having a clear out.

17miles

Reaction score
Edwards interviewed for the Albion job I believe

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree it isn’t ideal, but there was talk that Edwards was interviewed not as the head coach role but for a role in coaching. Perhaps this has highlighted that we need a better set up behind the scenes and can not keep having a clear out.

Edwards would surely only come if he was the head coach over Davis?

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Edwards would surely only come if he was the head coach over Davis?
But he was interviewed on the basis of us still employing a head coach and Edwards being part of a ‘new’ setup. This wouldn’t be over Davis at this point.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But he was interviewed on the basis of us still employing a head coach and Edwards being part of a ‘new’ setup. This wouldn’t be over Davis at this point.

Agreed but I would have thought when he was interviewed he wouldnt have thought he would be coming in as a coach under an interim head coach who is normally the u18 head coach.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are there any ‘outstanding candidates’?

He failed at city….

They had very few players in England age grade teams compared to those spending significant sums less than city were.

Ignore the nice media quoted pleasantries… he was sacked because they saw the fact the ROI on the academy to make a production line for the rare talent to play at the club but also have good resale value to other clubs around the leagues wasn’t looking like it was going to bare fruit.

How was his playing career distinguished? He never won a trophy of note or got an international cap. He had a decent career playing over 500 times and some in the prem, but let’s not over egg the pudding here

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I suspect the Insights from Saiss will be in relation to his own departure, and maybe Coady as well. Almost certainly will pose more questions about the actions of those making key decisions.

Paddy Wolf

Reaction score
A ‘football man behind the scenes’ was often the demand by supporters for people in these technical roles. Thelwell got stick, he wasn’t enough of a football man. Sellars is undoubtedly a football man but now he gets stick.

As I’ve said on another thread, I don’t know much about his involvement or how good he is in his role. If he’s sub-standard or underperforming and not achieving his professional targets, performance manage him or move him on. If he’s doing what he’s supposed to do then I don’t get what the criticism is about. Other people on here obviously know much more about his remit and performance.
Exactly. Utterly bizarre that people can't see that our current run of form is down to not having a fit striker to finish chances.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve not only been in a far better position than we have for the majority of the last 35 years, but we were also in a position where we had a really strong foundation to build upon to go even further. In my opinion, we will lose our captain in the summer at the latest.

It’s become a mess, and our current structure isn’t working.
So what you are saying is we need to bring in someone like Edwards to help out? You know, just temporarily.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly. Utterly bizarre that people can't see that our current run of form is down to not having a fit striker to finish chances.
And who was in charge of planning that?????

The bloke sheep like you keep apologising for when he is woefully inept at the job he is currently in.

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So what you are saying is we need to bring in someone like Edwards to help out? You know, just temporarily.
We needed to plan better full stop. To answer your question though, that for me would be preferable so that Davies can carry out the task he’s been given, without having hierarchy (Sellars) dabbling in it.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A good striker would have 3-4 goals now maybe?
Certainly help but we'd still be one of the lowest scorers in the division.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What chances?
Off the top of my head, Donk at Spurs, Costa at West Ham, Costa at Palace, MGW against Fulham, Raul at Bournemouth

Not a lot I agree, but really good chances that should have been taken and could have made such a difference

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He failed at city….

They had very few players in England age grade teams compared to those spending significant sums less than city were.

Ignore the nice media quoted pleasantries… he was sacked because they saw the fact the ROI on the academy to make a production line for the rare talent to play at the club but also have good resale value to other clubs around the leagues wasn’t looking like it was going to bare fruit.

How was his playing career distinguished? He never won a trophy of note or got an international cap. He had a decent career playing over 500 times and some in the prem, but let’s not over egg the pudding here
I said earlier that maybe ‘distinguished’ wasn’t the most accurate adjective to describe his footballing career (albeit much more distinguished than the majority of professional footballers who a) don’t play in the top flight b) make 500 professional appearances or c) represent their country at U21 level).

What would you suggest is a more appropriate adjective? Fair? I think top flight appearances for competitive teams lifts him above that. Good? Dunno?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said earlier that maybe ‘distinguished’ wasn’t the most accurate adjective to describe his footballing career (albeit much more distinguished than the majority of professional footballers who a) don’t play in the top flight b) make 500 professional appearances or c) represent their country at U21 level).

What would you suggest is a more appropriate adjective? Fair? I think top flight appearances for competitive teams lifts him above that. Good? Dunno?
I said decent career in my last paragraph, wouldn’t have been cool to slag off the definition you gave without sharing my one.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
anything is better than this?? such short memories people have...

protests in the ground? I reckon 80% of posters on here dont even step foot in there. Incidentally, can someone tell me who should take over this guy's job, or what would make them better qualified? from the little `i know, he was a player and has then done probably more qualifications than most posters ever have, which do in fact make him slightly more than a 'slimy chancer?'

dont know much about him or what he does like i say, but seeing as we have to read through all the crap and calls for a 'football brain' what do other clubs have? who do they employ?

As technical director he should be judged by where we are technically. It’s this plus repeated demonstration of poor work by which he is being judged, and rightly. Any qualifications or lack of mean nothing.

I agree that protests help nobody though. The club needs to find its feet first and then we can hopefully make the changes needed - further instability helps nobody right now, and our 12th man could make all the difference.

Back
Top Bottom