Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Raul Jimenez

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's because Mexico have complained.

United haven't had the issue with Cavani because Uruguay agreed to not call him up and Brazil aren't complaining about their Premier League players.

Surprised Mexico have done it considering we've seemed to have a good relationship with them about Raul in the past.
The difference between Brazil and Mexico is Brazil could field a team of 5th choice never capped before players and be competitive. Raül is Mexico's poster boy.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Obviously missing one game through FIFA's ruling is better than missing two through having to quarantine. Feel for Raúl being stuck in the middle though, no doubt he wants to see his international team mates again and he's a loser in this whatever happens

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm actually of the opinion it would be better for Wolves to let Raül gain match sharpness with Mexico with three games in quick succession than to be drip fed the same number of games with Wolves over the course of a month.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm actually of the opinion it would be better for Wolves to let Raül gain match sharpness with Mexico with three games in quick succession than to be drip fed the same number of games with Wolves over the course of a month.
And then quarantine for 10 days?

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
But then he would have to quarantine when he got back, wouldn't be able to train and miss two matches. Won't do much for his sharpness! However, if Raul would genuinely prefer to play I think we should have let him go.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But then he would have to quarantine when he got back, wouldn't be able to train and miss two matches. Won't do much for his sharpness! However, if Raul would genuinely prefer to play I think we should have let him go.
this is true. What would be better though? training as normal with few games or a burst of games and a long rest? Any Sports Scientists around?

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We should have made the same deal with Mexico that Villa did with Argentina. Let him go for 2 of the 3 games, then comeback and quarantine. He'd still miss the Watford game but at least it would keep both Raul and Mexico happy.

Titch

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We should have made the same deal with Mexico that Villa did with Argentina. Let him go for 2 of the 3 games, then comeback and quarantine. He'd still miss the Watford game but at least it would keep both Raul and Mexico happy.
Although its been reported now that Argentina want them for all 3 games!!

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Raul isn't on form at present anyway so let him go and see if he can improve with Mexico, won't be too damaging to us I feel.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just keep him here and swallow the one-match bans.

He's just suffered a very serious, potentially career-ending head injury and would be better staying put, training and playing in his regular environment than having to board a plane every other day, travel long distances to countries with high COVID statistics, play in 3 games in less than a week and then come back to quarantining in a hotel on his own.

Unfortunately, next month's ban will see him missing the Villa game, but there's no way around it, whatever we do. It's a shame that Mexico have decided to kick up a fuss for qualifiers games that they we surely win in any case.

Last edited:

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rather he misses 5 days due to FIFA bull**** than miss 10 days due to mandatory quarantine on return from Mexico.

We can cope without him for this one match.
I agree re days missed. Not only that but he will also avoid the much higher risk of contracting Covid in a red list country. Definitely the right decision by us although I still think it is wrong that he should miss the Watford game.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Although its been reported now that Argentina want them for all 3 games!!

I'd be shocked if the players allowed that. Interesting one to keep an eye on though.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

BBC picked up on it now. Be interesting if FIFA do enforce a ban, whether the Premier League can go to CAS and argue that the government enforced quarantine means clubs shouldn't be punished.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am more worried that not signing a proper striker has heaped more pressure on him. Hwang may be able to play more centrally but has a poor goal record and at 5ft 10 is no target man. The fact we tried at the last minute to get in the blessed Kieffeer Moore says it all.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

The difference between Brazil and Mexico is Brazil could field a team of 5th choice never capped before players and be competitive. Raül is Mexico's poster boy.
Think you are drastically over estimating how good Brazil are

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Or have a written guarantee that Raul will only play in the first 2 games so he still only misses one game. That said, isolating for 10 days will probably kill any extra sharpness he gained anyway.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

BBC picked up on it now. Be interesting if FIFA do enforce a ban, whether the Premier League can go to CAS and argue that the government enforced quarantine means clubs shouldn't be punished.
Villa and Spurs have sort of stitched us up ain't they. Fifa just going to point at them

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Villa and Spurs have sort of stitched us up ain't they. Fifa just going to point at them

Yep. So much for solidarity. Interesting it's only Argentina that managed to convince the players/clubs, I wonder how they managed it.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Yep. So much for solidarity. Interesting it's only Argentina that managed to convince the players/clubs, I wonder how they managed it.
Sounds like the promise mentioned so they'd only miss one game in isolation. Especially for Martinez a keeper hardly needs to train or have match sharpness do they

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rules are rules. If Wolves and the Mexicans can't come to an agreement then the rules will have to be enforced.

VictorPyrrhic

Groupie
Reaction score
Jimenez needs to realise on what side his bread his buttered. He can easily make himself unavailable with legitimate reasons after such a long lay off.

A lay off we supported him through and continued to pay his substantial wages.

Yes the injury was no fault of his own but in these cirucmstances, Jimenez could help us to avoid the predicament we find ourselves in. He knows full well we require his services for as many matches as possible with only Silva as back-up.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Jimenez needs to realise on what side his bread his buttered. He can easily make himself unavailable with legitimate reasons after such a long lay off.

Yes the injury was no fault of his own but in these cirucmstances, Jimenez could help us to avoid the predicament we find ourselves in. He knows full well we require his services for as many matches as possible with only Silva as back-up.
We have absolutely no leverage over him. He knows he is possibly our most important player, he wants to play for his country so he is going

VictorPyrrhic

Groupie
Reaction score
We have absolutely no leverage over him. He knows he is possibly our most important player, he wants to play for his country so he is going
I've no problem him playing for his country and it's no fault of his own the restrictions that are in place but he can easily help to avoid this situation by communicating with Mexican officials that he considers himself available for all matches but in this particular instance he should not be selected as he regains fitness and form.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I've no problem him playing for his country and it's no fault of his own the restrictions that are in place but he can easily help to avoid this situation by communicating with Mexican officials that he considers himself available for all matches but in this particular instance he should not be selected as he regains fitness and form.
Well he doesn't want to? He wants to play, so why would he do that

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Then he should show more loyalty to us as a club. We need him available for Watford and pay him a considerable sum to be available.
Clubs and players have no loyalty to each other. We rehabbed him because he is a massive player for us. If he'd have retired we might have supported him until he was better but probably not.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Or have a written guarantee that Raul will only play in the first 2 games so he still only misses one game. That said, isolating for 10 days will probably kill any extra sharpness he gained anyway.
True.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Block him from representing Mexico and he will be in a Spurs shirt before the Christmas goose is cooked.

VictorPyrrhic

Groupie
Reaction score
I hope international football ceases to exist ASAP, just a boring annoying distraction to the proper game.
I don't know there are so many things i'd change about the proper game:

-Stop time wasting by the corner flag. Enforce all corners must be directly crossed in to box.
-Once the referee blows for full-time, the game continues until the ball goes out of play or a goal is scored
-A player is awarded a yellow card for kicking the ball out of play when an opponent is 'injured' therefore undermining the referee whom chose to play on
-No more throw-in's. Feet only
-Players get a standard salary based on 3 categories of squad status [1st team, squad, development] and they play for cash with the winning team taking all of the pot per match
-Red cards for cynical fouls
-A red card wherever the fouls occurs incurs a penalty kick for the opposition [red cards are a bizarre concept, they advantage the opposition for upto 90 minutes yet advantage the oppositions rivals for 90 minutes given the carded player is suspended in future matches]
- A team can take a free-kick immediately without waiting for the referee to signal. The fouling player must walk to the side of the pitch closest and await the awarding of a card or be signalled to return to the pitch by the referee. Interfering with play otherwise is a red card.
-If the referee plays advantage, a team can stop play and choose to have the free-kick
-Var is only actioned upon the request of a team. With sin-bin punishments for incorrectly referring to Var
-Retrsopective punishment for fouls/cheating...

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know there are so many things i'd change about the proper game:

-Stop time wasting by the corner flag. Enforce all corners must be directly crossed in to box.
-Once the referee blows for full-time, the game continues until the ball goes out of play or a goal is scored
-A player is awarded a yellow card for kicking the ball out of play when an opponent is 'injured' therefore undermining the referee whom chose to play on
-No more throw-in's. Feet only
-Players get a standard salary based on 3 categories of squad status [1st team, squad, development] and they play for cash with the winning team taking all of the pot per match
-Red cards for cynical fouls
-A red card wherever the fouls occurs incurs a penalty kick for the opposition [red cards are a bizarre concept, they advantage the opposition for upto 90 minutes yet advantage the oppositions rivals for 90 minutes given the carded player is suspended in future matches]
- A team can take a free-kick immediately without waiting for the referee to signal. The fouling player must walk to the side of the pitch closest and await the awarding of a card or be signalled to return to the pitch by the referee. Interfering with play otherwise is a red card.
-If the referee plays advantage, a team can stop play and choose to have the free-kick
-Var is only actioned upon the request of a team. With sin-bin punishments for incorrectly referring to Var
-Retrsopective punishment for fouls/cheating...
Some of these are good.

Others are craaaaaaaazzzzzyyyyyyy

Back
Top Bottom