Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Raul Jimenez

peter&thewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
i thought he did well in the little time he was on, the problem is when he's not playing, we suffer, like today

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
Raul needs to play more centrally and up front, around the penalty area more during a game. If he keeps dropping back into midfield like he likes to do we lose a focal point. He isn't scoring because most of the time he isn't in the right position to score goals.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i thought he did well in the little time he was on, the problem is when he's not playing, we suffer, like today
He looked lively, but chose the wrong option nearly every time he had the ball.

Jury is still out on the basis that we don’t do service to the strikers, but still questions about whether he’s as good as he was.

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He seems to touch the ball one too many times every time he gets it instead of his usual shot on goal or timely pass. There has to be some mental blockage there.

DAMN YOU DAVID LUIZ!

Leigh72

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Play in the penalty area would be a start , he wastes so much time out wide, get in the box and the goals will come

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He looked lively, but chose the wrong option nearly every time he had the ball.

Jury is still out on the basis that we don’t do service to the strikers, but still questions about whether he’s as good as he was.
Unpopular opinion for sure, but I dont think he is anywhere near as good as he was and very much doubt he ever will. The type of trauma he has suffered would have ended the career of any player. Just based on what I've seen of him playing for Wolves and Mexico.

Would love to be proven wrong.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He seems to touch the ball one too many times every time he gets it instead of his usual shot on goal or timely pass. There has to be some mental blockage there.

DAMN YOU DAVID LUIZ!

He wasn't exactly on top form last season before the injury, I'm beginning to think maybe he was in a purple patch and the beneficiary of being our only focal point rather than actually being an elite striker.

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He wasn't exactly on top form last season before the injury, I'm beginning to think maybe he was in a purple patch and the beneficiary of being our only focal point rather than actually being an elite striker.
He was better when he had jota's help.

His goal against Liverpool had nothing to do with being the focal point, amongst many others.

Ian C

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s little to no interplay in a forward direction, here lies the issue.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he was top level (not quite elite, like Aguero, Salah, etc., but level below), but every player, especially strikers need to find the right team to play in, and for those first two years he was in it and it was clicking with those around him. Since season three, we just don't give the front men anywhere near enough of the ball, and ultimately that's why I still hold out hope he just needs service and to get into a run of form to be back where he was. That headband has to be a handicap to his game though, and not just the heading.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Incredibly easy to say he isn't the player he was etc.

But the reality is he has absolutely no one near him most of the time. Yet again, the midfield in particular offer absolutely nothing in this regard. We have no one at all within the squad capable of getting forward with the ball through the middle or supporting the striker in a way a player like James Maddison does (just as an example off the top of my head)

It's the type of player we've lacked for 2-3 seasons and continuously fail to address. Jimenez's game would improve significantly too having that creativity and support around him.

There are very few strikers in world football who would look particularly great in this team given the way we play.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are very few strikers in world football who would look particularly great in this team given the way we play

I agree, could have prime R9 playing and he'd look like a donkey starved of support.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree, could have prime R9 playing and he'd look like a donkey starved of support.

I really noticed it against Southampton. Every time he had the ball there was no one within 30 yards of him. It was only when we started supporting him with runs through the middle that things changed and we got the penalty from exactly that. Before that they were the better team.

It would take one hell of a striker to make the most of constant situations like that, being isolated against at least 2 or 3 defenders with no support whatsoever.

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His goal Vs Liverpool was a header from a pinpoint a cross. The epitome of being the focal point.
I don't see it that way. He ran back to midfield, controlled the ball, passed the ball,got the ball back, ran with it, passed to adama. Should have been other players ahead of him on that play. He put himself in position on that play but shouldn't have needed to. He earned that goal on his own.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't see it that way. He ran back to midfield, controlled the ball, passed the ball,got the ball back, ran with it, passed to adama. Should have been other players ahead of him on that play. He put himself in position on that play but shouldn't have needed to. He earned that goal on his own.

The cross was placed on his head. He was the focal point.

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He shouldn't have been the focal point. He passed up his own teammates while starting the play going away from goal on the other half.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unpopular opinion for sure, but I dont think he is anywhere near as good as he was and very much doubt he ever will. The type of trauma he has suffered would have ended the career of any player. Just based on what I've seen of him playing for Wolves and Mexico.

Would love to be proven wrong.
The more of him I see, the more I agree, and the more I hope I am wrong

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

But the reality is he has absolutely no one near him most of the time. Yet again, the midfield in particular offer absolutely nothing in this regard. We have no one at all within the squad capable of getting forward with the ball through the middle or supporting the striker in a way a player like James Maddison does (just as an example off the top of my head)

It's the type of player we've lacked for 2-3 seasons and continuously fail to address. Jimenez's game would improve significantly too having that creativity and support around him.

There are very few strikers in world football who would look particularly great in this team given the way we play.
Spot on.

How many chances has he missed this season? 1 ? 2?

Our midfield offers no support to the forwards - even more so when we only play 2 ****ing attackers

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spot on.

How many chances has he missed this season? 1 ? 2?

Our midfield offers no support to the forwards - even more so when we only play 2 ****ing attackers

Yep, exactly.

The best of Jimenez has been when he's had a player (Jota) supporting him throughout the game who whilst being up there with him isn't getting in his way with runs but more so creating through the middle and occupying other defenders.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We played exactly that way when he had his purple patch, though. Was always "The Horseshoe of Doom".

If anything, we are playing a bit more through the middle than we ever did under Nuno , in the Premier League, at least. Neves & Moutinho often more central and forward than before. I think it's as much to do with lack of final ball quality from wing backs and wide forwards, compared to Neto & Jota. (and Adama on his rare end product days)

wayne-the-wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think 30k disagree with you by the way his song was sung when he was bought on today

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jota and Jiminez were a fantastic combination. We need another Jota.
Just back in training ;)

IF Neto can get back to his best I think he's the ideal man to support the forward

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've said on here before and the more I think about it Jimenez is the key to where we finish this season. We need him somewhere near back to his best for the run-in and scoring goals. Silva is not ready to shoulder the burden but he will need better support from the mf; Neto coming back will be great but maybe too late to have an impact this season. Jimenez is playing very much like Kane, going back to get involved, but Kane has better players around him, and we need Jimenez as a focal point in the middle - no one else is there! It says where we are that we are relying on 2 players who have had bad injuries to give us hope this season but that is a discussion for another thread!

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Physically he just doesn't look the same. He was so strong pre injury, but he seems to get manhandled now with alarming ease.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

Physically he just doesn't look the same. He was so strong pre injury, but he seems to get manhandled now with alarming ease.
I’m wondering if he’s been told to spend less time in the box (to reduce risk) - he’s in midfield most of the time… but maybe it’s just him looking for the ball…

I remember watching him against Villarreal in the friendly and he flung himself about like a madman and reaches an impossible ball for his goal… it’s not the same now is it?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought he was poor when he came on yesterday and apparently he was poor against Panama apart from the penalty the other day. Worrying that not many of our attackers are looking much of a goal threat at all at present apart from Podence.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sadly I feel Raul is past his best after the inury he suffered, not his fault of course but now someway below where he was. Much respect for him but am Hoping Neto or someone else steps up to the plate next season.

MotorWoden

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has yet to link up with anyone in this side really. In previous teams Jota and Doherty in particular played off him and vice versa. Traore also was involved an awful lot in that second season. When we were on the attack the ball would ping between them and Jimenez was often a beneficiary (not to mention a creator). I dont think he is less of a player but at this mopment in time it isnt really happening, and I suspect he is probably finding it mentally quite hard to do all that donkey work without any real prosepct of getting on the end of something. With the year he has had not that much of a surprise. There are a few signs of improvement but realistically we dont look like scoring much as a team, its not an individual thing. If it all starts to click he will come alive again.

Back
Top Bottom