Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

No penalty

W

wolfkapiti

See my post on other thread,frame by frame see it yourselves.Con artist,cheat is just 2 to describe him.

D

Deleted at own request (WeAreTheWolves)

Couldn’t bear watching last night but that’s never a penalty in a million years.

And yes, I’ve seen Dendoncker say it was a stupid foul but Wolves are clearly told not to get involved in stuff like this as we’ve accepted every decision this season.

Where’s the foul? Donck doesn’t move his feet across him so there’s no trip.

Disgraceful.

M

merseawolf

I was sure I read somewhere last week that the VAR in semi final was to include the crowd in viewing incidents. The penalty and the red card decision that we later found out was the spat between Moutinho and Deloufeu Would of been better to have had the same option of seeing it again like TV viewers. I know they will say it will incite the crowd but it was rubbish just to see and hear VAR is reviewing it

D

Not even gonna read the comments.

I'm devastated about the nature of loss.

It was a penalty.

If you disagree, it's one if two reasons:

You're in denial, or not very clued up on football.

Can you explain how Dendoncker fouls him please.

S

ShropshireLad

Belgian international Dendoncker said at first he didn’t think the challenge was deserving of a penalty.
Michael Oliver pointed to the spot and then consulted with VAR officials who agreed with his decision to penalise Dendoncker.
A heartbroken Dendoncker said he shouldn’t have touched Deeney – but didn't spot him coming.
That doesn't mean that The Donk thought it was a penalty.
Boly publicly said that his sending off was just but he told me privately (I met him on the train going home the week after) that it wasn't even a yellow as the City player ran into him a meter away after he played the ball.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beastier

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The award of the penalty itself was one of those things - on a lot of occasions it might not have been given but yesterday it was.

Whilst we're all hurting and there's maybe consolation in looking for some kind of injustice, the more constructive thing that we should focus on is that - like with the Boly sending off - we have the referee a decision to make in the first place, and that's probably where there was a greater fault than the actual decision.

It was a clumsy challenge at the latter stages of a game from a player who was looking leggy and probably not having his best game anyway - however he's done so well for us since forcing his way into the team and so just accept it was an error on his part (which I'm sure he'll learn from) and move on

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just watched it in slow mo. That was not a foul in my view, just very clever centre forward play from Deeney. There is no way Dendonker deliberately tries to foul him, he went to kick the ball and Deeneys foot arrived milliseconds before it reaches the ball. Deeney goes down like a champ.

To cheer us up, what Nuno says, he means. So when he says we will come again (to Wembley) I truly believe it. That in itself is a massive victory. He's here to stay so ignore all the *******s you will read in the summer.

Karl Price

Groupie
Reaction score
It was penalty that was given not because of what Donk did, but what Deeney did.

A penalty IMO but if the situation was reversed and we were the ones 2-1 down at that point I don’t think any of our players would have done what Deeney did (other than maybe Jota).

And all this about Nuno’s subs - we were minutes away from winning 2-1 when we all would’ve been singing his and the teams (including Donks) praises from the rooftops.

It’s too easy with to criticise after the fact. It was one of those crazy games where if we’d played the last 15 minutes 100 times we’d have won 99.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I don’t know if it has been mentioned but Kenny Hibbitt ‘bought’ a last minute penalty when we were 2-1 down against Spurs at Hillsborough.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Deeney magnifies and makes the most of a slight touch from Dendoncker. Technically their was slight contact and it was enough in the referee's mind to award a pen. VAR could not contradicted the referee as we are not Manchester United.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Next season will be interesting with the current laws and VAR . It's become far to easy for cheating players to win penalties by conning the ref. I think the laws will need a ton of extra clauses to clarify the issues for consistency.

Having now seen it in slowmo, Deeney is clearly falling down before the contact. He's trying to make contact and a penalty. That should not be rewarded. Surely it's exactly what VAR should be clearing up?

Diving is in the increase already and I can see next season being ruined with the current laws and guidelines. You just know that if that was Jota going down in identical situation at Old Trafford, it would be rescinded through VAR.

And the handball situation is worse. Why do you think Dendonker made such a show of keeping his arms in for the first goal? Because he knew, if he dives in and the striker kicks the ball to Donks arm, it's a penalty.

It's a mess, it really is. If the aim is to generate controversy and allow refs the chance to impact matches, it's doing a great job. If the aim is justice and common sense, it's total failure.

D

Deleted member 4099

Next season will be interesting with the current laws and VAR . It's become far to easy for cheating players to win penalties by conning the ref. I think the laws will need a ton of extra clauses to clarify the issues for consistency.

Having now seen it in slowmo, Deeney is clearly falling down before the contact. He's trying to make contact and a penalty. That should not be rewarded. Surely it's exactly what VAR should be clearing up?

Diving is in the increase already and I can see next season being ruined with the current laws and guidelines. You just know that if that was Jota going down in identical situation at Old Trafford, it would be rescinded through VAR.

And the handball situation is worse. Why do you think Dendonker made such a show of keeping his arms in for the first goal? Because he knew, if he dives in and the striker kicks the ball to Donks arm, it's a penalty.

It's a mess, it really is. If the aim is to generate controversy and allow refs the chance to impact matches, it's doing a great job. If the aim is justice and common sense, it's total failure.

I said this to my old man VAR is not for better decision making it’s better controversy. Just what the TV companies and journalists want really.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said this to my old man VAR is not for better decision making it’s better controversy. Just what the TV companies and journalists want really.

Imagine this.... if VAR was at Anfield last game of the season.... Scousers are winning 1-0 ....93 mins on clock....Jiminez clean through, tripped by Van Dyke.... I would absolutely cast iron guarantee that no penalty would be given on the pitch, and the VAR official wouldn't have the *******s to overturn it and award one
Also, if it was 1-1 and Salah was through and collided with Boly.... then the ref would point to the spot straight away, again, the VAR official wouldn;t have the balls to say no penalty
This is only ever going to benefit the big teams to make sure they get all the decisions go their way

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
IT WAS A PENALTY.. and is history now!

Dendoncker will take just as long (If not longer) as us Wolves fans will to get over it :(

On words & upwards from next season and lets get back to Wembley quicker than we did in the passed.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems to me, in current situation, at least in England, that defenders are terrified that if the ball hits their arm, it will be a penalty. And if they have any contact with an attacker, it will be a penalty.

What we need to balance this is to make attackers equally scared of being caught diving. Force them to make effort to stay on their feet instead of collapsing at the slightest glance. There's nothing to lose for them at the moment as the anti diving rules are seldom enforced.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems to me, in current situation, at least in England, that defenders are terrified that if the ball hits their arm, it will be a penalty. And if they have any contact with an attacker, it will be a penalty.

What we need to balance this is to make attackers equally scared of being caught diving. Force them to make effort to stay on their feet instead of collapsing at the slightest glance. There's nothing to lose for them at the moment as the anti diving rules are seldom enforced.

It does seem that over time the amount of contact needed in the box to be deemed a foul is getting less and less, and it doesn't seem to matter if its the defender making the challenge or the attacker making sure they make contact, the latter needs to be treated the same as diving. Very difficult for the ref in real time to get those right sometimes, but that's what VAR should be clearing up. I think the guidance given to refs on how to view some of these types of incidents needs to be looked at and the line moved a little back towards being in favour of the defender.

Whatever happens though there is always going to be that line one side being a foul and a penalty and the other side not, and wherever you draw that line there are always going to be incidents that are right on it and open to interpretation. The best refs and VAR can do is to be consistent, and for VAR to start picking up on the types of incident where the attacker is clearly initiating the contact which is difficult for the ref to spot in real time

Last edited:

Liskeard wolf

Reaction score
I don’t know if it has been mentioned but Kenny Hibbitt ‘bought’ a last minute penalty when we were 2-1 down against Spurs at Hillsborough.
No VAR then. And we still didn't get to the final

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
No VAR then. And we still didn't get to the final
I was just making the point that players will always try and buy a last minute penalty .VAR gives the Referee a opinion but it will never stop players trying .Deeney is experienced enough to know how to instigate a challenge from minimal contact .We see it every week in every league .

Liskeard wolf

Reaction score
I was just making the point that players will always try and buy a last minute penalty .VAR gives the Referee a opinion but it will never stop players trying .Deeney is experienced enough to know how to instigate a challenge from minimal contact .We see it every week in every league .
Yes. You're right Jonzy. But it's still fresh, and hurts at the minute. So we all feel hard done by. Human nature I guess

Lawley Wolf

Reaction score
Its taken me till just now to watch it because i've been so disappointed. and I can't remember if I thought it was a penalty

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It was the only thing Clive Thomas gave us all game. Never heard a ref go off at half time to boos like it. For the first 89 minutes he should have been wearing a Spurs shirt.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was a concocted penalty, with Deeney admitting that he had been looking for a situation like that,
and Gray admitting that Watford had to play "dirty" to retrieve the game. These verbal ticks could
be dismissed as general statements, but psychologically they are giveaways, showing that the
players themselves knew it was gamesmanship pushed to an extreme.

There is a wider problem in that forwards are now, at the elite level, looking to win fouls through staged
falls and contacts. For me, more than anything else it is what most puts me off the game as it is developing now.
Who really wants contests decided by the best theatrical manipulation??

At present, it doesnt seem to be seen as a key issue, and just accepted. I tend to think Nuno should make
more public protests so that the fans know what is going on, and can generate a debate. The other implication
is, of course, that the tactic of penalty area defending in the closing stages of a game is a poor strategy....

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
It was the only thing Clive Thomas gave us all game. Never heard a ref go off at half time to boos like it. For the first 89 minutes he should have been wearing a Spurs shirt.
I remember it well .That penalty and the sight of the Spurs fans clambering over the fences to be seated on the floor area in front of us in the main stand as a prelude to 7 years later have stayed with me since then .

D

Deleted member 5242

Apologies if I have scrolled past it, but any clips of the incident? I was about 4000 meters above see level and could see **** all from the back of block 522!

1965Wolf

I must say I thought that Oliver had his usual good game. Likewise at the time I thought it was a penalty at the time though I was 200 yards away!!

Brizzlewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was in Paddington on Sunday evening on the way back and they showed the goals and penalty on the TV in the pub. I said loudly enough for a bunch of Watford fans nearby to hear "that's a soft penalty, he's bought that, cheat!"..... it was more for my own benefit because I was ****ed off and emotional. The Watford fans didn't respond..... neither would I have, if it had been the other way round. We lost they won and it really doesn't matter if was or wasn't a penalty because we're not going to change it now.

D

Watford 3-2 Wolves: Deulofeu inspires stunning comeback to reach FA Cup final

From 2:45 on the above.

The only time it might look like a penalty is the last angle as it can appear that there is a clash of legs.

However, that is clearly NOT the case as we see clearly from the angle before that Dendoncker doesn't actually challenge at all for the ball.

They make the slightest of contact thigh to thigh but that is in no way a foul and Deeney has already thrown himself.

It's cheating from Deeney and it's actually disgraceful that it stood following a review. It's still the wrong decision from Oliver but it's not the worst thing I've seen because I can see how it looked a penalty.

The issue is with the clowns doing VAR. How they can look at that and say it's a penalty I don't know.

I felt it all happened too quickly at the game and it did, they should've been looking at that for a few minutes and it's clear that it's a dive once you do.

R

RuncornWolf

I'm sure the reason it was given is because the ref gave it in the first place and it wasn't a "clear and obvious error" had he not given it I think it would have been reviewed and his decision upheld. If that was at 35 mins or the game was 0-0 it wouldn't have been given.

The Runner

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The only consolation is that there are Wolves fans in a parallel universe who will have watched Oliver not give the penalty and VAR not find any reason to reverse his decision allowing us to see out the remainder of added time and then beat Man City in the final. There will, of course, be other parallel universes where we lose to Man City in the final.

D

Cheers. Poor defending and a penalty for me. Oh well

can't let the defender get in front/across of you like that, whether we like it or not that's good forward play and something Jota does well.

View attachment 9663

Yeah that's why I can accept that Oliver gave it.

But, if you pause it on 2:55 on the link I put you can see Dendoncker doesn't make contact and his foot actually lands a fair distance behind Deeney's when it plants.

Basically, you're saying it's a foul because Donck's right foot makes contact with Deeney and whilst it looks that way from the picture you've provided it actually doesn't make contact with Deeney, his thigh does at best.

VAR should've cleared that up.

Back
Top Bottom