Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

No penalty

1965Wolf

The question of where Deeney was heading is irrelevant. So long as the ball is in play, the only question is whether there has been an infringement which, if it occurred outside the area, would have resulted in a direct free kick.

Chuck Murray

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
VAR should only be used to confirm facts such as offsides, inside or outside the area over the line etc. not to be used for another opinion. In my opinion.
I'm pretty much in agreement with this. Not even bothered about offsides, to be honest.
Judgment calls are judgment calls.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nice post, Dr., although it wouldn't be Molineux Mix if we weren't moaning about something! Ever since I joined this site, I've consistently read that the establishment hates us, that referees look to punish us, favour the big 6, and that they are biased against us for some reason. We always have to blame someone and that is usually the easiest scapegoat, the ref!
We lost because we weren't good enough, because despite going 2 up, we were unable to repel Watford and eventually one or more of those long balls into the box were going to result in a chance or two. Had we played football and held onto the ball for more than 10 seconds, we would now be looking forwards to a cup final.
Referee Oliver didn't cost us the match, Troy Deeney 'diving' for a penalty didn't cost us the match, VAR not overturning a quite obvious penalty didn't cost us the match and for sure that stupid mask didn't cost us the match. We just weren't good enough over the full game.
We need to learn from Sunday and improve. I'm sure that will happen, however there will still be refereeing decisions that go against us, there will still be players like Deeney going down in the box and VAR is here to stay. Wolves will learn to cope with this, but I'm not sure that the fans on these boards will!
Great post.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I sat exactly in line when Deeney went down.

Penalty all day long for me.Had absolute no hope during the VAR time.

Tarcisio Mifsud

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am still of the opinion on two counts - could not see from where the 4 minutes of extra time came from, when only 2 minutes were enough, and seconded it was never a penalty, the ball was taken by Deeney and he played it incorrectly well before he may have been touched by Den., but the referee went for it and the VAR would not rule it something given by the referee. VAR would only interfere if it does not agree with the referee decision. VAR did not see the player who scored Watford first head butting our Moutinho.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought Deeney made a meal of it. A bit of a soft pen.
Make a meal of it!!!! His performance was so good he should have been on masterchef. He has all the experiience and ingredients to win against those who are a little bit naive or honest. Yes we have to learn how to handle these situations better as there are more Deeneys out there.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It occurred to me that their was a challenge in the champions league game between Man utd and Barca when McTominey went down that had much more contact than the challenge by Dendoncker. No penalty! I was a bit bemused by the different rules that seem to apply in Europe.

S

Snarlingwolf

You know the most excruciatingly frustrating thing about this flipping incident is that if Donck had only gone out another two yards to close Delaflower down, and had not turned his back on the ball and had stood up to it like a man, for their first goal, we would not have put ourselves into the “Battle of the Alamo” mode at the end of the game and had to discuss this soft/harsh/probably correct penalty decision.

We would also be looking forward to a Cup Final at Wembley for the first time since 1960, when I first fell in love with my Wolves........:(

My apologies for this depressing post but I’m still in need of therapy/ counselling. :)

P.S. I don’t want to just point a finger at Donck’s shortcomings......of course, if Jonny could’ve buried one of his two golden chances, if the ref had seen Cav being grabbed around the waist before he rounded their keeper near the end, if Coady could’ve tackled Delaflower with his left foot before the winning goal, if Ruddy had come off his line quicker and closed depths angles down......oh, **** it, at the end of the day Watford played really well, good luck to them!

We’ve just got to let it go now, even me.

Besides, the Champions League Cup is a much bigger cup than the FA Cup, isn’t it? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom