Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Newcastle verdict

D

Deleted member 5910

Some way OTT comments on here. First half poor, second half way, way better. Extremely unlucky not to have won and got, yet again, totally screwed over by VAR. Nuno isn’t and shouldn’t be above criticism, but some of the nonsense on here is downright idiotic and disrespectful.
Probably because our last two opponents have been truly, truly awful and we haven't capitalised? We could have played Saints (who got pumped for 9 on Friday) til midnight and not scored.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can criticise the team you know. Today, happy to get back into it but frankly it was poor that we yet again are having to start playing at 1-0 down.

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For ****s sake everyone. We are settled in mid table. Last 16 league cup, going to villa on Wednesday. Look like we can qualify for Europa League last 32! What does everyone want? Think back 5 years you ........... I'll leave you lot to fill in the blanks.

Neves wolf

Reaction score
I thought we played well. First half was disappointing that we didn’t create much but other than the goal I don’t think Newcastle troubled us much. Second half we kicked on and thought we deserved to win. Also thought the ref was a joke. A slight touch from a wolves player and it was a free kick. A Newcastle player brings one of our players down and waves play on

Last edited:

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just love to see the keyboard managers on here, we simply cant play full pelt for 90 minutes and play 2 games at per week at intensity with the squad that we have.
I will back Nuno 1,000% even though he may get things wrong from time to time.
With regards VAR the shirt pull on Doc in the penalty area, in any other area than the penalty box it is a foul and a booking, so why is it different in the penalty box ?.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never want to see Doc at centre back again. Donck looked far more assured there. Doc is a wing back and big mistake his partnership with Traore wasnt there in the first half as we have seen second half how good it is. Midfield also too deep first half and then again for a short while when we got the equaliser. We need to attack more. We look a far better side when we press teams. We have dangerous players.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just love to see the keyboard managers on here, we simply cant play full pelt for 90 minutes and play 2 games at per week at intensity with the squad that we have.
I will back Nuno 1,000% even though he may get things wrong from time to time.
With regards VAR the shirt pull on Doc in the penalty area, in any other area than the penalty box it is a foul and a booking, so why is it different in the penalty box ?.
Why does every ounce of discussion turn into 'I BACK NUNO GUYS!', eh?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Actually will be interested to see what Jordao can do. He actually looks box to box from the few clips I have seen of him.

W

Wolves in Bucharest

One major difference between Mick and Nuno is that by this stage Mick would have described those most critical of him as Numpties if not worse. This makes the manager the lightening rod for criticism rather the players.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1) Another poor first half. Simply not good enough. I understand this is a defensively minded set up, but how predictable can we be? The left side is ineffective, and with Traore + Doc down the right, it's quite easy to contain the right side knowing nothing will come through the middle.

2) What is the point of VAR if the replay shows the pulling yet no pen given? **** off.

We didn't deserve three points anyways. Another case of playing down to the opposition's level, as has been the case in the Nuno era.
This. When the underdog we are comfortable

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Started well then faded. A poor pass by Jota out of defence led eventually to their goal . Boly would have dealt with the cross.

Newcastle were poor bar a 15 minute patch at end of first half. They were there for the taking in the second half especially aftet Longstaff was sent off but we could only equalise. Should have had that penalty. VAR and the ref a joke.

Overall very disappointing so few shots on goal as usual. Neves and Motinho far too defensive. Why do we have to 'give up' the first half every game?

We need reinforcements and the loss of Boly is a huge blow and will slow down any possibility of improvement. We look like a top 12 team for now not a top six one.
Yes we are not getting beaten but at times the back passing and sideways passing is overdone and boring. Yes 8 games undefeated, we have a decent team but so frustrating we didn't do better in the summer on the transfer front. Leicestetr are now where we should be.
The good news is Traore continues to excel but he should be in the middle of the action in the first half not just the second half

Frustrating.

Gold Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Glad we got a well deserved point, if only we had started with 3 4 3. However, it is a learning curve and Nuno I am pretty sure will have now definitely realised that we need to switch to this. I can understand why he started as he did today, probably wanted to use Doherty to cover for the speed of Saint-Maximin and give him a go at RCB. As it turns out it invited more pressure on us as the balance did not quite work with the midfield.

First 10 minutes were actually impressive, and really apart from that mess which led to that goal, our main problem was that we were just too pedestrian and invited pressure on after their goal.

Second half the switch to RCB for Dendoncker and Doherty to RWB worked and that second half performance was traditional Nuno's Wolves. We pressured them, attacked and really should have got a win from that second half.

However, we are now 8 unbeaten, 11th in the table currently (only lost 2) and we have still managed to pick up points when we have been inconsistent and had injuries occuring.

Think more use of 3 4 3 against teams around us will see more results from our efforts and keep us stable in midtable. Another advantage is that for now, we only have one more European away trip which will benefit us greatly. For 3 5 2 to work against these sort of teams we need a proper number 10, or, as I keep saying, give Neto a go there.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For ****s sake everyone. We are settled in mid table. Last 16 league cup, going to villa on Wednesday. Look like we can qualify for Europa League last 32! What does everyone want? Think back 5 years you ........... I'll leave you lot to fill in the blanks.
It doesn't have to revert to this all the time, its cliche narrative that is old.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's fine margins. If Jota had'nt completely ****ed up a routine clearance down the line and Doc headed into an open goal we would all be over the moon.
Agree but the fine margins are too close to call to base our season on. We should have controlled this game today and walked away with an easy 3 points. We wanted to be fighting with Leicester to break the group at the top. We are miles behind them in terms of managing the opposition, we wouldn't have scored 9 today if Newcastle had started with 2 men.

D

Deleted at own request (WeAreTheWolves)

Why does every ounce of discussion turn into 'I BACK NUNO GUYS!', eh?

It's programmed into certain football fans, they're scared of discussion/opinion.

Genuinely remember the 'I'd listen to Saunders over you, he played for Liverpool/Wales managed at whatever level blah blah'
'I'd listen to Connor over you, he knows the players, knows the club blah blah'

And repeat.

Obviously not putting Nuno in that category but it's how some act.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some better finishing from Jota and Doc would have seen us take all 3 points today.

We appeared sluggish first half but much improved in the second. I think we have to find a way of making sure Adama plays in that more advanced role.

I’m taken aback by the negativity in some of the verdicts. The premier league is tough. Damn tough. Look at how we have struggled in previous years.

8 games unbeaten.

L

Lowveld Wolf

Some better finishing from Jota and Doc would have seen us take all 3 points today.

We appeared sluggish first half but much improved in the second. I think we have to find a way of making sure Adama plays in that more advanced role.

I’m taken aback by the negativity in some of the verdicts. The premier league is tough. Damn tough. Look at how we have struggled in previous years.

8 games unbeaten.
Yeah and moutinho had a great shot if it had gone into the net it would have been a goal.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah and moutinho had a great shot if it had gone into the net it would have been a goal.
Both Jota and Doc’s opportunities were great chances. I can’t recall Moutinho having a chance as good as theirs?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is all true. But we could be doing so much more. We're a top 6 side blowing it by only playing for 45 minutes in games.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know Jonny scored but I can't see what he brings to the team defensively or attacking great finish but looks way way off the pace... U must have watched a different game if you thought he played well
I've been one of Jonny's fiercest critics on here. But the last few games he's been good and today - second half anyway cos that's all I saw - he put himself about a bit, was linking well with Jota (until Nuno crazily took him off) and was in the right spot at the right time for his goal.

Last edited:

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Awful first half display and our formation & tactics were all wrong. It looked like square pegs in round holes with Doc at RCB, Traore at RWB and a narrow defensive 3 man midfield. Much better tactics and display in the 2nd half but definitely a wasted opportunity to win 3 points because Newcastle were absolutely atrocious. It’s frustrating because with the personnel at our disposal playing in the right positions we were clearly the better side. Don’t understand our reluctance to use our most potent weapon in the final third and win the game early on.
Plus add more and more goals on the break later in the game as the oppo look to get back into the game. Nuno playing the game a bit wonky at the mo. We have one hell of a weapon in Adama, ably backed up by Doherty, Jota and Jiminez - a very potent attacking force - alas not fully utilised.

citrus_wolf

Reaction score
Raul looks shattered. He's giving it his all but clearly is running on empty; the lad looks gaunt. Put him on a drip and give him a rest.

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just back in the house. I'll have a read through comments after but initial thoughts.

• Terrible game of football in the first half
  • Their #10 (Saint-Maximin I think) was absolutely unplayable at times
  • Newcastle controlled the game for periods of the first half - and 35 to 45 mins belonged to them - but that was about as good as it got for them.
  • Newcastle offered very little after that and got into an unsustainably deep position midway through the second half
  • No atmosphere from the home fans whatsoever (apart from when they scored)
  • I'd love to see the red card challenge as a replay. He looked completely out of control but bear in mind we were effectively sat on the international space station.
  • The chap next to me made a valid point - you're that high up you can see the passes they should be making. I'd also add that at times it's like watching the 2D view on Football Manager
  • How we didn't win it at the end I'll never know. Absolutely gutted Doherty couldn't make lightning strike twice.
Onwards and upwards

Tipton Wolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Raul gets a rest again midweek and then in 3 weeks. Mexico arent calling him up.

Back
Top Bottom