Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Newcastle verdict

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
2 wins from 10 and 11th in the league so not too bad but could be a lot better if Nuno made better tactical decisions. Starting with the 3-5-2 with Doherty at RCB today was absolutely baffling.

Such a strange decision all round. Was obvious Traore and Doherty should have been in tandem on the right. They’re developing a really good understanding together.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Completely dominated the second half. 2 points lost

oldgold4ever

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Awful first half display and our formation & tactics were all wrong. It looked like square pegs in round holes with Doc at RCB, Traore at RWB and a narrow defensive 3 man midfield. Much better tactics and display in the 2nd half but definitely a wasted opportunity to win 3 points because Newcastle were absolutely atrocious. It’s frustrating because with the personnel at our disposal playing in the right positions we were clearly the better side. Don’t understand our reluctance to use our most potent weapon in the final third and win the game early on.

Antonline1987

Groupie
Reaction score
People expect too much from Wolves. We can't play full tilt Thursday-Sunday each week. There's a pattern where we're conserving energy playing more defensively first half then push in the 2nd. We created more than enough chances to win that game. Look how tired we looked at the end, no chance we could play like that for the full 90mins playing twice a week imo. Not with the small squad we have anyway.
Well who's faults that it's not like they didn't know they were in the europa league and have time to prepare for it

D

Deleted member 4453

Will also add Doc at the end.... :rolleyes: can you imagine...

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some way OTT comments on here. First half poor, second half way, way better. Extremely unlucky not to have won and got, yet again, totally screwed over by VAR.

Back 3 of Donk, Saiss and Coady I think will work quite well for us. We don’t need defenders in the traditional sense of the word. It’s all about the system and formation, and then playing out from the back.

We were a missed chance and a joke of a VAR decision from 3 points.

Nuno isn’t and shouldn’t be above criticism, but some of the nonsense on here is downright idiotic and disrespectful.

Millsywolf22

Groupie
Reaction score
We should be expecting more from nevez, poor again today nevez has hardly played the in europa and you would think with the rest he would be ticking everything over through the middle... Far too deep nuno....

D

Deleted at own request (WeAreTheWolves)

Pretty incredible how negative Nuno still is.

It's not a formation/personnel/style etc. problem, it's purely that we are so ****ing boring and scared.

Why are we waiting until we're losing to play with intensity?

Three games in past week and we act as though we're playing Barcelona.

Two points dropped, frustrating.

jeb01

Reaction score
Two more points lost there.
Looked very lacklustre in the first half against a poor Newcastle side who will do well to stay in this League. That’s becoming too much of a familiar story.
Much better second half but overall an way win slips through our fingers.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont mind a defensive first half but the play was so sloppy and casual. That goal they scored was obvious during the build up after jotas weak lazy pass. Newcastle are about as poor as it gets in this division as are southampton. We Threw 4 points away in the last two games and almost lost 6. The ****ing european nonsense has not helped but the main problem is us playing for only 45 minutes each match

JuliusCaesar

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So let me get this right, we have to tolerate the fact that VAR means nobody can ever 'properly' celebrate a goal ever again, that a goal can be ruled out when it rolls off an attacker's arm in the build up.... but when someone looks at a review and sees a player's shirt being pulled off his back in the area it's NOT a penalty?

Nah. **** it. Football is **** now. Can't even be ***** with it any more.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought we were unlucky that our dominant 2nd half didn't pay off with more than one goal. The good play Newcastle did have in the first half was totally nulafied in the 2nd. Honestly I'm shocked at the negative reaction on here. Some of you lot seem quite happy to lap up the Man City win but disappointed when it wouldn't quite fall for us today. We simply cannot go full pelt for 90 like we did against city every match.

D

Deleted member 4453

Imagine if they'd actually shown Wolves fans the replay of the VAR decision.

I just took that it wasn't. Shows how it's needed to be shown, but this ain't rugby.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shows how far we’ve come that we’re disappointed in not taking all 3 points away at an established Prem team.

Still think we should’ve gone with 3-4-3 from the off but happy with the end result

L

Lowveld Wolf

I thought we were unlucky that our dominant 2nd half didn't pay off with more than one goal. The good play Newcastle did have in the first half was totally nulafied in the 2nd. Honestly I'm shocked at the negative reaction on here. Some of you lot seem quite happy to lap up the Man City win but disappointed when it wouldn't quite fall for us today. We simply cannot go full pelt for 90 like we did against city every match.
I'm happy to 'lap up' the Man City result and also able to differentiate between a good display which that was and a ****-poor display which I have seen in the majority of league games this season.

W

Wolves in Bucharest

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Europe appears to take priority this season and Nuno has to plan appropriately. I expect playing Matt at center half served two purposes -can he play in this position? It is less energy sapping than his normal position as primarily about reading the game and being more static. Boly though is a major loss. I feel Kilman May get some runs but more likely in European football at this stage. We need Ryan back ASAP.

D

Deleted member 5276

A disappointment but we must remember what is being asked of our team. We will learn. We will make adjustments. We will do better.

So, with that said, the first 10 to 15 mins looked like we set out to play at a higher tempo and Newcastle looked scared. Then Jota received a knock and we seemed to switch off and allow Newcastle to gain confidence. They fully deserved their goal as it had been coming a while. It was just a matter of whether we could get to half time without more damage being inflicted but the Toon aren't that good and had no real bite.

Evidence of that came in the second half as we totally dominated. 57% possession eventually led to our goal and we can only wonder "what if" if we had taken our chances to win the game. The penalty at the end could have gone either way and was something of a red herring as we should have put this game away long before.

Patrício - hard to mark him really as he had next to nothing to do. No chance with the goal and he was well beaten with a shot from outside the box in the second half that went past the post.
Doherty - bit more mobile from Matt today and should have scored the winner but glanced his header wide. 7.5
Coady - usual Coady performance. Marshaled the defence well ...did his job. 7
Saïss - Decent performance but really needs to work on his distribution as it's sloppy at times. 7
Traore - Another defence absolutely terrified of what he can do but we really must find away to get more men in the box to convert. 8
Dendoncker - Better balance when he switched to the back three in the second half. Tried a few runs first half but Neves couldn't deliver the critical pass. 7
Neves - Just not himself at the moment but did some good defensive work. If anyone ever wondered why he hasn't joined a really top club, then it was all there to see today. 6.5
Moutinho - Below par today and too defensive minded. 6.5
Jonny - Off form and not looking like the player we know he can be. Took his goal well but that was about it. 6
Jota - Usual hustle and bustle but lacking in quality. Made some decent runs but no end product. 6.5
Jiménez - Just not at the races and lacking in ideas. His work rate appears to be down but hard to tell from TV. Has hardly had a break in the last 15 months so understandable. 6
Vinagre - A game crying out for his introduction long before he got the nod from Nuno. Nice little cameo but not enough time for the young man to make a real impact. 7
Neto - OK run out but a guy really needing more games under his belt before we start to see his quality. It's there, just needs the confidence to bring it out. 6.5

Nuno - clearly instructed the team to play at a higher tempo to open the game but failed to change things quickly enough when we were 1-0 down. Tactically, I thought the team he picked was bang on but he has to forget about the FA Cup semi and change things faster. He seems reluctant ever since that game. 6.5

L

Lowveld Wolf

Some way OTT comments on here. First half poor, second half way, way better. Extremely unlucky not to have won and got, yet again, totally screwed over by VAR.

Back 3 of Donk, Saiss and Coady I think will work quite well for us. We don’t need defenders in the traditional sense of the word. It’s all about the system and formation, and then playing out from the back.

Nuno isn’t and shouldn’t be above criticism, but some of the nonsense on here is downright idiotic and disrespectful.
Yep, you're right. All var that we have won only two in ten league games this season. Probably the refs fault as well . Our players and Nuno shouldn't be held to account for any deficiencies.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Questions need to be asked as to why time and time again we have to concede in order to fully motivate ourselves. If memory serves, in the league, we've only led once so far and that was against rock bottom Watford.

We shouldn't have to keep doing this because once we do start, we are so much better than the opposition it becomes painful to see that weve conceded so cheaply.

Is it Nuno's tactics? Is it the players? God knows but regardless of the result today was absolute pap.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep, you're right. All var that we have won only two in ten league games this season. Probably the refs fault as well . Our players and Nuno shouldn't be held to account for any deficiencies.
Our players and Nuno are the very reason we are watching our club win in Europe and then why we are disappointed at only getting a point away in Newcastle.

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm happy. I do trust Nuno more than any other manager I've ever seen at Wolves, especially in this day and age. Long may he stay with us. Let us not forget he lost Boly only yesterday. How anyone can slag him off is beyond me.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Poor first half but second half we hammered them, should really have won. Need to start games how we finish them!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought we were unlucky that our dominant 2nd half didn't pay off with more than one goal.

The thing with football is that each half counts equally. They could say the same about the first half where their dominance could have produced more. Overall, we edged it, I'd say. But not by a convincing enough margin to win it. We'll play better and lose.

D

Deleted member 5635

Great to see the forum are right behind the lad's again...................
If they are behind them or not, it’s a forum so won’t make the slightest bit of difference on the pitch unless Nuno and his team are telling them how posters feel. Why would they care anyway tbf

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
2 points dropped? **** off ... every point away in the premier is a point gained ... don’t forget where you’ve come from

This is just simplistic nonsense.

We've come from 7th last season. But the more significant factor when stating the dropping of points is the actual, and more relevant, ****ing situation with the quality of opposition and the reality of how the game was or needed to be.

When something is so clearly there for the taking let's just be allowed to be validly dejected that it wasn't.

Reactions: Ian

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Souness made the point on Sky that yet again the Ref did not go over and look on the pitch side screen and review it himself.

Wolf in Wednesbury

Reaction score
This is just simplistic nonsense.

We've come from 7th last season. But the more significant factor when stating the dropping of points is the actual, and more relevant, ****ing situation with the quality of opposition and the reality of how the game was or needed to be.

When something is so clearly there for the taking let's just be allowed to be validly dejected that it wasn't.

Load of *******s ... man up

Back
Top Bottom