Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Newcastle (A) verdict

Mancwolf56

Groupie
Reaction score
What???

the club is around a 100 million in profit in player trading this season. Even with the payoff for Lopetegui and gang, there must still be a very healthy surolus.
Do you have a financial background by any chance? I assume you realise that on a rolling 3 year basis our profit from 2020/21 drops out of the equation and we’re talking overall revenue and expenses not just total proceeds from player sales which does not equate to revenue in the 2023/24 financial accounts

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Today showed that when it comes to planning and building the squad over the last few seasons, Jeff has failed the manager and fans for years!

Too few options and leaving us with hwang and Neto to survive when both have troublesome fitness records was brain dead!

I called it at the end of the window and booom….. proven right!

We literally weakened the squad up to rely on injury prone players and too small a squad in an age where the games are longer due to the stop start nature and long added time periods.

Jeff seems to love to handicap our managers…..
Zzzzzzz

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do you mean PSG? As PSR is a financial policy. Mendes? Wasn't he he active in our transfers a few years ago?
We are safe in the league 100%
Prioritise the cup
Fulham in good form, do we need more injuries?

PSR means we will sell someone each season for the foreseeable. Next season looks like Neto. Guess who is his agent? Mr Mendes. The wheels have come off our season. Not much we can do about it without our best players.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Prioritise the cup

PSR means we will sell someone each season for the foreseeable. Next season looks like Neto. Guess who is his agent? Mr Mendes. The wheels have come off our season. Not much we can do about it without our best players.
We are 10th in the PL and still in the FA Cup. To label that the wheels coming off our season is, frankly, perverse. Particularly considering expectations as the season started.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How did Fraser and Chirewa do when the came on. I did see Fraser have a shot tipped round the post on the highlights.

Although Chirewa stands out at under 23s with his size and skill, I have never thought he is fast enough for the prem, how did he look when he came on?

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Prioritise the cup

We’ve just won three games on the trot.losing one game doesn’t mean the wheels have come off. Even Man City lose now and then. We are top half of the table in the quarters finals of the cup

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Reading the comments of both Howe and O'Neil have given some perspective

I think Howe knew if they sat in a little, we'd really struggle to hurt them.

They left Gordon and Isak high and looked to get the ball to them quickly. Both goals in first half came from a quick move like this. Both a little lucky on the finish. Last goal was a bit of comedy but it was injury time so game gone

Not our day. Week off, hopefully Neto is okay and Gary can figure out a system for Fuham.

PSR is hurting us. We're not allowed to compete at the top end. Everyone gets injuries but our smaller squad means we can't cope.

Madmalc

Reaction score
No one else has mentioned it but GON naming Wesley Okudowa at 15 on the bench may have been making a point.

Interesting that he was also down as a striker as everywhere else I've read about him says he's a defender..

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
No one else has mentioned it but GON naming Wesley Okudowa at 15 on the bench may have been making a point.

Interesting that he was also down as a striker as everywhere else I've read about him says he's a defender..
He’s a defender

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was a good time for them to play us!!

It was also a good time for us to play them …. alas we were so depleted!!

This will probably kick start their season again.

Wolf in the sun

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
never a 3 nil, we had plenty of chances to score, their keeper has a blinder...as usual... but this sort of game was always coming

we competed well but now the injuries are hurting us with the lack of depth

i would have given mini lemina a run today in the last few mins, we get some pace back and nothing to lose

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

What purpose would it serve 'making a point"....we can't bring anybody in ...

Much more likely the kid has impressed and they are rewarding him or maybe he is getting attention from elsewhere and they are trying to make him feel special....

Granted I agree it's strange he was on the bench..only strange in the sense of there are probably kids higher up in the current pecking order....

Last edited:

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite similar to the West Ham game really, where we had a virus going through the squad.

Our squad is so small we can't really withstand more than one or two key injuries at most. Yesterday, we had 3.

We all knew this was a risk after not signing anyone in January.

DJLWolf

Reaction score
Thought that might happen yesterday.The lads aren't superhuman and were going to come unstuck at some point.The physical demands of this league can catch you up at times and there simply wasn't enough recovery time after a huge effort on Wednesday for a very small squad.

On to the next one.

Wisdomwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
What purpose would it serve 'making a point"....we can't bring anybody in ...

Much more likely the kid has impressed and they are rewarding him or maybe he is getting attention from elsewhere and they are trying to make him feel special....

Granted I agree it's strange he was on the bench...
Wasn’t going to be but last minute Joao Gomes didn’t feel right so the lad got named on the bench. It’s also a way of showing the best young players we have a pathway into the senior team to avert them going elsewhere. @giantwolf and @JOS are better placed, but generally word has it that he’s a special talent, as are Rawlinson, Ballard-Matthews who are the same age?

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yesterday was perhaps the first time in my 35 years or so of supporting Wolves, that we had a player on the bench i’d never actually heard of. Says something about our squad depth I guess?

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Wasn’t going to be but last minute Joao Gomes didn’t feel right so the lad got named on the bench. It’s also a way of showing the best young players we have a pathway into the senior team to avert them going elsewhere. @giantwolf and @JOS are better placed, but generally word has it that he’s a special talent, as are Rawlinson, Ballard-Matthews who are the same age?
Exactly this. Such a good experience to be involved for the kids. He named Emilio Ballard-Matthews in the Blackpool squad who was 15 at the time.

fleck1

Reaction score
Swings and roundabouts we want a cup run so unfortunately these tough weeks come along. Obviously operating a small squad at the moment due to past mistakes, but it seems we are using this season to right our wrongs financially and rightly sticking to the rules (however unfair we feel they are). I'm sure the lads will be back in for some recovery work today and then a couple of days off to recharge ahead of Fulham. Gomes, Neto and Sa seem more precaution than anything else with Cunha and Hwangs injuries. With only two game in the next 14 days all being well against Fulham we have enough to get through to the international break and to get past Coventry and then Cunha and Hwang are due to be close to a return. A disappointing afternoon but plenty to look forward to

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes agree...there was more to it...

It wasn't O'Neil sending a message....

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just interested how you know with such certainty what the financials will show for 2023/24?
Because they told us we will be within PSR by £2.7m if the worst case scenario plays out which is us finishing 17th.

We won’t finish 17th. So we’ll be a lot better off.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How did Fraser and Chirewa do when the came on. I did see Fraser have a shot tipped round the post on the highlights.

Although Chirewa stands out at under 23s with his size and skill, I have never thought he is fast enough for the prem, how did he look when he came on?

Fraser had one good shot and put himself about but also lost the ball quite easily a few times.

Chirewa only had 10 minutes and the game felt done even though it was only 2-0.

I do find it odd that we’re putting a 15-y/o defender on the bench. Surely a youngster who can play in attack should be involved because they actually might be needed.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are slightly stuck at the minute... financially we didn't have a lot of wiggle room but also can we play the way we do under O'Neil , full pelt , all action which is admirable, I'm not dishing it.....all the pressing , hitting the box , covering the ground etc etc etc will inevitably take it's tole on midfielders and forward especially when you are short on numbers ...and they will start breaking down ....

In hindsight the thing to do yesterday was probably pick a second string team , rest a few and try and grind out a 0-0.....but you can't fault O'Neil for picking his strongest team and going for it...but in reality that team probably wasn't fit enough to do that...

Last edited:

Slothmonkey

Reaction score
Watching the highlights back, I did not realise that it looked as of Dawson was man marking Isak. He seemed to follow him where ever he went. Evident on both goals. First goal he went with Isak originally. Toti,Doyle etc slow to get back. When Toti got back he went out to block the shot from Bruno.

No idea why they decided so late to swap men. If Toti just matched Bruno G's run then he could of sniffed it out.

For second Dawson followed Isak out into the midfield when he received the ball initially and this created the space in which the ball went into. Unfortunate for Sa that Kilman got in the way. Third goal as I said before was laughable.

The first two looking at them could of been sniffed out and it seemed to bore from confusion of who was meant to have who. Dawson being glued to Isak when would of been better served passing the man sooner. Is this a negative of the fluid 5/4?

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It felt like something changed after about 20-25 minutes, it wasn’t just the goal.

We had been knocking the ball about well and in total control as we always had a spare man it seemed.

Then Newcastle changed their press and we couldn’t do much as we couldn’t go long or over the top. So we were suffocated.

3-0 was a bit harsh but it was also a stroll for Newcastle in the end.

I think O’Neil got a few things wrong as the first goal simply can’t happen tactically.

Thank you Sir Jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do you have a financial background by any chance? I assume you realise that on a rolling 3 year basis our profit from 2020/21 drops out of the equation and we’re talking overall revenue and expenses not just total proceeds from player sales which does not equate to revenue in the 2023/24 financial accounts
His iPad isn't running properly.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because they told us we will be within PSR by £2.7m if the worst case scenario plays out which is us finishing 17th.

We won’t finish 17th. So we’ll be a lot better off.
No one knew that we wouldn't finish 17th. In fact, many, probably you included, thought we would finish 18th or lower. Hindsight is a marvellous thing

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I dont think GON needed or wanted to make any points. Okudowa is a talented kid, an England player, we didn't have many options and it was a good opportunity for him to travel with the first team. All part of his development.

Last edited:

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve just won three games on the trot.losing one game doesn’t mean the wheels have come off. Even Man City lose now and then. We are top half of the table in the quarters finals of the cup
Incredible, isn't it. We lose our first away match since December 17th and the wheels are falling off.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In January?
In January they can't assume that we will finish in the top 10, anything could have happened.
They will budget for a worst case scenario. You can't spend money that you don't have in the hope that you will cover it by achieving a higher league position than was expected.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
In January they can't assume that we will finish in the top 10, anything could have happened.
They will budget for a worst case scenario. You can't spend money that you don't have in the hope that you will cover it by achieving a higher league position than was expected.
But when people talk about this season having £2m headroom and that was all we could spend on a striker they must be making assumptions about income in the second half of the season. So they are basing it on a certain finish and FA Cup performance. Fair enough, play safe, assume 15th and get knocked out in the next round, but if we finish 10th and make an FA Cup semi we will be probably £12m better off.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In terms on injuries the wheels have come off really can we afford to pick up any more injuries? We’re safe let’s go for the cup

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can you have another go at formulating that question in a more intelligble way?

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is an element of risk, but that has to be set against the possible rewards.

It also has to be set against the huge surplus in player trading this season, plus the major reduction of high end salaries involved.

It also has to be set against the relatively large number of highly valued assets, the club has in the current squad.

Finance adn competitiveness are closely intertwined in the Premier league, it is impossible to simply be conservative and hope to
succeed. Mid-range clubs like Wolves have to go through cycles of investment and shorter cycles of investment to maintain competitiveness. This season's surplus should have allowed for some investment this January, and that appears to be the bottom
line. As was pointed out at the time, the failure to do this could scupper a period of tremendous opportunity.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d be sacking the mechanics, the amount of times our wheels have fallen off this year.
Wheels Fall Off F1 GIF - Wheels Fall Off F1 Formula One ...

Back
Top Bottom