Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Newcastle (A) verdict

Milijas

Reaction score
People still blaming Jeff and fosun..
Lack of forward options, they have invested plenty £65m on Silva cutrone and kaladzic
Who's fault is it they weren't good enough.. Nuno, Bruno, scouting team, Hobbs or the players themselves perhaps?
****ing change the record.

Last edited by a moderator:

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2HY.gif

#sadfleck…….

Madmalc

Reaction score
It could have been worse.
They didn't play us off the park.
This was always going to be a year of rebuilding, we expected this year to be fighting relegation, hoping to do better next.
We've started the upward trajectory earlier than expected.
That's all down to the squad and GON.

Let's hope the coming week sees some fitness and fatigue recovery.

loppers86

Reaction score
People still blaming Jeff and fosun..
Lack of forward options, they have invested plenty £65m on Silva cutrone and kaladzic
Who's fault is it they weren't good enough.. Nuno, Bruno, scouting team, Hobbs or the players themselves perhaps?
****ing change the record.
silva and cutrone 100 shi. former because he actually scouted and bought him. the latter because he dragged his feet and caused a panic buy.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think when GON wins a couple it goes to his head a bit, he goes all over the media and then is too naive in the next game believing his own hype. We clearly had very tired players so should have sat deep and counter attacked today...instead we rather ridicuously attacked them and got hit on the counter attack! until our legs went on about 30mins!!

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think when GON wins a couple it goes to his head a bit, he goes all over the media and then is too naive in the next game believing his own hype. We clearly had very tired players so should have sat deep and counter attacked today...instead we rather ridicuously attacked them and got hit on the counter attack! until our legs went on about 30mins!!
Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

geowolf

Reaction score
Yeah disappointing day but still feeling very positive about the week – league safety and FA Cup. The Sun-Wed-Sat week really killed us against NU who’d had a Sat-Tue-Sat routine and have a lot more squad depth. We played well in parts and were certainly competitive. Concentration lapses. Only 2 matches now in the next 28days so a chance for physical and mental recuperation – and if we could beat Fulham next week good chance we’ll be back in 8th.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Well that was a weird game. There was nothing between the teams yet we lost 3-0. I didn't have high expectations before the game due to our injuries and tiredness, especially after I found Gomes was out. However, after the game started it looked like we were more than a match for Newcastle, they looked very poor. So many ifs and buts. If Neto had scored when he wriggled through early on, if we'd converted one of our chances when we got to the byline in the six yard box a few times, if the ball hadn't ricocheted off Kilman's chest for their first goal etc. We could have won it. Bad defending for the second goal and I lost all hope of a comeback after Neto didn't come back out for the second half. The main frustration for me was that I thought if we'd sat back a little early on, Newcastle were never going to score. They caught us out on the break. That's the game we play well and they caught us out at it, and wouldn't have gone ahead otherwise.

We really miss our front three, no cutting edge, but we still carved out a few chances in the second half and controlled the game despite fielding some kids. I think we sometimes are not brave enough to play risky balls that could create chances. However, without Cunha, Hwang and Neto, it's a big ask. Thought the squad members and youngsters who came on during the second half held their own.

Despite the result, I had a good day and met some great people. Met @berwickwolf for the first time and had a pre-match pint with him, then had a chance to shake Manny's hand and had a quick chat with him when arrived, caught up with @Dazzling Dave again. Also sat next to a great bloke who was spending the night in North Shields before travelling home tomorrow. We even managed to have an in-depth chat about the 1984 miner's strike during shouting and singing. Meeting people on Wolves days out always makes a match day experience much better. Hope everyone who had a long journey home had a safe one, it is a journey I am very familiar with and very hard going after a defeat. Up the Wolves!

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No squad dept at all. Cunha, Hwang and probably Neto out for the next game alongside Gomes. Very poor financial management of the playing side by the inexperienced Jeff shi. Just a pity we didn’t have Matt Hobbs in for the last 4 years.

He has to freshen it up a bit next game the players looked goosed today.

He must not fancy young Lemina either pity.

Myself and the wife travelling over from Ireland for Fulham next week, here’s hoping. For 3 points. Hard to see it after today’s showing.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No squad dept at all. Cunha, Hwang and probably Neto out for the next game alongside Gomes. Very poor financial management of the playing side by the inexperienced Jeff shi. Just a pity we didn’t have Matt Hobbs in for the last 4 years.

He has to freshen it up a bit next game the players looked goosed today.

He must not fancy young Lemina either pity.

Myself and the wife travelling over from Ireland for Fulham next week, here’s hoping. For 3 points. Hard to see it after today’s showing.
Lemina barely played in Serie B, so lets perhaps trust the manager here.

Have a good trip over.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Well that was a weird game. There was nothing between the teams yet we lost 3-0. I didn't have high expectations before the game due to our injuries and tiredness, especially after I found Gomes was out. However, after the game started it looked like we were more than a match for Newcastle, they looked very poor. So many ifs and buts. If Neto had scored when he wriggled through early on, if we'd converted one of our chances when we got to the byline in the six yard box a few times, if the ball hadn't ricocheted off Kilman's chest for their first goal etc. We could have won it. Bad defending for the second goal and I lost all hope of a comeback after Neto didn't come back out for the second half. The main frustration for me was that I thought if we'd sat back a little early on, Newcastle were never going to score. They caught us out on the break. That's the game we play well and they caught us out at it, and wouldn't have gone ahead otherwise.

We really miss our front three, no cutting edge, but we still carved out a few chances in the second half and controlled the game despite fielding some kids. I think we sometimes are not brave enough to play risky balls that could create chances. However, without Cunha, Hwang and Neto, it's a big ask. Thought the squad members and youngsters who came on during the second half held their own.

Despite the result, I had a good day and met some great people. Met @berwickwolf for the first time and had a pre-match pint with him, then had a chance to shake Manny's hand and had a quick chat with him when arrived, caught up with @Dazzling Dave again. Also sat next to a great bloke who was spending the night in North Shields before travelling home tomorrow. We even managed to have an in-depth chat about the 1984 miner's strike during shouting and singing. Meeting people on Wolves days out always makes a match day experience much better. Hope everyone who had a long journey home had a safe one, it is a journey I am very familiar with and very hard going after a defeat. Up the Wolves!
Now that’s a meet up I’d like to have joined. Two people on the Mix I have a lot of time for.

Thank you Sir Jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Great report. Great attitude.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Now that’s a meet up I’d like to have joined. Two people on the Mix I have a lot of time for.
You're always more than welcome if you make to a game sometime. I'll even buy you a packet of crisps.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

'We really miss out front three' from the poster who really went in on those who criticised the transfer window.

At least you had a good day though.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tired team small squad injury threatened no gomes bite in midfield it was inevitable probably the right one to lose and now galvansive for Fulham at home which is an important game to win before Coventry

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
'We really miss out front three' from the poster who really went in on those who criticised the transfer window.

Well any team who misses out on their front three starters is going to struggle and I'm not sure any new January signings would have made up for that. It's a bit of freaky bad luck that you can't always plan for and having seen last year's accounts that were published today, I totally understand why we're not splashing the cash on players we're unsure about or who will just be squad fillers. I will concede that maybe Sasa could have been useful in a day like today (Fabio not so much) but then again, he might have injured himself for us too. Still, retrospectively, maybe we should have kept hold of him until we had a replacement. Still very happy with this season and I've never thought Europe was a realistic proposition. So save any money we have for a properly planned summer.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well any team who misses out on their front three starters is going to struggle and I'm not sure any new January signings would have made up for that. It's a bit of freaky bad luck that you can't always plan for and having seen last year's accounts that were published today, I totally understand why we're not splashing the cash on players we're unsure about or who will just be squad fillers. I will concede that maybe Sasa could have been useful in a day like today (Fabio not so much) but then again, he might have injured himself for us too. Still, retrospectively, maybe we should have kept hold of him until we had a replacement. Still very happy with this season and I've never thought Europe was a realistic proposition. So save any money we have for a properly planned summer.

You didn't want a sensible discussion a few weeks ago, now look :D

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just repeating myself. I said the same then. Glad you feel you have had a gotcha moment. I'm happy for you. As I said last time...

Jim Halpert Reaction GIF
No gotcha at all.

Typical you resort to this. Read back your posts, you had no desire to speak reasonably to people. You haven't here, again. But at least you had a good day and put a meme in. Bravo.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can’t take any risks with Neto’s or Gomes’ hamstring next week.

Probably looking at something like:

Bentley
Kilman, Bueno, Toti
Semedo, Doyle, Lemina, Traore, RAN/H Bueno
Sarabia, Fraser/Bellegarde
Sa will be back, but regardless, we have enough to beat Coventry. Really like to see Fraser lead up top.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Off the top of my head we ended up £2.2m under the limit. So literally less than £50k per week, without any additional fees.

No one at that price improved us.
Not sure where got the 2.2m from.

The three previous seasons show a net loss of approx 95m. With exclusions for FFP, this means Wolves were safely
within the allowable loss limits.

For this season, Wolves are operating at a significant profit with a lowered wage bill and a large surplus on player trading.

So there should have been significant sums available for this January transfer window, (113m minus this season's profit).

There will be more scope next season, that is true, but as far as the figures tell us, there should have been ample scope to
back Oneil.

No doubt it was difficult to find the right player at a decent price, but sums should have been available.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What I would say is for everyone who says just focus on the cup, that's a dangerous mentality. Momentum is a big thing in football and a lot of our good form is because we have positive momentum behind us. That can be reversed as well, losing games can become a habit just like winning.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Such a weird day to go this route on the day accounts released showing we had no wiggle room.

Once again, strangely more active when a defeat occurs, must live for it.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Such a weird day to go this route on the day accounts released showing we had no wiggle room.

They don't show that at all.

They show we're on course to have around £15m 'wriggle room'. Obviously, with how amortisation works that would leave us open to spend significantly if we really wanted to push it to the limit.

We shouldn't push it to the limit though. Nevertheless, we should easily have been able to bring in one or two players without much fuss.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What I would say is for everyone who says just focus on the cup, that's a dangerous mentality. Momentum is a big thing in football and a lot of our good form is because we have positive momentum behind us. That can be reversed as well, losing games can become a habit just like winning.
Massively agree. If we go into Coventry with poor form and a couple of injuries we will lose.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

They show we're on course to have around £15m 'wriggle room'. Obviously, with how amortisation works that would leave us open to spend significantly if we really wanted to push it to the limit.

We shouldn't push it to the limit though. Nevertheless, we should easily have been able to bring in one or two players without much fuss.
All of those who clung onto the FFP stopped any spending really should step up and apologise with the release of the figures.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All of those who clung onto the FFP stopped any spending really should step up and apologise with the release of the figures.

Yep. They're missing the key points of at all.

We were within £20m of the limit over the three-year rolling period that matters now.

They're taking the headline that we're projecting to be '£2.7m within the limit next season' but missing that it's the worst case scenario. In reality, you can add £10-20m to the £2.7m. In which case, we're inside it quite easily.

We shouldn't be actively demanding we spend up to the limit, but that's plenty of room to sign players when you factor the amortisation. (e.g. a £30m striker signing on a five-year deal would be £6m on the books for this period).

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
Not too bad a performance when you consider there was practically zero time to prep for the game. Play Wednesday, recover Thursday, travel Friday, play Saturday. With Newcastle playing their cup game a day earlier and not having to travel, this gave them a distinct advantage, particularly with our small squad restricting our opportunity to rotate.

This will be our undoing in the final run in, particularly with 'hopefully' at least two more cup ties fit in.

The season will be considered a success though even if we lose every remaining game. The main objective has already been achieved and Jeff and Co will be happy with that.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Well there wasn't much to be positive about today was there, unless of course you can enlighten me..........?

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Thought goals (which were somewhat fortuitous) aside it was a better performance than Sheff U and Brighton.

Just think GON has made a bit of an error with squad rotation last 3 games and could have used some of our peripheral players more.

Mancwolf56

Groupie
Reaction score

Just interested how you know with such certainty what the financials will show for 2023/24?

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Always the way

Personally feel like today is just one we can write off without too much recrimination. I never like us losing but with the injuries we had/picked up, the difficulty of the game and the fact we didn't actually play that badly (it was never a 3-0 game) there's not a great deal to get mad about. Dust ourselves down and move on

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just interested how you know with such certainty what the financials will show for 2023/24?
What???

the club is around a 100 million in profit in player trading this season. Even with the payoff for Lopetegui and gang, there must still be a very healthy surolus.

Back
Top Bottom