Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Molineux redevelopment

Clifton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 13885 Adding a NW Quad to the North Bank like this would add around 2k.

wow that looks so much better! Seems a very sensible place to start then remove the bottom section of the Steve Bull, get that completed and closer to the pitch before taking out the remainder of the stand and building upwards, that will then give us the capacity to make some amendments to the south bank.

P

Palmerwolf

Heard a rumour from a chap who sits near me who is usually quite informed so thought I'd share it with you

He said molineux is to be redeveloped ( I'm guessing Steve bull & southbank) in 2023
The year we are away from molineux we will be housed at Alexander stadium which by then would have been redeveloped for the commonwealth games being held in 2022 which is to have a capacity of 40000
Untill then more temporary seating will be added to existing molineux

Like I say just a rumour so don't shoot me down
Sorry if this has been put on here already

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Heard a rumour from a chap who sits near me who is usually quite informed so thought I'd share it with you

He said molineux is to be redeveloped ( I'm guessing Steve bull & southbank) in 2023
The year we are away from molineux we will be housed at Alexander stadium which by then would have been redeveloped for the commonwealth games being held in 2022 which is to have a capacity of 40000

Isn't seating going to be an issue with this ?

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would have thought that parking and transport links would be biggest issue but they must have it worked out for the Commonwealth Games?
Potentially this is the least bad and most cost effective option i guess.

sjonnie

Reaction score

I think that's probably the best solution if we are to stay at Molineux, otherwise a phased plan is likely to be a 10 year project. The only thing I would say is that I can't see a complete redevelopment being completed in one year.

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that's probably the best solution if we are to stay at Molineux, otherwise a phased plan is likely to be a 10 year project. The only thing I would say is that I can't see a complete redevelopment being completed in one year.
i think South Bank would be done in a year if they are building behind they could start sooner than the time we were away

Bully will take 2 years but we could have it all knocked down and the lower tier built in the year with the corners to ensure we dont lose capacity. then top tier and outside built when we move back in

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's a great solution if true.....could also mean Wolves gaining a new supporter base in Birmingham if
all went well.

JR’s Boots

Groupie
Reaction score
wow that looks so much better! Seems a very sensible place to start then remove the bottom section of the Steve Bull, get that completed and closer to the pitch before taking out the remainder of the stand and building upwards, that will then give us the capacity to make some amendments to the south bank.
Morgan should have done this from the start with the NB rebuild and designed the the stand to be symmetrical

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Alexander Stadium is about an hour from Wolvo train station via the train. Long old poke for a lot of people.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Still not sure we will move away to complete the work .I have idea how they will work round it but I think the solution will lead to comments like ‘I never thought of that’

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Clicked on the E&S report below 'Wolves nearing Molineux redevelopment' this morning thinking it was new.
But it stems from October 2018, 14 months ago, says Club bosses have been in discussions for months.. etc.
From a fans point of view we don't seemed to have moved on from then at all.
It would be good to hear when the club are going to bite the bullet, and go for it.
No doubt work is going on behind the scenes but it is dragging on a long time, hopefully, news soon.
Wolves nearing Molineux redevelopment

Last edited:

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Alexander Stadium is about an hour from Wolvo train station via the train. Long old poke for a lot of people.

Still better than Coventry though, which was one suggestion.
Or would we rather share with Villa or WBA?
At least Alexander Stadium would be “our own” and I would rather we played there for a season and got Molineux rebuilt relatively quickly and in one go than piecemeal over many years.
And after the Commonwealth Games is over and done with and the stadium has reverted to its lower capacity the opportunity is gone.
Needs good park and ride or similar plans though, but the Commonwealth Games already has a Strategic Transport Plan so can presumably piggy back off that and some if the existing stadium development investment.

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Clicked on the E&S report below 'Wolves nearing Molineux redevelopment' this morning thinking it was new.
But it stems from October 2018, 14 months ago, says Club bosses have been in discussions for months.. etc.
From a fans point of view we don't seemed to have moved on from then at all.
It would be good to hear when the club are going to bite the bullet, and go for it.
No doubt work is going on behind the scenes but it is dragging on a long time, hopefully, news soon.
Wolves nearing Molineux redevelopment

I've noticed all the old news at the bottom of the website, caught me out a couple of times.

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score
The Alexander Stadium option could allow work to be completed at Molineux in a timely manner and without too many compromises but would be deeply unpopular with the regular fanbase. Playing away effectively every week could be damaging too for league position. I'd assume access will be improved for the Commonwealth Games but will that extend to improved rail access? nearest stations are both half hour walk from the stadium, Metro doesn't really work either.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll be giving this particular season a miss if this becomes reality TBH....just don't fancy this at all.... will need my rosy faced overly optimistic daughter to try change my mind

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont want to go anywhere. Molineux is our home. Start work on the south bank asap building from behind the stand.

Whatever approach is taken, there will always be a group of people who wanted something different. I don't want to watch football in a building site for the next 6(?) years. There has to be a compromise somewhere. According to different people on here:
Doing nothing isn't an option
Moving away to a new out of town ground isnt an option
Ground sharing with the Villa (or someone else) doesn't appear to be an option
Temporary re-location to Coventry or Alexander Stadium isn't an option
Building piecemeal isnt an option
Buying Asda isn't an option
Building somewhere new within Wolverhampton isn't an option
Building bits on to give slightly more seating isn't an option

So, WTF is the acceptable option to everyone?

There isnt one.

Some people are going to be upset

But we all need to focus on what is in the best long term interests of the club and the city. And that is building a new stadium, and all the attendant infrastructure and hotels, etc etc that enhances the facilities and the long term revenue generating opportunities for the club, and the city to allow the club to become a sustainable force again.

We all need to look at the big picture and be prepared to accept short term frustration to deliver a long term excellent vision.

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still don’t see a need. We can expand southbank and do steve bull at the same time. Or south bank first. Capacity never dips below about 30k

unless they went to do all three sides in one go. Which I’m ok with if we end up with a completed stadium in 1-2 years

I

imaJUNGLIST

When the Alexander stadium never sells out and we have 26k for evening games we will wonder why we ever moved.

Doesnt bother me personally as kford wolves will do a coach if were at molineux or ground sharing with west Spam.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whatever approach is taken, there will always be a group of people who wanted something different. I don't want to watch football in a building site for the next 6(?) years. There has to be a compromise somewhere. According to different people on here:

There isnt one.

But we all need to focus on what is in the best long term interests of the club and the city. And that is building a new stadium, and all the attendant infrastructure and hotels, etc etc that enhances the facilities and the long term revenue generating opportunities for the club, and the city to allow the club to become a sustainable force again.

We all need to look at the big picture and be prepared to accept short term frustration to deliver a long term excellent vision.
Completely agree. Something has to give somewhere to get this to happen. Some fans will be upset no matter what we do.
To paraphrase Henry Ford ‘if I’d asked people what they wanted, they’d have said a faster horse’.

Fosun can’t approach this by committee. If we want to be the best club in the world then we need a ground that reflects it and that will take a clear un-compromised vision. Do what it takes to get it built - at Molineux! Whatever we have to suffer in the interim we’ll have to suck it up.
My personal hope is it’s not too big and half full like the emptyhad. Stands and stadia come and go, it’s winning trophies in them that counts. Compact and imposing and loud, loud, loud, deafeningly LOUD.

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

There isnt one.

Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll Poll

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still don’t see a need. We can expand southbank and do steve bull at the same time. Or south bank first. Capacity never dips below about 30k

unless they went to do all three sides in one go. Which I’m ok with if we end up with a completed stadium in 1-2 years

Yes, and we can fill in the corners a bit, too. But that doesn't seem to increase the potential capacity to the c50K mooted and doesn't give the possibility of including hotels, office space, other entertainment options and other revenue generators that help with long term financial sustainability, though.
It doesn't help the University with any ambitions that they may have, it doesnt help re-generate the city and an extra 5-6K on the gate doesn't help financially that much whilst providing more of a problem for the existing infrastructure to cope with on the current footprint.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll be giving this particular season a miss if this becomes reality TBH....just don't fancy this at all.... will need my rosy faced overly optimistic daughter to try change my mind
Seems a bit of a spoilt brat attitude. It gets the rebuild done in shortest possible time, isnt that far, has some interest and prestige value, and may attract some new fans. Treat it as an adventure, the Perry Barr Safari....

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems a bit of a spoilt brat attitude. It gets the rebuild done in shortest possible time, isnt that far, has some interest and prestige value, and may attract some new fans. Treat it as an adventure, the Perry Barr Safari....
Not a spoilt brat at all thanks, all I'm simply saying is I don't fancy going there , extra travel ( and I'm sure public transport links will be ****) , extra cost , lateness of getting back after night matches etc.... not all of us have a car

wayne-the-wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Cant imagine the locals being to happy with 30k Wolves fans rocking up every other week for a couple of seasons - doubt brum council would allow it

bully9

Reaction score
Cant imagine the locals being to happy with 30k Wolves fans rocking up every other week for a couple of seasons - doubt brum council would allow it
Why wouldnt they 1 year maybe 2 of monies coming in or sits there doing nothing , i guess they built it to make no money out of it

The Runner

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If this is a goer, there must be a lot of talk already going on between the interested parties. Would suspect even the rebuilt Alexander Stadium would need a fair few alterations to make it into a Premier League football ground. Just as an example, I remember before last season we had to spend a significant amount of money upgrading the Molineux floodlights to be effective for TV UHD etc.

wayne-the-wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Why wouldnt they 1 year maybe 2 of monies coming in or sits there doing nothing , i guess they built it to make no money out of it

Would the council really make anything though?
Who owns the stadium?
I just see local opposition as a massive stumbling block.
30k a few times over a few weeks for the games is one thing but every other week for 2 seasons is another

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Does that mean you will stop posting? All of a sudden I am pro-Alex stadium.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can’t say I’d fancy the proposition of trekking over to the Alex every fortnight, especially for night games. I think we’d come back to a lot of pubs that had gone out of business in the interim.

I don’t get the objection to building whilst on site. We’ve already proven you can build a 60k stadium without moving the pitch. Ticket revenue is negligible now as a percentage of income, and it’s not like every other stadium (including Molineux) bar the new ones hasn’t already gone through that at various stages in the past. The way some people go on, you’d think it’s never been done before, and I 100% guarantee none of them would be mentioning it if Spurs hadn’t done it. Monkey see, monkey do.

Back
Top Bottom