Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Molineux redevelopment

Oakhamwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Before Laings joined up with O'Rourke, Laings built the Millenium stadium in Cardiff, and made a right hash of it, that as good as broke the company. Hope the joined up version do a better job of it.

I

imaJUNGLIST

That's in Germany. The safe standing they are going for in this country is what we have in the South Bank now

This is the point I'm trying to make. We dont know what will happen in this country. Final reports are due in at the end of the season. Then the pros and cons will be weighed up by government and then legislation will be passed. Tottenham appear to be going with the 1.2 model by their estimates. Everton seem to be going much higher.

SanFranWolf

Transfer summary thread supremo
Reaction score
Everton Appoints Laing O'Rourke To Deliver New Stadium

What’s the betting they’ll play their first game there before we’ve even got anywhere with knocking down the Steve Bull?

I thought it looked OK when the intial drawings came out but that walkthrough makes it look fantastic. The single tier home end coupled with a roof design that looks pretty enclosed (probably because of where its located) might equal very loud acoustics.

I know Spurs thought hard about how to make their new stadium loud as well. I really hope we do the same.

When i was a kid and before my dad took me to night games, I could hear the raw of the South Bank when we scored from my bedroom in Oxley. I remember the night we played PSV Eindhoven being one of the loudest.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought it looked OK when the intial drawings came out but that walkthrough makes it look fantastic. The single tier home end coupled with a roof design that looks pretty enclosed (probably because of where its located) might equal very loud acoustics.

I know Spurs thought hard about how to make their new stadium loud as well. I really hope we do the same.

When i was a kid and before my dad took me to night games, I could hear the raw of the South Bank when we scored from my bedroom in Oxley. I remember the night we played PSV Eindhoven being one of the loudest.
My old fellas family could hear the crowd of the 50s at Essington.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Study case - Stamford Bridge, Chelsea, 1997.

With the Matthew Harding Stand completed in 1995 and the East Stand renovated, by the summer of 1996 Chelsea had a capacity of 33,980, yet with regular sell outs and two dated sides, they decided to continue the transformation of Stamford Bridge to create a modern ground with a larger capacity.

The Shed End, which at that point was a temporary stand in front of the old terracing was demolished just after the start of the 1996/97 season, dropping the capacity for most of that season to around 28,400, with that end of the ground not opening again until the following year.

The one I want to look at in particular relation to Molineux though is their West Stand which ran along the one side of the pitch.

It had a capacity of 8806 seats at that time, over two tiers, so similar to the Steve Bull Stand which has a slightly higher capacity of just over 9000 (previously 9348 before the lower tier was modified post 2012).

The last game in front of the old West Stand was on 3rd May 1997, a 0-0 versus Leeds United with a crowd of 28,277, the ground three sided, with the new Shed End still not complete.

A12B91D6-2408-4F3B-9ED8-0659F3E320F3.jpeg

The West Stand was then knocked down completely by the July of that summer, seen here ready for a London Monarchs American Football game

7C236B10-6DC5-4E93-A009-972A7D37814A.jpeg

Come the start of the next season, the Shed End had been completed for August, and the lower tier of the West Stand was gradually opened in blocks, with an attendance of 30,008 versus Southampton on 30th August 1997, before being fully opened vs Arsenal on 21st September with an attendance of 33,012 (the second home game of the season)

Note, this is the actual lower tier of the stand, not a temporary stand, albeit facilities weren't fully finished (portaloos/burger vans for kiosks, temporary turnstiles, etc.), but this is the finished seating deck.

3C26821D-BFA9-42A3-8C6D-FF4A6D1B8BB6.jpeg

EDC295CC-BD90-4012-B4F8-FD288744BB7E.jpeg

120CA14A-A009-4CEE-901F-0B786E20DFA2.jpeg

And with a working capacity only 900 less than the start of the previous season, building work continued to add the upper tiers to finish the stand.

93AA99F8-9A1F-4AD0-BBAB-97C09D183C51.jpeg

The eventual finished stand would be three tiers tall with a capacity of 13,500, finishing off Stamford Bridge into the ground we know today with its capacity of 41,361.
73C72A57-291C-4A85-BB93-B0776C3935AF.jpeg

I thought this might be interesting for anyone wondering how we might progress by knocking down and rebuilding the Steve Bull.

Last edited:

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Study case - Stamford Bridge, Chelsea, 1997.

With the Matthew Harding Stand completed in 1995 and the East Stand renovated, by the summer of 1996 Chelsea had a capacity of 33,980, yet with regular sell outs and two dated sides, they decided to continue the transformation of Stamford Bridge to create a modern ground with a larger capacity.

The Shed End, which at that point was a temporary stand in front of the old terracing was demolished just after the start of the 1996/97 season, dropping the capacity for most of that season to around 28,400, with that end of the ground not opening again until the following year.

The one I want to look at in particular relation to Molineux though is their West Stand which ran along the one side of the pitch.

It had a capacity of 8806 seats at that time, over two tiers, so similar to the Steve Bull Stand which has a slightly higher capacity of just over 9000 (previously 9348 before the lower tier was modified post 2012).

The last game in front of the old West Stand was on 3rd May 1997, a 0-0 versus Leeds United with a crowd of 28,277, the ground three sided, with the new Shed End still not complete.

View attachment 13834

The West Stand was then knocked down completely by the July of that summer, seen here ready for a London Monarchs American Football game

View attachment 13831

Come the start of the next season, the Shed End had been completed for August, and the lower tier of the West Stand was gradually opened in blocks, with an attendance of 30,008 versus Southampton on 30th August 1997, before being fully opened vs Arsenal on 21st September with an attendance of 33,012 (the second home game of the season)

Note, this is the actual lower tier of the stand, not a temporary stand, albeit facilities weren't fully finished (portaloos/burger vans for kiosks, temporary turnstiles, etc.), but this is the finished seating deck.

View attachment 13832

View attachment 13835

View attachment 13837

And with a working capacity only 900 less than the start of the previous season, building work continued to add the upper tiers to finish the stand.

View attachment 13836

The eventual finished stand would be three tiers tall with a capacity of 13,500, finishing off Stamford Bridge into the ground we know today with its capacity of 41,361.
View attachment 13830

I thought this might be interesting for anyone wondering how we might progress by knocking down and rebuilding the Steve Bull.

Good idea. I think with all the ideas discussed on this thread, expanding the South Bank with no drop in capacity, then a phased rebuild like your suggesting of the Steve Bull would surely be the best compromise all round.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So did the same happen at the Emirates the other night.? Let's face facts,football is losing fans and at a faster rate now with this bloody VAR.Wolves had better watch how they gew about things as it's very easy to get fed up and lose interest.Yes at the moment we are having the best time we have had for years but it could all change.

**** VAR......it ay football anymore.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From a BBC article on another thread.

Wolves: Where next for Nuno Espirito Santo's side after rapid rise?

"Like White Hart Lane, Molineux is a grand old stadium in need of a major upgrade. At one point there was an idea to build somewhere new.

This changed to scaling up the existing ground fairly quickly. But the cost of that, estimated to be anywhere between £50m and £100m, is high and the payback period, up to 25 years, long. Unlike Tottenham, Wolves cannot generate funds in the USA through a bond scheme, so the interest rate being quoted is more than 4%.

A strategic decision has been made to wait until the financial picture is more favourable before major work at Molineux takes place. Wolves hope to add 700 seats this summer and another 2,000 in 2021. But that will still only put them 11th in the list of current Premier League capacities and a long way behind all the clubs they are trying to catch."

Phitsanulok (Poole) Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agree, I used to live in Oxley

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not trying to be naggy but in my view a massive South Bank holding 14000 would be awful. Not only would there often be thousands of empty seats at the front, it would kill the atmosphere.
People have a habit of thinking bigger size equals better atmosphere. The existing South Bank is the only part of the ground that is acoustically good or near to the pitch.
I think the club could perhaps do some consultation to find out how many of the other existing ST holders and on the waiting list would choose the all-standing all singing South Bank (ok I know not all sing but you get the gist) before expanding it at all.

That way they could ascertain the demand for the stand, and extend it accordingly, in my opinion from 6000 to about 8500, which would be perfect atmosphere-wise. Of course if 14000 actually do want to be in the South Bank, so be it. But just be careful not to ruin something bloody good at the club.

Why would there be empty seats at the front?
From a BBC article on another thread.

Wolves: Where next for Nuno Espirito Santo's side after rapid rise?

"Like White Hart Lane, Molineux is a grand old stadium in need of a major upgrade. At one point there was an idea to build somewhere new.

This changed to scaling up the existing ground fairly quickly. But the cost of that, estimated to be anywhere between £50m and £100m, is high and the payback period, up to 25 years, long. Unlike Tottenham, Wolves cannot generate funds in the USA through a bond scheme, so the interest rate being quoted is more than 4%.

A strategic decision has been made to wait until the financial picture is more favourable before major work at Molineux takes place. Wolves hope to add 700 seats this summer and another 2,000 in 2021. But that will still only put them 11th in the list of current Premier League capacities and a long way behind all the clubs they are trying to catch."

Interesting. So 700 extra seats this summer, and 2000 next year. Also it’s the financing of the expansion which has delayed work on the major project.

I assume the extra 700 is a temp stand between the Steve Bull and South Bank. Not clear where the 2000 in 2021 comes from? NW Quad would be around that size I imagine. South Bank extension would be more than that, so that’s not it. Rebuilt lower tiers for Steve Bull and/or Billy Wright perhaps?

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why would there be empty seats at the front?

Interesting. So 700 extra seats this summer, and 2000 next year. Also it’s the financing of the expansion which has delayed work on the major project.

I assume the extra 700 is a temp stand between the Steve Bull and South Bank. Not clear where the 2000 in 2021 comes from? NW Quad would be around that size I imagine. South Bank extension would be more than that, so that’s not it. Rebuilt lower tiers for Steve Bull and/or Billy Wright perhaps?

Must have something planned for following year, unless that is the lower tier of Steve Bull being created - as phase 1? Be great if it was and it was starting soon. Still think doing south Bank first makes more sense, although Id rather Steve Bull is done next just in case they stop again. That way we'd have 3 sides close to pitch and joined up

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Extra 2000 from safe standing.

Where?
Doubt other parts of the ground would really want standing.

I can only imagin 2k coming from NW quadrant, but the club have never mentioned doing that. I suspect the bbc journalist has got his information wrong.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where?
Doubt other parts of the ground would really want standing.

I can only imagin 2k coming from NW quadrant, but the club have never mentioned doing that. I suspect the bbc journalist has got his information wrong.

The South Bank and part of the NE Quad are already fitted out. Depending on the standing ratio allowed, that could support at extra 2k in standing config.

The NW Quad is the most obvious place to add around 2k if it’s not dependent on safe standing being approved.

The report appears well informed in other ways, so I’d suggest it’s based on good info.

Finch3d

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Can the facilities in the stands cope with an extra 2k.... its dangerously full back there as it is.

paulhick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After watching Richard hammonds programme last night you’ve got to be impressed with spurs new stadium. Imagine being in the position to have a stadium like that filled week in week out. Looked phenomenal.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last edited:

MobNet Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Try queuing 10 mins later. And will take half an hour

This.

I usually arrive at the SBU about 30-35 mins prior to kick off and as stated above, you’re through in about 6-10 mins (although the queues look big).

My train was late today and I got to the ground at 7.45pm today and didn’t get in until 8.05pm, despite the queues not looking much bigger.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

nomadwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just stumbled on this from Oct'19 and Jeff Shi talks money and stadium expansion....not about Mendes...I not see if posted already, so enjoy regardless...

Derby Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not trying to be naggy but in my view a massive South Bank holding 14000 would be awful. Not only would there often be thousands of empty seats at the front, it would kill the atmosphere.
People have a habit of thinking bigger size equals better atmosphere. The existing South Bank is the only part of the ground that is acoustically good or near to the pitch.
I think the club could perhaps do some consultation to find out how many of the other existing ST holders and on the waiting list would choose the all-standing all singing South Bank (ok I know not all sing but you get the gist) before expanding it at all.

That way they could ascertain the demand for the stand, and extend it accordingly, in my opinion from 6000 to about 8500, which would be perfect atmosphere-wise. Of course if 14000 actually do want to be in the South Bank, so be it. But just be careful not to ruin something bloody good at the club.

I'm with you, we've got to protect what we have. Expand it and you risk turning it into The Kop, full of Hoorah Henry's camera phones out and only there so their mates on Facebook can see they are.

I'd expand it but you can only relocate there if an existing season ticket holder. With the planned increase in corporate in the Steve Bull (don't agree but it's the world we live in) you could offer it to people in those blocks.

That said I thought the inter stand banter yesterday was class and not something I want to lose. Especially when everyone came together for We Are Wolves.

Derby Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hate the inter stand “banter”. We look weak and divided with the super fans trying to show how much better they are

Whereas they look fantastic sitting in silence 3 up.

The Steve Bull does a great job in prodding a complacent South Bank in the ribs and getting them going.

We looked fairly united when everybody sang We Are Wolves.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Before Laings joined up with O'Rourke, Laings built the Millenium stadium in Cardiff, and made a right hash of it, that as good as broke the company. Hope the joined up version do a better job of it.

Have they built a stadium before? I don't know what the British base is like now, but the Australasian branch are shambolic and under a lot of pressure....there was a time last year when we thought they were going the same way as Carillion and had their building license suspended in Queensland until they pumped some money into the accounts. Same deal...leaving debts unpaid but stating they had a clean bill of health from "independent auditors" which as we found with Carillion, means **** all.
As long as they stick to concrete, oil and gas over here they're OK.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Why the hell do they need 34,000? They don't even fill their 20,000 stadium now. **** hole.
Millwall are averaging 13,901 this season, so 6k less than current capacity, 20k less than the planned capacity increase.
Expansion is fine, if the demand is there, but there doesn't seem much fan expansion in Millwall, getting years of 12/13k Championship gates.
Great to see ambition though. Hopefully, Wolves will get a move on with ours which is much more urgent with sell-outs and a 10k waiting list.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Millwall are averaging 13,901 this season, so 6k less than current capacity, 20k less than the planned capacity increase.
Expansion is fine, if the demand is there, but there doesn't seem much fan expansion in Millwall, getting years of 12/13k Championship gates.
Great to see ambition though. Hopefully, Wolves will get a move on with ours which is much more urgent with sell-outs and a 10k waiting list.
Lewisham Council tried to compulsory purchase a swathe of land around Millwall's ground to put houses on. Millwall fought that off after one heck of a battle. I think they feel that if they don't expand their ground now, even if the demand isn't currently there, they never will. The Council could revive their plans at any time..

Dudleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The 19000 of us must have really rawed (sic)then !

Back
Top Bottom