Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Molineux redevelopment

stuj4z

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Any ground share would have less that 20,000 turn up after the first few games.
2 years of that would not be worth it at all.
Considering South bank extension would take a year and not affect anyone whatsoever.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Any ground share would have less that 20,000 turn up after the first few games.
2 years of that would not be worth it at all.
Considering South bank extension would take a year and not affect anyone whatsoever.

But if it was just one year?? With most of the building completed, and any infrastructural changes necessary carried out. I can certainly see the sense in that. It also means that work would commence in just over two years, giving a proper time for planning, construction time and resources alloted and time for fans to get used to idea.

Alienwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Cant imagine the locals being to happy with 30k Wolves fans rocking up every other week for a couple of seasons - doubt brum council would allow it

The bigger issue is WMP. They would potentially have the problem of policing 4 matches within Birmingham over the course of a weekend. It’s possible, during the period in question, that 3 of those could be in the Premier League, although hopefully Villa will be in League 2 by then

stuj4z

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But if it was just one year?? With most of the building completed, and any infrastructural changes necessary carried out. I can certainly see the sense in that. It also means that work would commence in just over two years, giving a proper time for planning, construction time and resources alloted and time for fans to get used to idea.
It wont be 1 year though.
The Steve Bull will take 2 years on it's own.
Starting from scratch is one thing, leveling stands already there and then building is another

S

ShropshireLad

Plan A was that last season was to be the planning season for organising the work, acquisition of materials and sorting the contracts out following the plans which were projected to be in place. This season the construction was to be started. That came from Laurie Nolonger-Dimple.

As we understand we haven’t got the plans ready yet so I doubt that anything significant will take place for a few years...and by that I mean more than two. There may be bits added here and there to create a bit more space but I realistically accept there isn’t a great deal of scope for any serious expansion.

Just my opinion.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's a great solution if true.....could also mean Wolves gaining a new supporter base in Birmingham if
all went well.
Not many though Joe imo. Having grown up in Redditch and Birmingham I know that Brummies don't hate Black Country folk but do hold patronising views about them and few would want to identify with our club, even if we were playing on their doorstep. Moving to the Alex for a season would probably consolidate our north-east black country fanbase around Walsall though? And it'd really **** the **** fans off!

Of all the groundshare ideas, this is the only one that might be palatable for a lot of supporters. It's crap for pubs though in Perry Barr, and transport would be a 'mare.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All this splurge of opinions based on a single post from a newbie?

D

Deleted member 4382

Plan A was that last season was to be the planning season for organising the work, acquisition of materials and sorting the contracts out following the plans which were projected to be in place. This season the construction was to be started. That came from Laurie Nolonger-Dimple.

As we understand we haven’t got the plans ready yet so I doubt that anything significant will take place for a few years...and by that I mean more than two. There may be bits added here and there to create a bit more space but I realistically accept there isn’t a great deal of scope for any serious expansion.

Just my opinion.
**** me, with all those different type sizes and drifting in and out of bold it felt like I’d dropped a mild acid tab reading that.

The Runner

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
All this splurge of opinions based on a single post from a newbie?
The more I think about it, if we are to groundshare, and I'm not even sure it's going to happen (has anyone at Wolves ever suggested this possibility?), the only viable alternative would be Villa Park. It's the only location that ticks the requisite amount of boxes; already Premier League ground (for now :)), capacity, pitch quality, floodlighting etc. Not brilliant to get to but better than the alternatives.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The thing with a ground share is surely the owners of whatever ground take a good share of the match day profit; so staying at Molineux with a reduced capacity is probably more profitable for us than being somewhere else even with an extra 10k supporters.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
10,000 prospective season ticket holders on the waiting list? Surely the club has to do something in the next 18 months to add capacity.

Derby Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You've only got to see what happened with attendances to Spurs at Wembley to see what a ground share would do.

Also asking the bars and food places in Wolverhampton to go a year with no football income might just be the final nail in the town centres coffin.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I don't see the major rush to be honest, i was in the Steve Bull on Sunday and whilst it took about 15 minutes to get in and was very busy it wasn't as bad as some have made out. Another turnstile could be added to the existing stand quickly to alleviate some of the queues.

SBDJ

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The more I think about it, if we are to groundshare, and I'm not even sure it's going to happen (has anyone at Wolves ever suggested this possibility?), the only viable alternative would be Villa Park. It's the only location that ticks the requisite amount of boxes; already Premier League ground (for now :)), capacity, pitch quality, floodlighting etc. Not brilliant to get to but better than the alternatives.

Yeah but some people dont want that. You havent quite grasped the issue and you're looking at it in far too pragmatic a way. The solution has to please everyone from those who want a 50 000 brand new stadium with gold plated urinals in the bogs to those who just want a new turnstile in the Steve Bull

Jeff has his work cut out

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think we can sustain 50,000 crowds at present (without allowing 8000 away fans) but I do think continued success can see regular 40k crowds. But if we are going to grow we have to capitalise on our popularity now. They are right to add more seats where they can.

I would travel to Perry bar if I had to but I doubt they are really considering that - unless it's to put the wind up the Council. Two years away would kill lots of city centre businesses if you ask me.

Last edited:

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember when Moxey said we wouldn't sustain 30,000 and blamed the supporters for phase 2 for not going ahead. Now we fill our stadium every week with a 10000 waiting list..
Some people can't go to all the home matches, but can go to most. These people could bring their kids and their friends. We are keeping away future generations of fans, who would get hooked on the club for life.
People who were bought up with Richards, Waggy and the rest in the 70's got hooked and many still go nearly 50 years later.
This is a time when Wolves our probably one of the most attractive teams in the premiership to watch and we are locking thousands of fans out of the stadium.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

I remember when Moxey said we wouldn't sustain 30,000 and blamed the supporters for phase 2 for not going ahead. Now we fill our stadium every week with a 10000 waiting list..
Some people can't go to all the home matches, but can go to most. These people could bring their kids and their friends. We are keeping away future generations of fans, who would get hooked on the club for life.
People who were bought up with Richards, Waggy and the rest in the 70's got hooked and many still go nearly 50 years later.
This is a time when Wolves our probably one of the most attractive teams in the premiership to watch and we are locking thousands of fans out of the stadium.

my feelings exactly.

unfortunately, we are just a donor club for the fosun-gestifute player cartel, and our owners are in it for the short/medium term only. Investing in the stadium will reduce their profits.

this is what Mr Dalrymple told me in the pub, and it’s the reason he moved on.

[some or all of this might be true, but equally it might not be]

Shirtliffs shinpads

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
my feelings exactly.

unfortunately, we are just a donor club for the fosun-gestifute player cartel, and our owners are in it for the short/medium term only. Investing in the stadium will reduce their profits.

this is what Mr Dalrymple told me in the pub, and it’s the reason he moved on.

[some or all of this might be true, but equally it might not be]
Was this the day I seven balled Lord lucan in the pool room?

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stadium seating first in Telford - Sports Venue Business (SVB)

A UK ‘first’ has been announced at a sports venue in Telford. Its grandstand is to become the first in the country to have seating that increases capacity when used for standing.

The rail seats to be installed in the stand at Telford Athletics Stadium will enable a capacity increase of 80 percent when used in standing mode. To be supplied by Ferco Seating from nearby Shrewsbury, this style of seating has been installed previously by the company at Celtic and Shrewsbury Town football clubs, where the ratio of standing fans to seats is 1:1. Now, for the first time in Britain, the ratio in Telford will be 1.8:1.

Based on a new provision made in the latest edition of the Sports Ground Safety Authority’s ‘Green Guide’, this will be achieved by having an intermediate step along each row, thus enabling spectators to stand in two lines between the end-to-end barriers formed by the rail seats.

Planned by James Maxwell of the biT Group and due to be built by contractors Welch and Phillips, the ground-breaking stand will house 110spectators in seated mode and 198 when used for standing.
Can’t remember which thread it was on about standing to seat ratios, but they can bugger off with this. It’s been bad enough with the extra seat crammed into each row in the South Bank. This would be back to the worst part of the old terraces.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't see the major rush to be honest, i was in the Steve Bull on Sunday and whilst it took about 15 minutes to get in and was very busy it wasn't as bad as some have made out. Another turnstile could be added to the existing stand quickly to alleviate some of the queues.
Perhaps you had my seat as I couldn't make it; I can assure you being in the Steve Bull is **** (my view is pretty good, though cramped) and I for one will volunteer to help knock it down!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps you had my seat as I couldn't make it; I can assure you being in the Steve Bull is **** (my view is pretty good, though cramped) and I for one will volunteer to help knock it down!
Sitting in there for one match might not be too bad but a whole season does get to you...

S

ShropshireLad

Sitting in there for one match might not be too bad but a whole season does get to you...
Apart from the inconvenience of queueing to get in and the long haul to get out I rather like it. The guys around me are top geezers as well. :)

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wtjn27C.jpg

Saw this picture earlier. It's a good example of how far the pitch was moved across, but also makes you imagine what it could have been like if they'd built the Billy Wright straight instead of cranked. Even with the old North Bank it could have felt more hemmed in.

Hsvwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me a steeper more intimidating 44000 would be big enough for us as( also makes biggest in midlands as VP is 42375)....Even Juventus’s new stadium is only 40000but look at the atmosphere they create

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's a very evocative photo in post 11358. I've been trying to work out which game it was and I believe it would have been the 0-0 draw at home to West Ham on 4th October 1992. Attendance 14,391. The player being tackled looks like Andy Mutch and I can also spot Bully, Birch, Cook and Downing.

Back
Top Bottom