Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d not only back Ryan’s case but would be happy to contribute to his legal fund - it’s quite common knowledge in footballing circles that he went for the job. I am not much into social media but if I was I’d also be happy to tweet the same.
Yeah... I'd thought if it were common knowledge Lopetegui applied for the Spurs job in the Summer, quite the juicy story I'd say, there'd be at least one journalist willing to break it long before now. Inclined to give this the Karl Pilkington treatment, tbh.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah... I'd thought if it were common knowledge Lopetegui applied for the Spurs job in the Summer, quite the juicy story I'd say, there'd be at least one journalist willing to break it long before now. Inclined to give this the Karl Pilkington treatment, tbh.
You'd be absolutely correct.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do I feel that relegation this season would still somehow be JLs fault with you @Stourport wolf

He should have been sacked after the first interview. I blame him for the manipulative interviews. I think the club were too soft and didn't sack him straight after the interview and I blame the club for their naivety and that they lost valuable time recruiting a new manager.
Relegation will be down to the people in charge, not Lopetegui. I have no doubt about that and no problem saying it.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
West Ham, Palace, Brentford, Brighton, Villa, Bournemouth, Everton (if they get wealthy owners not 777), to name a few. Depends entirely on things happening at these clubs, but that’s the level I imagine he would be a candidate for.
He'd chuck his toys out the pram when those clubs can't spend 100m every window tho.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His interview was an exclusive for the Athletic with a recently departed PL coach. I imagine a bunch of media approached him for an interview before the one. As I said before, nothing in that interview hadn’t already been reported or stated by Hobbs, except for the tears and wolf comments, with have become defacto standard for recent departures from Wolves. The interview was mostly about Wolves.

If you want us all to stick our heads in the ground and forget he was our coach, then you’re going to get very frustrated. How many threads and posts on this forum about Nuno after he left? How many about Mick? Jesus, we have mentions of Saunders and Hoddle in recent days. One thing is certain though. Any mention of Lopetegui will trigger your usual rants. Maybe I should start a new thread - What did Lopetegui do to **** Stourport Wolf off? ;)

Try debating the subject not the poster. I am straight down the line. I have talked about Lopetegui 's carácter and controversial and manipulative behaviour, from a time before he was our manager.
I don't care about Lopetegui now, it is not me bringing his name up, or putting links up, to advertise that is he is unemployed, hard done by and he cried when he left, it was you. You defend that as an exclusive. My point of view is that interview is all over the international media again, dragging Wolverhampton Wanderers down. If you are OK with that, it is your perogative, I just wish the **** would **** off, enjoy his hard won cash and shut his arrogant self serving gob.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So lopetegui took us from bottom to out of relegation with the players we have minus a few . So not wanting to state the obvious but Gaz blame lopetegui hmmmmm. I don't remember lopetegui doing that with Lage .

If we lose 6/7/8 tomorrow will he blame him for that or the fact he needs to sort this **** out .

Sick of the excuses from Fosun , from Shi , Hobbs bleating on about ****e , O'Neil spouting just *******s .

Are Luton , Sheff United blaming their ex managers . No they are **** and down the bottom like us because they are not good enough .

It's a ****ing shambles

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He'd chuck his toys out the pram when those clubs can't spend 100m every window tho.

Why? He wouldn’t take the job unless he was happy with the plans. If the club then changed the plan, then yeah, he might throw his toys out of the pram. We have the incompetent Shi in charge, who promised investment if he kept us up, then reneged on his promise. Shi can **** off.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Final thing is would Wenger ,Ferguson , Klopp put up with Fosun

Answer that honestly and there is the ****ing problem without stating the obvious. I suppose they would be labelled trouble makers by some as airing their views . Rather than dealing with a none ambitious board like other clubs in the area .

Working well for the **** and we are nearer them than villa .

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Try debating the subject not the poster. I am straight down the line. I have talked about Lopetegui 's carácter and controversial and manipulative behaviour, from a time before he was our manager.
I don't care about Lopetegui now, it is not me bringing his name up, or putting links up, to advertise that is he is unemployed, hard done by and he cried when he left, it was you. You defend that as an exclusive. My point of view is that interview is all over the international media again, dragging Wolverhampton Wanderers down. If you are OK with that, it is your perogative, I just wish the **** would **** off, enjoy his hard won cash and shut his arrogant self serving gob.

Are you for real? Who was it that said “ Blame Sussex Wolf for putting his advert up, lol”? Or had you forgotten your childish dig?

As for the rest of your post, it’s crap. I’ve already criticised JL for dragging Wolves through the muck. I’ve already said I don’t want him back. But you are so self obsessed with your rant, you just ignore anything that doesn’t fit your narrative.

Novawolf1

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Why? He wouldn’t take the job unless he was happy with the plans. If the club then changed the plan, then yeah, he might throw his toys out of the pram. We have the incompetent Shi in charge, who promised investment if he kept us up, then reneged on his promise. Shi can **** off.
Always enjoy your comments and respect your thoughts but can’t move myself away, at this stage, the thought that this started with Fosun way above Shi. That’s not to say that our very poor transfer investments very much sit at his door…UTW

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Well he did when the gravy train dried up at sevilla. He just waited to be sacked instead of knuckling down and using what he had. First sign of trouble with us, and leaves instead of putting a fight up. He just thinks he's in the elite, like mouriniho and conte who just keep complaining about lack of signings to take blame away from themselves.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are you for real? Who was it that said “ Blame Sussex Wolf for putting his advert up, lol”? Or had you forgotten your childish dig?

It was a joke that is why I said lol.

It was only last week you were blaming me for keep talking about him and then you put up a link that has brought everything back up. That is ironic and I find that funny.
Maybe it's OK to joke when you want to pull someone's leg, but it is childish when they do that back at you.
You like calling people names, I will keep debating the points and I will try to remember you like taking the ****, but you can't take a joke back.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was a joke that is why I said lol.

It was only last week you were blaming me for keep talking about him and then you put up a link that has brought everything back up. That is ironic and I find that funny.
Maybe it's OK to joke when you want to pull someone's leg, but it is childish when they do that back at you.
You like calling people names, I will keep debating the points and I will try to remember you like taking the ****, but you can't take a joke back.

I like to call people names? Who the **** are you to make that personal attack?

You are now on ignore before I do say something I will regret. Enjoy your personal vendetta.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always enjoy your comments and respect your thoughts but can’t move myself away, at this stage, the thought that this started with Fosun way above Shi. That’s not to say that our very poor transfer investments very much sit at his door…UTW

As you can see from my profile picture, I agree that the bigger problem is above Shi. But I believe Shi himself has made some serious errors of judgement over the years, and have said many times that he would be better to have focused on the broader FSG business and appoint an experienced football director to manage Wolves.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like to call people names? Who the **** are you to make that personal attack?

You are now on ignore before I do say something I will regret. Enjoy your personal vendetta.

If that means I won't be able to read anymore Lopetegui sob story links, I have no problem with that. Lol.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well he did when the gravy train dried up at sevilla. He just waited to be sacked instead of knuckling down and using what he had. First sign of trouble with us, and leaves instead of putting a fight up. He just thinks he's in the elite, like mouriniho and conte who just keep complaining about lack of signings to take blame away from themselves.

Well that may well be true to an extent, but while he had money, be brought Sevilla success, and I think had he been given money at Wolves, he would have brought us success. I’m a Wolves fan, so I would have liked that. The fact Shi backed out of the terms he took the job (based on Hobbs comments, not his interviews), isn’t his fault is it? Would I have liked him to knuckle down and continue with what he had, yes of course. That’s why I criticised him when he left, and why I have said many times that I don’t want him back. But that doesn’t mean I’m going to ignore the people who caused this, and that’s Shi and Fosun. Hence my profile photo and strong comments.

Wisdomwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Believe whatever you want. He’s a master of media manipulation, has agents and journalists in his back pocket to deliver his preferred narrative. Take a few minutes to research how he did the same in Span with Seville. Better still do what the lines of Ryan do by networking with the media instead of waiting on the news headlines.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Well that may well be true to an extent, but while he had money, be brought Sevilla success, and I think had he been given money at Wolves, he would have brought us success. I’m a Wolves fan, so I would have liked that. The fact Shi backed out of the terms he took the job (based on Hobbs comments, not his interviews), isn’t his fault is it? Would I have liked him to knuckle down and continue with what he had, yes of course. That’s why I criticised him when he left, and why I have said many times that I don’t want him back. But that doesn’t mean I’m going to ignore the people who caused this, and that’s Shi and Fosun. Hence my profile photo and strong comments.
Yeah I see your point of view. I'ts just I can't give any sympathy for someone who has walked out on our beloved club, whether he was lied to or not. I don't buy how he could think a club like ours would be able to spend massive every window. Also maybe we were thinking twice about giving someone who thought cunha was worth 50m any more money.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah I see your point of view. I'ts just I can't give any sympathy for someone who has walked out on our beloved club, whether he was lied to or not. I don't buy how he could think a club like ours would be able to spend massive every window. Also maybe we were thinking twice about giving someone who thought cunha was worth 50m any more money.

I agree with the first line. That’s why I am also angry with him like most Wolves fans.

The second line depends heavily on exactly what Shi promised when he was hired. As reported and essentially backed by Hobbs, Lopetegui was told money would be available if he kept Wolves up. Clearly it wasn’t, and that’s what provoked the falling out. He can’t be blamed for not being happy with that. Had money been these this summer, but then not in future windows, would the same dispute have surfaced is a moot point. Possibly yes, and whether he would be justified or not, would depend a lot on the squad available and what he and the club was trying to achieve.

The final line sort of cuts in different ways. On the one hand the fact we signed his target, at great expense, should have been credit in Shi’s trust bank for him to stay come the summer. But the fact Cunha cost 50m isn’t his fault, and I don’t think he’s worth 50m myself.

Ultimately I’m angry with JL for him walking and dragging Wolves through the mud in public. But I’m even more angry with Shi and Fosun for creating the immediate dispute which forced him out, and for the mistakes made over recent years, which created the financial crunch which meant we couldn’t match JL’s ambitions. Had we not wasted so much on mediocre players, then we would have had the financial freedom to back him properly.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Believe whatever you want. He’s a master of media manipulation, has agents and journalists in his back pocket to deliver his preferred narrative. Take a few minutes to research how he did the same in Span with Seville. Better still do what the lines of Ryan do by networking with the media instead of waiting on the news headlines.
Alright Ryan, get off your burner.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui is a football man. Shi is a businessman and Hobbs and GON are his employees.

Last edited:

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I agree with the first line. That’s why I am also angry with him like most Wolves fans.

The second line depends heavily on exactly what Shi promised when he was hired. As reported and essentially backed by Hobbs, Lopetegui was told money would be available if he kept Wolves up. Clearly it wasn’t, and that’s what provoked the falling out. He can’t be blamed for not being happy with that. Had money been these this summer, but then not in future windows, would the same dispute have surfaced is a moot point. Possibly yes, and whether he would be justified or not, would depend a lot on the squad available and what he and the club was trying to achieve.

The final line sort of cuts in different ways. On the one hand the fact we signed his target, at great expense, should have been credit in Shi’s trust bank for him to stay come the summer. But the fact Cunha cost 50m isn’t his fault, and I don’t think he’s worth 50m myself.

Ultimately I’m angry with JL for him walking and dragging Wolves through the mud in public. But I’m even more angry with Shi and Fosun for creating the immediate dispute which forced him out, and for the mistakes made over recent years, which created the financial crunch which meant we couldn’t match JL’s ambitions. Had we not wasted so much on mediocre players, then we would have had the financial freedom to back him properly.
Yeah basically it's been a shambles on all fronts. Ultimately I don't think we've got good value on the expensive players which has got us to this point. The thing that got me with jl, was that he was making out we were really uncompetitive after the sales, but other than neves at the time the sales were players he never used anyway. And The performances at rennes and man u proved we were still decent despite the squad pruning.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given that Ryan is a podcaster who has represented the BBC, he really needs to provide proof Lopetegui approached Spurs this Summer over the manager's job, or retract this. Balague opining that he would be a good fit for Spurs is not remotely the same thing as Lopetegui applying for the job, just in case any of the "Lopetegui is Balague's puppetmaster" conspiracy theorists are confused as to the difference.

I had a quick scout around the summer rumours, and there were a few reports in May that Spurs were considering hiring Lopetegui to replace Conte, and even that they would also hire Hobbs as a DoF at the same time. What I haven’t seen is any saying he’d been interviewed. Reports that a club have this or that coach on their shortlist is not unusual, and Nuno was frequently linked to clubs when we were doing well. Ryan’s comment goes further, and I’ve not seen that reported elsewhere. Back in 2021 he was also linked with Spurs, and it was reported he turned them down.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
So he's a master of media manipulation and the secret is to find out the truth by networking the media?

I troubled myself to have a little trawl back through Ryan Leister's twitter and this is what he said when Lopetegui left, which he's now turned into a job application....

Lopetegui’s media friend publicly touted him for Spurs job and brief contact was made, but Levy has a strong relationship with Postecoglou’s agent, so only one candidate was really ever in it.

So I suggest all he's got is a Belague tweet saying he was surprised he wasn't shortlisted for a job that (according to Leister's own tweet) he never had a chance of getting. You're massively overselling his 'knowledge' or network, he's just got a bit more time to read Twitter.

Last edited:

WinchWolf

Reaction score
So one person says I think it is a conspiracy and then if someone else repeats it enough, it becomes the truth.
My point is, that his work companions know his history and followed him, knowing when he leaves early they all get pay off too, for doing **** all.
No conspiracy there. Just pointing out the reality of what has happened with their time with Lopetegui.
Unfortunately this whole thread has descended on both sides to assigning motivations to all parties, when in reality none of us can ever know what happened and what their thoughts and feelings were, it is all conjecture and maybe we should all let it lie. It's history now, let's all hope GON can turn it around.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So he's a master of media manipulation and the secret is to find out the truth by networking the media?

I troubled myself to have a little trawl back through Ryan Leister's twitter and this is what he said when Lopetegui left, which he's now turned into a job application....

Lopetegui’s media friend publicly touted him for Spurs job and brief contact was made, but Levy has a strong relationship with Postecoglou’s agent, so only one candidate was really ever in it.

So I suggest all he's got is a Belague tweet saying he was surprised he wasn't shortlisted for a job that (according to Leister's own tweet) he never had a chance of getting. You're massively overselling his 'knowledge' or network, he's just got a bit more time to read Twitter.
The blokes an absolute blagger at best, least on this subject.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who was sold the wrong dream? Wolves or Lopetegui? If they had enacted the plan they sold to him (acknowledged by Hobbs) I'm sure he would still be here? You can see exactly what we are now - a club in managed decline with Gary O'Neil as manager.

It feels to me like Lopetegui was too big for us, and the club prefer Gary O'Neil as he more in line with our current ambitions. He also wont make any challenge upwards, which is what we want for the moment.

From the outside looking in that's exactly what's happening ....but the overriding question for me is what are Fosun trying to achieve with this " managed decline" ??
I'm no financial guru but surely Wolves as an asset for Fosun would be decreasing in value with each passing week?

I didn’t think much of Lopetegui but I don't think anyone could argue that O'Neil is a down grade.

WinchWolf

Reaction score
You are of course forgetting that Nuno walked away from our beloved club due to disagreements with Shi, I'd still give him sympathy and have him back!!!

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From the outside looking in that's exactly what's happening ....but the overriding question for me is what are Fosun trying to achieve with this " managed decline" ??
I'm no financial guru but surely Wolves as an asset for Fosun would be decreasing in value with each passing week?

I didn’t think much of Lopetegui but I don't think anyone could argue that O'Neil is a down grade.

If Wolves are not for sale then the current value is immaterial, ( unless you wanted to leverage it).
Apart from the big 6 clubs, if a club is 7th or 16th, then the value won’t change much, if at all, ( tv bonuses aside).
A potential buyer would look at how stable a club is and therefore continue to share tv rights.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ryan Leister is alright but I would take anything he and his mate Nocky say. Their podcast is quite good until you listen to them regularly and realise it's full of contradictions from week to week. A couple of weeks ago they started talking about how Semedo was great and he hardly ever has a bad game - last season all they did was slag him off. So much revisionism it's ridiculous, and I'm sure this is another example of this

T

TheConcourse

He should have been sacked after the first interview. I blame him for the manipulative interviews. I think the club were too soft and didn't sack him straight after the interview and I blame the club for their naivety and that they lost valuable time recruiting a new manager.
Relegation will be down to the people in charge, not Lopetegui. I have no doubt about that and no problem saying it.
Would you not sack Gary for continuing to disparage the players and the culture in the media, no?

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Wolves are not for sale then the current value is immaterial, ( unless you wanted to leverage it).
Apart from the big 6 clubs, if a club is 7th or 16th, then the value won’t change much, if at all, ( tv bonuses aside).
A potential buyer would look at how stable a club is and therefore continue to share tv rights.

And what if a club is relegated to the championship, which is quite feasible with the current set up.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui was given money , a lot of money , in the window after the world cup...we were desperate for a goalscorer,,he wasted millions of fosuns money on cuhna gomes sarabia...are you blaming fosun for that .

Back
Top Bottom