Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I can hardly wait see how fast JL leaves or loses his next job. I suspect it won’t take long.
Only because you believe the **** you read on here.

He did
4 years at youth levels with Spain
18 months at Porto
12 months undefeated with Spain's senior team, would have done the WC but for Rubiales' ego.
Yes, was hounded out quickly at Real, nobody thinks that was deliberate on his part
3 and a bit years a Sevilla

That's hardly the managerial career of a fly by night manager. Basically 5 jobs in 13 years.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say entitled they’d just want better. He’s a very good manager there’s no doubt but do truly elite managers come to a wolves squad who were bottom of the league. What other “elite” manager would have done that?
I would suggest the Lopetegui - Wolves relationship is not a normal one. He came very close to joining at the very start of the project, so perhaps he felt it was meant to be for him. He was also reportedly impressed with Jeff's tenacity, and how he was willing to wait for his father's health to improve. So, I think there was a personal aspect to the appointment, and no doubt Lop thought he would be given funds to have a proper crack at it in his first full season.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would suggest the Lopetegui - Wolves relationship is not a normal one. He came very close to joining at the very start of the project, so perhaps he felt it was meant to be for him. He was also reportedly impressed with Jeff's tenacity, and how he was willing to wait for his father's health to improve. So, I think there was a personal aspect to the appointment, and no doubt Lop thought he would be given funds to have a proper crack at it in his first full season.
Conversely he would likely take the change of tack worse as a result.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Or perhaps we were his only option at the time to come to the premier league where he clearly wants to be as he’s still in England. Wonder if he’ll take the Bournemouth job when it be in available?

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Or perhaps we were his only option at the time to come to the premier league where he clearly wants to be as he’s still in England. Wonder if he’ll take the Bournemouth job when it be in available?
I wouldn't bet on that at all.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interview with Lopetegui in the Athletic today. He’s respectful, and doesn’t throw anyone under a bus. While he says he can’t talk for our owners, he says the project has changed and implies it’s more than just FFP which drove them to got their separate ways. He is waiting for another PL job.

Interesting he again doesn't mention Shi when complimenting everything else about the club. We all know where he puts the blame for the breakdown in the relationship at.

He wouldn't have just randomly decided to do this interview so I assume he's laying the ground work for his next job. We'll be approaching November soon which is when, historically, owners start getting itchy trigger fingers.

He was the 'next gen' upgrade over Nuno that would have taken us to the next level, unfortunately just like when we first went up under Dave Jones, the owners money ran out at the worst possible time.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ryan Leister is alright but I would take anything he and his mate Nocky say. Their podcast is quite good until you listen to them regularly and realise it's full of contradictions from week to week. A couple of weeks ago they started talking about how Semedo was great and he hardly ever has a bad game - last season all they did was slag him off. So much revisionism it's ridiculous, and I'm sure this is another example of this
So they're typical footbal fans.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think we’d pretty much get our money back for Sarabia if we sold him.
Yep. Obviously a capable player. Just doesn't seem to be cut out for the PL. Would love it, if he could at least be a decent option off the bench. At the mo, though, that's not the case, I'm afraid.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He did
18 months at Porto
12 months undefeated with Spain's senior team, would have done the WC but for Rubiales' ego.
Yes, was hounded out quickly at Real, nobody thinks that was deliberate on his part

That's hardly the managerial career of a fly by night manager. Basically 5 jobs in 13 years.
In 20 years of club management before he came to Wolves, he manged as a club manager for 5 years. In those 4 jobs, he was sacked within 14 matches in 2 of them. That is 50% of his club managerial career, he was sacked with in 14 matches.
He **** on the national side, days before a world Cup final and never managed Spain in any finals.
He said he didn't want to leave the national side and it wasn't his plan, but the morning he was sacked by surprise, but was on the plane from Russia the same morning and presented at the Bernabau the same evening. He lied and said at first he knew nothing about the Madrid job, it was all done by his agent, however 7 of the Real Madrid players knew that he was the new Real Madrid manager, before it was made public.
First he said it wasn't him who told the president of the Spanish Football Federation. However, later he said it was him who told him.

Tell me which part of that is **** and we can debate it.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In 20 years of club management before he came to Wolves, he manged as a club manager for 5 years. In those 4 jobs, he was sacked within 14 matches in 2 of them. That is 50% of his club managerial career, he was sacked with in 14 matches.
He **** on the national side, days before a world Cup final and never managed Spain in any finals.
He said he didn't want to leave the national side and it wasn't his plan, but the morning he was sacked by surprise, but was on the plane from Russia the same morning and presented at the Bernabau the same evening. He lied and said at first he knew nothing about the Madrid job, it was all done by his agent, however 7 of the Real Madrid players knew that he was the new Real Madrid manager, before it was made public.
First he said it wasn't him who told the president of the Spanish Football Federation. However, later he said it was him who told him.

I can't help but suspect that you may possibly not be JL's greatest fan lol.....

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't help but suspect that you may possibly not be JL's greatest fan lol.....

I don't care about him Wiki, he has left Wolves and to be truthful I don't want to continue the debate about him. Be nice if people could let it go, or if they are going to post, not to fabricate a CV, that even Lopetegui isn't capable of.

Last edited:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get angry when people say Sarabia and Cunha were JL picks and a waste of money.
What did our recruitment set up offer him as alternatives ?
To me these were pressure purchases due to a lack of proper research for years.
And JL got us from bottom - 5 points adrift of the relegation line to 13th - thats worth a fortune. Well over £50 million.
I can see Cunha with his credentials and past record as a Brazilian International U23 goal scorer ( 21 goals in 24 matches !) being sold at a good price.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score

Well we all know Real Madrid was a car crash, it doesn't go in your narrative of his deliberately failing though does it?
The other one that makes your 50% is Rayo Vallecano and I mean, come on, he did well to last 4 months!

IMG_20231002_192740.jpg

Last edited:

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well we all know Real Madrid was a car crash, it doesn't go in your narrative of his deliberately failing though does it?
The other one that makes your 50% is Real Vallecano and I mean, come on, he did well to last 4 months!

View attachment 37642

Are you saying he managed clubs for more than 5 and a bit years in his 20 years as a club manager before he came to Wolves?

Are you saying that he wasn't sacked with in 14 matches, in 2 of his 4 first team club management jobs, which is 50% of his jobs in club management before he came to Wolves?

Oh and I never said he lost the Real Madrid, Real Vallecano, or Porto jobs on purpose. He lost them because he wasn't good enough. I said that he said he wanted to leave Seville before last season started, how do we know that, because he made it known to Monchi that he wanted to leave. Then when he didn't get the pay off and he continued as their manager, Seville had their worst start in the Liga and after Monchi sacked him, he said with hindsight. He should have sacked him, before the start of the season. So, he ****ed over Spain, days before the World final and he threw his toys out of the pram at Seville, very similar to what happened at Wolves.

Oh yes, he lasted 9 matches at Real Vallecano. His next club was Oporto, which was a Mendes team, 11 whole years after he was sacked at Real Vallecano. He miraculously got a record spend, eventhough, his only job was before he went to Oporto was 11 years before where he lasted 9 matches.
Just shows how important Mendes is.

Last edited:

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Are you saying he managed clubs for more than 5 and a bit years in his 20 years as a club manager before he came to Wolves?

Are you saying that he wasn't sacked with in 14 matches, in 2 of his 4 first team club management jobs, which is 50% of his jobs in club management before he came to Wolves?

Oh and I never said he lost the Real Madrid, Real Vallecano, or Porto jobs on purpose. He lost them because he wasn't good enough. I said that he said he wanted to leave Seville before last season started, how do we know that, because he made it known to Monchi that he wanted to leave. Then when he didn't get the pay off and he continued as their manager, Seville had their worst start in the Liga and after Monchi sacked him, he said with hindsight. He should have sacked him, before the start of the season. So, he ****ed over Spain, days before the World final and he threw his toys out of the pram at Seville, very similar to what happened at Wolves.

Oh yes, he lasted 9 matches at Real Vallecano. His next club was Oporto, which was a Mendes team, 11 whole years after he was sacked at Real Vallecano. He miraculously got a record spend, eventhough, his only job was before he went to Oporto was 11 years before where he lasted 9 matches.
Just shows how important Mendes is.
Well Mendes is important of course. Given he's actually got a fairly short list of managers on his books nobody doubts that we have picked off that list. Did Lage deserve the Wolves job? Did Zenga?

The "5 years in club management in 20 years" line is just silly. He was managing internationally. If we appoint Southgate next Summer, will you be on here saying 3 years in club management in 15 years? Porto wasn't off the back of 11 years out of work, he had been doing all that international youth management as you know.

It's probably fair to say that Mendes got him into Real Madrid above his grade, so he failed there and got sacked. So what does that prove? Mendes looked after him, Saunders played golf with Morgan, bad decisions get made every day.

I don't know the ins and outs of Vallecano, but it was obviously a car crash at the time. Holding that against him seems a bit harsh with no more detail. So you're really just using that to back up your Madrid point.

Thing is people on here didn't meet him with all that baggage, we knew we were lucky to get him. OK, some were annoyed by the way he left, but for my money that's because they view things as Wolves fans. It is absolutely clear that he was lied to, some people just think he should have stayed anyway.

Anyway I've bored myself to death and I know you don't want to discuss it (even though you decided to 'correct' my already correct facts with your own spin).

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He did
18 months at Porto

Your kidding?……You think I believe everything on here. Gawd that’s rich, especially when I practically never believe anything without credible proof.

Let me ask you this….do you believe Jeff lied to JL?

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Your kidding?……You think I believe everything on here. Gawd that’s rich, especially when I practically never believe anything without credible proof.

I don't know if he lied, but something that he told him turned out not to be true.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

And yet you are continually voicing your "suspicions".

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The "5 years in club management in 20 years" line is just silly. He was managing internationally. If we appoint Southgate next Summer, will you be on here saying 3 years in club management in 15 years? Porto wasn't off the back of 11 years out of work, he had been doing all that international youth management as you know.

The point being, no club would touch him as a first team manager in 11 years, between the Real Vallecano job and the Porto job, if he had been offered a first team club manager job, of course he would have taken it, but he was never offered a job, which is the point.
Youth team international management in Spain pays very poorly compared with a Liga job. The reason he was Spanish youth team manager, because nobody wanted him as a first team club manager.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
For me, JL didn't want to stick it out with the boys--his prerogative and he probably had good reasons for making that choice. But, he didn't want Wolves. Therefore, he's dead to me.
1696291907408.png
giphy.gif

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just had a thought.... Man Utd? No rumours or anything, but I'm throwing this out there....

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just had a thought.... Man Utd? No rumours or anything, but I'm throwing this out there....
Ten Haag isn’t at risk at the minute from what I have heard.

They have a load of injuries and that is buying him some time.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Took the words out of my mouth. Yanited can have him!

£100’s millions to spend. They can afford his massive entourage and he can bugger off after 12 months of moaning with a massive pay off.

Oh and everyone will be to blame but him!

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ten Haag isn’t at risk at the minute from what I have heard.

They have a load of injuries and that is buying him some time.
They’ve still got a great starting line up, though.

Onana in goal and Mount just haven’t clicked. Maybe they will in time, but players with their experience should be oven ready. Mount in particular looks pretty awful in their engine room.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This isn’t bashing JL but if Ten Hag gets the push and JL gets the gig then the United fans will be up in arms. He’s actually decent for where they find themselves currently but as a fan base they still think still they can compete and they’ll want a “bigger” name.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They’ve still got a great starting line up, though.

Onana in goal and Mount just haven’t clicked. Maybe they will in time, but players with their experience should be oven ready. Mount in particular looks pretty awful in their engine room.
Onana won’t….. he isn’t a “top 6” quality keeper. £58m wasted on that one…….

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This isn’t bashing JL but if Ten Hag gets the push and JL gets the gig then the United fans will be up in arms. He’s actually decent for where they find themselves currently but as a fan base they still think still they can compete and they’ll want a “bigger” name.
I’m not quite sure who they’d accept with the possible exception of Zidane.

Back
Top Bottom