Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Wolves are not for sale then the current value is immaterial, ( unless you wanted to leverage it).
Apart from the big 6 clubs, if a club is 7th or 16th, then the value won’t change much, if at all, ( tv bonuses aside).
A potential buyer would look at how stable a club is and therefore continue to share tv rights.

Think for a highly leveraged investment company like Fosun, the value of all their assets is usually paramount. However, despite some improvements in the picture, what is even more pressing now is having sufficient cash to service their debts. So pumping cash into Wolves to cover a shortfall is highly undesirable, and possibly infeasible. In that context, forcing Wolves to operate entirely within its own cash flow and borrowing, while preserving PL status, to protect the asset value, makes sense. That’s what we’ve seen this year, and why FFP was not the whole story.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think for a highly leveraged investment company like Fosun, the value of all their assets is usually paramount. However, despite some improvements in the picture, what is even more pressing now is having sufficient cash to service their debts. So pumping cash into Wolves to cover a shortfall is highly undesirable, and possibly infeasible. In that context, forcing Wolves to operate entirely within its own cash flow and borrowing, while preserving PL status, to protect the asset value, makes sense. That’s what we’ve seen this year, and why FFP was not the whole story.
But putting O Neil in charge and hoping there are 3 worse teams doesn’t make sense as it’s a massive risk.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But putting O Neil in charge and hoping there are 3 worse teams doesn’t make sense as it’s a massive risk.

Yep, completely agree. Anyone who looked at the stats for Bournemouth last season would, or should, have worried that he’s not the right coach to keep us up on a shoestring.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course it is.

He is our manager and as long as he is, I'll back him and I always want Wolves to win, whoever the manager is.
The difference between the interviews, between Lopetegui and GON, is that the GON interviews our often in desperation. He is trying his best and that may not be good enough, which is as far as I will go, but Lopetegui 's interviews are often staged, calculated and manipulative.
GON interviews, are because he is doing his best and he wants to be at Wolves. Lopetegui's interviews, since the end of last season, are because he didn't want to be here, he wanted out and he wants to be paid off. Lopetegui's interviews were all about him and **** Wolverhampton Wanderers and I only care about Wolverhampton Wanderers.
Sadly, it was always going to happen that way. That is Julen Lopetegui.

WinchWolf

Reaction score
He is our manager and as long as he is, I'll back him and I always want Wolves to win, whoever the manager is.
The difference between the interviews, between Lopetegui and GON, is that the GON interviews our often in desperation. He is trying his best and that may not be good enough, which is as far as I will go, but Lopetegui 's interviews are often staged, calculated and manipulative.
GON interviews, are because he is doing his best and he wants to be at Wolves. Lopetegui's interviews, since the end of last season, are because he didn't want to be here, he wanted out and he wants to be paid off. Lopetegui's interviews were all about him and **** Wolverhampton Wanderers and I only care about Wolverhampton Wanderers.
Would you not think that GON interviews are staged, calculated and manipulative since he is telling a completely incorrect narrative. He is trying to ensure that when he is sacked he can point elsewhere for the blame? The rest of your post is purely subjective as just like my first sentence it is an opinion, none of us know the true motivations of the people involved.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would you not think that GON interviews are staged, calculated and manipulative since he is telling a completely incorrect narrative. He is trying to ensure that when he is sacked he can point elsewhere for the blame? The rest of your post is purely subjective as just like my first sentence it is an opinion, none of us know the true motivations of the people involved.
I just think he wants to be a success at Wolves and does his best, which may not be good enough and I will leave that to others to decide.
GON is under a lot of pressure and wants to be at Wolves and Lopetegui never gave a **** about Wolves. GON says things sometimes, because of lack of experience that I don't like, but I don't think he does this out of malice, but desperation. Lopetegui has made a career out of being calculated and manipulative, hence the reason I couldn't stand him before he came.

T

TheConcourse

I love how you’re absolutely committed to Lopetegui staging every detail, but GON is being truly authentic.

Alternative view: GON is so far out of his depth that he’s in self-preservation mode because he knows he going to get the bullet in the next couple of weeks?

I think Lop was calculated towards the end, but this idea that he took that approach from day one is pure conjecture.

One more point on JL: it’s pretty clear that the club wanted him to go after the interview in May, but Jeff obviously played for time, waited for an offer to come in for him so we could avoid paying him out.

That’s almost as clear as day now, right?

And here we are, still talking about JL, GON, Hobbs - Jeff is getting away with murder.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love how you’re absolutely committed to Lopetegui staging every detail, but GON is being truly authentic.

Alternative view: GON is so far out of his depth that he’s in self-preservation mode because he knows he going to get the bullet in the next couple of weeks?

I think Lop was calculated towards the end, but this idea that he took that approach from day one is pure conjecture.

One more point on JL: it’s pretty clear that the club wanted him to go after the interview in May, but Jeff obviously played for time, waited for an offer to come in for him so we could avoid paying him out.

That’s almost as clear as day now, right?

And here we are, still talking about JL, GON, Hobbs - Jeff is getting away with murder.

Firstly it was pretty clear from the first interview that he wanted to go and yes the club played for time, hoping they wouldn't have to make a big pay off.
I have said that he should have been sacked straight away, but I don't have to pay his pay off. Ultimately, they saw what happened at Seville with Lopetegui, when he did the same thing, but Seville decided to keep him, which as Monchi said was a mistake.
It could turn out that we tried to save money, but will lose a fortune, only time will tell.

Do you now agree, that he was looking to be sacked by going public in his first interview?

Last edited:

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After all the effort to get JL they totally ****ed him over.

The problem isn't JL or GON the problem is Fosun. They haven't a clue about running a football club.

They chucked their lot in with Mendes and he grabbed the opportunity to take sweets off a child.

Maybe they wanted to stop giving sweets to a child, after all Lopetegui is a Mendes manager and Mendes managers often buy Mendes players. If the club no longer want Mendes players, what is the point of Mendes having a manager at that club?

T

TheConcourse

Firstly it was pretty clear from the first interview that he wanted to go and yes the club played for time, hoping they wouldn't have to make a big pay off.
I have said that he should have been sacked straight away, but I don't have to pay his pay off. Ultimately, they saw what happened at Seville with Lopetegui, when he did the same thing, but Seville decided to keep him, which as Monchi said was a mistake.
It could turn out that we tried to save money, but will lose a fortune, only time will tell.

Do you now agree, that he was looking to be sacked by going public in his first interview?
The interview in May? I think it was after Arsenal. At that stage, no, I don’t think he was angling to get sacked.

Hobbs released a statement after that discussing transfer strategies that fundamentally changed. At that point (post-Arsenal game), I think JL was still on board.

The interview with GB during pre-season: yes. I think he’d had enough at that stage and wanted to send a signal to the market.

I also don’t think Jeff would have been too concerned about that. He would have wanted the market to know too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
For me, the problem is a) choosing not to back Lopetegui and b) once that decision was made, choosing GON.

Once they made the decision not to back Lopetegui, they needed to identify and bring in the best possible replacement for him, explaining the constraints and future expectations for backing to everyone they approached. Then they should have brought in the best one that agreed to work with those constraints.

I will never be convinced that GON was the very best available manager who would have been willing to work within those constraints.

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
I think the reason for your bemusement is that you are adamant Lopetegui engineered his exit, callously shafting us on the eve of the season. I would suggest there are a lot of people who disagree with that, pointing to the various revelations since. In terms of character, it's worth noting that Lopetegui carries himself publicly with magnitudes more dignity than O'Neill has so far. He hasn't chucked anyone under the bus, he has only expressed appreciation of the people he worked with (except perhaps Jeff). O'Neill on the other hand, is blatantly lying to us every time he loses by blaming his team's poor performances on Lopetegui's set up.
Well said sir ✅

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui was given money , a lot of money , in the window after the world cup...we were desperate for a goalscorer,,he wasted millions of fosuns money on cuhna gomes sarabia...are you blaming fosun for that .

Since when did any coach under Fosun have complete control over transfers, either the selection of players, or how much we’re willing to play?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
They are certainly not the goalscorer we needed are they
It's bizarre to think our January transfers were a mistake when without them we'd probably have been relegated even with Lopetegui. Yes, Sarabia has been a huge disappointment, Cunha can't play as the 9 that Lopetegui seemed to think he might. But Dawson has made a massive difference to the defence, Lemina and Gomes basically replaced Neves before he went for half the price, Cunha is still our best attacking option even if we probably paid a bit of a January supplement and delayed payment premium.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We respect that Lopetegui kept us up that’s it.

He did his best. Promised the earth lied to about budget and funds to come here.

We move forward he will soon be Man Utd or Chelsea manager no doubt Mendes has something lined up. Hence the hanging around the area

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He did his best. Promised the earth lied to about budget and funds to come here.

We move forward he will soon be Man Utd or Chelsea manager no doubt Mendes has something lined up. Hence the hanging around the area
Chelsea and united fans would be absolutely up in arms if JL rocked up.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I can hardly wait see how fast JL leaves or loses his next job. I suspect it won’t take long.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why? He's won a European trophy compared to those two who haven't.

What an entitled bunch.
I wouldn’t say entitled they’d just want better. He’s a very good manager there’s no doubt but do truly elite managers come to a wolves squad who were bottom of the league. What other “elite” manager would have done that?

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say entitled they’d just want better. He’s a very good manager there’s no doubt but do truly elite managers come to a wolves squad who were bottom of the league. What other “elite” manager would have done that?
Were ant asked and declined? We don't know.

Back
Top Bottom