Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wasn't that impressed with Lopetegui, I couldn't tell you what style he plays.
Maybe it was the situation he was in at Wolves, but i thought he treated every match as a separate project and totally chopped and changed to suit.
We had some great wins, but some terrible defeats where we were nowhere close to being competitive.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
We had Nuno, who was largely a fan of one highly drilled plan, and Lage who generally had a plan but never reacted to anything that happened in a game, and now O'Neil, who has also been criticised for being too slow to see opposition changed. The one manager that we've had who was constantly tweaking formations to find a weakness in the opposition, the one who used his bench effectively to affect games and protect players from injury, is now constantly vilified on here because so many posters had their egos damaged by the way he left.

Oh I know blah, blah, Brighton, blah, blah, blah Arsenal.....

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wasn't that impressed with Lopetegui, I couldn't tell you what style he plays.
Maybe it was the situation he was in at Wolves, but i thought he treated every match as a separate project and totally chopped and changed to suit.
We had some great wins, but some terrible defeats where we were nowhere close to being competitive.
Fair comment but I felt he did a great job under circumstances. His use of subs to effect a game was brillant at times. But yes he didn't seem to mould a side that GON has this season.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Is this the equivalent of 'Bournemouth fans think O'Neil is a fraud' etc.

It's brilliant that some genius reckons Cunha (who he persuaded Shi to buy) was ignored. I mean there were clearly issues around RAN, but none of us really know the ins and outs of that.

Let's just have some honesty, after Rennes everyone was just bursting to see what we could do this season. Nobody was on here calling Lopetegui a fraud.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It's brilliant that some genius reckons Cunha (who he persuaded Shi to buy) was ignored. I mean there were clearly issues around RAN, but none of us really know the ins and outs of that.

Let's just have some honesty, after Rennes everyone was just bursting to see what we could do this season. Nobody was on here calling Lopetegui a fraud.

It's astounding the lack of respect he gets.

He was a victim of his own success. If we survived on the final day in dramatic fashion, it would've been heroic given the situation he inherited. Bottom at Christmas, a big squad and he managed to get a response from January recruits straight away.

As it transpires, he was that good, we were safe before the season ended.

As you say, the Rennes friendly was hugely encouraging, as we played football we hadn't seen for a long, long time.

Thankfully, O'Neil has proven himself to be a great manager for us as well, but Lopetegui's work was superb.

He would be a fantastic appointment for West Ham, like he was for us. I'd put it on a similar level to Villa getting Emery if West Ham do get him in.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes lopetugui was bang on , the squad wasn't good enough.....O'Neil has done really well but it's blantalanty obvious had we had our current injury crisis in September or October we would have been in a whole heap of trouble....we've managed to guide ourselves through the gamble well but it could have been different.....our first 11/13 is good, but overall the squad is weak,...

Last edited:

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui deserves not being liked for his carry on here ( despite him genuine concerns about what he was promised and how he had the goalposts moved on him more than once ), but its idiotic if people think he didnt do a brilliant job keeping us up. We would have played different football this season under him, but looking at pre season we would still have been entertaining and we would be more than likely in the same position as we are now.

I do get though why he isnt liked.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Gee whiz, that Cunha looks miles better now with a pre-season and full season behind him, than he did in the half-season when he first moved to a different country, straight into a relegation battle - that must mean that JL is a crap manager!" Bubble Fortuna was evidently at the back of the queue when they were handing out brains.

To be honest, Hammers fans would be moaning if Klopp was touted to join them. Worst fans in the league in my opinion.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui connected the team and the fans in a moment of dire need and desperation. We were rock bottom and getting beat easily. He switched the narrative, made the fans and players believe, and achieved a superb run of results, with a couple of shockers here and there in between.

He then acted like a clown and left in a hissy fit, souring his reputation with us massively.

But let's not let how it ended change the thinking of what he actually achieved.

The football wasn't great, but we believed. Southampton away is one of the best away days I've ever had. 1-0 down and down to 10 men against a relegation rival, pure desire and connection between the fans and players on the pitch got us over the line.

He made us believe and, as trivial as it sounds, it meant we sung for the team and manager in a way we hadn't done since Nuno, and will likely never do with Gary and the current lot. For me, that part is really important. Our away ends are largely dead, and the home atmosphere is only good in an ironic way when we're likely to get battered (e.g. City and Arsenal home). It's pretty dull in 50-50 games or ones we should be winning on paper.

We've played really well at times this season with a full-strength side, but Julen would've got us better results in the past five or six weeks when we've been up against it. Depends what you want.

For West Ham, they need a big name and a connection, so it'd probably work. But if they want champagne football, it's unlikely.

Personally think he'd be a good fit.

JJ59

Reaction score
Lopetegui deserves not being liked for his carry on here ( despite him genuine concerns about what he was promised and how he had the goalposts moved on him more than once ), but its idiotic if people think he didnt do a brilliant job keeping us up. We would have played different football this season under him, but looking at pre season we would still have been entertaining and we would be more than likely in the same position as we are now.

Overall keeping us in the EPL was a massive plus which outweighed the negatives and always will do so. However I was relieved when he went as I was frustrated to continually read rumours that he wasn't happy and talking to journalists meant he was advertising his availability to the football world. He also denigrated players to the press, the team often appeared to lack team spirit. When you consider the attempts made too lure him to WV1, the money the club spent to support him and then his decision to depart at very short. Plus look at the absence of any visible player development under him, players who are now in the sights of top 6 clubs. So quite a lot of unwelcome baggage accompanied Loppy.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some serious revisionism going on with some. Lop took over a side bottom of the league and in disarray after almost half a season of Bruno Lage, and got us organised, with some very good results on the way. Yes, there were a few shockers, but our squad had some big deficiencies last season, even after the improvements we'd made. Talking of which, the January window he would have had a big part in has proved to be a very important one for us, even now - Cunha, Dawson, Lemina, Gomes, Sarabia. All have added a lot more balance and ability to our squad.

I don't blame him for leaving. Yes, it should have been handled better but there's no doubt the goalposts were shifted and the club ****ed him about a fair bit. I don't trust Shi whatsoever, it all should've been sorted before we even kicked a ball in preseason. That Rennes friendly provided a lot of promise, but you can't have someone in the dugout who clearly isn't happy to be there and is constantly unhappy in the press.

If we'd been able to offer him the same backing as Villa have Emery then I think we'd be looking at another European trip next season. After all, GON has done well arriving a few days before the season started, zero signings in January and what is ultimately a paper thin squad. Will be interesting to see how he does at West Ham if the rumours are true.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes he does get a mixed reception, but sure as eggs are eggs he'd not be well received by some if he returned to Molineux as an opposition coach.
It's what we do, Jota being a prime example. Even Nuno got it in the neck from someone on here post Forest game.

It's the way of the world. There's just some angry folk out there.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Yes he does get a mixed reception, but sure as eggs are eggs he'd not be well received by some if he returned to Molineux as an opposition coach.
It's what we do, Jota being a prime example. Even Nuno got it in the neck from someone on here post Forest game.

It's the way of the world. There's just some angry folk out there.
Certainly, although as you'll know he was clapped and had his name sung at the end of the Forest game. I sympathise with Lopetegui given how he was treated, I also understand why others see it differently. What is beyond discussion is that he did a good job when he was here though, I'm not having people rewriting history on that (sometimes the same ones moaning we've relied too much on a small pool of talented players and didn't strengthen the squad).

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
West Ham fans are stroppy and entitled.
So is Lopetegui.

Having said that, people can say what they like but he is an outstanding manager and would improve them hugely.

Where all these West Ham fans are concerned, everyone join me in a burst of

Champions of England, You'll never sing that ;););)

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We had Nuno, who was largely a fan of one highly drilled plan, and Lage who generally had a plan but never reacted to anything that happened in a game, and now O'Neil, who has also been criticised for being too slow to see opposition changed. The one manager that we've had who was constantly tweaking formations to find a weakness in the opposition, the one who used his bench effectively to affect games and protect players from injury, is now constantly vilified on here because so many posters had their egos damaged by the way he left.

Oh I know blah, blah, Brighton, blah, blah, blah Arsenal.....
Spot on.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agreed.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I did read one comment from a West Ham fan calling Lopetegui the cheap option. I don't think Lopetegui would share that view. I think he would be a good choice for West Ham. He would still flirt with bigger clubs across Europe and his relationship with David Sullivan would be interesting, but Lopetegui did a good job at Sevilla and Wolves. I could seeing him doing well there.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He was a victim of his own success. If we survived on the final day in dramatic fashion, it would've been heroic given the situation he inherited. Bottom at Christmas, a big squad and he managed to get a response from January recruits straight away.

As you say, the Rennes friendly was hugely encouraging, as we played football we hadn't seen for a long, long time.

Thankfully, O'Neil has proven himself to be a great manager for us as well, but Lopetegui's work was superb.

He would be a fantastic appointment for West Ham, like he was for us. I'd put it on a similar level to Villa getting Emery if West Ham do get him in.
GON benefitted hugely from the foundations JL left behind, despite his protestations he inherited a mess, which he didn't.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Lop at West Ham should be bloody hilarious. God, this is perfect. Cue hilarity in how that ends lol.

Big Mack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui connected the team and the fans in a moment of dire need and desperation. We were rock bottom and getting beat easily. He switched the narrative, made the fans and players believe, and achieved a superb run of results, with a couple of shockers here and there in between.

He then acted like a clown and left in a hissy fit, souring his reputation with us massively.

But let's not let how it ended change the thinking of what he actually achieved.

The football wasn't great, but we believed. Southampton away is one of the best away days I've ever had. 1-0 down and down to 10 men against a relegation rival, pure desire and connection between the fans and players on the pitch got us over the line.

He made us believe and, as trivial as it sounds, it meant we sung for the team and manager in a way we hadn't done since Nuno, and will likely never do with Gary and the current lot. For me, that part is really important. Our away ends are largely dead, and the home atmosphere is only good in an ironic way when we're likely to get battered (e.g. City and Arsenal home). It's pretty dull in 50-50 games or ones we should be winning on paper.

We've played really well at times this season with a full-strength side, but Julen would've got us better results in the past five or six weeks when we've been up against it. Depends what you want.

For West Ham, they need a big name and a connection, so it'd probably work. But if they want champagne football, it's unlikely.

Agree with what you say Sketchead apart from the 'He acted like a clown and left in a hissy fit'

He informed the board he would not be staying on after the Celtic friendly but agreed to stay on until a new manager was appointed. For that he never receives the recognition.

That interview with the Spanish journalist mate of his did him no favours, but it was clear from that, that players were being sold without his knowledge.

Good luck to him.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree with what you say Sketchead apart from the 'He acted like a clown and left in a hissy fit'

He informed the board he would not be staying on after the Celtic friendly but agreed to stay on until a new manager was appointed. For that he never receives the recognition.

That interview with the Spanish journalist mate of his did him no favours, but it was clear from that, that players were being sold without his knowledge.

Good luck to him.
Fair points mate. Some of which I’d forgotten. For me, he was unprofessional and I think he always felt as a club, we weren’t big enough for him.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui ain’t that bad but let’s be honest is he going to get them dinosaur like players improving? It’s same as Nuno at forest the players are too suited to certain styles and it isn’t there footprint really. Takes a mass clear out to put any kind of identity on a team. Many clubs are struggling to offload players on big wages as Forest and Chelsea are about to find out

Thing is with Lopetegui he’s a defensive minded counter attacking manager would he improve West Ham? Maybe a little I’m not really sure. He wouldn’t go there without being promised money 100%

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Good luck to him.
How did that relate to his payoff? Surely if he just walks then he gets nothing.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Baffled at your comments on our away ends under Loppy, it’s certainly not how I remember it. (Southampton aside, brilliant day).

Can remember standing behind the goal at Forest bored ****less and just counting the minutes till the game ended. Much the same in the second half at Leicester. Can remember being boiling hot under the roof at Old Trafford watching us fail to get anywhere near their goal while the lads in front of me spent most the afternoon tatting on Instagram. Less said about Brighton and Arsenal the better.

2 points from our last 8 away games under JL, the match was honestly the low point of the day.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He did have a massive (for Wolves) January window to help him out. And he went public with his ‘this team will get relegated without more investment’ , doing a sneaky interview criticising the duplicity of Shi in particular although no names were mentioned. He had a point, of course, particularly being misled, or lied to, but he didn’t want to work with the squad that he had had a hand in starting to develop. GON has proven the players aren’t as bad as Lopetegui made out although European contenders was never really a possibility, which ultimately is what Lopetegui’s beef was.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He did do a good job, he was just an absolute *****. He took a massively under achieving squad, added £70m to it and got a tune out of them to turn the season around, fair play to him for that. But the way he handled himself was disgraceful.

Emery has multiple European cups to his name, plus a league and cups in France. They are on different levels.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He did have a massive (for Wolves) January window to help him out. And he went public with his ‘this team will get relegated without more investment’ , doing a sneaky interview criticising the duplicity of Shi in particular although no names were mentioned. He had a point, of course, particularly being misled, or lied to, but he didn’t want to work with the squad that he had had a hand in starting to develop. GON has proven the players aren’t as bad as Lopetegui made out although European contenders was never really a possibility, which ultimately is what Lopetegui’s beef was.

I didn't/don't mind his interviews, as I believe he's in the right. So, it was his way of trying to force Wolves' hand, a last roll of the dice. But, I do get why some are annoyed with it.

He did have a big January window but it didn't guarantee anything, and we have to remember how bad the mood was when he came in. Look at the teams that went down as well, a lot of money and quality was in those squads. It was an incredibly tough year.

I'm not sure he ever said this side would get relegated, but he obviously wasn't happy with the group and his decision has been vindicated because the squad wasn't good enough to achieve what he wanted.

Lopetegui isn't starting out his career like O'Neil. He didn't need to do the hard yards again. His CV is good enough to walk into a club that will meet his ambitions, and we wouldn't.

I actually respect him for walking away. He was lied to, he left. He did go on a bit too much in between, but ultimately he stuck to his guns.

Back
Top Bottom