Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lets discuss Fabio and his future .

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I`m still thinking (hoping) Fabio will come good. He can score goals and I think he will. He is a starter at Ipswich and a full 90 mins.
On borrowed time imo. If he doesn't produce in the next few games he is a luxury we can't afford

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree. He certainly hasn’t improved.
I thought he looked ok when he started good even, took his goals v West Brom and Burnley well - if they had been winners it would have done wonders for his confidence and im sure we’d have a different player on our hands. Such is life I guess as the elite players keep going.

I remember reading interviews with Figo and Vieri saying they were the WORST players in their respective youth teams but that they were the most determined and resilient. I think we lack a lot of that as we’ve gone for players with a lot of talent but not the best mentality. Semedo is a great example of this.

I understand why this has happened as a team of our size cannot get players with both, they are the best players in the world. But management needs to create the right blend of those that will move on and those who are less talented guys but strong enough mentally in the group to keep standards up. We had that with Saiss Coady Mouts even Ruddy in the squad. Not replacing those players has compounded the issue with the other type.

Last edited:

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree. He certainly hasn’t improved.
Well neither has Wolves regarding creating reasonable scoring chances.

I do think it’s a pity that Fabio or Sasa didn’t start yesterday. They might have done well with Neto playing superbly.
By the time Fabio came on, the team had lost their mojo and Fabio, like Raul before him, had to go hunting for the ball at times.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
he seems to be a bit of a light weight in the Premier, defenders bully him, but I think in time he will come good, only trouble we don't have that luxury of time do we,

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The best goal scorers instinctively know where to be (not convinced his positional play is all that). Top strikers can live off scraps and make things happen.

Fabio is just like most of our other Portuguese signings (Ruben, the exception). They have a different mentality, probably to do with the environment in which they played as youngsters.

They have the skills and attributes that suit a league where you have that extra few seconds on the ball. Technically, still very good players but not used to the pace and physicality of the PL. Very few seem to be able to adapt adequately. There is a reason why the most successful PL teams do not have an abundance of Portuguese players in their squad.

Our mistake,Imo, was investing too heavily in that market. The more we employed, the more lightweight we became. That imbalance is now being adjusted. Unfortunately. it could be too late.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I`m still thinking (hoping) Fabio will come good. He can score goals and I think he will. He is a starter at Ipswich and a full 90 mins.
If Gary watched what we watched yesterday,he won't , even be traveling to Ipswich.
I'm going , I ll take my boots , if Silva can get a game, so can i

Sephiroth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It wasnt too long ago that Hwang was being butchered to bits on here. These days he’d be in most people’s starting XI.

The lad is still young and having cameo roles in games.

Never seen a fanbase bitch and moan and young players like we seem to do. Its not his fault Jeff paid silly money for him. If it was Fraser, he wouldnt be getting the same treatment.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He will come good when we play well, like in the 1st half

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Towards the end, he looked like he was hiding yesterday. Standing by defenders then throwing his arms up when not passed to. Got in the way of our own players, too. Something he has done regularly during his matches here. I don't think his positionig is that good at all.

Having talent isn't good enough. You have to have talent to be a professional player at any level. He shows no more talent than many players we could have picked up from the Championship or several other European Leagues for a fifth of his fee at most.

I saw plenty of good movement and runs tbh. I still think its more he just isnt the right type of striker for us regardless of his ability. I dont think O'Neill rates Sasa who would probably fit what we want better, not buying this lack of fitness nonsense.

Severnup

Groupie
Reaction score
It wasnt too long ago that Hwang was being butchered to bits on here. These days he’d be in most people’s starting XI.

Never seen a fanbase bitch and moan and young players like we seem to do. Its not his fault Jeff paid silly money for him. If it was Fraser, he wouldnt be getting the same treatment.
I don't think the criticism is aimed at Fabio personally. Guess fans are venting their anger towards whoever was responsible for his signature in a roundabout sort of way.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I don't agree. Because Fraser didn't cost £35m, much of the fanbase won't give him a fraction of the leeway that they've given Fabio. We've got a huge amount of cash resting on Fabio coming good. Managers often daren't drop their most expensive players, however much they struggle. If Fraser doesn't score in 2 or 3 sub appearances, he'll disappear and be forgotten. Regardless of "intelligent runs" or "not the right kind of service".

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don't agree. Because Fraser didn't cost £35m, much of the fanbase won't give him a fraction of the leeway that they've given Fabio. We've got a huge amount of cash resting on Fabio coming good. Managers often daren't drop their most expensive players, however much they struggle. If Fraser doesn't score in 2 or 3 sub appearances, he'll disappear and be forgotten. Regardless of "intelligent runs" or "not the right kind of service".
Agree with this. I think the comments in general re Silva have been incredibly supportive and cut him an awful lot of slack. Throughout his 3 years at the club, we’ve struggled to score goals and unfortunately there’s still very little to suggest that he’s going to help address this.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought he looked ok when he started good even, took his goals v West Brom and Burnley well - if they had been winners it would have done wonders for his confidence and im sure we’d have a different player on our hands. Such is life I guess as the elite players keep going.

I remember reading interviews with Figo and Vieri saying they were the WORST players in their respective youth teams but that they were the most determined and resilient. I think we lack a lot of that as we’ve gone for players with a lot of talent but not the best mentality. Semedo is a great example of this.

I understand why this has happened as a team of our size cannot get players with both, they are the best players in the world. But management needs to create the right blend of those that will move on and those who are less talented guys but strong enough mentally in the group to keep standards up. We had that with Saiss Coady Mouts even Ruddy in the squad. Not replacing those players has compounded the issue with the other type.
Bizarre how you managed to put the knife in Semedo, don’t see the comparison, Fabio is a show pony, in his last 2 appearances he looks like a boy playing with men, he let himself and his manager down on Saturday, lost any optimism I had for him, if we can get anything for him in January- take it.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I do think it’s a pity that Fabio or Sasa didn’t start yesterday. They might have done well with Neto playing superbly.
By the time Fabio came on, the team had lost their mojo and Fabio, like Raul before him, had to go hunting for the ball at times.
If Fabio had started instead of Cunha, we wouldn’t have one, let alone the chances we missed.

GigaWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've not been overly supportive of fabio thus far due to his goals tally but I honestly believe he would have buried cunhas chance. Needs to start. Put cunha behind him and hwang as a runner and we might start to get some joy

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Haven’t been today as are away. But…in my opinion Fabio’s not good enough at this level and should have been moved on and replaced. At least with someone that runs around a bit and makes an effort…that would be a start…
His pressing was atrocious and that just requires effort not skill.
The number of times he was far more advanced than Neto to press Allison and Neto was left to do all the work was embarrassing and Fabio had by far the fresher legs.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've not been overly supportive of fabio thus far due to his goals tally but I honestly believe he would have buried cunhas chance. Needs to start. Put cunha behind him and hwang as a runner and we might start to get some joy
I think he would have done, too. But in your formation, where does Neto fit, currently our best attacking player and creator, and the reason why the ball got to Cunha in the first place?

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His pressing was atrocious and that just requires effort not skill.
The number of times he was far more advanced than Neto to press Allison and Neto was left to do all the work was embarrassing and Fabio had by far the fresher legs.
This.
He jogs around the pitch making token gestures ..and up against an 18 year old defender making his debut ..he's just lazy

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bizarre how you managed to put the knife in Semedo, don’t see the comparison, Fabio is a show pony, in his last 2 appearances he looks like a boy playing with men, he let himself and his manager down on Saturday, lost any optimism I had for him, if we can get anything for him in January- take it.
Yes I am really ‘putting the knife in’.

Do you think Semedo’s mentality matches his ability?

fev123

Groupie
Reaction score
What really stands out is his performances started out this season as 6ish and gradually deteriorated till Saturday was a 2. Has he lost confidence (again), does he not want to be here? I cant really think of too many performances worse than Saturdays and the club/manager are in a really difficult position with him in lots of ways. Unless a big change happens we have to cut our losses.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Couldn’t we have got him for less than £10m the summer before we signed him?

Reaction score
I think he did ok on Saturday bearing in mind he came on when Liverpool were dominant and service to our forwards was sparse at best.
Just look how much ball Neto saw second half. Fabio did try and close down but it was a futile process as he had no support from his tired team mates (Gomes Lemina and JRB)
I still believe he can come good but will need to be played alongside Sasa to show it with goals.
When we're going to see Sasa contribute significantly god alone knows. If we recall Lopetegui commented on our lack of strikers at the beginning of the season by saying Sasa wouldn't be fit for months yet.It is becoming apparent he was correct.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm losing faith, if I am honest. I don't decry his work ethic but the ball just seems to bounce off him every time. I like his enthusiasm but every 50/50 or challenge he's all over the opposing player and gives away the foul. Obviously he never had a chance come to him in the Liverpool game but at Palace he did and it was panicked thrash at the ball which sliced high, wide and not very handsome.

I just don't know what to think of him- yeah he was good in Belgium but its no way comparable to the Premier League.

Wolvescol

Groupie
Reaction score
Don’t think he’s going anywhere soon , I’ve just seen him moving into his new pad , we are roofing the new house right next door to him , turned up with a couple of males and his girlfriend who looks like she just come out of school

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We saw that with a number of Bully's "apprentices".

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Bitch about young players? Hmmm we all love Neto and ask Keane if he got butchered? Lesxott and Murray did ok, jota and neves too

Unfortunately his £35m price tag is the problem. Campana scored another beauty at the weekend, maybe taboos future is away from wolves. Campana earned us millions, Fabio will cost us millions

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
he's 21, he wont be consistent yet, in the first couple of games he looked a who load better and looking dangerous, i havent written him off yet although i was disappointed with his contribution when he came on against liverpool it lacked the same energy from previous outings

Chiswick_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fact that - three years after spending £35m on signing him - we’re still discussing whether he “might come good” is quite frankly a disgrace. I have absolutely nothing against Fabio and I would love him to become the type of striker we thought he might be, but it makes my blood boil watching him play how horribly out of his depth he is. I see literally nothing, not a glimmer, that there is even a 10 goal a season striker in there. And i feel sorry for fans that are still clinging to hope that he may still come good. £35m…just mind boggling.

Back
Top Bottom