Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lets discuss Fabio and his future .

loppers86

Reaction score
Every single player we've got in our squad would want to be out of the door if a big 6 or equivalent showed interest.

What you said was hardly far fetched and probably applies to almost every player at every club outside of those clubs.

Not sure what all the fuss is about!That is just modern day football for you unfortunately.
i agree with you. I just have a feeling that Fabio doesnt
really like it here and he’s probably one of the first to jump
ship if he gets the chance.

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reading the interview with Fabio I do feel there is a lesson here of "What not to do" when bringing in new players. Firstly dont be a club that rarely spends big as it makes the whole transfer a much bigger deal, like Chelsea and United could get away with it because they always over spend. Us? Never again please.
Secondly our system of having him as first back up was wrong. Raul injury as freaky as it was put a lot of pressure, you look at someone who come up the ranks like Fraiser who is the darling child because he has had time to development.
His two good loans are a positive but I am convinced now that with JL gone and this being a relegation battle it won't do him or the club any favours and may damage more than help.
For me, big aim is to get Sasa fit, another striker into a one striker system and have Fabio as third choice or loan him out again

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i agree with you. I just have a feeling that Fabio doesnt
really like it here and he’s probably one of the first to jump
ship if he gets the chance.
Fair point, compare him to Jimmy and Sasa who seems/seemed to like it here.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio needs to be a lot more Rottweiler/ Jack Russell and a lot less puppy dog

Last edited:

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio needs to be a lot more Rottweiler/ Jack Russell and a lot less puppy dog
I got that impression watching the interview. Hard to feel sorry for him on £80,000 per week, but he just seems almost too nice and soft.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio was picking opposition players up off the floor two years ago. He seemed too nice on the pitch. Don't know if he changed at psv?

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So Wolves Roll him out for an Interview. No Fabio We dot expect you to score 50 goals in the Premier League.. Don't label us as Fools. BUT we do expect you to score some goals... Is that too much to ask as our Number 9 ?? Seriously What must Bully be thinking.
Bully is probably out in the garden, testing his knees, wondering if it is too late for a comeback.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe could have done with Costa as a mentor for a season to toughen him up a bit and teach him to be a bit nastier and more ruthless. All great strikers are selfish to an extent and are predominantly interested in scoring goals.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have been one of those who have thought he had something and just needed time. Now I am not sure he will make it in the Premier league. I think this season is **** or bust for him.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's very few strikers who crack the Premier League when they've only recently turned twenty-one. We should bear in mind that we don't create a bucketload of chances for our strikers. Also he might not yet have been played in his best position, ie. in a system with a striker like Kalajdzic who can hold the ball up. For me Fabio's more of a Jota than a Jimenez. There's no guarantee that he'll make the Premier League grade but it's still too early to write him off.

Preston Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's very few strikers who crack the Premier League when they've only recently turned twenty-one. We should bear in mind that we don't create a bucketload of chances for our strikers. Also he might not yet have been played in his best position, ie. in a system with a striker like Kalajdzic who can hold the ball up. For me Fabio's more of a Jota than a Jimenez. There's no guarantee that he'll make the Premier League grade but it's still too early to write him off.

Jota was streets ahead of Fabio at every age. There's no comparison. Jota was running at Premier League level defenders and terrifying them at 20. Fabio terrifies no one! Opponents are probably praying he's on the team sheet every week, rather than Sasa.

Arky_R

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
More Jota!? Wtf
No more forum for today

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's is true. However, he is nowhere near as good as Jota. No pace, can't head, can't score, and worst of all, no improvement in 3 years. The only reason he is here is because Shi paid a fortune and can't admit he made a mistake.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Before giving up on him I would like to see him playing off Sasa. Same with Cunha. Fabio is not a target man, more of a No.10 and he has a good football brain which he will use better if he is not the sole focus of the atttack and expected to out muscle the classic 6ft 3 Premier League centre backs he will face every week.

Service to him has been poor and like previous centre forwards he is often left isolated. Having said that he has to occasionally create things himself and offer some danger to the opposition. He can't go on missing easy chances. He is only 21 and seems such a nice guy-it would be just great if he could get two or three goals and get his confidence up.

If another striker is signed in January-which is essential -he could see himself without a future at Wolves and press for a loan or permanent move. Its now or never with his career with us and I dearly hope he can make a breakthrough and prove all the naysayers wrong. It may just be that the hard, fast and furious environment of the Premier League does not suit him and that the French or Dutch leagues might suit him better as he develops. Let's get fully behind him as best we can for now and hope for the best.

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jota was streets ahead of Fabio at every age. There's no comparison. Jota was running at Premier League level defenders and terrifying them at 20. Fabio terrifies no one! Opponents are probably praying he's on the team sheet every week, rather than Sasa.
I get it that you feel strongly that Fabio will never make it at PL level and, of course, your assessment may well be proved correct. I'd agree that he's yet to confirm that he'll make it at the top level but I was attempting to provide a bit of context and perspective to show that strikers can develop at different rates.
For the record I was a great fan of Jota but at exactly the same age as Fabio is now he hadn't yet played in the PL. He was having a great season but it was against Championship defenders and in a side that stormed the league with wonderful attacking football creating loads of scoring opportunities. In contrast Fabio has this season been played out of position against PL defenders and in a side where scoring chances are very few and far between. How would Fabio have done under Nuno in the Championship and how good would Jota look trying to hold up the ball as a lone striker in GON's team? Of course we'll never know and Jota has continued his progress to enjoy a fabulous career (but sadly no longer with us :(). If Fabio turns out to be half as good as Jota he'll be a good 'un and let's hope he does. A bit more context is that at Fabio's age Ivan Toney was playing with Peterborough in League One while Ollie Watkins was still in League Two with Exeter and both developed into very useful PL players and have earned England caps.
I'll leave it at that.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What’s this “The Old Gold” business? It’s all over the official site recently and its used to refer to Wolves a couple of times in this article. Have I totally missed a commonly used nickname for the last 40 years or is this some new marketing nonsense?
I like 'the old gold' hope it becomes our media nickname. Better than the one that rhymes with Hanky Wanderers anyway lol

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio I just haven't seen it at this level . Sorry but I just don't think he will make it . Scotland or Dutch league he might get 20+ goals . But he is too weak imo to demand the ball and put a shift in . Everyone has an opinion but just rewind the Liverpool game before kickoff and watch his shooting before game . Sorry but That was utter **** .

How a striker was never purchased I never know . Oh hang on we need £600 million before clearing ffShi

Preston Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I like 'the old gold' hope it becomes our media nickname. Better than the one that rhymes with Hanky Wanderers anyway lol
Prefer just being The Wolves personally, always think of teams being known as “the reds/blues/whites” etc as being a bit bland and generic. Obviously there isn’t anything generic about our colours!

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We desperately need this lad to come good. Come on Fabio.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get it that you feel strongly that Fabio will never make it at PL level and, of course, your assessment may well be proved correct. I'd agree that he's yet to confirm that he'll make it at the top level but I was attempting to provide a bit of context and perspective to show that strikers can develop at different rates.
For the record I was a great fan of Jota but at exactly the same age as Fabio is now he hadn't yet played in the PL. He was having a great season but it was against Championship defenders and in a side that stormed the league with wonderful attacking football creating loads of scoring opportunities. In contrast Fabio has this season been played out of position against PL defenders and in a side where scoring chances are very few and far between. How would Fabio have done under Nuno in the Championship and how good would Jota look trying to hold up the ball as a lone striker in GON's team? Of course we'll never know and Jota has continued his progress to enjoy a fabulous career (but sadly no longer with us :(). If Fabio turns out to be half as good as Jota he'll be a good 'un and let's hope he does. A bit more context is that at Fabio's age Ivan Toney was playing with Peterborough in League One while Ollie Watkins was still in League Two with Exeter and both developed into very useful PL players and have earned England caps.
I'll leave it at that.

I'm not saying that Fabio will "never" make it at PL level. But I am saying he isn't PL level now and hasn't been since the day we signed him. Most of which time, we have need a true PL striker more than anyone.

Sure, Shearer, Toney, Kane,Lewandoski scored goals later. And that's exactly how I see it. But every year, people here tell us that "next season is the one Fabio breaks through". It's expecting too much. I'm all for sending Fabio out on loan and getting him back when he can actually hold his own against Premier League level opponents. In the meantime, which could be 2, 3 or more seasons, we need a real, functioning, 100% fit striker and have done for years now.

For every one of those, there's plenty more young strikers who never come good. For every Kane, theres 10 Francis Jeffers! And a Jermaine Pennant or 5. And those were players who looked genuinely gifted in their teens. The failure rate is high. There's dozens more long forgotten. We still don't know at what level he will end up. And Jota was running riot and scoring goals for Porto against Leicester in the Champions League when he was 18.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would honestly prefer him to start rather than Cunha. I have my reservations about him, but I would be more confident of him finding the net than Cunha. The key to our season is getting to the point where Sasa can start games as I think he is our main goalscoring weapon. We can then work out who best to play up front with him.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Still think he might be a fox in the box striker who would get some goals for a dominant team. It's another role that barely exists anymore though, certainly not at Wolves. To play up to for us you need a lot of attributes he doesn't have, strength and pace being the most obvious ones. Dyche knew that, he found a player to do that job, we didn't bother AGAIN!

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope he starts as a no 9 tonight either alongside Sasa or with Cunha supporting him. This is an ideal game for him to get his season moving. I wish him well.
I just don’t think he has it NNW !!

Maybe at Championship level perhaps.
I would dearly love him to prove me completely wrong !!

You watch him in training, perhaps shooting practice, and invariably he is powering the ball towards the goal, there is never any attempt at subtlety like a little dink, or the ultimate test, a confident execution of a 1 v 1

Fingers crossed for him but I’m not hopeful

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He must go down as one of the biggest flops in Wolves' history. I read that Bruno Fernandes likened him at 17 to Christiano Ronaldo and said he was better! Who paid Fernandes to say that, or was he joking? Whatever, Gullible Jeff swallowed it. So far he has cost the club £35 million in a transfer fee and about another 8 million in wages (£80k a week, apparently) during the time he has actually been playing for us. How many has he scored? How many has he made?

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Not sure about the Jota comparison but I think your overall point is right. Look how bad Cunha looks up front in this team. He is in his prime and plays for Brazil, and barely touched the ball on Saturday. Against Luton.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
He must go down as one of the biggest flops in Wolves' history. I read that Bruno Fernandes likened him at 17 to Christiano Ronaldo and said he was better! Who paid Fernandes to say that, or was he joking? Whatever, Gullible Jeff swallowed it. So far he has cost the club £35 million in a transfer fee and about another 8 million in wages (£80k a week, apparently) during the time he has actually been playing for us. How many has he scored? How many has he made?
People will quibble with the wages, which is just someone's oft repeated guess, and in any case a fair slice of that will have been paid by loan clubs. However it's hard to not feel that he'll go next summer (if not January) and will have been the worst £ per useful contribution ever. I mean it doesn't feel that long ago we were doing our nuts over wasting £1.5m on Robert Taylor. It's a shame, I think we all wanted him to do well, but it just isn't going to happen.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just don’t think he has it NNW !!

Maybe at Championship level perhaps.
I would dearly love him to prove me completely wrong !!

You watch him in training, perhaps shooting practice, and invariably he is powering the ball towards the goal, there is never any attempt at subtlety like a little dink, or the ultimate test, a confident execution of a 1 v 1

Fingers crossed for him but I’m not hopeful
Hi mate. Good to hear from you. Hope you're still wearing the hats! I agree with you about Silva. If Sasa is not 100% fit I just don't know who will score for us tbh, that's why I'm praying Silva starts to improve. Surely against a Champs side he has to fancy his chances?

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People will quibble with the wages, which is just someone's oft repeated guess, and in any case a fair slice of that will have been paid by loan clubs. However it's hard to not feel that he'll go next summer (if not January) and will have been the worst £ per useful contribution ever. I mean it doesn't feel that long ago we were doing our nuts over wasting £1.5m on Robert Taylor. It's a shame, I think we all wanted him to do well, but it just isn't going to happen.
Re wages: well if he is on 80k a week, then the two years he has spent playing at Wolves is by itself 8 million, even if loan clubs covered the year he spent on loan. If that is correct, that is £43 million so far, in return for what? The square root of **** all. The absolutely criminal arrogance of Shi will bankrupt the club. And just think what a competent director of football could have got for that amount of money. We all mostly think GON was a poor choice but at least he was cheap. The profligacy of Shi is simply mind boggling

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope he starts as a no 9 tonight either alongside Sasa or with Cunha supporting him. This is an ideal game for him to get his season moving. I wish him well.
God I hope not..I'm now coming into Ipswich station ...Sasa and Hwang to start please

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
I've been one who has been a defender of Fabio in this thread for a long time. I think that he will come good at some point in his career...but, I do agree that he does need to step up this year and "break through." I think it's unrealistic to expect double digit goals, but he does need to start impacting games, putting away chances, and being a reliable option/some time starter for the team. In other words, he needs to show progress. It may be that he is in the wrong team at the wrong time in the wrong league to make an impact at this point in his development...

I think he has the talent and I'm rooting for him.

Back
Top Bottom