Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lets discuss Fabio and his future .

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't really argue with him going, but he do think he hasn't been given a fair crack under O'Neil.

He was made scapegoat for losing at home to Liverpool which is downright bizarre considering it was actually on the manager, but, even so, it was Liverpool.

His minutes have dried up since then massively when you look back.

If some European level German sides are looking at him, it should make a club like us wonder if what we're doing is right.

A move has to happen now, but I'm a bit disappointed he wasn't given a real chance this season. He should've played much more than he has in the past two months, and we could've had a real look to see if he was good enough.

I'm not saying he is, but it genuinely wouldn't surprise me if he went on to have a good career.

He's been given more game time than Sasa and not much less than Sarabia. Yet done nothing at all with it. Other than concede a match losing penalty.

Fabio really has been given enough chances by all GON and by the previous managers, too. There is no agenda. He just does less than other players, so ends up behind them in the queue. At start of season he was playing ahead of Hwang. His minutes have dried up simply because 5 other forwards have done better than he has.

I agree that he will have a good career. What isn't clear is when it will actually start. He is still very young so it could be another 3 or 4 years before he starts knocking the goals in at this level, if ever. In the meantime, our chronic goal scoring problem appears close to solved. Hwang, Cunha and Neto have performed at very high levels. Sasa and Sarabia have done their bit as substitutes. It would be folly to insist on playing Fabio ahead of any of those, as long as they are available.

At the moment, we don't need him, but he really needs to be playing at the right level for his own development.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope that his football career improves.
He put a lot of faith in Wolves when he signed. Not his fault that Raul was injured, that Covid hit and our ability to create scoring chances in t(e last 3 season was beyond bad.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't really argue with him going, but he do think he hasn't been given a fair crack under O'Neil.

He was made scapegoat for losing at home to Liverpool which is downright bizarre considering it was actually on the manager, but, even so, it was Liverpool.

His minutes have dried up since then massively when you look back.

If some European level German sides are looking at him, it should make a club like us wonder if what we're doing is right.

A move has to happen now, but I'm a bit disappointed he wasn't given a real chance this season. He should've played much more than he has in the past two months, and we could've had a real look to see if he was good enough.

I'm not saying he is, but it genuinely wouldn't surprise me if he went on to have a good career.
He should have come on against forest with sasa

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has he been on the pitch since Brammall Lane?

loppers86

Reaction score
From a value POV, he's our worst signing of recent times. Up there with Guedes.
Guedes is up there with the worst signngs of all time in the history of the world ever. (that’s not hyperbole, it’s fact).

He saw an opportunity for a Supermarket Dash through Wolverhampton Wanderers grabbing as much cash as possible, filled he pockets and kept running all the way home. He should be arrested.

loppers86

Reaction score
Fabio will be a good player, just not with us.

I suppose the lesson is that buying potential and selling it on needs luck and skill and if you don’t have both you make a loss.

In fabio’s case we had neither, it’s cost us financially, and it’s set back his development massively.

Good luck Fabio.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's been given more game time than Sasa and not much less than Sarabia. Yet done nothing at all with it. Other than concede a match losing penalty.

Fabio really has been given enough chances by all GON and by the previous managers, too. There is no agenda. He just does less than other players, so ends up behind them in the queue. At start of season he was playing ahead of Hwang. His minutes have dried up simply because 5 other forwards have done better than he has.

I agree that he will have a good career. What isn't clear is when it will actually start. He is still very young so it could be another 3 or 4 years before he starts knocking the goals in at this level, if ever. In the meantime, our chronic goal scoring problem appears close to solved. Hwang, Cunha and Neto have performed at very high levels. Sasa and Sarabia have done their bit as substitutes. It would be folly to insist on playing Fabio ahead of any of those, as long as they are available.

At the moment, we don't need him, but he really needs to be playing at the right level for his own development.

I'm a bit annoyed at the lack of game time Sasa has had as well to be honest. I think he's a good player that we're not utilising properly, particularly in the last two games.

I get your point with Fabio overall, but I judge since his time at PSV. I think he made a big jump there in his performances, and he came back more confident, and I thought he did well in pre-season.

So it should have been about building on that, but he hasn't really had a chance. He had a run at the start of the season, and had good chances against Brighton and Everton. Yes, he missed, but I value the stats and believe things would turn. Just like, for example, I don't think Hwang continues this excellent streak.

And, as said, I don't get why Fabio was seemingly blamed for Liverpool. He wasn't great, but we were five minutes from a point until our goalie made a mistake with a kick and Joao Gomes didn't track a runner. It was also one-way traffic before Fabio came on.

Sarabia is an interesting point as well.

He was frozen out - he made one 16 minutes sub appearances (against ten men) in seven games!! So O'Neil was clearly not a fan. He then brings him on in the 87th minute against Spurs and his season changes on the basis of two outstanding moments.

That's great for Sarabia, but is that really the right approach? Is it fair that you need to score goal of the season and get an assist in less than ten minutes otherwise you don't play?

I agree Fabio shouldn't be ahead of these players but the fact he wasn't used against Forest, maybe even Burnley, earlier at Sheffield United, Newcastle the way the game was going.

O'Neil seems set on his XI and you have to do something incredible like Sarabia to change his mind. I don't think that's right. We should give players more opportunities, and if he doesn't give them more trust (not specifically Fabio) over Christmas, it will come back to bite us IMO.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's the EPL. We just can't give a player game time to assess his progress unless we are absolutely safe in a game (or mathematically safe from relegation). We have not been this season.
Giving any player minutes could cost £millions in a lower league position.

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So it should have been about building on that, but he hasn't really had a chance. He had a run at the start of the season, and had good chances against Brighton and Everton. Yes, he missed, but I value the stats and believe things would turn. Just like, for example, I don't think Hwang continues this excellent streak.

Good post and I think this is key, those misses were sliding doors moments. If he scored one of them I think he probably kicks on again with his confidence up, but instead the pressure builds. Doesn't help we're basically never safe in games, so every chance he gets is critical, and the pressure cranks up a notch - imagine if he played for Fulham and could have come on at 3-0 in the last two games with zero pressure on, instead of the Sheffield United game where every action both defensive and attacking is critical and highly scrutinised. Add in his fee, career trajectory, etc and it becomes crushing.

I hope he can get his confidence back elsewhere and come back and have another go when he's a bit more resilient to the pressure of playing in the PL. Worth remembering that Hojlund hasn't scored a goal this season for Utd in the league and cost them 70m - it's not an easy league for young foreign strikers to adapt to.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good post and I think this is key, those misses were sliding doors moments. If he scored one of them I think he probably kicks on again with his confidence up, but instead the pressure builds. Doesn't help we're basically never safe in games, so every chance he gets is critical, and the pressure cranks up a notch - imagine if he played for Fulham and could have come on at 3-0 in the last two games with zero pressure on, instead of the Sheffield United game where every action both defensive and attacking is critical and highly scrutinised. Add in his fee, career trajectory, etc and it becomes crushing.

I hope he can get his confidence back elsewhere and come back and have another go when he's a bit more resilient to the pressure of playing in the PL. Worth remembering that Hojlund hasn't scored a goal this season for Utd in the league and cost them 70m - it's not an easy league for young foreign strikers to adapt to.
I take your point about Hojlund. He has scored in the Champions League. The EPL, IMHO, is far more intense which takes time to adapt to. In my view Fabio will not adapt in the medium/short term. I wish he could but don't think he will. Added to that he's too nice to the opposition.

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I take your point about Hojlund. He has scored in the Champions League. The EPL, IMHO, is far more intense which takes time to adapt to. In my view Fabio will not adapt in the medium/short term. I wish he could but don't think he will. Added to that he's too nice to the opposition.

I agree but I think that's a reflection of the wider issue of trying to fit in and not belonging, trying to prove yourself etc. As he gets older he should become more focused and professional. I know it's been said a lot in here, but he's 21, he's just a kid still - I hope we get the chance to see him in a Wolves kit when he has matured as I do think the ability is there.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm a bit annoyed at the lack of game time Sasa has had as well to be honest. I think he's a good player that we're not utilising properly, particularly in the last two games.

I get your point with Fabio overall, but I judge since his time at PSV. I think he made a big jump there in his performances, and he came back more confident, and I thought he did well in pre-season.

And, as said, I don't get why Fabio was seemingly blamed for Liverpool. He wasn't great, but we were five minutes from a point until our goalie made a mistake with a kick and Joao Gomes didn't track a runner. It was also one-way traffic before Fabio came on.

Sarabia is an interesting point as well.

He was frozen out - he made one 16 minutes sub appearances (against ten men) in seven games!! So O'Neil was clearly not a fan. He then brings him on in the 87th minute against Spurs and his season changes on the basis of two outstanding moments.

That's great for Sarabia, but is that really the right approach? Is it fair that you need to score goal of the season and get an assist in less than ten minutes otherwise you don't play?

I agree Fabio shouldn't be ahead of these players but the fact he wasn't used against Forest, maybe even Burnley, earlier at Sheffield United, Newcastle the way the game was going.

O'Neil seems set on his XI and you have to do something incredible like Sarabia to change his mind. I don't think that's right. We should give players more opportunities, and if he doesn't give them more trust (not specifically Fabio) over Christmas, it will come back to bite us IMO.
Sarabia didn’t get any minutes in the game after Spurs which is **** poor man management in my opinion.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hope he gets a good loan. Think the best we can hope for now is that we loan him, he scores some goals and someone takes a gamble on him for £10m. At the minute I think we’d struggle to get that figure for him.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hope he gets a good loan. Think the best we can hope for now is that we loan him, he scores some goals and someone takes a gamble on him for £10m. At the minute I think we’d struggle to get that figure for him.
I plucked £10m out of the sky tbh. Thinking about it I think a loan to a decent club in a less demanding league is the way to go. He may then get some goals and push his value higher but everyone on here seems to think £10m is his limit, if that. Fosun are a business and I can't see hard-nosed businessmen willing to write off £25m to get shot of him in the summer? What a predicament we have got ourselves into with this lad.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Part of me will just be relieved when he’s gone now.

It’s just not worked out for him or Wolves. Personally I think the blame lies more with the club than him. It’s just been a colossal waste of money. Just think if we’d gambled on Watkins or Toney at the time at that price.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Part of me will just be relieved when he’s gone now.

It’s just not worked out for him or Wolves. Personally I think the blame lies more with the club than him. It’s just been a colossal waste of money. Just think if we’d gambled on Watkins or Toney at the time at that price.
Spot on.

Wignall 3-0

Groupie
Reaction score
Real shame if its true that GON will not give him a chance. Perfect opportunity to give him a go in the next four weeks. I really don`t know if he can cut it this time around in the premier league because he not been given the time.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just can’t see him ever becoming a handful in the premier league, to me he’s always looked miles off. Can’t see us getting much for him at the minute, so perhaps finding him a decent loan, possibly with an option to buy and a big sell on % agreed if it becomes permanent, would be the best we could expect right now?

With Fabio not getting much of a sniff, us adding a decent striker in Jan would seriously improve the squad.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
German clubs won't pay a fee and will only want him on loan.
Monza & Genoa also want him. He won’t be leaving on loan again. No way, even if it’s 15m we want him sold. Bring in that Boulaye Dia bloke. Arsenal are now looking at per reports

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Real shame if its true that GON will not give him a chance. Perfect opportunity to give him a go in the next four weeks. I really don`t know if he can cut it this time around in the premier league because he not been given the time.
He’s had a perfect opportunity in the last four years, never mind the next four weeks!

Nowhere near good enough for the Premier League.

He just seems a last resort on the subs bench.

Back
Top Bottom