Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Joao Moutinho Surely Deserves a New 1 or 2 year Contract

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has no one thought that both Joao and wolves have allowed the contract to run down so that we can pay him a signing bonus meaning reduced wages? This would make sense to me rather than extend current contract on the same wage structure

Players get signing on bonuses when they agree new contracts anyway, you don't have to run one down to get one

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This 'Talking wolves bloke is really getting on my pip. He keeps doing articles on Twitter and changing the meaning from the source.

Tom Collomosse
Wolves/Moutinho: One-year deal on offer from #WWFC. Player would ideally like a longer contract and has been exploring options. Wolves want him to stay but unlikely to extend the duration of the contract. Current one up 30/6/22.

Talking Wolves
Wolves have a one year deal on offer for Joao Moutinho. The player would ideally like a longer contract and has been exploring options.Wolves want him to stay but as it stands it is ‘unlikely’.
@TomCollomosse
He hasn’t done it intentionally, he has even posted a correction.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stop it mate…. They knew about his contract last year, we have seen on here from good credible people that moutinho wants to stay but the club haven’t given him close to what he deserves. The discussions would have started months ago.

Please stop making excuses for the gross incompetence happening at the club.

This should and could have been dealt with months ago! To have left it like this is very disrespectful to a great player who has delivered in massive ways for this team and us fans.

How they treated ruddy shows this is an amateur operation!

Christ, calm down, it's not healthy to be that worked up!

I think it's perfectly reasonable of the club to not want to offer an expensive 2 year deal to a player who's about to turn 36. It's also reasonable for him to have a look round elsewhere to see if other clubs are falling over themselves to offer him that 2 year deal. Given nothing has been announced yet either way, it's likely that's not the case.

And given who his agent is, we can be assured we'd be warned if clubs were about to do that.

For all we know, the deal's been agreed on a handshake already, and is just going to be signed on Monday when he turns up for training.

What was amateur about Ruddy leaving? A bit ruthless sure, but amateur? Is that just the word of the day on here, as it seems to be being thrown around a lot?

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves right to only offer 1-year imo. We can't let sentimentality get in the way of the right choices, which in this case is not giving a 2-year contract to an almost 36yo, especially one who is one of our highest earners. Look at the mess the likes of Arsenal got into by doing similar things.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has no one thought that both Joao and wolves have allowed the contract to run down so that we can pay him a signing bonus meaning reduced wages? This would make sense to me rather than extend current contract on the same wage structure
I'm pretty sure he'd get a signing on fee anyway, doesn't have to let the contract officially expire to get that

Personally I think we should be giving him a year at something like £75k a week, then saying a certain amount of appearances/minutes automatically triggers the second year he wants. But we'll see, really wouldn't be surprised to see an extended deal announced in the next week

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves right to only offer 1-year imo. We can't let sentimentality get in the way of the right choices, which in this case is not giving a 2-year contract to an almost 36yo, especially one who is one of our highest earners. Look at the mess the likes of Arsenal got into by doing similar things.

What are we going to replace him with though, if anyone? That's my big fear. I do not trust Shi and Sellars to do it.

T

TheConcourse

Yes and if he's signed by next week, fine. At what point does the club need to do something either way? When does it become unacceptable? By the time we go to Spain? By the time the season kicks off? By the time the window closes?

Nobody knows the details of his contract or the details of the offer. I would expect it to be sorted by the time everyone is back in training, if it's not and we're still hanging on waiting and we've made our best offer and he won't sign it, call it there and move on.
Guessing they’ll make the decision tomorrow. I don’t see a reason why we won’t start the season with 3 senior CM’s.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What are we going to replace him with though, if anyone? That's my big fear. I do not trust Shi and Sellars to do it.

Absolute valid point and honestly, no idea, but I don't think you can run a football club under the that sort of inauspiciousness. I also think if we really want to change our style going forward we need far more athletic midfielders. Moutinho for 2 years just means 2 more years of 3-4-3 low block football and honestly I'd rather roll the dice.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolute valid point and honestly, no idea, but I don't think you can run a football club under the that sort of inauspiciousness. I also think if we really want to change our style going forward we need far more athletic midfielders. Moutinho for 2 years just means 2 more years of 3-4-3 low block football and honestly I'd rather roll the dice.
And play a youth team player, as these idiots unlikely to sign a viable replacement?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The question is "who can we best get in the role?". If we can't get anyone who can match Moutinho in the midfield role - and we haven't managed to since the day we signed him - then surely we keep him until we can? Or change tactics and get a couple of genuine central, forward minded midfielders in?

Letting players leave without adequate replacement can only make a team worse. We don't have the pulling power or wealth of options that a club like Arsenal has. It was a miracle that a player of Moutinho's standard ever arrived at us in the first place. We appear to be struggling to even attract pale imitations these days. Compared to the big clubs, we are now the beggars who probably shouldn't be too choosy.

Would rather have sentimentality than folly or carelessness!

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite right to only offer a 1 year contract, but we have no succession plan already in place at the club, so how long are we going to wait to see if he signs before he is replaced? Is he going to be replaced? As of Friday we will have just 2 senior centre mids, and that is shocking for a team competing in the supposed best league in the world

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why? Moutinho knows what’s on offer. He needs to decide if it’s what he wants. Club’s not to blame for him taking his time.
Maybe so in the land where the club is to blame for nothing, IMHO team weakened next season if Mouts has ****ed off.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe so in the land where the club is to blame for nothing, IMHO team weakened next season if Mouts has ****ed off.
I’m a big fan of Moutinho and agree, it’d be a huge loss to lose him. Yet, I wouldn’t want to keep him at any cost. The club have offered him what they think is fair. As far as I know there’s still a bit of negotiation wiggle room but it’s obvious JM wants to stay.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite right to only offer a 1 year contract, but we have no succession plan already in place at the club, so how long are we going to wait to see if he signs before he is replaced? Is he going to be replaced? As of Friday we will have just 2 senior centre mids, and that is shocking for a team competing in the supposed best league in the world
That’s the run of it mate.

****ing shambles.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s so much “black or white” thinking on the mix at the moment, it’s quite entertaining. He hasn’t signed a new contract yet so the fault is totally the clubs.

No thought that perhaps he’s taking his time and making sure it’s EXACTLY what he wants as realistically it’ll probably be his last one. Or that he might be thinking of going back to Portugal (yes I know social media says he wants to stay but only he knows that) or he might fancy a new challenge? I know if I was his age a potential one year deal at wolves or a theoretical 2 year deal in the MLS at say Miami might be a difficult choice.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s so much “black or white” thinking on the mix at the moment, it’s quite entertaining. He hasn’t signed a new contract yet so the fault is totally the clubs.

No thought that perhaps he’s taking his time and making sure it’s EXACTLY what he wants as realistically it’ll probably be his last one. Or that he might be thinking of going back to Portugal (yes I know social media says he wants to stay but only he knows that) or he might fancy a new challenge? I know if I was his age a potential one year deal at wolves or a theoretical 2 year deal in the MLS at say Miami might be a difficult choice.
Too right and you're a perfect example of always supporting the club whatever the circumstances/issue.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Too right and you're a perfect example of always supporting the club whatever the circumstances/issue.
Not in the slightest. I think they’ve got plenty wrong (I’ll list it if you really want), but there’s an element of a witch hunt on every topic. For some the entire club is falling apart at the seems and we’re the Titanic about to hit the iceberg which clearly isn’t the case. If (granted a big if) they sign 3 players next week does that magically mean that everything is ok again?

We’re sinking into that position we did under Morgan and Moxey (who did plenty wrong) in that not EVERYTHING done is wrong but that’s how some will portray it.

Redrockwanderer

Reaction score
This 'Talking wolves bloke is really getting on my pip. He keeps doing articles on Twitter and changing the meaning from the source.

Tom Collomosse
Wolves/Moutinho: One-year deal on offer from #WWFC. Player would ideally like a longer contract and has been exploring options. Wolves want him to stay but unlikely to extend the duration of the contract. Current one up 30/6/22.

Talking Wolves
Wolves have a one year deal on offer for Joao Moutinho. The player would ideally like a longer contract and has been exploring options.Wolves want him to stay but as it stands it is ‘unlikely’.
@TomCollomosse
The source works for the mail… enough said!

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not in the slightest. I think they’ve got plenty wrong (I’ll list it if you really want), but there’s an element of a witch hunt on every topic. For some the entire club is falling apart at the seems and we’re the Titanic about to hit the iceberg which clearly isn’t the case. If (granted a big if) they sign 3 players next week does that magically mean that everything is ok again?

We’re sinking into that position we did under Morgan and Moxey (who did plenty wrong) in that not EVERYTHING done is wrong but that’s how some will portray it.
That's par for the course, same with Ireland, Marshall, Bhattis (flavour of the month when they won promotion in first season), Sir Jack to a large extent.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Christ, calm down, it's not healthy to be that worked up!

I think it's perfectly reasonable of the club to not want to offer an expensive 2 year deal to a player who's about to turn 36. It's also reasonable for him to have a look round elsewhere to see if other clubs are falling over themselves to offer him that 2 year deal. Given nothing has been announced yet either way, it's likely that's not the case.

And given who his agent is, we can be assured we'd be warned if clubs were about to do that.

For all we know, the deal's been agreed on a handshake already, and is just going to be signed on Monday when he turns up for training.

What was amateur about Ruddy leaving? A bit ruthless sure, but amateur? Is that just the word of the day on here, as it seems to be being thrown around a lot?
Hi, I am perfectly cool, the lad you agreed with whose post I commented on swore multiple times, and his sign off…. Wow….. not exactly an oasis of calm lol

maybe ask him if he is ok and suggest he needs to chill

It is amateur for a PROFESSIONAL and premier league club to do public statements and social media to the shock of the player and our manager who said he wanted to keep him around. It isn’t even close to a good moment for them.

Showed a real lack of class to a guy who was an integral part of the championship season and was a model pro in the changing room and in the community with the schools and kids.

To call it “ruthless” is really excusing the club for another poor piece of communications and handling of our playing staff as he was a big player in the changing room and that won’t have gone down well with the lads, I can guarantee it.

People on here moan about putting players down or criticising them when they are playing badly, but it is ok for the club to treat a player badly in public in the way they handled his exit. Hilarious double standards

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really, really hope Moutinho stays.

I would personally offer him two years. I know he is on a big wage, but a player of his experience is absolutely worth it and if we are having this same conversation in 12 months, surely someone would be happy to take over his contract going into the last 12 months?

I would be devastated to lose him. Not because of sentimental reasons either. Because
A) He is still a top player, potentially quality in the right system (which sadly, here, he never has done)
B) His experience and leadership skills are second to none. Let MGW etc pick up from him. Neves is already a better player because of Moutinho.
C) I love his will to win.
D) Can we seriously trust the club to have a plan in place if he doesn't stay?

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I really, really hope Moutinho stays.

I would personally offer him two years. I know he is on a big wage, but a player of his experience is absolutely worth it and if we are having this same conversation in 12 months, surely someone would be happy to take over his contract going into the last 12 months?

I would be devastated to lose him. Not because of sentimental reasons either. Because
A) He is still a top player, potentially quality in the right system (which sadly, here, he never has done)
B) His experience and leadership skills are second to none. Let MGW etc pick up from him. Neves is already a better player because of Moutinho.
C) I love his will to win.
D) Can we seriously trust the club to have a plan in place if he doesn't stay?
Great post - very much how I feel too. Would say though Coady also has good leadership skills.
I watched the videos of the first day of training and thought it looked quite glum and, with Lage quite an unexcitable person really think Mouts and Coady are vital elements to keep a closecknit gelled squad enthusiatic.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great post - very much how I feel too. Would say though Coady also has good leadership skills.
I watched the videos of the first day of training and thought it looked quite glum and, with Lage quite an unexcitable person really think Mouts and Coady are vital elements to keep a closecknit gelled squad enthusiatic.
Losing Ruddy and Saiss both of who were upbeat jokers probably hasn't helped any.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A poster called gold flag flying high on the wolves forum has implied moutinho has already signed. The poster seems respected by other posters.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
A poster called gold flag flying high on the wolves forum has implied moutinho has already signed. The poster seems respected by other posters.

Same username on here. Not seen it mentioned though. No idea how reliable he is, but I'll leave the champagne on ice for a bit yet.

@Gold Flag Flying High ?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Same username on here. Not seen it mentioned though. No idea how reliable he is, but I'll leave the champagne on ice for a bit yet.

@Gold Flag Flying High ?
@TheConcourse posted this on the Pub Rumour thread....

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
@TheConcourse posted this on the Pub Rumour thread....

Cheers, cork popped!

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
Brilliant news, if it comes to pass! His work ethic and will to win are hugely invaluable, especially for the younger players. I would also argue that he is still a draw for younger Portuguese midfielders--he garners a tremendous amount of respect among players.

SilverstoneWolf

Reaction score
Quite simply the best player - and best desire to WIN - we have seen in my 70 years of following Wolves. He deserves it for coming, for staying, and for his noise, tactical awareness & leadership. And the absolute consummate professional to be an example to every young player who is lucky enough to share a training pitch. An absolute legend. We must not treat him like an ‘also-ran’!

Back
Top Bottom