Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Joao Moutinho Surely Deserves a New 1 or 2 year Contract

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Because they'd have announced it? Or we'd hear reports from the usual places that it's been done?
So on the basis no one has said anything either way and his current contract doesn't expire until midnight tomorrow so there's no need at the moment, then it's not been renewed?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd give joao another year on reduced wage and a route into doing his UEFA badges ifhedlike to coach. ...no way 2 years on 100 k

I’d be slightly more generous. 1 year on his current 100k / week, and a second year on coaches wage along with support for doing his badges, with a bonus for any games he plays pro rata to his current playing salary.

I’d make the assumption that if he stays he expects / hopes to be playing most weeks in the run up to the World Cup, but after that, he may be more relaxed about getting game time.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps it’s takes longer to write and agree a clause guaranteeing a player/manager contract. In 2 years time ;) ;)

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"His current contract runs out tomorrow, however contract talks may drag on into next week"

So technically, Moutinho will become a free agent, and Wolves will have to effectively re-sign him? That is indeed a ridiculous farce.

Monswolf

Reaction score
Has no one thought that both Joao and wolves have allowed the contract to run down so that we can pay him a signing bonus meaning reduced wages? This would make sense to me rather than extend current contract on the same wage structure

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has no one thought that both Joao and wolves have allowed the contract to run down so that we can pay him a signing bonus meaning reduced wages? This would make sense to me rather than extend current contract on the same wage structure
all sorts of options hes not due back till monday, so it might be a case of rocking up in the office on monday to do the business

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Same thought occurred to me.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
****ing shameful!!!!!

This shows fosun are becoming absolutely tinpot!

He is a great of the club, is still a quality international and they have known for a long time what he wants to stay….

Fosun higher ups if they care about this investment need to step in and clear the decks starting with Jeff and get proper football people or people who have actually worked/delivered in the sport or Jesus any sport in situ.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
all sorts of options hes not due back till monday, so it might be a case of rocking up in the office on monday to do the business
Stop it mate…. They knew about his contract last year, we have seen on here from good credible people that moutinho wants to stay but the club haven’t given him close to what he deserves. The discussions would have started months ago.

Please stop making excuses for the gross incompetence happening at the club.

This should and could have been dealt with months ago! To have left it like this is very disrespectful to a great player who has delivered in massive ways for this team and us fans.

How they treated ruddy shows this is an amateur operation!

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why would we have to wait for his contract to run out to offer him that? Didn't PSG give Mbappe a €150m signing bonus or something daft last month?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why would we have to wait for his contract to run out to offer him that? Didn't PSG give Mbappe a €150m signing bonus or something daft last month?
Perhaps João wanted to test the waters and look at his options?

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How can you say that if you have absolutely no idea of the negotiations? what exactlyshould wolves have done differently ?

They've known he'll be out of contract all season. Yet we still haven't come to an agreement this close to his expiration? It's absolutely ridiculous. It should've been sorted by now one way or another.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe! I just think that having our most experienced player possibly missing the start of pre-season training because we haven't sorted his contract out is a ridiculous situation to be in.
Many on here who are ITK or well connected know he has being telling people he wants to stay but the club aren’t even trying to negotiate close to what he wants.

How the club treated the other free agents in sais and ruddy and leaving it so late shows you they can’t do the basics of the jobs or even do things with an ounce of class

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe! I just think that having our most experienced player possibly missing the start of pre-season training because we haven't sorted his contract out is a ridiculous situation to be in.
Depends really on whether its just a formality or if much discussion is required.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Depends really on whether its just a formality or if much discussion is required.
Absolutely. If he's flying in, signing the contract, and getting cracking with training - fine. If not... it's not like this has come as a surprise. We have had ample time to sort this out.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Talking Wolves

@TalkingWolves
·
3m

Wolves have a one year deal on offer for Joao Moutinho. The player would ideally like a longer contract and has been exploring options. Wolves want him to stay but as it stands it is ‘unlikely’.

And meltdown cue on monday if he hasnt jetted in for preseason with only neves and dendoncker as senior midfielders.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Talking Wolves
@TalkingWolves
·
3m

Wolves have a one year deal on offer for Joao Moutinho. The player would ideally like a longer contract and has been exploring options. Wolves want him to stay but as it stands it is ‘unlikely’.

And meltdown cue on monday if he hasnt jetted in for preseason with only neves and dendoncker as senior midfielders.
They've misquoted that slightly. He says it's unlikely we'll increase the length of the contract on offer.

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stop it mate…. They knew about his contract last year, we have seen on here from good credible people that moutinho wants to stay but the club haven’t given him close to what he deserves. The discussions would have started months ago.

Please stop making excuses for the gross incompetence happening at the club.

This should and could have been dealt with months ago! To have left it like this is very disrespectful to a great player who has delivered in massive ways for this team and us fans.

How they treated ruddy shows this is an amateur operation!
who says we have 'left it?

I'm sure he has been offered something a few weeks/months back.

Its not like someone rocked up one morning last week and thought **** Moutinho's contracts runs out Friday we better quickly cobble something together

He has all the cards, so probably seeing what else is out there, whether he wants to end career at Wolves etc etc

So much ****ing negativity on this site it beggars belief.

T

TheConcourse

We have sorted his contract. It’s an offer of one year. What else can the club do other than sacrifice another £5m a year by agreeing a 2nd year?

He has every right to flaunt himself around Europe, but I’d be surprised if he gets anywhere close to 50-60k at most clubs in most leagues at his age.

Take the deal or move on.

I don’t mind firing shots at the club when they’ve messed up, but this is the player not making a decision and effectively holding us back.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
who says we have 'left it?

I'm sure he has been offered something a few weeks/months back.

Its not like someone rocked up one morning last week and thought **** Moutinho's contracts runs out Friday we better quickly cobble something together

He has all the cards, so probably seeing what else is out there, whether he wants to end career at Wolves etc etc

So much ****ing negativity on this site it beggars belief.
My negative attitude comes from how Ruddy was treated after what Bruno said about him and also they way they announced it seemed like they even caught him unaware with the coms too.

Then how Sais spoke about the end and how it was drawn out.

There have been multiple posts about moutinho and his team saying what he wanted a fair while ago and the club not budging or engaging in a decent negotiation.

So I am sorry all signs are pointing to the club not approaching this in a decent way

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have sorted his contract. It’s an offer of one year. What else can the club do other than sacrifice another £5m a year by agreeing a 2nd year?

He has every right to flaunt himself around Europe, but I’d be surprised if he gets anywhere close to 50-60k at most clubs in most leagues at his age.

Take the deal or move on.

I don’t mind firing shots at the club when they’ve messed up, but this is the player not making a decision and effectively holding us back.
Yes and if he's signed by next week, fine. At what point does the club need to do something either way? When does it become unacceptable? By the time we go to Spain? By the time the season kicks off? By the time the window closes?

Nobody knows the details of his contract or the details of the offer. I would expect it to be sorted by the time everyone is back in training, if it's not and we're still hanging on waiting and we've made our best offer and he won't sign it, call it there and move on.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's been a great servant but is 35 now and we need to move on.
Move on from a club great? A centurion of caps for his country, who at a time we would be stuck with Leander dendonker as the only partner to neves…..

I would rather have moutinho at 35 as neves only partner than Leander.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In itself, I get the notion of not wanting to give a 36 yo a 2 year deal. However, I have absolutely zero faith that he'd be replaced properly. Therefore, as an experienced head in the dressing room, as well as his quality despite his age, we really need to tie him down.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d be slightly more generous. 1 year on his current 100k / week, and a second year on coaches wage along with support for doing his badges, with a bonus for any games he plays pro rata to his current playing salary.

I’d make the assumption that if he stays he expects / hopes to be playing most weeks in the run up to the World Cup, but after that, he may be more relaxed about getting game time.
For me if we are still playing him week in week out next season, we are doing him a favour rather than doing what is best for the club.
At some point you have to say good luck in finding those terms elsewhere.
If he's been as good as everyone says he has he'll have no problem finding them. Based on his form towards the end of the season I have a feeling though he will struggle.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This 'Talking wolves bloke is really getting on my pip. He keeps doing articles on Twitter and changing the meaning from the source.

Tom Collomosse
Wolves/Moutinho: One-year deal on offer from #WWFC. Player would ideally like a longer contract and has been exploring options. Wolves want him to stay but unlikely to extend the duration of the contract. Current one up 30/6/22.

Talking Wolves
Wolves have a one year deal on offer for Joao Moutinho. The player would ideally like a longer contract and has been exploring options.Wolves want him to stay but as it stands it is ‘unlikely’.
@TomCollomosse

Back
Top Bottom