Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Have Villa Owners more Ambition than The Wolves Owners ?

Have Villa Owners more ambition than Wolves (Fosun)?

• Total voters

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Villa next season might be looking at:

Suarez
Bailey Coutinho Buendia
Luiz McGinn
Digne Bassey Carlos Cash
Martinez
Do I think that's getting them top four, or even top six? No, I don't. The resale value on Coutinho, Suarez and Diego Carlos is nil. Is that still a stronger team on paper than us at the moment? Absolutely. Even a 35 year old Suarez will regularly score goals, and Coutinho is still a top player. Am I jealous? Not really, they might break top 10, but that's that.

The truly frustrating part is how close we have been to competing for the top six, with 2-3 quality signings. Yet we've regressed over the last few transfer windows, and now our most prized asset is likely off for greener pastures, a clear backwards step for us. It very much seems like this summer will see a significant overhaul of this squad, and they absolutely cannot afford to have another nothing window with little to no net spend, because our form over the last 20 games would have had us relegated had we not started well this season.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The answer is obvious but the summer could change things. I won't be holding my breath though

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The clue was that he posted an emoji in response.....
didn‘t notice it but however I just thought there was bad history …..or just thought the sun was surprisingly shining in Wales today and that threw Mutchy off……hahaha

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks like Little Aston have signed or are signing already 2 players we were supposedly interested in Kamara & Bassey

Jeff Shi and Scott Sellars are probably on their holidays now and will leave it until July / August before they do any business
They also signed Sanson who we tracked and he absolutely flopped. Bassey has done well in a very poor league, he could be the next Van Dijk or the next Christophe Berra.

Kamara has gone there because they’ve given him a massive signing on fee and a huge wage. If that’s his motivation he’s not one for us. He had much better options than us (and Villa) but has chased the brummie pound

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They also signed Sanson who we tracked and he absolutely flopped. Bassey has done well in a very poor league, he could be the next Van Dijk or the next Christophe Berra.

Kamara has gone there because they’ve given him a massive signing on fee and a huge wage. If that’s his motivation he’s not one for us. He had much better options than us (and Villa) but has chased the brummie pound
Because Ruben Neves, Joao Moutinho, Rui Patricio, Raul Jimenez etc. famously joined Wolves because we paid them in orange chips and free tickets to the Grand every week...

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because Ruben Neves, Joao Moutinho, Rui Patricio, Raul Jimenez etc. famously joined Wolves because we paid them in orange chips and free tickets to the Grand every week...
Did I say that? You’ve mentioned players who came at different points in their career but lumped them all together. Neves came as a stepping stone to the top level (which he’ll get this summer). Moutinho came on the same wage as at Monaco so wasn’t chasing money, he’d have got the contract we gave at many clubs. Kamara is a player with potential that’s why we looked at him, but we aren’t paying him the reported £130k a week villa will pay, nor will anyone else. He’s seen pound signs and his heads turned.

I’ll keep saying it all summer and I’ve said it for 12 months before. If you want to hold villa up as someone to follow we had the same blueprint in the 90s. Paying over the odds for players, paying them more than the market value just to get them over the line. For every Dean Richards there was an Adrian Williams and for every Coutinho there will be a Sanson. It’s a scatter gun approach fronted by a manager who isn’t very good at all. That’s not me down crying anything, that is word for word how I genuinely feel.

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m my opinion Villa have undoubtedly bought some quality individuals as SBK has said so did we in the Hayward era. Getting them to play as team is another thing. If Gerard is able to do that they have hit the jackpot costly as it seems if not they will be us of the 90’s and flatter to deceive.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, Mutchy.

But nobody will be able to read this reply .....

unless my Marvel superhero alter ego HappyWolvesClapperMan** can save the day?

**not the best Marvel superhero, I must admit
I’m just glad it’s all clear now.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bringing in new 7/8 players every window is not going to help the stability of the club. Players currently there will be unsettled. Gerrard gets off to a bad start then he will probably be up the road like smithy was lol

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our model and their model are different. Fosun have their investors to consider far more than villas do. We won’t have marquee signings like them. We just won’t pay the money. That doesn’t mean we won’t get players in and sign quality, they will just not be on many radars. Sign them young, develop them , sell for a profit. It seems to be the general intent. It does not always work.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our model and their model are different. Fosun have their investors to consider far more than villas do. We won’t have marquee signings like them. We just won’t pay the money. That doesn’t mean we won’t get players in and sign quality, they will just not be on many radars. Sign them young, develop them , sell for a profit. It seems to be the general intent. It does not always work.
If we got Paulinha I think that would be as marquee as their signings personally

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Villa are hoping their signings bring then success in the short term which they are gambling pays for the initial outlay on fees and huge wages. It hasn’t brought them anything yet and its going to be an issue for them if they come 12th or below again this season.

We are the opposite end of the spectrum at the moment; looking for a young squad signed by swap deals, try before we buy deals and bringing the odd youngster through.

Hopefully we spend a bit more this summer though.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we got Paulinha I think that would be as marquee as their signings personally
Coutinho ? We aren’t playing that game . Ings? Again we won’t be matching that . I wish we would, I just think we won’t. Our marquee 35 m went on Fabio and another similar chunk of change on Semedo. Both came with lots of enthusiasm from the fans but neither have really justified being our record signing. Palhinha would be a great signing for us but neutral fans would look at Coutinho and possibly Ings as so called bigger signings. I really hope sellars and Shi get it so right the naysayers like me eat humble pie. And if they do I am happy too!

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coutinho ? We aren’t playing that game . Ings? Again we won’t be matching that . I wish we would, I just think we won’t. Our marquee 35 m went on Fabio and another similar chunk of change on Semedo. Both came with lots of enthusiasm from the fans but neither have really justified being our record signing. Palhinha would be a great signing for us but neutral fans would look at Coutinho and possibly Ings as so called bigger signings. I really hope sellars and Shi get it so right the naysayers like me eat humble pie. And if they do I am happy too!
Not sure, he's a full Portugal international and been tracked by Spurs quite a while. There were quite a few man united fans replying to the news with 'another quality dm we are missing out on'

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
Good luck to them if they want to splash the cash and have a go. Part of the excitement of football is the transfering of players and team building. I just wish I can experience more of this excitement with Wolves.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
It’s not even a debate that their owners are more ambitious

For them it’s just unfortunate the strategy is wrong
I think this is about right tbf. Being ambitious doesn’t guarantee you success and in fact it don’t guarantee you anything. The same as spending money doesn’t guarantee you anything. It increases the expectation and pressure though.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Pretty much sums it for me. Look at similar teams who have spunked loads of money on poor signings. The worst currently are Everton and Man United. Some shocking wastes of money from both of those clubs. Villa got a 100m bonus for Grealish. In fairness I think they didnt spend it that badly. Martinez was a great signing for them as well.

Before I throw too many stones at Villa, Fabio and Semedo dont look like 70m worth of business to most neutral fans. Sa has been our best signing for 3 years. Jury still out on Yerson although Chiquinho looks promising. But both of those two cost 5m between them. The intent from Fosun when they first came in and signed Jota, Neves Costa, followed by Patricio and Mouthinho I would argue was the pinnicle of our transfer dealings in the fosun era so far. I am really hoping that this summer matches up to those levels of signings.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pretty much sums it for me. Look at similar teams who have spunked loads of money on poor signings. The worst currently are Everton and Man United. Some shocking wastes of money from both of those clubs. Villa got a 100m bonus for Grealish. In fairness I think they didnt spend it that badly. Martinez was a great signing for them as well.

Before I throw too many stones at Villa, Fabio and Semedo dont look like 70m worth of business to most neutral fans. Sa has been our best signing for 3 years. Jury still out on Yerson although Chiquinho looks promising. But both of those two cost 5m between them. The intent from Fosun when they first came in and signed Jota, Neves Costa, followed by Patricio and Mouthinho I would argue was the pinnicle of our transfer dealings in the fosun era so far. I am really hoping that this summer matches up to those levels of signings.
The Silva signing is a disgrace with the strategy we have

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I disagree, I’d say they both have exactly the same ambition (that is to compete in Europe, both sets of owners know they aren’t winning the league even if they don’t come out and admit it). Though both owners have considerably different methods of achieving it. The villa owners are proper flashy owners, as is Purslow. To back that flash up they needed a big “name” manager but couldn’t get one so got a big name ex player instead. Similarly they require big name players to follow the flash up. Coutinho for me will turn out to be a weight round their neck, started brightly but finished the season looking very average. Massive wage, long contract and what happens when his mate Slippy G gets the sack? It’ll be a full on sulk I imagine. Villa could well finish above us next year but one thing I will say is if they are in the lower third after 12 games I fully expect slippy G to get the heave ho and us finish above them.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They clearly are more ambitious than us at this moment in time. Fosun are cutting back and have done for some time. However, to give Fosun their dues, in the first two seasons they invested well and gave the club a shot at Europe, which the Villa are yet to do. It's just a shame that recruitment since that European QF (maybe even the January and summer prior to that when Nuno wanted players) has been extremely poor. They will undo all their good work of those first few years if they aren't careful.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Eh? The silva signing IS the strategy we have.
I'm not sure I agree. Surely the strategy we have is picking up young players at low value, developing them, then selling at profit to reinvest?

As has been said many times, Fabio would have to become one of the best players of all time to make any significant profit on. Absolutely bizarre signing and completely against the grain.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not sure I agree. Surely the strategy we have is picking up young players at low value, developing them, then selling at profit to reinvest?

As has been said many times, Fabio would have to become one of the best players of all time to make any significant profit on. Absolutely bizarre signing and completely against the grain.

Favour to Porto/Mendes, no way we had to pay that much to get him

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agreed

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun are happy to get us where we are. Milk the PL money… I think they would sell us if the right offer came 100%

Last edited:

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom