Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Have Villa Owners more Ambition than The Wolves Owners ?

Have Villa Owners more ambition than Wolves (Fosun)?

• Total voters

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair to the OP, I think Villa have absolutely masses of ambition. Theyve spent a lot of money and by sacking Smith and bringing in a name like Gerrard, it's clear that they have genuine aspirations of establishing themselves once more.

The problem for them is that their transfer strategy and off field management is absolutely awful. In fact, awful doesn't do it justice. It's bordering on negligent.

They clearly subscribe to the 'oh he costs 40 million he must be good' school of thought. One which Wolves mad the mistake of following for many many years. The 100 million that has been spent on the trio of reserves is ludicrous. The Coutinho loan was (imo) a colossal waste of money. Digne was a good singing but he's not having luck with injuires.

They got it so so right last season. It's no coincidence that their best players have come from the championship - where Smith identified very talented youngsters - or from their youth team.

But the mentality their owners palpably have now (palpable in the sense that they've spent 10 million to borrow Coutinho), is that money spent equals success. And, yes, that genuinely correlates. Throw enough **** at the wall and some sticks.

If a team with Villa's financial clout and board's aspirations had any sort of nous, they'd be dangerous. As it is, the only danger they have now is of doing a Sunderland (or a Villa from 10 years ago). They've gambled massively and it's not working.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Many of their fans saying they'd not bother signing Coutinho given his wages and fee. He was woeful today, unless he scores he's useless

Achilles Last Stand

Reaction score
Many of their fans saying they'd not bother signing Coutinho given his wages and fee. He was woeful today, unless he scores he's useless

He seems to be either useless or awesome, in batches.
Two excellent games followed by three ***** games seems to be the norm.

Beijing Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
To be fair to the OP, I think Villa have absolutely masses of ambition. Theyve spent a lot of money and by sacking Smith and bringing in a name like Gerrard, it's clear that they have genuine aspirations of establishing themselves once more.

The problem for them is that their transfer strategy and off field management is absolutely awful. In fact, awful doesn't do it justice. It's bordering on negligent.

They clearly subscribe to the 'oh he costs 40 million he must be good' school of thought. One which Wolves mad the mistake of following for many many years. The 100 million that has been spent on the trio of reserves is ludicrous. The Coutinho loan was (imo) a colossal waste of money. Digne was a good singing but he's not having luck with injuires.

They got it so so right last season. It's no coincidence that their best players have come from the championship - where Smith identified very talented youngsters - or from their youth team.

But the mentality their owners palpably have now (palpable in the sense that they've spent 10 million to borrow Coutinho), is that money spent equals success. And, yes, that genuinely correlates. Throw enough **** at the wall and some sticks.

If a team with Villa's financial clout and board's aspirations had any sort of nous, they'd be dangerous. As it is, the only danger they have now is of doing a Sunderland (or a Villa from 10 years ago). They've gambled massively and it's not working.
Villa can look at Everton and see their own future. They are ambitious, but very naive. It will not end well.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
One of there biggest mistakes was appointing a member of the Premier League old boys club in Gerrard who cannot be seen by the press to do anything wrong, even watching the game today the commentators were referring to how good he is as a manager and how he needs a transfer window, his signings have been poor, Digne is injured more time than not, Coutiniho is a big name player due to a season and a half at Liverpool and has done nothing for years, Callum Chambers again has not done anything other than be a bit part player at arsenal for years.

In the summer they signed Bailey (who was destined to be world class according to this forum... who quite frankly is useless) Ings who is coming to the end of his career and hasn't been anywhere near the player he was at Southampton and they signed Buendia for 35 millions who didn't set the world alight for Norwich.

we may all criticise Wolves at times but our transfer policy is far better and far more sustainable, they only need to look at Everton to see what can happen to the scattergun approach

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Todays BBC gossip column says another £150/200m overhaul this summer. No wonder the vile players have packed up lol looking over their shoulders can’t say I blame them.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Not sure a good result changes the argument. We finished ten points behind them a year ago so not sure we have much room yet to be smug about anything. I quite fancy them to finish ahead of us next term.
If you can’t be smug after doing the double over them and being comfortably above them in the table when can you? not sure why your bringing last season into it? I notice you don’t mention the season before that when we finished 24 points above them.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure a good result changes the argument. We finished ten points behind them a year ago so not sure we have much room yet to be smug about anything. I quite fancy them to finish ahead of us next term.

Yeh. Why live in the present?

When you could live in the past.

..or future.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun are just as ambitious, it’s silly to equate spending money as the only metric to measure ambition.

Villa’s owners are rich, sprendfree and impatient. Could end up a huge success. At present looks more likely to end in tears, at least in the short term.

Digne and Coutinho were truly ludicrous signings. Indicative of the transfer policy, or lack of.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Fosun are just as ambitious, it’s silly to equate spending money as the only metric to measure ambition.

Villa’s owners are rich, sprendfree and impatient. Could end up a huge success. At present looks more likely to end in tears, at least in the short term.

Digne and Coutinho were truly ludicrous signings. Indicative of the transfer policy, or lack of.
villa need an overhaul every season that’s not sustainable

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Todays BBC gossip column says another £150/200m overhaul this summer. No wonder the vile players have packed up lol looking over their shoulders can’t say I blame them.

How can Aston Villa spend money the way they do every summer. The same as Everton, they seem to be able to spend what they want without infringing FFP.

And yes, I still don't understand how FFP works.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ambition is more than a cheque book

The only ambition I see from villa is to spend money and hope it's somehow successful
They will progress slowly but fans and owners will become impatient and the players look like they ain’t bothered funny

Southdownswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How can Aston Villa spend money the way they do every summer. The same as Everton, they seem to be able to spend what they want without infringing FFP.

It's simple....

If your face fits, you can spend as much as you like.
If it doesn't...........tough titties....

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have I missed something though?

Jason Mohammed mentioned today that Bruno had identified a list of players (or positions) that he wants this summer and has told the Board.

Not read this anywhere else?

Ned Stark

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Have I missed something though?

Jason Mohammed mentioned today that Bruno had identified a list of players (or positions) that he wants this summer and has told the Board.

Not read this anywhere else?
I heard this too, I think it was positions rather than players but don't know where it comes from (unless he's been reading the Mix!)

either way they took it as a positive and praised Bruno for being ambitious

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
In my opinion Vile will be bottom 7 next season and we will be top 8 again.

They really are **** and get way too much credit from the media and our fans. Their fans talking about another overhaul. It will not end well...

We will build, it may not be perfect but we will always have a plan...

Besides Bruno is thrice the manager Gerrard is.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

They can for a bit then it'll come to bite them (as it has Everton)

I liken maxing out FFP to maxing out all of your credit cards at the same time, and then getting another one and maxing that out. Great fun while it lasts but don't sort it out and you'll be in for some serious pain

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They have a fair few players that would get in our team, but they are largely a collection of individual players. We are the better ‘team’.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure I agree with you there.

Who would you have and who would they replace?

I’d have McGinn, Coutinho or Buendia in our midfield over Dendoncker to be honest.

We won the midfield today but they are still good players.

Watkins is a decent striker, as is a fit Danny Ings. Excited about Fabio after today though so not sure I’d have either over him!

Now I think about it….. most of their team is **** lol.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d have McGinn, Coutinho or Buendia in our midfield over Dendoncker to be honest.

We won the midfield today but they are still good players.

Watkins is a decent striker, as is a fit Danny Ings. Excited about Fabio after today though so not sure I’d have either over him!

Now I think about it….. most of their team is **** lol.
Completely forgot coutinho was playing today.

To be honest I can’t think of any of theirs I’d have over our players that played today or Raul and neves, who let’s be honest would have played.

They are a mishmash of players that don’t play as a team, some of them expensive players that aren’t worth the money they paid for them. They like many clubs go for the big names to appease the fans instead of getting players that they need.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They've gambled massively and it's not working.
They've stayed in the league which gives them income for next season, but i agree their investments have been a statement of intent rather than a direct translation to a top 8 team. Some money wasted on Coutinho....they could have paid 5 players salaries...Watford have got some seriously good players, they would have improved Villa.
They will have to watch FFP (like we did) and tread water for a few years, or magic up a great side with some astute buys (like we did).

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure how any team who has Tyrone Mings at centre back can be called “ambitious”. He’d be out of his depth playing in the Dog and Duck Sunday pub leagues.
Error prone Tyrone

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Completely forgot coutinho was playing today.

To be honest I can’t think of any of theirs I’d have over our players that played today or Raul and neves, who let’s be honest would have played.

They are a mishmash of players that don’t play as a team, some of them expensive players that aren’t worth the money they paid for them. They like many clubs go for the big names to appease the fans instead of getting players that they need.
Id take Digne and Martinez/Sa are both excellent. Ramsay is a top talent and Cash is a good squad player. Outside of them? Nah

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
About £399,999 too much ain’t it.
You forgot the 99 pence on the end Jade!

Gerrard wanted to make a statement signing for Villa when he was appointed and thought Coutinho would be it. Started well after signing, but hasn’t done much for them has he.

Earning 4 times a week (apparently £400,000) more than our 35 year old midfield maestro (apparently £100,000) is on. I know who I would rather have playing in our side!

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's appears Villa's Egyptian owners have more ambition than our owners have got atm. With the latest reports that Vanilla are chasing big name players.

Whereas we look like we're going to miss out like we did in summer window without any ambitions from Fosun for the foreseeable future.

Reasons why Fosun International appear to have lost that ambition to get WWFC back into European football again??

No they are just more stupid. £400m on that steaming pile of crap

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
LOL @Hot Fuss but you've blindly missed the point of this thread then because it's point is not about the vile..
It's about the lack of funds and ambition by our owners in the past 2 or is it 3 transfer windows now.

And you’ve missed the point. It’s about our club finding value and being sustainable but also successful in the long term

The Villa (and Everton) approach is very high risk

Agent Cooper

Reaction score
Difference between us and Villa? Simply recruitment. We have a smart recruitment plan. Villa seem to have no plan other than throw big money at big names. We recruited a top notch, tactically astute, coach. Villa went for the so called big name. To think three coaches we were supposedly interested in/ interviewed (Gerrard, Benitez & Lampard) are floundering in Bruno's wake. Can't wait to see how we do next season with a few Bruno led recruitment tweaks in the summer. Viva Scott Sellars

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Difference between us and Villa? Simply recruitment. We have a smart recruitment plan. Villa seem to have no plan other than throw big money at big names. We recruited a top notch, tactically astute, coach. Villa went for the so called big name. To think three coaches we were supposedly interested in/ interviewed (Gerrard, Benitez & Lampard) are floundering in Bruno's wake. Can't wait to see how we do next season with a few Bruno led recruitment tweaks in the summer. Viva Scott Sellars
Exactly

according to transfer speculation they are interested in Phillips at Leeds for £60m and saint maximin for £50m.

I know it’s rumours but shows they think throwing money at it will resolve the issue.

Back
Top Bottom