Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Has Nuno Lost Heart?

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d always hoped Wolves fans had more backbone than this. Very disappointing
Why do I lack backbone for asking if Nuno has lost heart? He looks depressed and I’m worried about him.
I don’t want him out, I don’t think we can get someone better in either, I’m just worried that he looks to have lost his mojo at the moment.
I’m not sure why posting this observation on a wolves discussion board shows a lack of backbone?

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do I lack backbone for asking if Nuno has lost heart? He looks depressed and I’m worried about him.
I don’t want him out, I don’t think we can get someone better in either, I’m just worried that he looks to have lost his mojo at the moment.
I’m not sure why posting this observation on a wolves discussion board shows a lack of backbone?
Couldn't agree more mate. A picture speaks a thousand words. The bags under his eyes for example jumped out at me. Looks like he hasnt slept for a week.

D

Deleted member 11157

We cannot as a small fish (in financial terms) in the EPL pond afford a large squad of the requisite quality. We do not have the revenues to make that feasible. Those bemoaning the small squad thing are overlooking the fact that it's born out of financial necessity, and Fosun chose a manager who is prepared to work within those constraints. We cannot at present afford the big squad of quality players some fans are wishing for, however much some might crave one.

Absolutely. The LeamWolf view is what happens when the club ' overachieve ' or set a standard that is ahead of the project plan. All context goes out the window and expectation/ demand takes over. The normal pragmatic critique of the fan ie he didn't play well because blah blah blah turns to panic, hysteria and flawed character dissections. Throw in a few science manuals and hey presto ...

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely. The LeamWolf view is what happens when the club ' overachieve ' or set a standard that is ahead of the project plan. All context goes out the window and expectation/ demand takes over. The normal pragmatic critique of the fan ie he didn't play well because blah blah blah turns to panic, hysteria and flawed character dissections. Throw in a few science manuals and hey presto ...
Yup, the more that you achieve the more is expected. By definition not all clubs can improve every year.

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's definitely a strong aroma of toddler tantrums in these parts of late!

D

Deleted member 11157

Yup, the more that you achieve the more is expected. By definition not all clubs can improve every year.

I think the knowledge, expertise and support ( ie Mendes/Shi) at the club is incredible given what went in the past. Sometimes you take a step back to go two forward. Emphasis on development and learning.

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do think that is a vast and under simplification to dismiss my thoughts.

I think players can play badly for basic reasons, on any given night, but to reduce my opinion to flawed character dissections and few science manuals is a bit disrespectful. We have churned out multiple “worst performances of the season” and “worst performance under nuno” contenders this season.

You do realise when a team or business over achieves, the expectations and goals are often moved and you are judged to a better and higher standard? It is to ensure development and achievement can be tracked accurately if the original “plan” was deemed too easy or you get too far ahead to ensure you reach the goal without complacency setting in and a downward trend in performance.

So my elevated expectations are because we have done well for TWO seasons in the prem not one, the third season shouldn’t then be your worst one. That is a sign of regression, pure and simple. The playing staff has only changed by two and those that remain didn’t become bad players over night and the majority have turned in good performances for their country this season, so the issue is clearly closer to home.

none of what I have said isn’t based upon accurate stats of what the team/players have produced this season or even the last games post resumption where we turned in some woeful performances; Sheffield Utd away, Arsenal at home, Burnley and Chelsea last game of the season. So my opinion isn’t based upon
“panic, hysteria and flawed character dissections. Throw in a few science manuals and hey presto” as you want to frankly dismiss them as, because I dare question the manager and what he is doing. You may wish to ignore he has tried twice to change his plan/style and been SACKED twice because he failed, but I can’t. It shows he hasn’t got the ability to do it.

he didn’t need to make the changes to the style, approach, we were doing well. The media liked how we played as did the neutral. Now our first half lack of goals is the stuff of **** taking banter by the cons teams and media alike, and ex pros have said we aren’t close to the same wolves team we have been the last two seasons. Are they sharing panic based opinion too?

we just needed quality additions and upgrades. He did that and without a doubt we would be sat in the top 4/5 teams currently.

I am sorry if you want to see a cheerier picture than I do, we all see things differently. But it doesn’t make mine panic based when we have been poor on the pitch since last seasons resumption and worse than that since the start of this season to now. I am looking at a picture of 6-8 months not just a handful of games. That isn’t blind panic, I am simply stating that I and others have too seen a worrying trend since the re-start that hasn’t improved into this point at nearly half a season.

Last edited:

IrchyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the knowledge, expertise and support ( ie Mendes/Shi) at the club is incredible given what went in the past. Sometimes you take a step back to go two forward. Emphasis on development and learning.
This is undoubtedly true and yet with transfers out, long term injuries etc there is a danger with the emphasis on progressing and blooding youth of our becoming a creche for talent over a more 'balanced' side (in terms of age and experience).
I also feel that the squad and management team are feeling the loss of contact with the fans in the stadium more keenly than most other clubs at a time when Nuno could really do with our 'twelfth man.'

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we punched a bit over our weight for the first 2 seasons, so ending up 7 th. was a tad lucky.
This season we are playing more attacking soccer than previously and its usually more entertaining although Lady Luck was against us in some games.
We are not regressing. We are more or less at our standard.

Yes, fans tend to make the ceiling the floor......but that’s their problem......has nothing to do with Shi or Nuno.

D

Deleted member 11157

You do realise when a team or business over achieves, the expectations and goals are often moved and you are judged to a better and higher standard? It is to ensure development and achievement can be tracked accurately if the original “plan” was deemed too easy or you get too far ahead to ensure you reach the goal without complacency setting in and a downward trend in performance.

Yes I am well aware of projects, plannning and also budgets. There is also the concept of overtrading in relation to access/allocation of resources. Have to say I've never heard of a project plan that is ahead of schedule called ' too easy ' but I like it. My friend, you are lovely, truly fragrant and entertaining but come across as somebody who has eaten some manuals and is now shatting post it notes, flip charts and paper clips. Have you ever considered a career in the civil service ?

Leave the beautiful game to Sir Nuno of Whitmore Reans.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that you misunderstood the thrust of my last post. I completely agree with you.

D

Deleted member 11157

This is undoubtedly true and yet with transfers out, long term injuries etc there is a danger with the emphasis on progressing and blooding youth of our becoming a creche for talent over a more 'balanced' side (in terms of age and experience).
I also feel that the squad and management team are feeling the loss of contact with the fans in the stadium more keenly than most other clubs at a time when Nuno could really do with our 'twelfth man.'

I think it's very bold to set up the squad like he has but there is that inherent risk if you lose half the team through injury. Pound for pound the kids that have come in have been a credit to the shirt given the quality of opposition. They will benefit massively from the past month. I think you are spot on regarding the fans and while it's the same for all football just isn't the same. **** times for everybody and it must be very hard for them to keep putting on the show. Utmost respect for all teams.

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes I am well aware of projects, plannning and also budgets. There is also the concept of overtrading in relation to access/allocation of resources. Have to say I've never heard of a project plan that is ahead of schedule called ' too easy ' but I like it. My friend, you are lovely, truly fragrant and entertaining but come across as somebody who has eaten some manuals and is now shatting post it notes, flip charts and paper clips. Have you ever considered a career in the civil service ?

Leave the beautiful game to Sir Nuno of Whitmore Reans.

oh my god, your post is amazing and I am not taking the mickey I swear.

as your bit about swallowing manuals and shatting post it notes genuinely has me laughing it is a class comment, you aren’t far wrong on what I moved into doing post sport sector hahaha. So it really has made me smile, thank you my god I have needed it!!!! As while I might be hating Covid life I don’t hate myself enough to join the civil service!!! That is a fate worse than death

i was lucky to be given the chance to trade the tracksuit for a nice suit by a guy who took a punt on me when so many wouldn’t at a company like the one I am in, as I don’t have a degree in business. But I am working in Performance and process improvement, and while I haven’t read those manuals as I bloody hate the cheese fest the are, I do have to present my message and finding to those that have.

So you spotting that and calling it out is brilliant and for me worrying hahaha.

I can’t wait for pubs to re-open as I am becoming a cheese corp guy and that isn’t what I want lol.

i hope your comment of “My friend, you are lovely, truly fragrant” wasn’t sarcastic or facetious as I don’t want to come across as an a-hole (at times I know I can) but only craving the debate you get after the game over a beer with the lads and fellow footy lovers. I am actually a fun loving guy when Covid isn’t destroying the world and I can go out........ being Locked in the hous due to shielding and not seeing anyone in person but my wife and GP since March has been bloody rough I tell you.......I decided to post on here after being a lurker for about 4/5 years I think, to engage and chat with more people who love the club as much as I do as I have frankly needed it.

i hope the fact This club is my everything now in the sports arena, and hasn’t been lost in my postings, as I have signed and framed bully shirt and testimonial match programs and shirts from neves and Matt Murray, plus my childhood second hero Mike Stowell!!!! on top of a few squad signed shirts. And there like so many others in the ground through the double Relegation and the funky league one journey so am not a totally spoiled brat haha.

as being honest papper, I have enjoyed our back and forth on this , as I have others on here and hope we can have a bit of banter going forward.

but seriously, well played at shooting close to what I do now from that project section!!!

I am now off to find more people to speed up the Covid vaccine roll out, so Pubs and molineux can re-open and I can get away from that way of speaking ASAP hahaha.

Last edited:

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ridiculous thread

he’s barely had any time on training ground with his first team to implement a significant change in system and he hasn’t had a window to sign players for this window
While I agree with you, I do have the question- in view of the circumstances you describe, why did he change the system and not try and 'cruise' to another 'safe' 7h place?

D

Deleted member 11157

oh my god, your post is amazing and I am not taking the mickey I swear.

as your bit about swallowing manuals and shatting post it notes genuinely has me laughing it is a class comment, you aren’t far wrong on what I moved into doing post sport sector hahaha. So it really has made me smile, thank you my god I have needed it!!!! As while I might be hating Covid life I don’t hate myself enough to join the civil service!!! That is a fate worse than death

i was lucky to be given the chance to trade the tracksuit for a nice suit by a guy who took a punt on me when so many wouldn’t at a company like the one I am in, as I don’t have a degree in business. But I am working in Performance and process improvement, and while I haven’t read those manuals as I bloody hate the cheese fest the are, I do have to present my message and finding to those that have.

So you spotting that and calling it out is brilliant and for me worrying hahaha.

I can’t wait for pubs to re-open as I am becoming a cheese corp guy and that isn’t what I want lol.

i hope your comment of “My friend, you are lovely, truly fragrant” wasn’t sarcastic or facetious as I don’t want to come across as an a-hole (at times I know I can) but only craving the debate you get after the game over a beer with the lads and fellow footy lovers. I am actually a fun loving guy when Covid isn’t destroying the world and I can go out........ being Locked in the hous due to shielding and not seeing anyone in person but my wife and GP since March has been bloody rough I tell you.......I decided to post on here after being a lurker for about 4/5 years I think, to engage and chat with more people who love the club as much as I do as I have frankly needed it.

i hope the fact This club is my everything now in the sports arena, and hasn’t been lost in my postings, as I have signed and framed bully shirt and testimonial match programs and shirts from neves and Matt Murray, plus my childhood second hero Mike Stowell!!!! on top of a few squad signed shirts. And there like so many others in the ground through the double Relegation and the funky league one journey so am not a totally spoiled brat haha.

as being honest papper, I have enjoyed our back and forth on this , as I have others on here and hope we can have a bit of banter going forward.

but seriously, well played at shooting close to what I do now from that project section!!!

I am now off to find more people to speed up the Covid vaccine roll out, so Pubs and molineux can re-open and I can get away from that way of speaking ASAP hahaha.

Yeah it's a giggle. I'm well ensconsed in the cynical phase of life and struggle to find sense in anything least of all myself. Certainly don't take the footy as seriously as I used to. Currently researching the 'social credit' system in China - absolutely fascinating. Anyway, keep at it and best wishes.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We arent going to stay on an upward trajectory year after year. Sometimes you have to take a step backwards and re-evaluate to move forwards. I'm sure Nuno and Fosun are well aware of this and while the results and performances havent been great, they will see the bigger picture. Look at Leicester City for example. They even won the league then went backwards pretty rapidly but got themselves back on track. I've got no worries about our future under the current regime. I'm just not stupid enough to over react over whats happening now because i also see the bigger picture.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yeah it's a giggle. I'm well ensconsed in the cynical phase of life and struggle to find sense in anything least of all myself. Certainly don't take the footy as seriously as I used to. Currently researching the 'social credit' system in China - absolutely fascinating. Anyway, keep at it and best wishes.
Fascinating? Bloody chilling is the phrase I'd use, especially with the developments in facial recognition

DPE

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Small squad lots of injuries = reduced performances.

The only bit I don’t understand is why for the past 2 seasons we have lost our Mojo and are boring to watch.

Don’t believe there is any issue with Nuno apart from he feels it like we all do when we loose.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We arent going to stay on an upward trajectory year after year. Sometimes you have to take a step backwards and re-evaluate to move forwards. I'm sure Nuno and Fosun are well aware of this and while the results and performances havent been great, they will see the bigger picture. Look at Leicester City for example. They even won the league then went backwards pretty rapidly but got themselves back on track. I've got no worries about our future under the current regime. I'm just not stupid enough to over react over whats happening now because i also see the bigger picture.
Well said Mugwump. I do worry about Nuno, and the fact he has lost some of his mojo when speaking. I put it down to the injuries, covid, the difficuly he must face not seeing family etc. My only concern with the Leicester model is, after Ranieri won them the title, they went through 2 or 3 managers before Brendan Rodgers made them a force again. Just hope Fosun are sensible enough to accept this step backwards without making any rash decisions (other than giving Nuno a lot of money to spend!).

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do think that Nuno (and the players) draw a lot of energy from the crowd and this has been removed.
I don't think we should underestimate the effect a very loud, raucous and sometimes downright hostile Molineux can have on both our players and the opposition.

Missing your main goal threat and 50% of your first choice defence has to have an effect

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well said Mugwump. I do worry about Nuno, and the fact he has lost some of his mojo when speaking. I put it down to the injuries, covid, the difficuly he must face not seeing family etc. My only concern with the Leicester model is, after Ranieri won them the title, they went through 2 or 3 managers before Brendan Rodgers made them a force again. Just hope Fosun are sensible enough to accept this step backwards without making any rash decisions (other than giving Nuno a lot of money to spend!).
Weren’t some Leicester fans calling for Rodgers to be sacked at one point?

Beeches wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Well said. Nuno has given us supporters three wonderful seasons. Its now time for us supporters to give something back. Let him know we're right with him, Not just through the good times.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
he didn’t need to make the changes to the style, approach, we were doing well. The media liked how we played as did the neutral. Now our first half lack of goals is the stuff of **** taking banter by the cons teams and media alike, and ex pros have said we aren’t close to the same wolves team we have been the last two seasons. Are they sharing panic based opinion too?
This is where your argument falls down. Teams were learning to play against us and therefore could counter and nullify our approach. For evidence look at most of last season where teams sat a lot deeper and didn’t over commit players, we were still had to break down but our attacking play could become laboured and we drew a lot of games. This has happened to Sheffield United and to some extent Leeds (listen to Mourinho’s comments post match). Nuno believes we need to evolve and develop different approaches if we are to remain competitive. He could have waited until the next close season where he could drill the players accordingly but he hasn’t. Consequently the evolution is slower as he has less time to hone it on the training field.

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is where your argument falls down. Teams were learning to play against us and therefore could counter and nullify our approach. For evidence look at most of last season where teams sat a lot deeper and didn’t over commit players, we were still had to break down but our attacking play could become laboured and we drew a lot of games. This has happened to Sheffield United and to some extent Leeds (listen to Mourinho’s comments post match). Nuno believes we need to evolve and develop different approaches if we are to remain competitive. He could have waited until the next close season where he could drill the players accordingly but he hasn’t. Consequently the evolution is slower as he has less time to hone it on the training field.
fair shout mate, I do agree with you on the need to change/add new approaches. I just think like you said the timing may not have been ideal.

but a few quality additions ontop of the existing quality may have helped the transition along.

but he has time with no international footy for a while to drill it

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno doesnt have the sort of character to "lose heart" not at all. He is however in a perfect storm right now. Thousands of miles away from home and his family for months, christmas on his own (these things will effect anyone) along with the stress of being helpless in that respect.

On the football side, it must be a constant fire fight, assessing who in the squad is match fit, a glut of injuries that weve never had all whilst trying to alter how we play.

He's a tough individual with a steely determination, I doubt he's panicking too much and I doubt the powers that be are either. Beat Palace, beat Tesco and the smile will be back on the big mans face.

Now is not the time for anyone involved with the club (inlcuding us fans) to panic.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His point is quiet? Moot methinks that you mean. I would have thought that someone of your education would at least know the correct word to use. Capital letters and punctuation help too.... Just saying....

You would like to think so, but judging by the language atrocities I see regularly committed in work communiques by nurses, all of whom by definition would be bachelors of science...perhaps not.

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You would like to think so, but judging by the language atrocities I see regularly committed in work communiques by nurses, all of whom by definition would be bachelors of science...perhaps not.

let’s keep it focused on football matey, rather than a personal shot at people who work hard especially in these horrific times.

Last edited:

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We cannot as a small fish (in financial terms) in the EPL pond afford a large squad of the requisite quality. We do not have the revenues to make that feasible. Those bemoaning the small squad thing are overlooking the fact that it's born out of financial necessity, and Fosun chose a manager who is prepared to work within those constraints. We cannot at present afford the big squad of quality players some fans are wishing for, however much some might crave one.

Ta-daaa! Unless you’re Citeh, or the other big money clubs to a lesser extent, the choices are:
Small squad of decent quality throughout. (Us)
Squad full of dross with the odd star. (Palarse)
Deep squad of bang average players. (The ****)

All investment has a limit these days, especially with most clubs haemorrhaging money due to Covid. Do we not realise that even a net zero transfer spend in the summer is more than most clubs are managing?

Corporal Hicks

Groupie
Reaction score
Slightly surprised by your final statement Mugwump not something I've come to expect from your posts, quite the sweeping statement and I suspect not the way you intended for it to come across.
Everyone is different, some able to share their justified concerns on 'the here and now' more articulately than others, some are simply highly emotional. Like most on here I understand the big picture but I've also I've presented my concerns on the 'here and now', rationally and in a balanced way, is that over reacting and means I/we're stupid?
We're all fans of this great club and Nuno but to be labelling a selection of us stupid and short sighted is rude and poor form, sorry to say.

Back
Top Bottom