Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Has Nuno Lost Heart?

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For the first time, I am starting to suspect that we may now be in the end phase of Nuno's time as manager of Wolves. Let me be clear, I love Nuno, and I can't see a time I'd ever want him to leave, but I think he may walk this summer unless Fosun really do pull several major rabbits out of hats this window (which I think is quite unlikely). I think Nuno was sold on the Wolves 'project' on the basis that Fosun were going to invest aggressively to make Wolves a top Premier League force. Unfortunately, since that time, a serious deterioration in diplomatic relations between London and Beijing to the point that Sino-British relations are now quite frosty indeed, means that now Fosun no longer has the blessing of the Chinese Government to invest in a British project in the way they envisaged when they bought Wolves in 2016. In China, the Government rules the roost and Chinese businesses have to do the Government's bidding, even businesses that the Government favours, like Fosun. This means that the vision that Nuno was sold and reality have diverged between summer 2017 and now. Unless Fosun are prepared to find money to finance acquisitions this window (and I'm doubtful that there's much money in the kitty), I can really see Nuno tiring of the project and tiring of trying to push a boulder up a hill. The EPL is brutal, and without significant finance, any sustained success is impossible. Fosun were at one time talking of significant investment, but now the talk is of 'living within our means'. The mood music has changed, and, sadly, with everything else that's going on in the world, I can see Nuno throwing in the towel at the end of the season. For me, it will be a very sad day if it happens.
We were saying all this in the summer, then we went and spent 35m on Silva, 37m on Semedo. The lack of investment in the stadium is a slight concern, but more because I think they still want to leave the site rather than rebuild it.

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this will be his last transfer window for Wolves. Just a gut feeling that four seasons will be enough for him.

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were saying all this in the summer, then we went and spent 35m on Silva, 37m on Semedo. The lack of investment in the stadium is a slight concern, but more because I think they still want to leave the site rather than rebuild it.
But net spend in the summer was broadly neutral, i.e. money out was roughly equal to money in (in other words, living within our means rather than investing aggressively). What happened in the summer supports my point, rather than contradicting it.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To me, maybe he’s lost belief in himself.

Before this year it was always believe in our ideas, never change, persist in what we believe, and we did so, we kept largely the same shape and line up, but since the Sevilla defeat, he’s questioned his self and his way of playing.

The biggest concern for me is the constantly changing line ups and formations. And that’s not down to injuries, it’s been since the start of the season. Be it three at the back or two, Saiss or Kilman, two in midfield or three, Neves or Moutinho, or both, Traore starting or on the bench, wide or central. Neto and Podence wide and supporting the attacker or they are the attackers. Marcal or Ait Nouri. Boly, left or right, or playing at all?

All questions, and none that he really seems to know the answer to. I get looking to change, 2 at the back versus 3, but he’s gone now to changing it from game to game. Trying to react to the opposition instead of having belief in our ideas as it was. It can’t help the players, and I don’t think it’s helping Nuno himself.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But net spend in the summer was broadly neutral, i.e. money out was roughly equal to money in (in other words, living within our means rather than investing aggressively). What happened in the summer supports my point, rather than contradicting it.
Maybe, we shall see. This January window will be key.

Ian C

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve always respected Nuno on arrival. Love the man and his ethos, he’s a legend. Beginning to wonder if he’s done enough though...?

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree that this current window is the real acid test. If this window is bodged, it will be proof that Fosun have definitively taken their foot off the gas. I hope they surprise me by 'going large'.
I don’t expect them to go large per se, but if we come out of it without a decent name striker and midfield reinforcement then I’m going to be worried. Nuno’s quote tonight made me shudder

“the answer is in the squad and not in the transfer market.”

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t expect them to go large per se, but if we come out of it without a decent name striker and midfield reinforcement then I’m going to be worried. Nuno’s quote tonight made me shudder

I don't set too much store by comments made by Nuno to the media. He's not going to come out and say, "We're in the market for a top-class striker" (even if we are), because such remarks will just add extra zeros to the end of the purchase prices we get quoted for players.

We know that the club plays its cards very close to its chest where transfers are concerned in the Fosun era, and this window is going to be no different. We will only learn of any activity (if there is any) after the event. The club will not flag up what they're hoping to do in advance.

Ian C

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep, we’re ****ed. Nuno lost his ****

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We’ve needed all of that for at least 2 seasons. Don’t hold your breath.

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just watched the post match interview. The bloke looks absolutely knackered and flat. Something is going on behind the scenes I think.

Whats going on is Fosun doesn't fund Nuno enough to grow the squad and instead forces him to use teenagers. He can control his in match decisions which are another issue but I dont feel Fosun have fully supported him in 12 months.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whats going on is Fosun doesn't fund Nuno enough to grow the squad and instead forces him to use teenagers. He can control his in match decisions which are another issue but I dont feel Fosun have fully supported him in 12 months.
Is it inconceivable to think that Fosun don’t believe Nuno is the man to take us to the next level? After all he wasn’t their first choice.

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it inconceivable to think that Fosun don’t believe Nuno is the man to take us to the next level? After all he wasn’t their first choice.

Its conceivable but why the sudden change of heart? I get Sino-Anglo relations are poor but ffs still spent 60m on a teenager and Semedo so clearly they ain't skint

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
@Kebab Warrior maybe with all the unnecessarily bad flack your getting here..
The title of this thread should read. " Nuno taken Wolves as far as he possibly can" Or maybe not..
Just trying to divert some flack from your way buddy. I know where you're coming from and can absolutely see this in Nuno atm :(
Not sure you’re the man to advise on thread titles that divert flack Jay Jay.

D

Deleted member 5910

Nobody has any certainty that this season will be finished. There is a general malaise everywhere, but Wolves were a club that managed that vital 10% extra with the fans present. The fine margins, along with the terrible injury list, are not favourable but the absence of passion/atmosphere is hurting the club.
Hmm, can't see the season being interrupted like last time- with the Euros coming up, it needs to be full steam ahead. We were caught cold by Covid the first time; now we have a vaccine and elite sportsman exemption in any case. Wouldn't let some unprofessionalism from Fulham disturb you- the FA / PL need to come down hard on clubs who fail to control their players' IMO. Heard a few Spurs players broke lockdown rules over Xmas- award clubs default wins if they can't fulfil a fixture in that case.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But hasnt he said he's happy with a small squad on a number of occasions?

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont get how some of you lot can be so stupid not to realise why we signed these teenagers. I agree we needed others as well, but sometimes you need to bring in these young fellas when you have the chance, and along with the Brexit issue, the stars lined up to bring them in.

I dont blame Nuno one bit, or anyone away from their families because of Covid to get a little despondent and jaded by the whole thing. I'm sure some of you lot have no kind empathy for people in that situation. Probably the sort of people who think because they earn a fortune they should suck it up. Its getting embarrassing some of the negativity here.

D

Deleted member 11157

Missing half the first team with bench players coming in and matching Spurs, UTD and Chelsea. If I was Nuno I would be absolutely chuffed at what they are achieving this season as long as the trajectory remains upwards. I find these threads hilarious at times but to paint Nuno as some type of broken man who has lost it really takes the biscuit. There is absolutely no logic behind it. The guy is no quitter and they will be back at it.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno hasn’t lost heart.
Good grief, he leaves that nonsense to some Mixers.
You don’t get to be a PL coach without intelligence, some grit, some stamina and a sense of purpose.
Do some of you think Fosun hired him from a McDonald’s franchise?

Incredible, that after all the experiences of previous owners and managers, some don’t yet have the measure of the man, even after 4 years.

Last edited:

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why did they give him a new contract then?
Compensation if he were wanted by a bigger club this year if the performances hadn’t dropped.

fosun were protecting their investment

same reason Utd instigated the extra year in lingaards contract just before the 1st of jan, same reason we activated clauses and extended some loan players who will never play for wolves. You never let an asset of value that you have invested in leave for free. Football is as much of a business as it is a sport.

it is very clever business by fosun

D

Deleted member 11157

Compensation if he were wanted by a bigger club this year if the performances hadn’t dropped.

fosun were protecting their investment

same reason Utd instigated the extra year in lingaards contract just before the 1st of jan, same reason we activated clauses and extended some loan players who will never play for wolves. You never let an asset of value that you have invested in leave for free. Football is as much of a business as it is a sport.

it is very clever business by fosun

I would hazard a guess that it was because he got us to the FA Cup / Europa Cup Semi finals with a healthy position in the league.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jonny Otto, Raul Jimenez, Leander Dendoncker, Willy Boly and now Daniel Podence..
Key players in an ever growing injury list to a small squad. No wonder why Nuno is looking so sad :(
Having to rely on so many teenagers was not Fosun's or Nuno plan or project for this season..

They were looking too far into the future. NOW is the time to change & tweak their plan. Otherwise the plan is imploding somewhat!
That is why Nuno looks so disheartened imho
Having a small squad and the risk of injuries resulting in what we had yesterday was/is always due to Nuno's plan I'm afraid.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really?
That statement is, well, interesting.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He can lose heart all he wants, fosuns patience will be lost first considering they have provided what he's wanted in all departments and a few injures to first eleven players (Jonny, raul and podence, boly had been dropped and Donk was in and out) and all of a sudden our first team is a mess.... Hmmm. Poor management?

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For the first time, I am starting to suspect that we may now be in the end phase of Nuno's time as manager of Wolves. Let me be clear, I love Nuno, and I can't see a time I'd ever want him to leave, but I think he may walk this summer unless Fosun really do pull several major rabbits out of hats this window (which I think is quite unlikely). I think Nuno was sold on the Wolves 'project' on the basis that Fosun were going to invest aggressively to make Wolves a top Premier League force. Unfortunately, since that time, a serious deterioration in diplomatic relations between London and Beijing to the point that Sino-British relations are now quite frosty indeed, means that now Fosun no longer has the blessing of the Chinese Government to invest in a British project in the way they envisaged when they bought Wolves in 2016. In China, the Government rules the roost and Chinese businesses have to do the Government's bidding, even businesses that the Government favours, like Fosun. This means that the vision that Nuno was sold and reality have diverged between summer 2017 and now. Unless Fosun are prepared to find money to finance acquisitions this window (and I'm doubtful that there's much money in the kitty), I can really see Nuno tiring of the project and tiring of trying to push a boulder up a hill. The EPL is brutal, and without significant finance, any sustained success is impossible. Fosun were at one time talking of significant investment, but now the talk is of 'living within our means'. The mood music has changed, and, sadly, with everything else that's going on in the world, I can see Nuno throwing in the towel at the end of the season. For me, it will be a very sad day if it happens.
Aghhhhh....et tu John?
oh dear

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It the older players I think may be losing heart. They are players , winners ,not trainers or teachers. Having so many kids puts pressure on the few .

Patricio and Moutinho - it must be difficult in such a young side. Our defence is under constant pressure due to the inability to score or hold the ball up front .

Last edited:

GuzzWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think once we get back to full strength we will be fine to push on..last ten games after Easter everyone will be in a better place hopefully.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He just needs a bit of help. Things haven’t gone to plan and we literally have half a team out injured. Get a couple of players in and get our lads back from injury and we can still have a strong second half to the season.

Hazza

Reaction score
I don’t think he’s lost heart. He know like us that if Silva and Owen put headers away v Spurs and Brighton, and Saiss deflects Rashford shot wide we’d be 6th, with an injury ravaged squad and several teenage debutants over the last month.

He’s probably disappointed and that will show in post match interviews, any manager would be like that. Contrast Graham Potters emotions from the same result - 1 point for both teams.

his face still light up at times, when he speaks of Rauls recovery for example - he still cares. He speaks about supporters in the ground a lot and I think he misses that connection possibly more than other managers do.

if by the end of January we have a fully functioning Boly, solid Jonny and Dendonker as an option in midfield and hopefully an experienced striker on board I think we’ll see the energised Nuno returning.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think he's just missing the fans, he's mentioned it before, he also said the players thrive with it. The Joy of the job is lost without the fans. Every match must feel like a reserve match. I keep wondering about the sevilla tie. Two legs in a normal season with fans, molineux would have been electric and may have got us through. We'll have old Nuno back when things are back to normal probably next season tho.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fine margins. Opens header goes in yesterday and all the comments are about how despite being poor in the second half we stuck with it and got a result against a bogey team. Late goal for Man u etc. We are as far down the table as we could be in reality ...we have had no good luck this season it seems. Nuno does seem more stressed than usual imo. Like us he will be disappointed with recent results. Unlike us he is in position to do something about it.
Some new faces in would be good, so would a bit more positivity on the rare occasions we build a lead.
I dont want the man gone, I am not sure anyone would get more out of our squad that he built. But the man is not immune to criticism. There are things in his power that he needs to change.

Rufio

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Reality check, we were promoted 2 seasons ago.

Building a club up from a mid table championship side requires a bit of long term planning

If you are that reactionary 6 months after a Europa League quarter final then I feel sorry for you

Sorry mate, but I’m not having that. We were promoted two seasons ago, hailed as one of the best ever promoted teams. We had champions league players and a top class coach. Finished 7th and an Fa cup semi and then 7th again with a uefa cup quarterfinal. It’s not like we are Cardiff or Fulham, it’s not unreasonable for fans to question the progress of the team considering the last few years.

Tezthewolvesfan

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are always ups and downs in football, rough with the smooth and all that. To be a football Manager/Head Coach is a tough ask, Nuno has the support of Fosun, his staff, the players and the vast majority of fans.

Nuno isn't going anywhere and when we have a fit squad we will be fine.

Nuno and the board are not above criticism, however he, his team and the board know more about football than any member on this forum.

In Nuno and Fosun I do trust....

Back
Top Bottom