Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

Redhillwolf

Reaction score
He’d be a fantastic appointment which is why it won’t happen.
Lol! Weren’t we linked a few seasons ago?…in my dream he is the heir to GON and that’s why we’ve brought in the South American lads to fit his system and technical side of the game…maybe the delay is he’s learning English and GON is simply a stop gap until then….If Carlsberg did Wolves breaking news! LOL!

Redhillwolf

Reaction score

Holding out for a Prem job apparently…plays technical attacking football but solid defensively aswell. Plus we now have a South American contingent and don’t think he would cost much having only managed in Argentina. Go get him Mr Hobbs and let’s have an enjoyable season please!
Have just looked at his managerial stats…this guys record is incredible! Won pretty much everything to win in South America and has a 54% win rate in 463 games! His teams have scored nearly two goals a game in that time (over 800!) with a plus 422 goal difference having conceded less than a goal a game. Like I said above, with 4 South Americans now in our squad this would be the perfect time to go and get him…use some of the Nunes money to make it happen….come on Jeff…you know it makes sense!

roystonwolf

Reaction score
One thing Lopetegui was great at doing was ringing in the tactical changes as soon as he felt they were needed - it wasn't uncommon to see half time changes. They didn't always work (Man City away), but there was clearly a plan to react to the situation.

This might be coincidence, but in 4 of our 5 league games GON has made his first change on the hour mark. Give or take 3 minutes. The only game where he didn't do this was Brighton, where he was forced into an early substitution as Hwang was injured.

This feels like a 'fresh legs on the hour mark' approach to the game, rather than looking at what the opposition are doing and tweaking accordingly. Not being able to react appropriately at the right time will be our undoing.

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have just looked at his managerial stats…this guys record is incredible! Won pretty much everything to win in South America and has a 54% win rate in 463 games! His teams have scored nearly two goals a game in that time (over 800!) with a plus 422 goal difference having conceded less than a goal a game. Like I said above, with 4 South Americans now in our squad this would be the perfect time to go and get him…use some of the Nunes money to make it happen….come on Jeff…you know it makes sense!

Alot more to him than just those stats aswell. Pretty much every season he had a different squad because of players being sold and him fully utilising the youth academy.

Incredibly good manager, shocked he hasnt got a job yet. I'd love him here like I did with Di Zerbi, its not going to happen even if he begged Jeff for the job

RutlandWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I'm getting old and perhaps it's my memory but yesterday's first half was better than JLs 'master class' except we weren't fortunate enough to score a 2nd (though we should have). In the 2nd half of both games we were pushed back and only had a few break away attacks.
I doubt anyone is convinced by GON but it's clear that many posters on here are not going to give him a chance.
Many are giving him a chance but it's the falling off a cliff after halftime that's losing us games which didn't happen under Lop

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think there’s a team on the planet who can keep the tempo we set on Saturday for more than 45-60mins. That’s why we need to take our chances but also keep the ball better at times so we can get breathers in.

Saturday we were set up brilliantly but as soon as Liverpool changed and a few started to tire the entire house of cards fell down. The approach in the first half, in terms of effort, was **** or bust in that we needed to finish them off when we were well on top. As soon as Cunha missed his chance(s) I think we all knew that 1-0 at half time wasn’t going to be good enough.

RutlandWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
No pre-season under GON.

It isnt clear he isnt good enough yet; we have played well, very well, in parts and now we have 4 new faces to bed in, and hopefully Sasa being fit enough to start soon; GON may have to go, but not yet, he deserves until Fulham away for me. Knee jerk reactions rarely work.
Depends on your pov. Big weaknesses already being exposed but no plan B to deal with poor 45 to 60 min displays evident so far.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems to me people have made their minds up about O'Neill before he'd even managed us and now nothing will change them
If O'Neil started winning games you'd hear barely any dissenting voices.

I didn't want O'Neil but it hasn't stopped me still mentioning the things I've found encouraging - some of the football has been very good, we are creating more chances, he's playing some players in their proper positions again (Neto) and...... errrm.... That's about it.

However, his bizarre press conferences, inability to make changes proactively to try and change the course of the game before it becomes irretrievable, poor substitutions, limited in-game management and horribly eroding second half displays are being called out because they are very concerning.

We aren't anti O'Neil just for the sake of it. He isn't showing any signs that he's got what it takes to deliver even relative success in a season where expectations are the lowest for a long, long time

Last edited:

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One thing Lopetegui was great at doing was ringing in the tactical changes as soon as he felt they were needed - it wasn't uncommon to see half time changes. They didn't always work (Man City away), but there was clearly a plan to react to the situation.

This might be coincidence, but in 4 of our 5 league games GON has made his first change on the hour mark. Give or take 3 minutes. The only game where he didn't do this was Brighton, where he was forced into an early substitution as Hwang was injured.

This feels like a 'fresh legs on the hour mark' approach to the game, rather than looking at what the opposition are doing and tweaking accordingly. Not being able to react appropriately at the right time will be our undoing.
On your last two paragraphs, they hit the nail on the head perfectly in describing GO’s tactics and strategy for subs is old school and shows he has absorbed all the coaching manual but forgotten that feeling and intuition are crucial in the prem with the timing of changes to stay competitive.

He is by the book, paint by number and cookie cutter manager, meaning he is perfect for an age grade England job but not real world rope end elite football. Not a dig at age grade managers as some have done well in the lower leagues, but how many have delivered in the prem in the “money” era other than the manager of forest?

But his approach is why our second halves fall apart and he cannot influence a game, he had the same issues at Bournemouth, he just hasn’t got the needed top level or even championship level managerial IQ, might be an excellent coach, but sorry, never a premier league manager

Mel Eves on a bike

Reaction score
I keep hearing about poor substitutions but were they really that bad on Saturday? I did think the Doc one was strange but the others I felt were fine.

Every manager I’ve seen manage Wolves since there’s been an online forum of some sort has been criticised for their choice of substitutions and often for having favourite players that seem to play no matter what.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
this whole we cant keep that level up against teams i completely disagree, we weren't hairing about continually running, we merely closed them down in possession, when we won it back we would break at speed, but when a break wasn't on we kept the ball and moved the ball about with purpose and tempo. That's the crucial point, moving the ball about with tempo and purpose, 2nd half we trudged out and sat, slow grass cutters if not pressured or just hoof it anywhere and sit waiting for the next onslaught. This is the problem, that mindset trying to hang on rather than relieve pressure, holding on to the ball and having a proper out ball. Listen to GON's post match press it all negative and small time plucky wolves trying to hang on against these massive opposition teams blah blah blah.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

;)
"But Wolves abandoned their pursuit given the hurdles in poaching from a rival top-flight club days before the new season was due to begin."

So Edwards was firstchoice, and GON second choice? We only went for GON, because it was too difficult(expensive) to get Edwards.

An established PL club, and this is what our DOF went for. What a complete mess...

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I keep hearing about poor substitutions but were they really that bad on Saturday? I did think the Doc one was strange but the others I felt were fine.

Every manager I’ve seen manage Wolves since there’s been an online forum of some sort has been criticised for their choice of substitutions and often for having favourite players that seem to play no matter what.
Everything is subjective because you never get to see an alternative reality where different substitutions are made, but for me Doc was the right substitution as we were exposed down the right, but it was too late. It was clear Hwang was struggling, but by the time the change was made Liverpool had gained the impetus and psychological advantage. It is one of my key concerns with O'Neil (or any manager with such limited in-game experience) that he lacks the conviction of a seasoned manager like Lopetegui, who made changes proactively to seek to influence the game (and mostly to positive effect). Likewise, Boubacar made sense but it was pretty clear we were starting to flag a little in midfield and needed fresh legs long before the change was made. It's funny - you never know but maybe Lopetegui had a point about the squad and the reinforcements that were needed?!

Fabio was the wrong substitution. In O'Neil's defense we don't know all of the environmental possibilities as to why he went with Silva over Sasa, but the reality was his weak hold-up play was exposed and Liverpool were able to keep coming at us as a result.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think there’s a team on the planet who can keep the tempo we set on Saturday for more than 45-60mins. That’s why we need to take our chances but also keep the ball better at times so we can get breathers in.

Saturday we were set up brilliantly but as soon as Liverpool changed and a few started to tire the entire house of cards fell down. The approach in the first half, in terms of effort, was **** or bust in that we needed to finish them off when we were well on top. As soon as Cunha missed his chance(s) I think we all knew that 1-0 at half time wasn’t going to be good enough.
This is it in a nutshell.

We are like a boxer going all out in the first 5 rounds for the knockout and when round 6 comes we're gassed and hoping for the best.

To add to the problem, we're more of an Audley Harrison than a Deontay Wilder when it comes to finishing opponents off

WolvesAndCows

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

We are like a boxer going all out in the first 5 rounds for the knockout and when round 6 comes we're gassed and hoping for the best.

To add to the problem, we're more of an Audley Harrison than a Deontay Wilder when it comes to finishing opponents off
And we've got a leaky defence like Dillian Whyte.

Redhillwolf

Reaction score
this whole we cant keep that level up against teams i completely disagree, we weren't hairing about continually running, we merely closed them down in possession, when we won it back we would break at speed, but when a break wasn't on we kept the ball and moved the ball about with purpose and tempo. That's the crucial point, moving the ball about with tempo and purpose, 2nd half we trudged out and sat, slow grass cutters if not pressured or just hoof it anywhere and sit waiting for the next onslaught. This is the problem, that mindset trying to hang on rather than relieve pressure, holding on to the ball and having a proper out ball. Listen to GON's post match press it all negative and small time plucky wolves trying to hang on against these massive opposition teams blah blah blah.
Bang on mate…it was all about how we aimed to stop them and not how we intended to win the game or attack them and clear as day second half that it was hang on for our lives. The players must be wondering why they bother because almost everything he says is a dig at the way they play and making out we are some team of paupers! We have international players and winners throughout the squad for gods sake! We are not your crappy Bournemouth side of last year! We’ve shown what happens when we attack teams (United, 1st half v Brighton and 1st half at weekend) we’ve also then shown what happens when we drop deep and stop playing that way! Wake up Mr O’Neill or ship out and let somebody do the job that realises the potential on this squad and doesn’t write them off to the press!!!

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I don’t know if it has been mentioned on this thread, but I do wonder if the players aren’t fit enough, which is down to our training staff. Conceding 10 goals out of 11 in the second half of our 5 matches would seem to confirm that.

JL had a top class backroom staff and the players seemed a lot fitter than this season (so far). We could see out games and our home form was excellent.

We must improve our fitness levels imo.

Oh and GO must rethink what he says in the half time team talk as well!

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t know if it has been mentioned on this thread, but I do wonder if the players aren’t fit enough, which is down to our training staff. Conceding 10 goals out of 11 in the second half of our 5 matches would seem to confirm that.

JL had a top class backroom staff and the players seemed a lot fitter than this season (so far). We could see out games and our home form was excellent.

We must improve our fitness levels imo.

Oh and GO must rethink what he says in the half time team talk as well!
Jl doesnt start out games like GON is, they have the fitness, but we were coming into games 2nd half mainly with JL and getting stronger throughout, but resolute defence to not concede.

We are going all out with good attacking football, but if your going to do so, you need to take chances and in most case be up 2 in the first half.

Just needs to continue to push the press and bring on the personnel like traore etc earlier

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm getting old and perhaps it's my memory but yesterday's first half was better than JLs 'master class' except we weren't fortunate enough to score a 2nd (though we should have). In the 2nd half of both games we were pushed back and only had a few break away attacks.
I doubt anyone is convinced by GON but it's clear that many posters on here are not going to give him a chance.
Spot on - I am old too but that first half was excellent

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Has anyone got any handy data on how hard our players are working? Lopetegui used to want them to work hard, but then he did regularly change the players expected to do the pressing quite early. It's still the 15 minutes after half time that worries me, players working hard should come back out with another 15 minutes in them surely, but we dropped deep straight away.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Weirdly I was going to throw a similar boxing analogy in there as well!! It's bang on, if a side can weather the storm until 60 mins then we are in trouble if we aren't ahead by then.

WolvesAndCows

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Weirdly I was going to throw a similar boxing analogy in there as well!! It's bang on, if a side can weather the storm until 60 mins then we are in trouble if we aren't ahead by then.
In which case, management and players need to use their brains a bit more to manage the situation throughout the game.

Back
Top Bottom