Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Football in general (non-Wolves)

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Does anyone actually think this is a good idea? A major tournament every summer.

Pretty much every comment below it disagrees with the idea. How out of touch with fans can you be? What the **** is wrong with these people?
No it's a bad idea. A big reason we like these tournaments is that they're every four years, it makes them more special. Having them every year would just dilute them

Does make you think that the people running the game are businessmen first and foremost, then maybe somewhere down their list of priorities is being a fan

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No it's a bad idea. A big reason we like these tournaments is that they're every four years, it makes them more special. Having them every year would just dilute them

Does make you think that the people running the game are businessmen first and foremost, then maybe somewhere down their list of priorities is being a fan
The thing is, they spend their time chasing the money. They go about it completely backwards and it makes no sense.

Focus on the game, make it the best it can be and the money will undoubtedly follow.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The thing is, they spend their time chasing the money. They go about it completely backwards and it makes no sense.

Focus on the game, make it the best it can be and the money will undoubtedly follow.
It's greed mate, simple as that. Like you say, look after the game and the money will look after itself. If all of their ideas went through to make things a closed shop in Europe, international tournaments every year, football would quickly lose its appeal to the regular fan. I doubt they care unfortunately

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's greed mate, simple as that. Like you say, look after the game and the money will look after itself. If all of their ideas went through to make things a closed shop in Europe, international tournaments every year, football would quickly lose its appeal to the regular fan. I doubt they care unfortunately
I’m sure they’ll care when enough fans are pushed way from the game that the money starts to disappear too.

It’ll be too late then though. Football is consuming itself through greed and self interest.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m all for it however it should be done in the following way - and equivalent for euros

211 FIFA registered nations

round 1
Teams ranked 1-45 given byes
166 matches - Teams Ranked 46 - 211 play each other, with 83 progressing to next round

Round 2
128 matches - teams ranked 1-45 play winners of round 1, with 64 progressing

round 3
64 matches - 32 progressing

round 4
16 matches - 8 progressing

QF - 4 matches, 4 progressing
SF - 2 progressing
Final

rules of tournament
  • no draws/ballots to be made. All teams will compete on basis of rank. Highest ranked team remains in tournament to play lowest ranked team remaining in tournament. So in round one, 211 vs 46, 210 vs 47 and so on. In round two, 1 will played highest remaining ranked team
  • all games in each to be played on same day, with 3 days between rounds. For earlier rounds 4 matches per stadium per day. Morning, lunchtime, afternoon, evening, kick offs. Kick off time to be decided by penalty shootout of team ‘Kitman’
  • all games shall be completed. Extra time will be played.
  • extra time will consist of; 15 mins normal rules. If no winner moves to15 mins ‘multiball’, 2 balls in play, no offside and mandatory ‘rush back‘ goalies
  • if still no winner - penalty shootout, normal rules 5 each then sudden death.
  • previously subbed players will of course be allowed to come back on to take penalties as per current rules.
  • in normal play teams can have dedicated penalty takers. Temporary sub to take penalty (much like NFL kicker), replaced at next stoppage in play.
  • goals scored from outside of 30 yards, to be awarded 2 goals (see 3 point line in basketball for reference)

All done and dusted in 7 rounds, 24 days and we have a world champion.
No qualifiers needed, no pointless games against stupid ‘Sunday league’ level federations (SFA for example)
View attachment 20495L
I reckon we go The royal rumble route

Eight goals, eight random teams who can all gang up on the highest ranking teams

Last edited:

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’ll be a back 3 by the looks of it, so that means 5 midfielders / forwards.

If he is going with a back 3 I’d go 3-5-2 with Mount and Foden either side of a DM and then Sterling and Kane as the front 2.

Similar to the way we played in the last World Cup but Mount and Foden in place of Alli and Lingard.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another interesting story from the people at Tifo about the Colombian league in the 1950s. It would probably be a good idea for a Narcos type Netflix drama. Football and civil war combined. I wonder if we will see a similar league set up sometime in the future in some far flung corner of the world.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of all the rumours that fly about in the football world, the current one about James Rodriguez is a new one.

I'll leave it at that.
I've just googled it o_O
If it's true, at least there will be a guaranteed job as a pundit on the BBC.

Last edited:

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought I'd share the latest Tifo video on tactical periodisation training purely because it's something Wolves appear to do, or at least influences the coaches.

EDIT

How it used to be in 1930. I think Silva could do with watching the heading demonstration to be fair.

Last edited:

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It appears Derby County are close to having a new owner, Erik Alonso, a 29-year-old Spanish businessman.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I still cant believe the arrogance of Uefa to push ahead with this multinational Euros tournament. Reading on BBC that they have set deadlines for the host cities to commit to a number of fans they are allowing. What if the pandemic suddenly spikes in those countries? Just seems so arrogant that football is all that matters
This doesnt even start with the fact that the multihost tournament is a **** idea even in normal times let alone during a worldwide health pandemic. Yet they are still pushing ahead with it now, for what benefit? It all seems so ridiculous

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
10 games for racial abuse is justified?
That is the absolute minimum sentence under UEFA rules. It's not over yet either. A Police Scotland investigation continues. Jail time is a realistic possiblity.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's the literal maximum. What they need to do is increase that maximum
The rules say 'at least ten matches'. How is imposing a ten game ban the literal maximum?

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That is the absolute minimum sentence under UEFA rules. It's not over yet either. A Police Scotland investigation continues. Jail time is a realistic possiblity.
Not a chance - there is no way they can prove beyond reasonable doubt what he said. I saw the incident and subsequent reaction and I have no doubt he did what he is accused of. It was sly, it was deliberate and it was premeditated.
However, it is his word against 2 rangers players.

like I said when I saw it, I have no doubt he did it. But without conclusive video or audio evidence a good lawyer would have it thrown out in no time.
I’m actually surprised UEFA have banned him if I’m honest, perhaps lack of categoric evidence is the reason its only 10 games.

I’d also point out that whilst we can be (and should be) annoyed at the seeming leniency of the ban, the FA in probably their two highest profile cases failed miserably too.
Suarez got 8 game ban, Terry 4 games.

forge

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which match are you guys going to be watching tonight?

Personally, I’m going for the Madrid match just because if they go 1-0 first you will be able to hear Klopp seething from the touch line on the telly

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The rules say 'at least ten matches'. How is imposing a ten game ban the literal maximum?

Every report I've read has said maximum, just heard Sky report it as minimum yet heard Talksport - which is basically Sky on the radio - report it as maximum, also read that it's only the second time in nine years UEFA have issued this punishment

Maybe it's a fixed sanction?! Conflicting reports definitely. One thing I would say though, a few years back you could imagine UEFA hiding behind the fact he'd covered his mouth so as they couldn't 'prove' it, would have dodged it

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Personally, I’m going for the Madrid match just because if they go 1-0 first you will be able to hear Klopp seething from the touch line on the telly
Start with that one but hopefully real to put it bed early and hopefully Dortmund make a game of it with city

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

You picked the wrong one. All action so far in Dortmund.
Its my first champs league watch of the season and a belter. After watching wolves all year this is unbelievably refreshing :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

forge

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Norwich just got promoted
Wonder if they’ll have the same fate as last time

Back
Top Bottom