Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Doherty the Colossus

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
Funny how other fans look at our players differently.

My Watford supporting brother in law and West Ham supporting nephew along with their fellow friends really rate Doc. They say he is an excellent player..

The Runner

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He makes some seriously intelligent runs and pops up with so many goals.

However saying that he's also cost us a ridiculous amount of goals and there's an argument to be made that he's allowed the space to make runs as people are doubling up/ tripling up on Adama.

I think competition is needed for him in the summer but it won't be addressed now.
How many goals is a 'ridiculous amount'? I'm struggling to see he's been as bad as people are saying. Think he's been a bit off the pace but on the whole I don't see a major problem. His and Jonny's roles are evolving all the time with the emergence of Traore and Neto. Fairly happy with both our wing backs to be honest.

Ditton Wolf

Reaction score
Good professional - scored some good goals for us. Slightly fatigued I think, don't know if that down to his injury when he was in and out of the team. On Saturday watched him closely some sloppy play but I think he won every header in the air whether from Patricio kicking or elsewhere on the pitch. I do think this an area we need cover for or an upgrade but a player I wouldn't want to lose.

Lisas Husband

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s a conundrum. He looks tired at times yet always manages to last the pace easily so I doubt it’s that. Confidence? Playing with Adama in front of him brings ‘probably’ a more defensive side to his game so mistakes are highlighted?
I’ve noticed his crossing is particularly poor as he rarely beats the first defender now.

Don’t know is what I’m really saying

The Runner

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He frustrates me when he just ambles back after losing the ball upfield I’ve lost count of the number of times recently Neves has been running to cover that position leaving us exposed in the middle.
But to be fair, with the system we play, with our wing backs pushed forward, that's what Neves is there for. Ruben and Joao rarely get in the box. That's Doc and Jonny's job.

Metal Wolf89

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have to say I have seen him multiple times and never seen him smile or even try to have a good relationship with the fans. Mate had a selfie with him and he didn't even smile in that.

I don't care anyway as long as he does his job on the pitch! I just always refer to him as miserable git when watching.

Pelsallwolf

Reaction score
I have to say I have seen him multiple times and never seen him smile or even try to have a good relationship with the fans. Mate had a selfie with him and he didn't even smile in that.

I don't care anyway as long as he does his job on the pitch! I just always refer to him as miserable git when watching.
Know what you mean he does look an awkward person,but we dont know how he feels deep down could have underlying issues mental health maybe?

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's a good player very skillfull and can finish.
Hes never been the greatest defender but he looks abit switched off right now.

The Wolf Of Wombourne

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
How many goals is a 'ridiculous amount'? I'm struggling to see he's been as bad as people are saying. Think he's been a bit off the pace but on the whole I don't see a major problem. His and Jonny's roles are evolving all the time with the emergence of Traore and Neto. Fairly happy with both our wing backs to be honest.

I think if you look at mistakes that lead to goals he is guilty of quite a bit of lax marking from corners, Saturday I believe he was at fault for the first, instances like that are what I'm referring to. When I said ridiculous amount I meant in comparison to the rest of the team.

As I said he pops up with a lot of goals, he's important to the side, I just feel he needs competition, I don't think he's been bad when you way up positives and negatives but if you're going to praise him for the good then you should also be willing to highlight the bad.

Norwegian Wolf

Reaction score
Nunos is clearly not happy with Doc's performances. Nuno has been in charge for 107 league games and has only played Doherty in 104 of them (suspended for 1, injured for 1 and benched at Anfield 44 hours after Man City). Needs to get his act together quick I'd say.

D

Deleted at own request member 8370

People always mention his goals, but never his defensive errors. Watford (A) for example he hardly tracked back, and Newcastle (H) he basically set up their goal. Think we need to bring in a new RCB and RWB in the summer to progress onto that next level and be considered a real top 4 threat. Would keep him around for rotation but definitely not as the main RWB...

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m a huge Matt fan but he seems to have lost a bit of zip. Watching on the tv, he doesn’t seem to sprint as much as he used too.....especially when in defence. Bear in mind that tv is not always a great way to judge.

But he is still more of a threat than Neves or Mouthino.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
He had a knee problem at the start of the season which he has struggled with

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has his moments for sure but he also has too many bad matches. Needs upgrading/ competition.

modenawolf

Reaction score
I think a lack of full preseason and his injury are catching up on him. He looked knackered on Saturday.

If we can get the Podence deal over the line we could potentially drop Traore back and give Doc a bit of a break.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Know what you mean he does look an awkward person,but we dont know how he feels deep down could have underlying issues mental health maybe?
Jesus Christ. Mental health because he's not grinning from ear to ear. Plenty of people are happy without feeling the need to radiate that happiness.

Loads of people don't smile. Lots of unhappy people smile all the time.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Docherty had more license to get forward when he played with Cav in front of him. Now that it's Traore, who we know isn't going to defend much in his own half, it is stifling his natural attacking instinct. He does look a little jaded but so do a few players, Dendonker has been culpable for goals as has Coady and Neves.

Ultimately every goal stems from a mistake somewhere, the first goal on Sat I think is harsh to blame on Doherty considering it landed in between three Wolves players and not one tried to clear it.

I like and rate Doc, every player has their weaknesses - I'm not a massive fan of Otto who I think, going forward, is pretty poor but strong defensively.

Last edited:

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think a lack of full preseason and his injury are catching up on him. He looked knackered on Saturday.

If we can get the Podence deal over the line we could potentially drop Traore back and give Doc a bit of a break.

Considering what Traore does for the team, how devastating he is going forward and the confidence he has at the moment why would you drop him back to Right back in a position we know he isn't going to be as comfortable in or as big a benefit to the team?

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't surprise me if we find that Matt has been playing 70% fit due to the overall lack of numbers in the squad.
I wouldn't be surprised if most one to be honest.

When you read that someone as young as Rashford had a small back fracture AND a floating bone in his ankle I think it was BEFORE Ole brought him on against us (idiot - from an England pov), it just goes to show. There's probably loads of guys putting their bodies on the line.

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Considering what Traore does for the team, how devastating he is going forward and the confidence he has at the moment why would you drop him back to Right back in a position we know he isn't going to be as comfortable in or as big a benefit to the team?
Completely agree... Adama's recent "£70/80/100M?" resurgence hasn't come about because he's a handy wingback. He's a devastating forward player.

Raul might be decent in a back 3 with his aerial ability, but you don't choose to weaken yourselves too much if it can be avoided.

Traore is nailed on for POTS as things stand I would imagine and rightfully so. Let him keep giving people fits and producing like he did on Saturday for our fabulous cause I say!

Pelsallwolf

Reaction score
Jesus Christ. Mental health because he's not grinning from ear to ear. Plenty of people are happy without feeling the need to radiate that happiness.
Loads of people don't smile. Lots of unhappy people smile all the time.
I said he might have we dont know also did he not have a scare with cancer recentish? Also you can grin ear to ear and have mental health issues I was just saying he could have because op said he always looks miserable.

D

Deleted at own request member 8370

I can’t say whether or not Doc is dealing with mental health problems, as I don’t know him, but he and Kilman were on my train back from Norwich away and Doc came across as a right *****. Proper moody *******...

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He hasnt looked right all season tbh,perhaps the injury and cancer scare have hit his confidence who knows?
Last season he would run through a brick wall,this season he looks like he is running through treacle at time

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said he might have we dont know also did he not have a scare with cancer recentish? Also you can grin ear to ear and have mental health issues I was just saying he could have because op said he always looks miserable.
It's just a ridiculous statement. Anyone may or may not have mental health issues. It shouldn't be speculated on here in any case. Especially when as baseless as "the bloke don't smile much".

Pelsallwolf

Reaction score
It's just a ridiculous statement. Anyone may or may not have mental health issues. It shouldn't be speculated on here in any case. Especially when as baseless as "the bloke don't smile much".
OP said hes always miserable and I said he could have COULD have been the keyword,get over it,its not the most ridiculous thing ever said.

Pelsallwolf

Reaction score
Someone else feels it's ridiculous it would seem :p
Probably is probably isn't I couldn't care less to be honest,like I said it's not anywhere near ridiculous compared to somethings on here and someone also liked the post too by the way.All I said was he could have what's wrong with that?how do you know I'm not right? Also recentish did he not have a cancer scare?

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought he's looked pretty decent all season but tailed off since xmas, plays a ridiculous amount of games for us. Too many cup games where he should be rested.

Also in interviews he comes across as a proper joker, him and Coady would be a good laugh.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably is probably isn't I couldn't care less to be honest,like I said it's not anywhere near ridiculous compared to somethings on here and someone also liked the post too by the way.All I said was he could have what's wrong with that?how do you know I'm not right? Also recentish did he not have a cancer scare?
Ooh someone liked your comment!!!!!

I'll like your comment too lol.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Matt Doherty deserves his own song far far more than some namby pamby too far from home, home sick little boy Cutrone.
Doherty is one of our own, as near as damn it.

Dingle Chris

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It’s not all Doc’s fault him and Dendonker clearly don’t work.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doherty always has his worst games on the match threads when we are losing. If that was all there was to go by, he's an out and out liability.

Back
Top Bottom