Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Doherty the Colossus

Metal Wolf89

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Know what you mean he does look an awkward person,but we dont know how he feels deep down could have underlying issues mental health maybe?

Potentially however in interviews and some of the videos wolves post online he is fine laughing and smiling then.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doherty.....
Grumpy, miserable, lazy, mental health issues.... and STILL delivers more consistently than Jonny and Vinagre combined.

No coincidence our bad start to the season coincided with him being out of the team.

D

Deleted member 4124

Doherty.....
Grumpy, miserable, lazy, mental health issues.... and STILL delivers more consistently than Jonny and Vinagre combined.

No coincidence our bad start to the season coincided with him being out of the team.
Depends how you use the word "delivers". Jonny is by far the more superior player. Perfect example of how people are blinded by Doherty's goals though. Reminds me of a certain Welsh midfielder.

R

reanswolf

Doc is superb, but does fatigue somewhat and perhaps not surprisingly.
And when he is fatigued he looks very heavy-legged.
Need to have options because he is very valuable to us.

Pelsallwolf

Reaction score
Oh yes it is.
Actually I will give you 2 replys,you tell me how me mentioning he may have is bad? Mental health exists,he may have then what? It's not so ridiculous then is it so pipe down and stop jumping in without any real input.

Pelsallwolf

Reaction score
That must be when his medication has kicked in, eh Dr Pelsall?
Awww bless are you all friends that drink in same pub,let me guess I have to come to your local and ask for insert name.despite what you and your boyfriends say it's not the worst thing posted on here and I said he could have get it? He recently had a cancer scare which people keep ignoring,that could also play a part but not once did I say he has mental health.

Pelsallwolf

Reaction score
Give it up - it was a daft suggestion pulled from thin air. move on
No I wont give it up who you to tell me what to do and hows is it daft?mental health exists no? I only mentioned it as people think you have to be a fun jolly person all the time so I said how do you know he doesnt,he might how do you know?.

D

Deleted member 4124

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The thing though about Vardy was that he was in his mid-20s when he broke through. Doherty was 18 when he joined us, so don't really think it's comparable. Saiss didn't join a professional football club until he was 21.

I know what you're saying but it's comparable in that he came from complete obscurity - a youth team player for Bohemians having never even played a first team game for them. A chance opportunity in a pre-season friendly against us, whilst fitting carpets in the week with his dad.

Is he up for a testimonial in a year or two? Quite incredible really considering all the changes that have gone on here

Lawley Wolf

Reaction score
My favourite player.
I don't believe our team functions the same without him, if we didn't have his out ball option we would struggle against teams that high press us more.
I agree with struggling to get the same link up with Traore, because Adama can rarely play a one touch 1-2 and positioning is more random / just stands still on side line when progressing down the right.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My favourite player.
I don't believe our team functions the same without him, if we didn't have his out ball option we would struggle against teams that high press us more.
I agree with struggling to get the same link up with Traore, because Adama can rarely play a one touch 1-2 and positioning is more random / just stands still on side line when progressing down the right.

Trying to blame Adama for Doherty's poor linkup play as of late is certainly an interesting view on things.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jonny is steady but , in my view , is pretty poor going forward, certainly cant beat a man. Defensively he is pretty solid but its noticeable that bigger teams target his side due to his lack of height.

D

Deleted member 4124

Jonny is steady but , in my view , is pretty poor going forward, certainly cant beat a man. Defensively he is pretty solid but its noticeable that bigger teams target his side due to his lack of height.
Jonny has more succesful take-ons per game than Doherty, so that's just a straight up lie. More key passes and succesful crosses as well.
Jonny being poor at attacking is a complete myth.

Doc has 4 league goal contributions and Jonny has 3, and considering how far superior Jonny is defensively, there simply is no argument about who is better.

Last edited by a moderator:

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Jonny has more succesful take-ons per game than Doherty, so that's just a straight up lie. More key passes and succesful crosses as well.

Doc has 4 league goal contributions and Jonny has 3, and considering how far superior Jonny is defensively, there simply is no argument about who is better.

I disagree with this point - I think his build up play is great but he falls to bits in the final 3rd far too often. The complete opposite of Doc.

And re. stats around take-ons - Doc rarely goes past a player with the ball - he pass and goes which is really effective. But I guess that doesn't come into consideration with 'take-on' stats?

Overall though I do think Jonny is technically better

D

Deleted member 4124

I disagree with this point - I think his build up play is great but he falls to bits in the final 3rd far too often. The complete opposite of Doc.
Only way you can judge effectiveness in the final third is goal contributions though. And Doc is only 1 goal better.

As for the take-ons, I think they refer to going past a player with the ball, so it's a fair point regarding Doc. But still, to say Jonny can't beat a man is just false.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jonny is skillful but his running with the ball lacks any real penetration, where as when doc does it from deep he is going one way, straight towards the goal. That goal against man city was as good as any we've scored this season.
If we stick with 3 at the back and had to choose between the two of them I'd pick Doherty every time, despite Jonny being probably the best defender I've seen at Wolves.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I disagree most goals conceded start on the right, I’ve been highlighting it lots recently, to me Jonny is the strongest defensively of our 3 wb’s

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think it is a perception as Jonny does not. Score the goals. Both good players. I like the fact Jonny can play on right.

W

Wolves in Bucharest

Most games I see are on TV, I try to get to one live game per season. This season as last season that was our away game at Brighton. A number of points - most of our attacking play that day was down the left side, it was also the side Brighton concentrated most attacks on. I thought Jonny had an excellent game defensively and attacking. Matt had a quieter game. On the day he defended well, breaking up 3 Brighton attacks in the first half, won a number of headers (though not as many as the previous season, when I think he won possibly 100% on his side) but as an attacking force really didn’t come into his own until the last 30 minutes or so.
I believe that the inclusion of Adama has affected his game. Whereas previously he would get the ball, pass inside and run onto the return ball, with Adama, these opportunities are more limited. His role appears to be now to give the ball to Adama and move towards goal in the hope of getting or creating a goal scoring opportunity. I thought this was very evident when he scored against Man City. He gets the ball, looks to give it to Adama, spots that he is cut off from him and then moves towards Raúl in the centre. This is not blaming Adama as one poster said rather it is acknowledging what a great player he is as his impact renders Matt more anonymous. If Neto falls back into the hole behind the front two in the next few games, it will be interesting to see if Matt becomes more obvious and makes more of an impact in games.
As for his appearing lethargic in games, yes that is our Matt on occasions. Against Newcastle late on in the game at St. James Park last season, he made a mistake and put the ball into touch with two minutes to go. I thought he was dead on his feet but two minutes later he was running the length of the pitch and scoring one of his most memorable goals.
One other point, frequently on the commentary thread fans will say that teams are attacking down his flank and give out about Dendoncker and Matt, yet as with the Brighton game most attacks come down Jonny’s and most goals come from mistakes on that side also, I am not suggesting that Jonny is weak defensively, rather that he has far more to deal with and suffers from the law of averages. The decision to substitute him in so many matches is because I think he has far more to do than Matty from a defensive and attacking perspective. Once Nuno is comfortable with young Giles as an option you will I think see him getting a number of chances as a sub but I suspect not against Liverpool and Manchester United.

Lawley Wolf

Reaction score
Trying to blame Adama for Doherty's poor linkup play as of late is certainly an interesting view on things.
Do you think Adama is better passer of the ball than players that have played in front of him before? for me, hes standing in the exact spot or route that Doc would of previously been running more often than not. Obviously Adama adds things in other areas of the game no one else can, so a worthy compromise but yeah I do think it could be a reason for his poor link up play.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I disagree most goals conceded start on the right, I’ve been highlighting it lots recently, to me Jonny is the strongest defensively of our 3 wb’s

I agree he is the strongest defensively and attacking wise he is the poorest.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only way you can judge effectiveness in the final third is goal contributions though. And Doc is only 1 goal better.

As for the take-ons, I think they refer to going past a player with the ball, so it's a fair point regarding Doc. But still, to say Jonny can't beat a man is just false.
You used Jonny's all comp stats and Doc's league stats. Jonny has only 2 points in league.

Jonny
League: 1 goal, 1 assist in 1,847 minutes. 1 goal contribution every 923.5 minutes.
Total: 1 goal, 2 assists in 2,504 minutes. 1 goal contribution every 834.7 minutes.

Doc
League: 3 goals, 1 assist in 1,609 minutes. 1 goal contribution every 402.3 minutes.
Total: 5 goals, 1 assist in 2,382 minutes. 1 goal contribution every 397 minutes.

That makes the numbers look very different. I actually agree that Jonny is a better player. But at least don't take away the one thing Doc is really good at.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Been thinking about the Matt needs a song conundrum. Now I see others shot down for doing this but I thought I’d have a go as nobody else is risking the collective Mix ridicule.
Anyway to the tune of Sweet Caroline

Hands..... gloves on hands, Scoring goals, with his head, with his feeeeeet
Matt Doherty, da, da, daaa
He has never been so good, so good, so good
Flies down the wing da da daaaa
He’s got Wanderers in his blood, his blooooood,
Da, da, da, da, da, da, da daaa........
Repeat as necessary...

Last edited:

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Most teams work it out to our left then do a quick crossfield switch to the space between dendoncker and Doherty. It was United's only play in the replay.

Doherty has a very weak defensive awareness.

The Runner

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Most teams work it out to our left then do a quick crossfield switch to the space between dendoncker and Doherty. It was United's only play in the replay.

Doherty has a very weak defensive awareness.
He has been playing this wing-back role pretty successively over the past 3 years in a pretty successful team and doesn't seem to have been found out. On what do you base this opinion?

D

Deleted member 4152

Depends how you use the word "delivers". Jonny is by far the more superior player. Perfect example of how people are blinded by Doherty's goals though. Reminds me of a certain Welsh midfielder.
Who is next on your hitlist? Coady? Boly? Rui?

Pathetic

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has been playing this wing-back role pretty successively over the past 3 years in a pretty successful team and doesn't seem to have been found out. On what do you base this opinion?

Not being found out, and teams actively targeting you do not generally go hand in hand.

Bednarek vs Southampton
Jogging back to his half vs United (~30s between losing ball and the ball being swung over into his space) when ball went over he was behind Adama.
Suicide pass vs Newcastle then refusal to chase.

0 attempted tackles vs Newcastle. (Raul made 2 in the RWB position).

This isn't a recent problem, he has always struggled in a flat back 4 as there were defensive duties which he needed to do which he just doesn't like (eg Brentford at home under KJ when he just stopped running and let a player run the entire length of our half unopposed)
He has excelled in this system mainly due to him being given more attacking duties - which counteracts his poor defensive awareness. Unfortunately just recently, barring the Man City game, his offensive contribution seems to be sitting next to Raul at CF, pushing Raul back to the edge of the box, and doing bugger all.

tamworth

Groupie
Reaction score
Been thinking about the Matt needs a song conundrum. Now I see others shot down for doing this but I thought I’d have a go as nobody else is risking the collective Mix ridicule.
Anyway to the tune of Sweet Caroline

Hands..... gloves on hands, Scoring goals, with his head, with his feeeeeet
Matt Doherty, da, da, daaa
He has never been so good, so good, so good
Flies down the right da da daaaa
He’s got Wanderers in his blood, da, da, da
Repeat as necessary...
Class

Back
Top Bottom