Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Doc

D

Deleted member 4309

I just cant see him getting in the tottenham team and if he does he wont be there long. If I was a Tottenham fan I would be a bit gutted with the signing to be honest.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn't read it as "bigging up" Spurs but, as I say, people will read things in different ways. Also, I don't imagine for a moment that we don't big the club up when we're signing players... "the project" and all that. Can I ask what you would have preferred Jeff to say under the circumstances because it sounded fairly reasonable to me and the sort of thing that all clubs say when players leave?
No you cant. :D I am not going to tell Jeff Shi what to say unless he pays me a lot of money. ;)
I think though you have answered your own question to me.
Boris Johnson is Prime Minister not because he is the best man for the job but his positivity outshone the negativity and caution of his opponents even in his own party. Things dont happen you make them happen.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A player 6 years Doc’s junior who is already significantly better than him and England’s first choice left back?
This ongoing comparison between the two fees is lunacy. Doc couldn’t even get in an Ireland team, largely made up of lower tier premier league & championship players.

Doc served us a terrific purpose and I’ll be always grateful for his service but sorry, if he was as good as everyone on here is making him out to be - Ireland find a way to accomodate him and he has more than the 4-5 Starts....

He isnt significantly better than him at all. Thats just nonsense. He isnt doing a lot more, if anything that MAtt has done over the past 2 years. And their certainly is not a 35 million difference in them as players.

As for the Ireland thing, if they had better managers, they would have found a way to fit him into the side. Its got relevance on what they do at club level.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just cant see him getting in the tottenham team and if he does he wont be there long. If I was a Tottenham fan I would be a bit gutted with the signing to be honest.
I have said before if I was a Spurs fan I would be a bit sceptical about bringing in a senior player for as little as 12 mill who didn't need to be sold by his present club.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With the right additions I fully expect us to challenge Spurs (and Arsenal) again...Hart, Hojberg and Doherty is hardly the statement of intent of adding 3 top 4 side players which Chelsea are showing with their additions. If we are ahead of one or both then that continues to be an amazing season....and one we were not dreaming of at the start of last season!

Yes, lack of information is worrying and price for Doc (if correct) feels undersold but we can only judge come early October (and possibly later) when additions have bedded in who have had the best window.

Dicko, Douglas, Costa, Cav and Doc...replaced by Jimenez (Bonatini), Jonny, Podence, Neto (Traore) and ?

We may not always get it right first time but keep the faith...exciting times to be a Wolves fan and remember if you were Jeff would you conduct your transfer business in the media?

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No you cant. I am not going to tell Jeff Shi what to say unless he pays me a lot of money. ;)
I think though you have answered your own question to me.
Boris Johnson is Prime Minister not because he is the best man for the job but his positivity outshone the negativity and caution of his opponents even in his own party. Things dont happen you make them happen.

Haha, readallaboutit! Oldgold Wolfcub applies for Jeff's Press Secretary's job! :)

Not sure I get your point about answering my own question to be honest... are you saying that there's an air of negativity/caution about the club that will "make things happen" in terms of players wanting to leave? I suppose there's some truth in the idea of players at a club having an instinct for the mood of the place but I really don't think anything in what Jeff said in the statement is defeatist, negative or bigs Spurs up over us. More generally, I'd agree that players probably want to feel they're part of a club that's moving forward and that's part of the reason that improving the squad is important.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So Wolves didn't plan to sell but, to Jeff, this was a godfather offer. Good grief. What does he think Adama or Raul is worth? I’d say each is worth around 3x Doc. Hopefully Jeff thinks 5x, because if someone came in with £45m for either and we heard, we didn’t anticipate selling but it’s in the club’s best interest...

MotorWoden

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suspect part of being on the Mendes carousel is not holding players back when they want to move. It works for and against you. In our case it has mostly been for.

All managers who stay at one club for an extended period need to reinvent the team from time to time. Ferguson never seemed afraid to let a big name player go. I wish him well but I think Doherty will prove to be a very average player at Spurs, his stats look very good because of how we played.

A reasonable comparison would be Victor Moses. Suddenly he became very important to Chelsea after being a bit part player for a number of seasons and then, just as suddenly, when the system changed he was gone.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mendes moves one of his players from a team where the manager is represented by him, to another club where the manager is represented by him. Then brings in a replacement, who he represents.
I think Mendes had promised Fosun an upgrade and all this was sorted a while ago. I am happy that it is Doc and not one of our crown jewels and think everyone will be happy, when it all fits together and it all makes sense.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mendes moves one of his players from a team where the manager is represented by him, to another club where the manager is represented by him. Then brings in a replacement, who he represents.
I think Mendes had promised Fosun an upgrade and all this was sorted a while ago. I am happy that it is Doc and not one of our crown jewels and think everyone will be happy, when it all fits together and it all makes sense.
If that proves to be the case, great. It’s very difficult to not be a bit concerned right now though.

Mel Eves on a bike

Reaction score
Why Mendes,s loyalties lean more towards Fosun than Spurs?

itsmee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he will fail under Mourinho
Not the same kind of man manager as Nuno

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why Mendes,s loyalties lean more towards Fosun than Spurs?

No, Mendes's loyalties lean towards Mendes. This deal will fit in to place and fits in to Mendes's modus operandi. I don't think this is a major signing for Spurs and will make Doc money and Mendes money and is a deal done between 2 managers that he represents. This was sorted a while ago.

Last edited:

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, Mendes's loyalties lean towards Mendes.

True, he's obviously going to be looking out for his clients and for himself/his business. I'd say that he does this by carefully balancing the mood of the clubs to which he moves his clients... if he can keep all parties happy then it works out all the better for him... keeping everybody happy works in his favour.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
mattdoherty20 10 years over 300 appearances for this wonderful club @wolves

Been through absolutely everything here and it’s come to an end it’s been a hell of a ride and I have left nothing behind I have given everything.

Will miss the place and the people associated with the club that have helped me through the whole 10 years.

I wish the club and the manager and staff nothing but the very best going forward it’s an amazing place to work.

Thank you

And see you on Boxing Day

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can tell we've made it to the big time. Massive club signed one of our players. Time to retire the shirt.
As did Cutrone shall we bring him back?

Didn't Doc come on, though?
Adama Didn't score his goals from RWB
Against burnley didn't we start with traore at Rwb? Doc came on and we saw out the win oh wait hang on that didn't happen.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So Wolves didn't plan to sell but, to Jeff, this was a godfather offer. Good grief. What does he think Adama or Raul is worth? I’d say each is worth around 3x Doc. Hopefully Jeff thinks 5x, because if someone came in with £45m for either and we heard, we didn’t anticipate selling but it’s in the club’s best interest...

That’s not the point at all. Matt wanted the move, Spurs knew he did (likely via Mendes or Keane) and knew they didn’t need to bid up the price. That left us in a weak bargaining position. Keep him and likely don’t play him before he’s in a sulk, or take the money and move on. As I said earlier, the problem here is Matt and hence why I won’t be wishing him well despite all the amazing performances and effort he’s given us.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry but to say we had to sell cheap because he wanted the move and would sulk around if we didn’t accept is absolute nonsense. He had a contract until 2023 with no financial reason to sell (supposedly). We were in a very strong position to negotiate. It does not make sense in any way, shape or form to sell a first team player to a direct rival for such a low fee.

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s not the point at all. Matt wanted the move, Spurs knew he did (likely via Mendes or Keane) and knew they didn’t need to bid up the price. That left us in a weak bargaining position. Keep him and likely don’t play him before he’s in a sulk, or take the money and move on. As I said earlier, the problem here is Matt and hence why I won’t be wishing him well despite all the amazing performances and effort he’s given us.
How do you know he wanted to move?

D

Deleted member 4152

So you don't.
“His departure was not something we had planned ahead of the summer, but when the offer came in, we discussed and analysed it deeply with the coaching team and the board. We also spoke to Matt who was eager to move onto a new chapter in his career."

Just Jeff saying it then.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So you don't.

Everything about this transfer, from the fee to Jeff’s statement, stinks of the player wanting the move and Wolves having to accept the offer or face having a disgruntled player affecting the dressing room. I appreciate you may be rooting for Matt, and had the circumstances been different, so would I. It is however not that and he’s left us in the lurch for a pittance of a fee that will not pay for an upgrade, and hence will weaken us. I don’t hate him but I won’t be cheering him when he returns or wishing him well.

Back
Top Bottom