Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Doc

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only bit i dont like in that interview is where he says " I feel like at Tottenham now I’m really taking a big step forward – just with the facilities, everything at the club and the manager here. " For s start, Spurs current arent that much better, if at all than us. Facility wise they are, but not in a football sense. Secondly, the quote in bold has really annoyed me. Nuno was a massive influence from turning him from an average championship fullback to one of the best attacking wingbacks in Europe imo. Mourinho 10 years ago would have been a massive step up, not anymore he isnt. I think if he looks back on that quote in bold he will see he got that badly wrong.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well if what Percy said was true and it was a decision to evolve the team made by Nuno then he may well be a bit salty about that decision, too. I wish him all the best, he’s been here 10 years - that doesn’t happen very often these days. As for Spurs, they’re a weird one. Amazing stadium, high profile manager and yet they’re signing players like Hart, Hjolberg and Doherty to get them back into the top 4? All seems a bit odd. Football.

Gold Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I suspect, and he has always said how he has enjoyed playing European football, he probably had his head turned by Spurs and that incentive increased when we just missed out on it for next season. Fact Jeff Shi has said it is in the best interests of the club suggests that it would be best for all parties involved if he gets the move otherwise if we haggled over price and he remained here his head might not totally be focused on us.... He has been fantastic for us and will miss him but let us see now who we can bring in or whether Traore will be moulded for the role. Long term we do have Jonny to go in there so it is a case of how we strengthen to deal with Jonny's absence.

Aylesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You have to be joking. He owes us nothing? Where was he before he signed for Wolves? What was he like as a player before Nuno worked with him? I don’t begrudge someone seeking to better himself, but when you read the interview and look at the low fee, it’s clear he was itching to leave. So stuff him.
He has been at the club for ten years! That is very rare these days so how does he owe us anything? It is also bizarre that not long ago, many on here were suggesting MD being one of those players that needed upgrading!

epic

Groupie
Reaction score
No issue with Doherty leaving but to say this is a massive step in his career ............... going to a team who were above Wolves on a goal difference of 3 !!

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He owes us **** all, he got where he got with his own endeavour and hard work. Move on, acting like an entitled man child.

Did I insult you? I’m entitled to my opinion just as you are. You’re the entitled child.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No issue with Doherty leaving but to say this is a massive step in his career ............... going to a team who were above Wolves on a goal difference of 3 !!
Huge ground, huge trophy haul, bigger club. It's a step up.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did I insult you? I’m entitled to my opinion just as you are. You’re the entitled child.
I'm not the one throwing my toys out the pram because of a player rightfully giving praise to his new club.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not the one throwing my toys out the pram because of a player rightfully giving praise to his new club.

Read my original angry post. It’s not just the interview. It’s that combined with the low fee and Wolves statement. It’s clear he wanted off, and you want me to wish him well?

Let’s see. Do you think if Jack headed off to Utd for £15m and then posted the same Interview and Villa said they wanted to keep him but this is the best outcome for the club, that most Villa fans would wish him well and clap him on his return in a Utd shirt?

Last edited:

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Huge ground, huge trophy haul, bigger club. It's a step up.
Of course it is anyone who thinks otherwise is getting way ahead of themselves also got brand new training facilities which must be a joy to go train every day in..

epic

Groupie
Reaction score
Of course it is anyone who thinks otherwise is getting way ahead of themselves also got brand new training facilities which must be a joy to go train every day in..

Wolves training facilities aren't bad though !!

D

Deleted member 11332

Good luck to him, turned into a quality option for us over the last 3 years thanks to his new found work ethic and nunos coaching along with a system that hid his faults and accentuated his good qualities. Interview doesn't bother me either, not sure what people expect him to say. Unless spurs change shape he's going to really struggle to replicate the form he's had.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't realise fosuns whole plan was placed on Doherty been a wolves player.

His had three decent seasons. But ****ing he'll he isn't all that. The misplaced half ***** passes, poor defending and blowing his cheeks out when things don't go his away with his arms in the air like the whole worlds on his shoulders jogging back must be get forgotten.

His had a good run fair play for the longevity. All the best.

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
[...] Wolves statement. It’s clear he wanted off, and you want me to wish him well?

The one on the website? Different people place different significance on things but, from what I've read, it's not clear at all that Matt "wanted off".

“His departure was not something we had planned ahead of the summer, but when the offer came in, we discussed and analysed it deeply with the coaching team and the board. We also spoke to Matt who was eager to move onto a new chapter in his career"

So, the offer came in, they discussed it and, when Matt heard that Spurs were interested, he was understandably excited to see if he could cut it at a club like Spurs... and, with my neutral-ish head on, I can't blame him, it's massively flattering and also would have offered him financial incentives that would set he and his family forever... I'm not going to get upset at that, it's totally understandable. That's very different, in my eyes, to a player simply "wanting away" . If you're going to take statements from players 100% literally rather than accepting that they're carefully crafted to placate/please the fans them surely you have to give equal weight to the words from Jess Shi as you do from Matt...

“Ultimately, we believe that this transfer is in the best interests of the club, and it goes without saying that Matt leaves with our best wishes"

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have to accept that Spurs are perceived as a bigger club,whether we agree on that or not
Doc has to say things that make him look attracive to his new fans,and i dont see anything wrong in that
He hasnt ragged us off has he? Ok the manager bit is a little off but understandable i guess
Personally i wish him well, hes been a good servant to us, and been a big part of our and his journey in the past 3/4 years,good luck lad you may need it

WWFC_Melbourne

Reaction score
Fee still seems very low when you look at Chilwell.

A player 6 years Doc’s junior who is already significantly better than him and England’s first choice left back?
This ongoing comparison between the two fees is lunacy. Doc couldn’t even get in an Ireland team, largely made up of lower tier premier league & championship players.

Doc served us a terrific purpose and I’ll be always grateful for his service but sorry, if he was as good as everyone on here is making him out to be - Ireland find a way to accomodate him and he has more than the 4-5 Starts....

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doc's last big move and security for his family. He gave his all for Wolves and I wish him the best.
This is what Mendes does. He moves players, to be able to sell more expensive players. There will be a player lined up and I expect it will be an upgrade from one of his clients.
I think it will turn out good for us and will fit together like a jigsaw.

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have to accept that Spurs are perceived as a bigger club,whether we agree on that or not

Really good point: regardless of 3 goals difference between us last year, there's a perception that Spurs are a bigger club. If you asked most football fans which club is bigger* then I think I know what the results would be. In reality, we're closer rivals than ever these days but in the eyes of football fans, we're the upstarts and they're the "top 6 side".

* please do not start another poll :D

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The one on the website? Different people place different significance on things but, from what I've read, it's not clear at all that Matt "wanted off".

“His departure was not something we had planned ahead of the summer, but when the offer came in, we discussed and analysed it deeply with the coaching team and the board. We also spoke to Matt who was eager to move onto a new chapter in his career"

So, the offer came in, they discussed it and, when Matt heard that Spurs were interested, he was understandably excited to see if he could cut it at a club like Spurs... and, with my neutral-ish head on, I can't blame him, it's massively flattering and also would have offered him financial incentives that would set he and his family forever... I'm not going to get upset at that, it's totally understandable. That's very different, in my eyes, to a player simply "wanting away" . If you're going to take statements from players 100% literally rather than accepting that they're carefully crafted to placate/please the fans them surely you have to give equal weight to the words from Jess Shi as you do from Matt...

“Ultimately, we believe that this transfer is in the best interests of the club, and it goes without saying that Matt leaves with our best wishes"
That statement if meant to appease will miss with a number of fans.
This club has a tendency to big up other clubs too much. If we had done a deal that brought us in 25m or more then it might be different but Spurs can pay big money and to let Doherty go for what is likely to be 12 mill makes us seem like a smaller club grateful for small crumbs. With a number of transactions we are looking as if we are selling cheap and buying expensive. Most of our buys look good because of how Nuno has developed them.
Spurs on paper have got a good bargain, Arsenal are raising their expected price for Niles. Many teams seem to value their own players more than we value ours.
Nuno is a very humble man and in many respects so is Jeff Shi but we need someone in at the top who is a football man and not afraid to big us up.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot of pant wetting on here about a bang average full back who's made a career out of being a focal point in our system
I must admit part of me hope he falls flat on his face at Spurs. But there again I dont know the full facts but from what has been reported I dont like it.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First off, in probably the only prediction I ever got right, I called this one back in July. For exactly the reasons stated then, going through the squad, wondering who this seasons "surprise departure" could be:

"I have an intuition that Doherty is the one who will leave. I think he's now past his "peak potential" and the owners have shown they are quite ruthless at moving players on when they think that is the case. Maximum cash in value right now. I also think it would perhaps be good for Doherty, he's been here for decades, if he's ever going to try another club, now would be a good time as anyone from mid-Premier down would jump at the chance to have him. But a year from now? Maybe not."

Not that I wanted him to leave, particularly as we are now looking thinner on the ground than ever. Although, I was never that impressed by his defending, back in the pre-Nuno days, it always seemed that whatever side he was on, was the side we leaked goals from. Matt himself has said he wasn't not fit enough in those days, too. Hence many goals conceded in thay era, where he'd be on edge of camera shot , struggling to back.

But even then, he looked decent going forward and I always thought it worth trying him further up the pitch, in midfield maybe. Nuno worked his magic and so the transformation. Don't get me wrong, his defending has also improved immensely since Nuno arrived and he's going to be a big loss for us. He's close to the core of the team. Also, in interviews over the past year or two has shown what an intelligent footballer he is. He's evolved into a unique role that fits his specific attributes and improves the team.

Going to be a big loss. The only thing I can think is that similar to other surprise departures, our coaching/medical staff know he's past his peak (I thought he looked noticeably slower last season) , will not improve, and they have been spot on with their previous decisions. Costa, Cav, Douglas, none of them improved after leaving, actually all of them (and even Afobe and Baath) have gone somewhat downhill. And also, of course, that they have someone better lined up to bring in.

If it's any consolation, in the same message , I also predicted Raul and Traore to stay another year. TBH I'd rather sell Traore for 60 million then Doherty for 15, but I guess we have to trust the manager.

Very good. Though I think it’s a bit obvious with Raul and Adama - or they wouldn’t start season under nuno. He wants them committed - in or out, nothing in between

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That statement if meant to appease will miss with a number of fans.
This club has a tendency to big up other clubs too much. If we had done a deal that brought us in 25m or more then it might be different but Spurs can pay big money and to let Doherty go for what is likely to be 12 mill makes us seem like a smaller club grateful for small crumbs. With a number of transactions we are looking as if we are selling cheap and buying expensive. Most of our buys look good because of how Nuno has developed them.
Spurs on paper have got a good bargain, Arsenal are raising their expected price for Niles. Many teams seem to value their own players more than we value ours.
Nuno is a very humble man and in many respects so is Jeff Shi but we need someone in at the top who is a football man and not afraid to big us up.

I didn't read it as "bigging up" Spurs but, as I say, people will read things in different ways. Also, I don't imagine for a moment that we don't big the club up when we're signing players... "the project" and all that. Can I ask what you would have preferred Jeff to say under the circumstances because it sounded fairly reasonable to me and the sort of thing that all clubs say when players leave?

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
weren't there rumours before the Spurs one came public that Aresenal were interested in bringing in Doherty themselves?

I must have missed that!

He could have added "boyhood club" to the scripted speech he gave when he joined. :D

Cotswold wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Cheers Doc you’ve been ace for Wolbrsamd will be missed, Good luck. At the yottrmjam and see ya soon

Back
Top Bottom