Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno Lage

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tierney is significantly better than RAN as are white/Gabriel over Kilman. Kilman isn’t getting in a fit cb team at West Ham or Tottenham. You’re off your head.
Why are white and Gabriel better than Kilman? Because they play for arsenal?
Are they better ball players? Better defenders? I don't think so. Will be interesting how many people on here agree.

D

Deleted member (smith)

I'm getting that way too. I'm glad (but surprised) that so many seemed to have really warmed to him but I just don't feel it at all. Think he comes across as very cold, detached and arrogant. Will be very happy to be proved wrong!
Very hard to tell his quality from interviews aimed at audiences….most managers are judged on the results from their existing resources and their transfer decisions. That’s a bit up and down at the moment but certainly meets the most optimistic expectations I would think.

WolvesKop

Reaction score
For argument’s sake if Buno leaves or is sacked this summer who would you bring in? I really can’t see us getting a better manger then Bruno.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For argument’s sake if Buno leaves or is sacked this summer who would you bring in? I really can’t see us getting a better manger then Bruno.
Actually follow through with getting an attacking coach.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Much as l loved Nuno, particularly the Nuno of the first two or three seasons, l'm not sure that going back ever works.
Oh I do agree, being a bit tongue in cheek.
But I do think Nuno played this system better. And I do think when judging Nuno in hindsight we should all discount that last season ( covid, no fans, Jimenez injury) it all just made football so flat in general, we suffered from that as much as any club.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks like we can play good, high tempo football then, experts on here kept telling me we didn't have the players and Lage had been forced to park the bus and bore us all to death.

You have to wonder where the hell it's been for the last six months

Repeat of the attitude on Sunday please

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks like we can play good, high tempo football then, experts on here kept telling me we didn't have the players and Lage had been forced to park the bus and bore us all to death.

Repeat of the attitude on Sunday please
Almost like we havnt been playing Watford every week for the last 6 months isn’t it?
Utterly clueless, well done Bruno 8th exceeds everyone’s expectations.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Almost like we havnt been playing Watford every week for the last 6 months isn’t it?
Utterly clueless, well done Bruno 8th exceeds everyone’s expectations.
We've played with no attacking intent for practically six months, he takes the handbrake off tonight and you act as if you've been right all along.

Watford had a couple of opportunities on the break, you know why? Because we committed players forward like we've not been doing against the might of Norwich or Burnley, or are they on another plane to Watford and we should be grateful for a 0-0?

Funny how adults, with eyes, turn a blind one when it's not going how they want but then want everyone to see what they're seeing when they have their moment

Totally clueless

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The last 3 matches we were harried by opponents much better than tonights, so never got going.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The last 3 matches we were harried by opponents much better than tonights, so never got going.
What about the last six months?!

We haven't had the same intent of getting players forward in numbers quickly like we did tonight since the first few games of the season. It doesn't always work, you can get harried out of it and we left ourselves open a couple of times tonight, which isn't a criticism, it was just a by product of sending more players forward.

But this performance wasn't the passive style we've endured, it was back to that style we saw at the beginning of the season, trying to force the issue rather than trying not to give anything away. Was good to see and hope it continues

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've played with no attacking intent for practically six months, he takes the handbrake off tonight and you act as if you've been right all along.

Watford had a couple of opportunities on the break, you know why? Because we committed players forward like we've not been doing against the might of Norwich or Burnley, or are they on another plane to Watford and we should be grateful for a 0-0?

Funny how adults, with eyes, turn a blind one when it's not going how they want but then want everyone to see what they're seeing when they have their moment

Totally clueless

You’re genuinely upset at the result tonight aren’t you?!
Go and ask Fosun why we don’t have a Coutinho or a Connor Gallagher, watching Trincao do **** all at Carrow Road was painful I agree but the manager can only work with what he’s got.
8th in the league, bet you were praying for a bad result! Unlucky, Well done Bruno!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We haven't had the same intent of getting players forward in numbers quickly like we did tonight since the first few games of the season. It doesn't always work, you can get harried out of it and we left ourselves open a couple of times tonight, which isn't a criticism, it was just a by product of sending more players forward.

But this performance wasn't the passive style we've endured, it was back to that style we saw at the beginning of the season, trying to force the issue rather than trying not to give anything away. Was good to see and hope it continues

I agree exactly with what you said about Watford having some moments, but us committing forward instead. Would love to see a full replay of that first 15 minutes as it was interesting. From memory, it started similar to the recent debacles, the difference being just as you say, we didn't go cowardly - even after that Watford penalty scare and a couple of times when they nearly got through but we caught them offside. We got forward and scored by pressuring their defence - pretty much all of our first 3 goals were down to getting forward and not letting Watford settle. For once, we did look like we had an attitude of "OK, you may score one from a break, but tonight we are going to score more".

The part I'm not sure about is that the reason this hasn't happened in previous games is because Bruno has forced them to play with the handbrake on. Would playing the same way as tonight have worked at Arsenal? Did we have the lineup to play this way at Norwich? (some significant changes tonight). The most likely one for me is that those other opponents didn't play right into our hands like Watford did. Maybe there's something about us that they find difficult, similar to how we struggle against Palace this season? In the first match, Watford barely threatened and gave us a comfortable win, too.

I hope we carry on at Evreton doing the same as tonight , as you say, getting over that passive, fearful approach, as especially with key players returning, we have a stronger team than them and have nothing to fear. I'm still not sure how much of it is down to our players mentality and how much is opponents generously allowing Neves half a pitch to control!

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You’re genuinely upset at the result tonight aren’t you?!
Go and ask Fosun why we don’t have a Coutinho or a Connor Gallagher, watching Trincao do **** all at Carrow Road was painful I agree but the manager can only work with what he’s got.
8th in the league, bet you were praying for a bad result! Unlucky, Well done Bruno!
No, I'm delighted at the result and you're a ****ing idiot to suggest otherwise, I'm always happy with a win, this time though I'm also delighted with the performance which is a world away from what we've been watching, and anyone, any adult - that has eyes and a slight amount of recollection - will admit as much

You said just days ago, we don't have the players to play like we did tonight - and now you've been emphatically proven wrong on that you're doubling down that you're right! It's hilarious! What do Philippe Coutinho or Conor Gallagher have to do with us not committing players forward against Burnley, Norwich (twice), Newcastle, Southampton etc etc etc? Should we just write off the game against Villa because they have Coutinho? We can't get around one player? Should we park the bus and hope he doesn't smack one in?

Making yourself look a fool, just like with your Neves thread which is aimed at about two people, but you like an "I told you so"

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree exactly with what you said about Watford having some moments, but us committing forward instead. Would love to see a full replay of that first 15 minutes as it was interesting. From memory, it started similar to the recent debacles, the difference being just as you say, we didn't go cowardly - even after that Watford penalty scare and a couple of times when they nearly got through but we caught them offside. We got forward and scored by pressuring their defence - pretty much all of our first 3 goals were down to getting forward and not letting Watford settle. For once, we did look like we had an attitude of "OK, you may score one from a break, but tonight we are going to score more".

The part I'm not sure about is that the reason this hasn't happened in previous games is because Bruno has forced them to play with the handbrake on. Would playing the same way as tonight have worked at Arsenal? Did we have the lineup to play this way at Norwich? (some significant changes tonight). The most likely one for me is that those other opponents didn't play right into our hands like Watford did. Maybe there's something about us that they find difficult, similar to how we struggle against Palace this season? In the first match, Watford barely threatened and gave us a comfortable win, too.

I hope we carry on at Evreton doing the same as tonight , as you say, getting over that passive, fearful approach, as especially with key players returning, we have a stronger team than them and have nothing to fear. I'm still not sure how much of it is down to our players mentality and how much is opponents generously allowing Neves half a pitch to control!
To be fair it could work either way but I'd say that when two of your defenders - especially on the same side of the pitch -are making their first starts of the season the inclination would be to try to protect them and keep that side safe, so to play it the way we did took some bravery. Who knows, maybe Lage did think, best way to protect the defence is to throw the kitchen sink at them! Maybe he thought after losing the last three that there was nothing really to play for so he may as well attack... (that would worry me)

Keep the attitude and intent against Watford for the rest of the season and I'm more than happy for Lage to stay and build a side, you'd see a real future in it. But if (and this kind of comes to the 'if there's nothing to play for' vibe) he's still intent on safety first football against the lesser lights when there IS something on the line, then I think he's better off being replaced at the end of the season

We'll see what happens. Same approach against Everton would be great, we know they're rubbish at the back and can be easily got at - though I doubt they'll be quite as bad as they were in that first half at Molineux earlier in the season. Some of the football we played tonight would cut them to ribbons

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well done Bruno restored a lot of faith with that team and performance. Just the shot in the arm we all needed.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

No, I'm delighted at the result and you're a ****ing idiot to suggest otherwise, I'm always happy with a win, this time though I'm also delighted with the performance which is a world away from what we've been watching, and anyone, any adult - that has eyes and a slight amount of recollection - will admit as much

You said just days ago, we don't have the players to play like we did tonight - and now you've been emphatically proven wrong on that you're doubling down that you're right! It's hilarious! What do Philippe Coutinho or Conor Gallagher have to do with us not committing players forward against Burnley, Norwich (twice), Newcastle, Southampton etc etc etc? Should we just write off the game against Villa because they have Coutinho? We can't get around one player? Should we park the bus and hope he doesn't smack one in?

Making yourself look a fool, just like with your Neves thread which is aimed at about two people, but you like an "I told you so"
So because we beat the worst team Iv seen in 4 years you think we can play like that every week? Ok mate.

You complain about “not committing players forward against Burnley, Norwich, Newcastle, Southampton”. In our 5 games against those clubs we have picked up 11 points and conceded 2 goals.

I’ll repeat myself yet again, Bruno is doing well. I’ll expect some better football when the bloke has some actual backing.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair it could work either way but I'd say that when two of your defenders - especially on the same side of the pitch -are making their first starts of the season the inclination would be to try to protect them and keep that side safe, so to play it the way we did took some bravery. Who knows, maybe Lage did think, best way to protect the defence is to throw the kitchen sink at them! Maybe he thought after losing the last three that there was nothing really to play for so he may as well attack... (that would worry me)

Keep the attitude and intent against Watford for the rest of the season and I'm more than happy for Lage to stay and build a side, you'd see a real future in it. But if (and this kind of comes to the 'if there's nothing to play for' vibe) he's still intent on safety first football against the lesser lights when there IS something on the line, then I think he's better off being replaced at the end of the season

We'll see what happens. Same approach against Everton would be great, we know they're rubbish at the back and can be easily got at - though I doubt they'll be quite as bad as they were in that first half at Molineux earlier in the season. Some of the football we played tonight would cut them to ribbons
Whatever Lage, and Wolves, do worries you. Give it a rest.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So because we beat the worst team Iv seen in 4 years you think we can play like that every week? Ok mate.

You complain about “not committing players forward against Burnley, Norwich, Newcastle, Southampton”. In our 5 games against those clubs we have picked up 11 points and conceded 2 goals.

I’ll repeat myself yet again, Bruno is doing well. I’ll expect some better football when the bloke has some actual backing.
We played like that for the first month of the season, or were Man U, Spurs and Leicester all of the Watford vintage too?

Your second paragraph is completely missing the point, I'll repeat what I've said earlier in this thread, I've judged Lage solely on performances all season. Yeah we beat Southampton twice, replay those games when we were comfortably outplayed in both and reliant on Sa and how often do we pick up those six points?

I get it, you struggle to differentiate between results and performances and clearly can't see the importance in the latter. Truth is our performances have been miles off what you'd expect for a side in 8th daring to say we're challenging for Europe, we've been doing a Burnley in 17/18 or a Sheff Utd in 19/20 and both of those sides were in totally false positions

We have a good squad, capable of playing good football and still being in a similar league position, but deservedly being there rather than fortunately. Been saying for months that to score some goals we need to start taking the odd risk at the back, last night we took a few risks and hey presto... Now it won't always pay off, but there are only a handful of sides in this league that we should really go up against with a safety first approach from the outset

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whatever Lage, and Wolves, do worries you. Give it a rest.
Try reading the whole of the post? Some of it alludes to a potentially positive future under Lage if he maintains the attitude we finally saw again last night, rather then the frightened rabbit in headlights style we've seen since September

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This exactly. Many times in the previous, have said before a match against middling & lesser opponents "we just need to get at them from the start and stop them settling". And then been driven mad watching us spend the first 30 minutes apparently happy to camp in our own half and let opponents settle and build confidence. Was infuriating, especially having sometimes watched those same opponents get hammered the week before by a team who had a real go at them.

We've done this so often - treating bottom 6 teams like they are Barcelona. For me, the best thing about last night was that at last (it feels like that) we didn't let opponents lacking confidence settle. Even though we were a bit shaky ourselves in the first 10 minutes, it was great to see us not go into turtle mode. If we had, I reckon the outcome would have been draw or narrow win either way, as we've seen many times.

TBF to Bruno, there have been signs of this improvement (despite the 3 defeats). Remembering last season, when we wrote off the first half of just about every match by camping in our half, with minimal attacking intention. Recently, the broader picture is that we have been scoring early goals. Something we very rarely did for 2 years, maybe more. So that's signs of a real change happening for the better.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Plenty of people criticising Lage for calling out Hoever.

In this era perhaps more than any other, we see player after player not fulfilling their potential because of the precious approach to management which now appears to be the norm. Bruno is a throwback, and I love it!

Bruno has also literally overseen the development of players who are now amongst the best in the world; so his track record validates his method.

He demanded from Hoever, and all the players the highest standards - and last night they delivered for him.

He’s doing an incredible job with what he has and in Bruno we trust. UTW.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Amazing result against a really great
Everton team who have only lost 7 out of last 8 games
Everton aren’t a bad team though, they don’t have a bad squad, they’re just spineless.

I wasn’t convinced by the starting line up, but to be fair if we’d gone after them and given them an early goal it could have galvanised them and they could have grown in to the game.

They have good players when the pressure is off so it was important not to give them anything. We didn’t, and it showed as they offered nothing, the fans got on them and they shrunk.

As I say, I wasn’t sure about the line up and yes, perhaps we could have gone after them and won even more convincingly. But we shut them down, controlled the game and got 3 points away from home. Nothing wrong with that.

Back
Top Bottom