Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno Lage

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno, so great that he plays the same football as Nuno but less threatening and with a dash of an inability to make a come back. Though you should back the manager, always.
Brought in because of how he turned Benfica into a goal scoring machine half way through their season. Started off well at Wolves with attacking intent. Gone back into his shell a bit after those early attack minded games yielded no goals and successive losses.

However, we have currently scored less goals than last season’s dour campaign and now the defence is having poor games we have no outlet for picking up points.

So it seems to me that he needs to have a go at our shocking inability to create chances and score goals as well as our slow, defensive play. Either he isn’t instilling his attack minded philosophy or the players aren’t bothered.

That said, to truly judge the man as a manager he needs players he wants as, so far, it is clear that not many are able to fit his style.

Last edited:

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Far far too much thin skin on here. Bruno has dug out a few players (with justifiable reasoning, none of what he has said is factually incorrect). They’re professionals ffs. Most people in the world have had a rollicking off a boss, you either take your medicine like a man and improve or you silk and leave. Football is no different. If it envokes a negative response from the players then I suggest they aren’t the sort of players we want here. This is elite sport, so you need to be elite, anything less than 100% both in training or a game should absolutely be called out.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Based on chances created and possession, I think we've done really well not to get sucked into a battle at the wrong end of the table for the last couple of seasons. One comment on her recently summed it up perfectly when they said a lot of our wins this season have been "hands over your eyes" stuff, as we're hanging on and not retaining possession. Was for example the Arsenal defeat any worse a performance than our win home to Leicester ? Without doubt we need some new players who can both create and keep the ball better.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean, sure, he hasn't been good but Coady, with his cheeky smile and constant cheerleading, has also been diabolical so it's not just as simple as that is it? Everyone has been underperforming, including the manager, and that's the point people are trying to make and why I think Bruno's comments aren't right. It feels massively like scapegoating to cover his own issues.
I don't disagree Thommo but Coady has proved himself time and time again to be a great captain and leader imo. He has limitations (speed being one of them) but he is a great leader and has the respect of all his team mates. I can remember people saying one of our best ever captains, Mike Bailey, had limitations and the odd bad game, but he more than made up for that with his leadership skills. Many years ago I know, but he was our leader, just like Coady!

Conor and many of our best players have proved themselves over and over again since we were promoted. Hoever has not played one good game imo despite being given the chance!

Scapegoat isn't the word. Any of underperformer or uninterested or unfit or underprepared probably is.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I preferred how Nuno played his players into good form. Jota would go 3 or 4 games doing nothing, but would recover form. Nuno did that 2 or 3 times for him. When we had real problems at the club, Jackett put them in the bombsquad and kept the first team positive. Did McCarthy criticise individual players openly like that? Lambert didn't like Saiss, but I don't recall him openly destroying his integrity as a professional.
Lage is psychologically distancing himself from the performance of the players, and it's a sign of an inexperienced manager or one who has run out of ideas. He can and should instill discipline and high standards within the squad and players that don't live up to those should face his wrath. But not as a public dressing down. I bet Jeff Shi isn't impressed either.
Lage deserves a summer and next season, but I hope he learns from his own mistakes too, otherwise his career here and elsewhere will be short lived. It is an extremely high pressured job on and off the pitch. I hope he succeeds here, he has obvious potential as a coach, but I'm not convinced. And whilst he wants players to come in the summer, they won't if the present players don't rate him.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Based on chances created and possession, I think we've done really well not to get sucked into a battle at the wrong end of the table for the last couple of seasons. One comment on her recently summed it up perfectly when they said a lot of our wins this season have been "hands over your eyes" stuff, as we're hanging on and not retaining possession. Was for example the Arsenal defeat any worse a performance than our win home to Leicester ? Without doubt we need some new players who can both create and keep the ball better.

Was it any worse than the 1-1 draw at Chelsea in the first season? The one where we scored from one breakaway while spending 80 minutes camped in our own half? Hazard eventually equalised with their 30th shot or something. That was "hands over your eyes" - as have been many matches ever since promotion. Admitedly, the number is probably increasing, but this is not some "dramatic U-Turn from how it used to be". These players alway were always more comfortable playing this way and are good at it.

Add in plenty more tedious 0-0s against Brighton, Chelsea, Leicester. Horrible matches against Newcastle and Burnley. And even when beating Man U, in league and cup and the Spurs 3-2 win away (I'm just pulling these from memory, there were plenty more) if you go back and watch the final 15 minutes of those, it's "hands over the eyes" as we retreat all 11 back to our penalty area, giving up lots of chances to let opponents who *should* have been beaten, back into the match. On those occasions, they didn't take them. On others (eg the FA Cup semi-final, 1-1 draw at Arsenal) and the recent Arsenal match, they did and we turned victory into defeat. The point is, we've always had this in us. There was only one season we scored 50 goals in this league. One where nobody was injured . Also inlcuded several 3-2 wins - and what does that tell you? Under Nuno, we only scored 3 *if we really had to*. We'd have settled for the 1-0 every time. \

Remember the media used to say every week "Wolves are the best team in the league when not in possession". I also remember occasional comments right back then about us being "a bit dull to watch", especially when opponents also sat back and gave us nothing to counter. Those comments increased and now, most neutrals rate us alongside Burnley and Brighton as teams not worth watching. But it does go back over 2 years when people were first saying it.

So all this rambling is basically agreeing with your final point - what we are seeing is deeply ingrained in this squad and will take some new players - in key positions, too - to break away from. Also, things may get worse before they get better. Don't forget, Nuno also wanted to change our style - and he failed, basically. So Bruno is the second manager trying (and perhaps failing) to take us away from a basic "sit deep and counter" tactic. I remain unconvinced we have the right skills in the squad to succeed at playing any other way than "hands over the eyes" stuff. :)

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I preferred how Nuno played his players into good form. Jota would go 3 or 4 games doing nothing, but would recover form. Nuno did that 2 or 3 times for him. When we had real problems at the club, Jackett put them in the bombsquad and kept the first team positive. Did McCarthy criticise individual players openly like that? Lambert didn't like Saiss, but I don't recall him openly destroying his integrity as a professional.
Lage is psychologically distancing himself from the performance of the players, and it's a sign of an inexperienced manager or one who has run out of ideas. He can and should instill discipline and high standards within the squad and players that don't live up to those should face his wrath. But not as a public dressing down. I bet Jeff Shi isn't impressed either.
Lage deserves a summer and next season, but I hope he learns from his own mistakes too, otherwise his career here and elsewhere will be short lived. It is an extremely high pressured job on and off the pitch. I hope he succeeds here, he has obvious potential as a coach, but I'm not convinced. And whilst he wants players to come in the summer, they won't if the present players don't rate him.
Plenty of managers who have won more and have more experience have criticised players. My issue would be if (like Mourinho with Luke Shaw) there was no basis to it, but there is. For instance, Hoever when he takes a step back will see that what’s been said is the truth and he simply has to take it on the chin. Bruno doesn’t come over as the sort to mince what he says so he’s probably spoke to him previously with no change so has dug him out publically to shake him up. He used the phrase “kids” but realistically these are young adults earning vast sums of money so a bit of professionalism isn’t really a big ask.

I’m all for managers protecting players but not blindly, if they collectively feel a bit comfortable and took their foot of the gas collectively (purely conjecture on my part) I’ve no issue him rattling their cage.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't disagree Thommo but Coady has proved himself time and time again to be a great captain and leader imo. He has limitations (speed being one of them) but he is a great leader and has the respect of all his team mates. I can remember people saying one of our best ever captains, Mike Bailey, had limitations and the odd bad game, but he more than made up for that with his leadership skills. Many years ago I know, but he was our leader, just like Coady!

Conor and many of our best players have proved themselves over and over again since we were promoted. Hoever has not played one good game imo despite being given the chance!

Scapegoat isn't the word. Any of underperformer or uninterested or unfit or underprepared probably is.
Agree about Mike Bailey, a true warrior.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Far far too much thin skin on here. Bruno has dug out a few players (with justifiable reasoning, none of what he has said is factually incorrect). They’re professionals ffs. Most people in the world have had a rollicking off a boss, you either take your medicine like a man and improve or you silk and leave. Football is no different. If it envokes a negative response from the players then I suggest they aren’t the sort of players we want here. This is elite sport, so you need to be elite, anything less than 100% both in training or a game should absolutely be called out.
Agree with everything apart from the highlighted phrases above. In any other walk of life the person would take their *******ing and get on with it.

Football is different. It shouldn’t be but it is, for whatever reason it’s a different world and you have to be very careful as a manager when doing what Bruno has done. Bad feeling can filter through squad cliques and become a real problem.

Hopefully Bruno has echoed the sentiments of the senior pros at the club and they’re glad he’s said it. If he’s been as half ***** as has been made out then I’m sure Coady, Mouts, Neves etc will be happy he’s said what he’s said.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree with everything apart from the highlighted phrases above. In any other walk of life the person would take their *******ing and get on with it.

Football is different. It shouldn’t be but it is, for whatever reason it’s a different world and you have to be very careful as a manager when doing what Bruno has done. Bad feeling can filter through squad cliques and become a real problem.

Hopefully Bruno has echoed the sentiments of the senior pros at the club and they’re glad he’s said it. If he’s been as half ***** as has been made out then I’m sure Coady, Mouts, Neves etc will be happy he’s said what he’s said.
It is a different world and I suppose if he’d dug out a senior pro they might well be on the phone to their agents in seconds but as a kid on the way up you just have to take it. There’s so many examples of young players who fall away as they think they have “made it” far earlier than they actually have.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Plenty of managers who have won more and have more experience have criticised players. My issue would be if (like Mourinho with Luke Shaw) there was no basis to it, but there is. For instance, Hoever when he takes a step back will see that what’s been said is the truth and he simply has to take it on the chin. Bruno doesn’t come over as the sort to mince what he says so he’s probably spoke to him previously with no change so has dug him out publically to shake him up. He used the phrase “kids” but realistically these are young adults earning vast sums of money so a bit of professionalism isn’t really a big ask.

I’m all for managers protecting players but not blindly, if they collectively feel a bit comfortable and took their foot of the gas collectively (purely conjecture on my part) I’ve no issue him rattling their cage.
I get what you're saying, but in my opinion it stays in the changing room. Luke Shaw has been a much better player since Mourinho left and he is an experienced player. I'm not saying he's a great player! But he has improved imo. Getting the cage rattled is fine, and when needed is part of being a good coach, but better kept in house and, if not, at least said when one is calm and controlled.
I want lage to succeed. But the only coach I was impressed with on Saturday was Tony Roberts, who spent the final 5 minutes of the woeful match on the edge of the coaches' area and at the final whistle went over to Sa to console him. And hopefully to tell him what a fine game he had (one mistake excepting!)

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I always think its a huge mistake by a manager to publicly name and shame a player in the press. No player is ever going to react any other way than negatively and it will just lead to a lack of confidence in himself and in his manager and then that runs the risk of spreading to others in the squad.

If he felt players weren't putting the work in on a day to day then you call the entire team into a meeting and you give the entire squad the hairdryer treatment about it, the second he leaves that meeting you can bet the hard workers and winners in the group will soon get on to them to start putting in the effort.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think I must be ill, that's a couple of your posts today I've agreed with!
It will be interesting to see how Hoever responds. I suggest his career needs a lot of work otherwise he may have the stellar careers of say Enobakhare or Otasowie.....

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I always think its a huge mistake by a manager to publicly name and shame a player in the press. No player is ever going to react any other way than negatively and it will just lead to a lack of confidence in himself and in his manager and then that runs the risk of spreading to others in the squad.

If he felt players weren't putting the work in on a day to day then you call the entire team into a meeting and you give the entire squad the hairdryer treatment about it, the second he leaves that meeting you can bet the hard workers and winners in the group will soon get on to them to start putting in the effort.
You may be right, and airing dirty linen is often counter productive, it would be interesting to have some background. I this is the first time that Hoever has stepped out o line, it is poor on Brunos part. If he is a serial offender and hasn't responded to 'niceness' then I am all for what Bruno did.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree. We should have elite management too. Lage's utter crap team selection, pathetic substitutions and shoulder-sloping were more Dog and Duck level. He needs to look in a damned mirror to see the first person to blame!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

A rollicking privately from your boss is one thing. One done publicly in front of your colleagues is another which, dependent on how bad it is, could end up in an Employment Trubunal for constructive dismissal. In the media for millions to see/hear/read is a whole different order of magnitude.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am not impressed with some of the signings shi has made. Maybe he needs to be questioned.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seen some talk of Hoever not having any mention of Wolves on his social media now, anyone know if that is true? Not sue if he ever did have mention of Wolves but if he has actually removed anything in a huff then that would speak volumes about Hoever as a person.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

I am not impressed with some of the signings shi has made. Maybe he needs to be questioned.
Of course he does. He literally doesn’t know what he’s doing and Scott Sellars is no help either.

If Jorge isn’t interested we’re at a massive disadvantage against clubs that do know what they’re doing.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A rollicking privately from your boss is one thing. One done publicly in front of your colleagues is another which, dependent on how bad it is, could end up in an Employment Trubunal for constructive dismissal. In the media for millions to see/hear/read is a whole different order of magnitude.
I agree. Is Bruno not able to manage his players in private without using the media? A PL coach has to be good at man management and not just tactics.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was it any worse than the 1-1 draw at Chelsea in the first season? The one where we scored from one breakaway while spending 80 minutes camped in our own half? Hazard eventually equalised with their 30th shot or something. That was "hands over your eyes" - as have been many matches ever since promotion. Admitedly, the number is probably increasing, but this is not some "dramatic U-Turn from how it used to be". These players alway were always more comfortable playing this way and are good at it.

Add in plenty more tedious 0-0s against Brighton, Chelsea, Leicester. Horrible matches against Newcastle and Burnley. And even when beating Man U, in league and cup and the Spurs 3-2 win away (I'm just pulling these from memory, there were plenty more) if you go back and watch the final 15 minutes of those, it's "hands over the eyes" as we retreat all 11 back to our penalty area, giving up lots of chances to let opponents who *should* have been beaten, back into the match. On those occasions, they didn't take them. On others (eg the FA Cup semi-final, 1-1 draw at Arsenal) and the recent Arsenal match, they did and we turned victory into defeat. The point is, we've always had this in us. There was only one season we scored 50 goals in this league. One where nobody was injured . Also inlcuded several 3-2 wins - and what does that tell you? Under Nuno, we only scored 3 *if we really had to*. We'd have settled for the 1-0 every time. \

Remember the media used to say every week "Wolves are the best team in the league when not in possession". I also remember occasional comments right back then about us being "a bit dull to watch", especially when opponents also sat back and gave us nothing to counter. Those comments increased and now, most neutrals rate us alongside Burnley and Brighton as teams not worth watching. But it does go back over 2 years when people were first saying it.

So all this rambling is basically agreeing with your final point - what we are seeing is deeply ingrained in this squad and will take some new players - in key positions, too - to break away from. Also, things may get worse before they get better. Don't forget, Nuno also wanted to change our style - and he failed, basically. So Bruno is the second manager trying (and perhaps failing) to take us away from a basic "sit deep and counter" tactic. I remain unconvinced we have the right skills in the squad to succeed at playing any other way than "hands over the eyes" stuff. :)

Brighton might not win but do attack and create chances, Far more entertaining and worth watching than wolves IMO.

Did Hoever have these problems at Liverpool ? if he did where was the due diligence?

I recall a manager maybe Clough who said you have to know the character of the player, some respond well to public dressing down whereas some don't.

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
I don't think Bruno copes well when things aren't going to plan. I noticed this during those first three games. He was moaning about all sorts of random stuff. The opposition not kicking the ball out for us, for instance. Now we have a seemingly disproportionate public outburst against one of his own players. To me it seems a bit like deflection tactics.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think Bruno copes well when things aren't going to plan. I noticed this during those first three games. He was moaning about all sorts of random stuff. The opposition not kicking the ball out for us, for instance. Now we have a seemingly disproportionate public outburst against one of his own players. To me it seems a bit like deflection tactics.

From the outside looking in and just looking at reports about the end of his time at Benfica, it appeared when his gameplan didnt work he didnt have any solutions to fix it. Difference is here he hasnt really been backed.

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think I must be ill, that's a couple of your posts today I've agreed with!
It will be interesting to see how Hoever responds. I suggest his career needs a lot of work otherwise he may have the stellar careers of say Enobakhare or Otasowie.....

I think Hoever’s only option is to respond in a positive manner or he’s done - agreed it will be interesting to see what happens now.

What Neves said in his recent interview with Dave Edwards was interesting as well - I can’t remember the quote exactly but he was saying that every player within the changing room must be of the same mindset otherwise they aren’t welcome.

I personally want a squad with the mentality of Lage and Neves. Completely focussed and ruthless in ambition.

I can understand some posters criticisms of Bruno speaking on this in the press (ideally these matters are sorted quickly and privately), but to me there’s no way Bruno hadn’t spoken to Hoever before in training etc on what he wants from him. If he’s not doing what is asked whilst at the same time (if you believe the press) is expecting to start, well, he needs to expect criticism however it comes.

Hoever looked like he didn’t fancy that last game to me.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This losing streak must end tomorrow. We are undoubtedly a better side than Watford over the course of the season. No more dodgy team selections and passing the buck. Raul up top, a simple game plan, decisive substitutions and some decent free flowing football. Even a ground out win I will accept, anything less will not be good enough.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am all for saying it as it is their is nothing wrong with home truths. But I cannot see how players work rate in training had anything to do with Saturday's debacle. It was just an absolute dire team performance throughout provoked by poor team selection and tactics and surely this is the issue. Lage needs to take responsibility and show his leadership qualities rather than deferring blame on youngsters.

probably trying to drum into Jeff that he ay got the players he needed.He's told him for 2 transfer Windows what he wanted/needed,and got nothing.The players that did come in might not have bin the one's Bruno wanted.The ones who come into the team replacing injured or out of form players,need to show they are capable of doing a job,and show some passion.I day see that from Hoever.Jeff should know now that he needs reinforcements.If he dow get them then we know they have lost interest.Simple as.

Last edited:

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

BUT What if he has already told him.He could have told him many times about his time keeping (if that is part of the issue ) and his bad training,and now he's had enough and people needed telling how it is. Fans keep saying you want to know what's gewin on at the club.And now ya know.Bruno ay impressed with some of the youngsters.They need to say to themselves that they are paid good money and get their heads down and work hard.They can party all they want wen they retire with millions wen they'm 35. :mad:

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
BUT What if he has already told him.He could have told him many times about his time keeping (if that is part of the issue ) and his bad training,and now he's had enough and people needed telling how it is. Fans keep saying you want to know what's gewin on at the club.And now ya know.Bruno ay impressed with some of the youngsters.They need to say to themselves that they are paid good money and get their heads down and work hard.They can party all they want wen they retire with millions wen they'm 35. :mad:
If Bruno had taken Hoever to task previously, and I assume that to be the case, and he would have seen him training prior to the match, totally Bruno's fault in selecting him. If so the manager should be pointing the finger at himself.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Hoever’s only option is to respond in a positive manner or he’s done - agreed it will be interesting to see what happens now.

What Neves said in his recent interview with Dave Edwards was interesting as well - I can’t remember the quote exactly but he was saying that every player within the changing room must be of the same mindset otherwise they aren’t welcome.

I personally want a squad with the mentality of Lage and Neves. Completely focussed and ruthless in ambition.

I can understand some posters criticisms of Bruno speaking on this in the press (ideally these matters are sorted quickly and privately), but to me there’s no way Bruno hadn’t spoken to Hoever before in training etc on what he wants from him. If he’s not doing what is asked whilst at the same time (if you believe the press) is expecting to start, well, he needs to expect criticism however it comes.

Hoever looked like he didn’t fancy that last game to me.
He never looks like he fancies it tbh, but I guess in part that may be because he doesn't get a run in the side. The flip side of that of course, is if you do get a rare chance surely you look to impress....or I that the minset of a 50 Yr old not someone a few years younger ?

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Bruno had taken Hoever to task previously, and I assume that to be the case, and he would have seen him training prior to the match, totally Bruno's fault in selecting him. If so the manager should be pointing the finger at himself.
So who should have played RWB on Saturday?

Last edited:

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From the outside looking in and just looking at reports about the end of his time at Benfica, it appeared when his gameplan didnt work he didnt have any solutions to fix it. Difference is here he hasnt really been backed.
Changed his game plan after 3 games and got us to 8th.

No backing,
Neto and Jonny starting come backs from long term injuries,
Raul a shadow of his former self,
Young player(s) with a poor attitude.

Lage has done fine in the circumstances in my opinion.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
Many others in this thread have shared that exact thought. My response to you and them is what should Bruno have done given his first choice RB is out?

Start Jonny?
It would be negligent to play him for 90 minutes and it makes little sense to waste a sub on a right back after 60 mins. Makes even less sense when you would also need 1 sub for Neto.

That’s poor management...

Now alternatively I’m of the opinion when Semedo went down Bruno would have first approached Hoever addressing his training/attitude/commitment and reminding him that this is his opportunity now Semedo is out. If private chats drew no positive response or improvements, and then he goes down in his 2nd start with what looks like a muscle injury 25 minutes into a game, he’s got every right to give him a lambasting in public.

It’s easy to just say “well what’s he doing playing him in the first place?” but as I’ve tried to illustrate I believe there are more factors involved.

Regarding potentially upsetting the squad with his post match comments. Specifically singling out a team mate in a negative manner. Be assured if the manager can see Hoever or anyone else is not up to the standard he expects then the rest of the team can see it too. It also puts the others to who he is referring to on notice.

DJW

Reaction score
I'm not sure slating him in public, however much it might be deserved, will help us offload him. More likely we will have to give him away now, which will upset Mr Shi.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Changed his game plan after 3 games and got us to 8th.

No backing,
Neto and Jonny starting come backs from long term injuries,
Raul a shadow of his former self,
Young player(s) with a poor attitude.

Lage has done fine in the circumstances in my opinion.

You could argue we went back to somebody else's game plan. We will see whether he has done fine or not at the end of the season. He has stuck to one way of playing all season pretty much and it's been as dull and negative as last season was. It's time he changed things up imo.

We have 2 very poor teams next up. I'm expecting 6 points. Be interesting to see what happens in those games.

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So who should have player RWB on Saturday?

It seems that personal responsibility is an alien concept to most on here

If Hoever wasn’t doing the work but saying he was good to play, Bruno has given him the chance to prove him wrong but he’s proven him right and got injured.

Hoever either sulks like a brat, or accepts the advice of his leaders and knuckles down.

This whole forum must be self employed or work for the council, seems hardly any posters have ever had a size 10 up the backside at work

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And he did quit Benfica when the going got tough.

Back
Top Bottom