Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ask Wolves

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would take midtable obscurity but I genuinely fear worse than that next season.
I think you have to when you take into account our form over the last few months or so, easy to suffer a hangover in that respect.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Think youve misunderstood where i was coming from. I am very much you can only spend what you have got. It was more for those who will find any excuse to moan as the videos will be a big trigger for them.
No I agree with your assessment, wasn't having a go at you was kind of jumping off on what you were saying.

Edit - wasn't not was having a go at you

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member sbk12944

Just watched episode 1, one take from what I heard is that we don’t have the players to play high press as we don’t have the recovery pace. And we struggle against constant crosses because apart from a couple of players we are generally a short/small side.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think the best we can hope for is mid table obscurity for the rest of FOSUN's tenure. I'd rather they sell us on for a nice profit than oversee stagnation and decline on the pitch as is bound to come.

We don't know who is coming into the team but it seems to hinge on the Neves sale as we are going to get relatively little for the others. Neves is easily our best player, most valuable asset - the nightmare scenario is no-one bids and his contract runs down (ala Traore) and goes for relatively little next year - but lets not go there.

With the constrictions we are working under, and uncertainty regarding players coming in, its hard to see us planning for much more than survival / mid-table. I don't see how we suddenly evolve into an attacking team under these constraints so I am expecting that it will be more of the same next season when it comes to set-up / tactics.

Whether we like it or not Jimenez, Neves, Moutinho, Neto, Jota were all big draws for players to come to Wolves and we seemed to have a live project. It now appears we are treading water .

Last edited:

Warrington_Wolf

Reaction score
I think the fans only get on board with the sustainable model based on building different revenue streams off the back of the Wolves brand if Wolves themselves are the centrepiece and main beneficiaries of this.

From the way Jeff talks, it seems like he sees the companies (football, e-sports, music) in a linear way rather than Wolves sitting at the top of the pyramid. He seems more passionate about e-sports than he is about the football side of things.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno wants 2-3 players on top of what we have here at the moment

That’s a lot of signings given we know ruddy, saiss, neves, maybe moutinho are on their way out.

6-7 signings, excluding any other exits

Munich_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you want to seriously compete with the top 6 then you need to build your revenue streams and esports is one way to do it. Look at how much Liverpool and United generate just because of the huge international following they have. Man City are building a big US following because they’ve partnered with a top esports team called FaZe Clan

The Wolves logo was on full-show during the latest MSI event which averaged over 500k viewers per game, all the way up to 2 million+ in the final (which wolves’ partner team missed out on). I don’t even think those views consider people watching from Asia.

Anybody who watches the premier league regularly already has a team they support. Esports is a way to target those people who might not watch and ensure Wolves is ‘their’ team. Quite smart if you ask me.

If people want consistent Top 6 then the revenue stream needs to match it. Tapping into the international market and finding those who don’t yet watch the premier league is a great way to do it.

they have a huge international following because they are successful, not because of bloody esports or music

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

We don't know who is coming into the team but it seems to hinge on the Neves sale as we are going to get relatively little for the others. Neves is easily our best player, most valuable asset - the nightmare scenario is no-one bids and his contract runs down (ala Traore) and goes for relatively little next year - but lets not go there.

With the constrictions we are working under, and uncertainty regarding players coming in, its hard to see us planning for much more than survival / mid-table. I don't see how we suddenly evolve into an attacking team under these constraints so I am expecting that it will be more of the same next season when it comes to set-up / tactics.
Think we need to be more attacking, not necessarily over the top attacking per se. Leicester for example have always struck a good balance, just Rodgers is a perennial bottle job + obviously revenue gap means their squad lacks the depth.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Risky model as it doesn’t show ambition to a) the manager b) potential signings

Who would want to come here now? Literally youngsters to make it in the prem - who may well not be good enough.

The decision to raise prices based on this strategy is just a joke
Where do you suggest we get the money to fund the "ambition" you want to see? A loan for transfers? Aka a Ridsdale

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
competitive and financially healthy. Squad and structure for a long term. welcomes different views ( welcome this get your chequebook out). Its all about brand Wolverhampton wanderers. He loves the esports, thats clear.

To me that means Lage is staying and several are going. This just confirms it. He wants to compete with the top six but feels that a worldwide fan base is the key and to make us a global powerhouse. Hence why he isn't so upset to hike season ticket prices then. If his project time line is stand - walk- run we have , in my option , spent a long time walking. Emotional attachment in the club required to get buy in from China and Asia. Hwang for example then appeals. He also goes on about FFP again.

He says he is looking to increase the ceiling to make the brand bigger to give us more spending power as the brand size increases and we can spend more., I dont see us spending then without selling. Optimise the squad he says , shuffle the squad and some will go.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno is obviously staying but it’s noticeable that he was interviewed a lot later than others, could be just the timetable.

Jeff very much talks about the fact we can’t compete with the big 6 as the current revenue streams don’t allow it. Consequently they are trying to grow these both by increasing the fan base and diversifying the revenue streams. The club will become more corporate and global and that it can’t just focus on the 200,000 supporters in Wolverhampton, it needs to grow Wolves from a local clan to a global brand. We are likely to sign more players from US, Asia and I would imagine Africa based on his comments and brand growth. Eventually he’d like an IPO of Fosun Sports with Wolves as part of that. It’s the Red Bill model and he said as much last year. To be honest a lot aren’t going to like it as they prefer being part of a small clan.

5 - Lescott

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No disrepect to the H&S guy but nothing amazing in there.

Russell Jones however, talks of reprofiling the SB lower tier so it will bank up to the LED screens and therefore bringing it closer to the pitch. Cost around £16m but not viable this summer due to shorter than usual break

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno is obviously staying but it’s noticeable that he was interviewed a lot later than others, could be just the timetable.

Jeff very much talks about the fact we can’t compete with the big 6 as the current revenue streams don’t allow it. Consequently they are trying to grow these both by increasing the fan base and diversifying the revenue streams. The club will become more corporate and global and that it can’t just focus on the 200,000 supporters in Wolverhampton, it needs to grow Wolves from a local clan to a global brand. We are likely to sign more players from US, Asia and I would imagine Africa based on his comments and brand growth. Eventually he’d like an IPO of Fosun Sports with Wolves as part of that. It’s the Red Bill model and he said as much last year. To be honest a lot aren’t going to like it as they prefer being part of a small clan.

The problem is success breeds growth. There are anomalies to this , e.g. Mexican fans following Wolves due to Jimenez - but this is a transient fanbase and its doubtful they continue to follow Wolves if he leaves. It could be argued we are trying this with Hwang but this only works for Wolves if the player is good enough to play Premier League and improves the team

Fans in Asia / Africa follow United / City / Barca / Real Madrid / Liverpool because they win things and are successful - not because they have a good esports team.

Warrington_Wolf

Reaction score
Where do you suggest we get the money to fund the "ambition" you want to see? A loan for transfers? Aka a Ridsdale

Investment in the stadium to increase capacity and the club's commercial offering for a start. Remember that any money spent on infrastructure falls outside the remit of FFP.

It's certainly not by charging Dave from Dudley more every year for his season ticket in the South Bank.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score

Bruno had covid didn’t he, around the time of the other interviews.

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
So as we see it, unless we sell we ain’t going to buy. Don’t know what’s going to happen with neves, he ain’t going to Barcelona as they haven’t a pot to p*ss in. The top six at this moment don’t seem interested. Without selling neves and that’s where any decent money will come from that’s it. We’ve had a couple of good years with Fosun but like all good things sometimes goes stale. For me they should put up or sell us on.

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
Investment in the stadium to increase capacity and the club's commercial offering for a start. Remember that any money spent on infrastructure falls outside the remit of FFP.

It's certainly not by charging Dave from Dudley more every year for his season ticket in the South Bank.
To be honest making the stadium bigger is of no use with a lower mid table team. We know fans will come and fill the ground with decent football but the turgid stuff since Christmas won’t fill what we have

MontyR

Reaction score
they have a huge international following because they are successful, not because of bloody esports or music
Which is entirely my point. They’re successful and because of that have much more income than we do. You could argue that Leicester has given the big 6 a challenge but even they have been inconsistent since their title win, and since then their wages as a percentage of revenue has been in the mud. Did their title win really bring them more fans?

The club tries a completely fair and modern way of building up a following and everyone is up in arms.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you want to seriously compete with the top 6 then you need to build your revenue streams and esports is one way to do it. Look at how much Liverpool and United generate just because of the huge international following they have. Man City are building a big US following because they’ve partnered with a top esports team called FaZe Clan

The Wolves logo was on full-show during the latest MSI event which averaged over 500k viewers per game, all the way up to 2 million+ in the final (which wolves’ partner team missed out on). I don’t even think those views consider people watching from Asia.

Anybody who watches the premier league regularly already has a team they support. Esports is a way to target those people who might not watch and ensure Wolves is ‘their’ team. Quite smart if you ask me.

If people want consistent Top 6 then the revenue stream needs to match it. Tapping into the international market and finding those who don’t yet watch the premier league is a great way to do it.

Yes, the world has moved on a bit since the 1950s. Bovril and Bile Beans adverts just don't generate the revenue these days.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

In reality though a few thousand on the capacity isn't going to generate the levels of income that will make Wolves a challenger. Newcastle average 50k and they are needing outside investment to drive them on. Shortly Villa will have a bigger ground and, being in Birmingham, will always be more attractive for outdoor concerts etc than Wolves.

I'm not sure what the answer is to be honest. It seems to be a choice of getting into bed with the devil and accepting huge investment from an Arab sheikh (It does seem that Fosun have reigned in, or have been instructed to reign in investment) or simply accept we are a provincial club and mid-table survival and a good cup run is the target - Develop and then sell your best/young players and go again. This can work for a time, Bolton, Southampton, Burnley etc up to the point that one season it suddenly doesn't work that year and you get relegated.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not filled with excitement on the back of Shi’s interview (S2 E11). But I guess he was never going to come out and say “we’re looking to spend £200m this summer, and Neves has signed a 5 year deal”.

Some observations/ questions:
  • Glad we’re not gung-ho racking up debts. But we seem very scared about FFP - seem to use this as more of an excuse than any other clubs in the PL
  • Does eSports really lead to more revenue for the first XI?
  • What does re-shuffling the squad actually mean? Doesn’t sound like we’ll be spending much though. Think our squad peaked 2019/20
  • Hwang is in the team for the long haul based on his comments regarding Asian market needing an Asian player to grow their support/ passion
  • Find it hard to believe there were no players that would have improved the team in Jan - if budget wasn’t the issue (Shi’a words). Perhaps we do have a terrible scouting team?
  • Ceiling is going to be the word we hear A LOT from now on under Fosun
  • He talks some waffle: “Maybe next season we can go to the top 4?”, having just said our ceiling is outside the top 6
  • Fans need to accept we’re a ‘corporate’ not a ‘club’

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which is entirely my point. They’re successful and because of that have much more income than we do. You could argue that Leicester has given the big 6 a challenge but even they have been inconsistent since their title win, and since then their wages as a percentage of revenue has been in the mud. Did their title win really bring them more fans?

The club tries a completely fair and modern way of building up a following and everyone is up in arms.

Nobody is up in arms about them trying to build any revenue stream . The issue is those revenue streams at the moment arent particularly significant and ultimately people support the teams for football and success not e-sports. To suggest this is going to significantly impact the status / financial well being of Wolves any time in the near future is way off beam to me.

The wider issue is that the Premier League top 6 have ring fenced the cash and FFP has further enhanced the one sidedness of the league. We are heading towards the same issues that Scottish football has/had with Rangers and Celtic. Any team with a half decent player loses them to a top team and they probably wont even play but it keeps the teams below precisely where they are.

It's pretty depressing really.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Enjoyed that tbh. Better than last year's.

They know exactly what they're doing with the brand and the club. My only fear is complacency with regards to the playing side.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only way these videos would go down well is if he turned round and said we have 500 million to spend.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not filled with excitement on the back of Shi’s interview (S2 E11). But I guess he was never going to come out and say “we’re looking to spend £200m this summer, and Neves has signed a 5 year deal”.

Some observations/ questions:
  • Glad we’re not gung-ho racking up debts. But we seem very scared about FFP - seem to use this as more of an excuse than any other clubs in the PL
  • Does eSports really lead to more revenue for the first XI?
  • What does re-shuffling the squad actually mean? Doesn’t sound like we’ll be spending much though. Think our squad peaked 2019/20
  • Hwang is in the team for the long haul based on his comments regarding Asian market needing an Asian player to grow their support/ passion
  • Find it hard to believe there were no players that would have improved the team in Jan - if budget wasn’t the issue (Shi’a words). Perhaps we do have a terrible scouting team?
  • Ceiling is going to be the word we hear A LOT from now on under Fosun
  • He talks some waffle: “Maybe next season we can go to the top 4?”, having just said our ceiling is outside the top 6
  • Fans need to accept we’re a ‘corporate’ not a ‘club’
Not impressed . Boring drivel, boring football, Got no balls. No dreams , no nothing . # sad.

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Fans Wanted communication

Communication comes out

“ it's not what I wanted to hear”

I see relegation has been thrown in already, a week after the end of the season.

The club aren't going to tell you targets or the money they have to spend so let's just see how the summer plays out

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom