Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ask Wolves

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree that we need to buy better players, either that or bring some academy players through. My issue is with the strategy.

I can understand Fosun wanting to get into esports if they can see a way to make money. Not so sure about music or fashion. But, how are these ventures being funded and will any profit go back into developing the team?

If we see some quality players coming in this summer to replace the likes of Neves, then I will be happy. I just don't think it will happen. The tap turned off two years ago, due to geopolitical issues, and we are not going to get any more now. Any money made from esports is going back to China.
You bring up some good points but you’re also speculating on other points.
Will all profits from esport, fashion or music go to the football side of Wolverhampton Wanderers? Who knows?
I can only hope it does but if it doesn’t, there’s nothing I can do about it.
Oh, I might be disappointed but I won’t moan about it…..it’s their money.

But that’s the cornerstone of all football clubs, isn’t it? Hope. We hope our team will win, we hope we buy the best player etc.

After all the money spent, city and Liverpool fans hoped that they’d win the European cup…haha, sorry guys.

As to your last line we don’t know that any money will go back to China, do we?

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You bring up some good points but you’re also speculating on other points.
Will all profits from esport, fashion or music go to the football side of Wolverhampton Wanderers? Who knows?
I can only hope it does but if it doesn’t, there’s nothing I can do about it.
Oh, I might be disappointed but I won’t moan about it…..it’s their money.

But that’s the cornerstone of all football clubs, isn’t it? Hope. We hope our team will win, we hope we buy the best player etc.

After all the money spent, city and Liverpool fans hoped that they’d win the European cup…haha, sorry guys.

As to your last line we don’t know that any money will go back to China, do we?
You are right of course. I don't know anything. If Wolves end up with a revenue stream that can be used to improve the team, or possibly even fix the roof, then I am all for it.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

Mea culpa sir! ;)
For what it’s worth I agree with a lot of your posts too although sometimes your phrasing is a tiny, tiny bit , eh….shall we say, less than patient.
I'm getting old. My patience factor is diminishing every day i get older, and even more when i read some of the stuff posted recently..lol

HowfenWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I'm getting old. My patience factor is diminishing every day i get older, and even more when i read some of the stuff posted recently..lol

This is nothing - wait till the new fans start posting about Wolves - they won't even know that the club is based in Wolverhampton

D

Deleted member drgr12429

This is nothing - wait till the new fans start posting about Wolves - they won't even know that the club is based in Wolverhampton
I'm sure they will on the latter. The Wolverhampton Wanderers name will be the clue...

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suggest you watch it again. It's pretty obvious he sees them as more important than the locals - anyone can see that. There's a difference between a follower and a fan - a fan is someone who has roots to the club/invests their hard earned money into actually supporting the team. Putting your crappy sarcastic tone to one side (which shows you have very little understanding of what an actual fan is), local fans are the life blood of any football club, that's a fact. Not saying there isn't room for global fans, that's part of the game. But it shouldn't be to the detriment of the core local fanbase which, at the end of the day, is what is the foundation of any football club.
I honestly didn’t get that impression. I thought he emphasised the need to grow the business by widening the appeal and business streams - which will then need new supporters/fans across the globe. As a local, long term fan, it didn’t make me feel marginalised. Maybe, I missed something? Have you got any direct quotes?

D

Deleted member drgr12429

I honestly didn’t get that impression. I thought he emphasised the need to grow the business by widening the appeal and business streams - which will then need new supporters/fans across the globe. As a local, long term fan, it didn’t make me feel marginalised. Maybe, I missed something? Have you got any direct quotes?
There are no direct quotes. He's making it up to suit his narrative as i posted a while back.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are no direct quotes. He's making it up to suit his narrative as i posted a while back.
To be fair I think he’s genuine but somewhere he got that impression…..since the Ask Wolves videos, comments akin to that were popping up.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

"They are more and more important. First, it’s like a family, you want more and more fans joining the family, and also with a bigger fanbase you have a much bigger power commercially to attract partners, sponsors, even sell more merchandise around the world, and it will help us to have a much better commercial power to compete with the top six. Otherwise, if you only leverage the maybe 200,000 fans here in Wolverhampton, I think it’s no use because you cannot compete with maybe 100 million fans for Man United, so it’s very important to have the attraction, to attract all the eyeballs around the world and make our fanbase much bigger than the local area, then we have the chance to be a global powerhouse, then it’s the starting point to be a worldwide club."

For me, he's speaking like they're more important than the real match going fans. He later goes on to say about how they need to reach out to these fans when signing a player as well - again - to appease these fans and for 'marketing' purposes. Again, it's clear this is why we signed Hwang - for the views and hits in South Korea and to appease the global followers, not to strengthen the team.

At best, it's naive from Jeff. He needs to think about the audience he's addressing. All that guff about esports and global "fans" was as if he was addressing his bosses in China, not the match going fans of the club.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

"They are more and more important. First, it’s like a family, you want more and more fans joining the family, and also with a bigger fanbase you have a much bigger power commercially to attract partners, sponsors, even sell more merchandise around the world, and it will help us to have a much better commercial power to compete with the top six. Otherwise, if you only leverage the maybe 200,000 fans here in Wolverhampton, I think it’s no use because you cannot compete with maybe 100 million fans for Man United, so it’s very important to have the attraction, to attract all the eyeballs around the world and make our fanbase much bigger than the local area, then we have the chance to be a global powerhouse, then it’s the starting point to be a worldwide club."

For me, he's speaking like they're more important than the real march going fans. He later goes on to say about how they need to reach out to these fans when signing a player as well - again - to appease these fans and for 'marketing' purposes. Again, it's clear this is why we signed Hwang - for the views and hits in South Korea and to appease the global followers, not to strengthen the team.
Absolutely nowhere there does he say the worldwide fans are more important than the fans in Wolverhampton. You are making it up as you go along.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely nowhere there does he say the worldwide fans are more important than the fans in Wolverhampton. You are making it up as you go along.

He doesn't need to say it, but he as good as does say it if you put 2 and 2 together. Read between the lines and draw your own conclusions. I've drawn mine, you clearly draw different ones. So bore off with your patronising claptrap.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

He doesn't need to say it. Read between the lines and draw your own conclusions. I've drawn mine, you clearly draw different ones. So bore off with your patronising claptrap.
LOL..... What a crock.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

If you can't see what's in front of your nose and want to just revert to insults that's your perogative and I can't help you.
That's the thing, i can see what is in front of me. And it's not what you say it is, however you jumble up the words. ...
Like i said, you are making it up as you go along.

Last edited by a moderator:

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's the thing, i can see what is in front of me. And it's not what you say it is, however you jumble up the words....
Like i said, you are making it up as you go along.

You really can't if you can't see through the bull**** from Jeff Shi....

Last edited by a moderator:

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

For me, he's speaking like they're more important than the real match going fans. He later goes on to say about how they need to reach out to these fans when signing a player as well - again - to appease these fans and for 'marketing' purposes. Again, it's clear this is why we signed Hwang - for the views and hits in South Korea and to appease the global followers, not to strengthen the team.

At best, it's naive from Jeff. He needs to think about the audience he's addressing. All that guff about esports and global "fans" was as if he was addressing his bosses in China, not the match going fans of the club.
I know you’re sincere.
What Jeff is saying is that global fans are more and more important in order to grow.

What he’s NOT saying is that global fans are more important than local fans.
He is not comparing one versus the other…….why would he?

There came a point somewhere in United’s or Liverpool‘s history where no more shirts, merchandise etc could be sold to the locals but sales and fans from the continent became more and more important as they wanted to grow.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As always people have their PoV and interpret the comments to suit. I can't see where Jeff suggests that non local fans are more important. He is suggesting that growing that fan base is important. Quite frankly if a decent amount of the money generated comes back to the club thats good news surely? And the more exposure and 'followers' the club has on social media and other platforms the more advertising and sponsorship money right? So it's all gravy.
Jeff, as I understand it, runs all of the Wolves related businesses not just the football club, so he has to take in an interest in them anyway.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the debate over whether far flung fans or local ones are more important is spurious…. what can’t be disputed is that the former are being prioritised. It feels like the latter may eventually benefit if the big plan works …. but then we have no evidence of that. In fact if you point to jeff’s comments on Man City a few years ago, then you can see why a section of local fans are increasingly cynical.

Japan Wulf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
While its great that your mate in Japan now follows Wolves - and he's to be commended for that decision
The reality is that for people who live in Wolverhampton, its their local team who many have followed for years & years. Many of these people (& their families) have spent thousands of pounds over the years watching Wolves.
Out of curiosity, ask your mate why he chose to support WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS
Did he like the name Wolves?
Did he like the badge or the colour of our kit?
Did he like the motto - 'Out of Darkness cometh light?
Did he like one particular player(s)or the colours or was it from watching one player in particular?
Will he always support Wolves or will this just be whilst they are in the Premier League?
My mate follows Wolves because I exposed him to the club. I showed him some of the highlights and 'impressed him with my enthusiasm', for want of better words. In essence, it's no different to the way I started following the club as a kid. It came from my friends and family. Is that not the usual way?
You could also say that I exposed him to the brand. Kind of like what Fosun is trying to do in various corners of the world.
And yes, there is the question of money - hard cash. In all honesty, I don't think my mate has invested any money in the club as yet but he may do. I don't spend a lot either, but I order the occasional polo shirt and that kind of thing.
But here's where I'm going to stand on my soapbox and beat the drum. Spending more at the turnstiles or the club shop doesn't make you a better fan any more than paying more taxes makes you a better citizen. It does indeed make you a better investor - which is no small thing in itself - but that's where it ends.
Summer Wolf suggested that Jeff is more interested in plastic fans (like me and my mate), rather than the 'real' local-born variety. If Jeff has any sense - and I think he probably has - he'll be interested in all of us.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely ( Shirley ) ay with us today.A supporter is someone who supports something.So a supporter of wolves goes to the matches.A fan is just a fan.I was a fan of David Bowie.RIP.But never sin him live.But I was a supporter of Queen as I saw them loads of times live.SO I supported em.Anyway I'm off up town now to have a couple of jars.Hogs here I come.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Aren't you a "new"fan
A quick look shows the guy has 10k followers, 30k+ tweets, been on the platform since 2007 & is definitely an American looking for a team to support. You know it’s okay to admit when Shi has a blunder right?

View attachment 28232

No way super fan @VancouverWolf will accept any perceived criticism, maybe he'll attend a game at some point.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A quick look shows the guy has 10k followers, 30k+ tweets, been on the platform since 2007 & is definitely an American looking for a team to support. You know it’s okay to admit when Shi has a blunder right?

View attachment 28232

Of course I’d admit it if Wolves or made a mistake……I’m not a fool.
But Jeff’s video has been discussed in depth on here and there’s nothing much new on it to signal a huge change in direction for the club. Basically just more of the steady and slow growth……no surprises.
This why this guy finds Jeff discouraging is beyond me.

Japan Wulf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The twitter guy might well go on and support Brighton, Liverpool or whoever. Point is that he's looking. If people are looking, there is a market to be exploited. Fosun sees it. Jeff sees it. I see it too.
Who knows, the American in question might well be thinking about Jeff's comments about FFP. Either way, I'd be more influenced by his opinions if he'd come to an informed decision after listening to interviews with the other 19 PL chairmen. As far as I know, he's had a sample of only one.

Back
Top Bottom