Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought JL did a brilliant job and I’m a big fan, think he’s a very good manager and I’m sure he’ll do a great job at the hammers, even if I hope he doesn’t.

However I thought his actions with the interview, his attitude towards a changing environment and the way he left the club were a bit childish to be honest, as was his treatment of RAN and the Jimenez thing.

If he was as good as he thinks he is, he’d have stayed and done a better job than GON has and proven it, he’d have the club into Europe, it wouldn’t have taken much more maybe JL could have got that striker in Jan with his contacts, but he didn’t he quit.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Massive disrespect for his ability as a manager. He came in with a huge aura and you knew we were going to be ok the second he did that walk round the pitch with the Spanish bumsniff in tow.

The football was pragmatic but how else do people think a struggling, non-scoring, no confidence side was going to stay up? Suddenly become Brazil 1970 and score our way up the table?

I’ve no doubt that we would have been more expansive, the friendly against Rennes was enough for me to see that. Just a shame we didn’t/couldn’t stick to the Plan B that he had agreed to stay with after some deliberation.

I love what GON has and is doing here but the idea that Lopetegui wouldn’t have been successful is a bit harsh/silly.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Loppy didn't rate RAN. Just for that he's a *******.
Nuno didn't rate Vitinha.
GON seemingly didn't rate Sarabia until injuries forced his hand.
Pep didn't rate Cole Palmer enough to think he was worth giving more minutes to.

Just a few examples, doesn't make any of those **** managers or overrated etc.

the genius

Reaction score
And the way he treated Raul. Refusing to bring him on for a final time in a meaningless home game so that we could all give him the send off he deserved was unforgivable.

Lopetegui's handling of Raul and Moutinho in their last game was disappointing. Both players deserved better treatment, whether in terms of playing time or recognition for their contributions.

bigwolf

Reaction score
Easier to blame and criticise him than reflect on our ownership's role in the debacle of his exit, to be honest.

Agreed.

He did what was asked of him in keeping us up. He was promised something. That didn't materialise. He walked. Don't blame him.

He has principles and standards. Nothing wrong with that.

As someone said on here at some point before with Nuno it felt like family. With Lopetegui it felt like business. He was not going to put up with the crap from Jeff that Nuno and Bruno did. Whether GON will only time will tell.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gary O'Neil perhaps? He had a little more time at Bournemouth and got them to safety
Gary o Neil was already at Bournemouth and had a good relationship with the players.

JL came in cold and a side bottom of the league.

Very different starting points for their respective survival challenges when they took over at each of their clubs

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno didn't rate Vitinha. GON seemingly didn't rate Sarabia until injuries forced his hand. Pep didn't rate Cole Palmer enough to think he was worth giving more minutes to. Just a few examples, doesn't make any of those **** managers or overrated etc.
Those post-Hoc comments are just another stick to bash him. The rumours of RAN's personal issues notwithstanding, sometimes managers and players just don't gel for some reason. There are players in the squad right now that GON doesn't appear to rate highly either, like Boubacar or Bellegarde (before his injury). It might be in a season or two that Bellegarde becomes one of our best players - we just don't know. Will people say, "GON didn't rate Bellegarde, for that alone he is a ****"?

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui throwing a strop because he couldn't spend his way into a points deduction, taking a year off from football only to end up at... West Ham. That would be hilarious.
West Ham won silverware last season, have just completed their third successive European campaign, their 49th game of the season so far, and are being linked to Amorim. They are light years ahead of us structurally. Lopetegui isn't an elite manager in with a chance of Liverpool - after all, he agreed to join Wolves. His level I would say is a side like West Ham or Brighton - at a stretch United or Chelsea. It's hardly the underwhelming and spurious links to Forest and Palace.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui throwing a strop because he couldn't spend his way into a points deduction, taking a year off from football only to end up at... West Ham. That would be hilarious.
Upgrade for him. Much bigger stadium, attendances, spending power and a club that has had 3 consecutive European campaigns.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
West Ham have just completed their third successive European campaign, their 49th game of the season so far, and are being linked to Amorim. They are light years ahead of us structurally. Lopetegui isn't an elite manager in with a chance of Liverpool - after all, he agreed to join Wolves. His level I would say is a side like West Ham or Brighton - at a stretch United or Chelsea. It's hardly the underwhelming and spurious links to Forest and Palace.
I think it was clear he thought his level was a "big six" club. In spite of that I think West Ham and Wolves both at full strength are similar in quality, in my opinion. No doubt they've had a nice little run in Europe in recent years. Amorim has reportedly turned them down as well so that's a moot point really.

The difference potentially is they may have more capacity to spend in the summer, but I'm hopeful we'll loosen the purse-strings somewhat this summer.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Upgrade for him. Much bigger stadium, attendances, spending power and a club that has had 3 consecutive European campaigns.

Given the 85% spending limit coming in, if you look at clubs income then West Ham are really the only team that are capable of challenging the top 6 long term (but even then they are miles off the top 6). Their wage bill is almost twice ours.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given the 85% spending limit coming in, if you look at clubs income then West Ham are really the only team that are capable of challenging the top 6 long term (but even then they are miles off the top 6). Their wage bill is almost twice ours.
Indeed, we are never going to push on as a club until our stadium is fully redeveloped, ideally into a multi purpose venue. That's the truth.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed.

He did what was asked of him in keeping us up. He was promised something. That didn't materialise. He walked. Don't blame him.

He has principles and standards. Nothing wrong with that.

As someone said on here at some point before with Nuno it felt like family. With Lopetegui it felt like business. He was not going to put up with the crap from Jeff that Nuno and Bruno did. Whether GON will only time will tell.
Hate this argument, things change, deal with them, not run away.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui's handling of Raul and Moutinho in their last game was disappointing. Both players deserved better treatment, whether in terms of playing time or recognition for their contributions.
Moutinho didn't bother to say goodbye to the fans and failed to turn up for the last two games. Any respect I had for him goes out the window.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gary o Neil was already at Bournemouth and had a good relationship with the players.

JL came in cold and a side bottom of the league.

Very different starting points for their respective survival challenges when they took over at each of their clubs
Gaz took over a club who’d lost their previous game 9-0.

Loppy joined us with a months break to work with and 70 million pounds worth of new signings.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score

Loppy joined us with a months break to work with and 70 million pounds worth of new signings.
Beat Villa, then lost to Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool. Hardly the start of nightmares was it? Still finished below Wolves in the table despite us taking half a season off! I understand why some people blame him for going (even though I disagree), but running down what he achieved is rubbish. Bournemouth also spent £50m in January.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Beat Villa, then lost to Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool. Hardly the start of nightmares was it? Still finished below Wolves in the table despite us taking half a season off! I understand why some people blame him for going (even though I disagree), but running down what he achieved is rubbish. Bournemouth also spent £50m in January.
I didn’t say it was the start of nightmares, I just replied to someone who was making out GON walked into a bed of roses while Loppy had a miracle to perform. Neither are true.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I didn’t say it was the start of nightmares, I just replied to someone who was making out GON walked into a bed of roses while Loppy had a miracle to perform. Neither are true.

didn’t say he got a bed of roses did I, nor did I imply it.

I made a far and accurate statement of fact over their existing/non existent relationship with their clubs the day they started.

You neglected to mention Gary spent £50m and got loan players in at Jan…..

Both did great jobs, with challenging situations.

But the dumbing down and reducing of what JL did is comical on here…….

He was a **** for how he left, but the job he did that half season to keep us up was fantastic. Separate the two things.

Not everyone wanted the job or would have kept us up.

Just remember Beale turned us down as with our then league position we weren’t a step up from where he was….. code for “ i lost my bottle, the job is too hard. The media like me at the minute and if this goes wrong like it looks like it will, my reputation gets dented.”

So our job was not one to be taken on lightly.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He did a great job from where we were when he came in we were buried and heading to the champ.

People may not have liked him but has GON been backed by Fosun . Similar patterns we are seeing I am afraid and it's not the managers .

So when GON ****s off I presume some will then be saying he wasn't the man for the job . Rather than our approach at the club is really poor and they need a strategy.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He did a great job from where we were when he came in we were buried and heading to the champ.

People may not have liked him but has GON been backed by Fosun . Similar patterns we are seeing I am afraid and it's not the managers .

So when GON ****s off I presume some will then be saying he wasn't the man for the job . Rather than our approach at the club is really poor and they need a strategy.

Followed by the copy and paste story from anonymous source “seff jhi” that the manager was prickly and hard to work with and at times making staff uncomfortable.

Like happened to Nuno, lage and JL

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hate this argument, things change, deal with them, not run away.

When you are controlled by ego and hubris like JL, he was never just going to accept it.

Also if he is a man of morals and the importance of keeping your word and honouring deals, then the repeated moving of goal posts in regards to transfers, then Jeff doing what he did was terminal for the relationship.

Also, Jl has been proven right in the end about the strength of the squad…. Not the starting 11 in isolation, but the whole squad.

The total squad is close relegation fodder after only a small number of random injuries we have lost to a championship team and last 8 matches we are the 16th team in the form which is one game less than when the injury bug started to properly bite when neto kicked it all off……. So when we started to lose players and need to use the depth, we are lucky the bottom 3 have been so poor and weak and that we built up a health gap when the starting 11 was closer to full strength

So he put it in terrible wording, but he wasn’t wrong….. scratch below the starting 11 and the squad is very very poor

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
didn’t say he got a bed of roses did I, nor did I imply it.

I made a far and accurate statement of fact over their existing/non existent relationship with their clubs the day they started.

You neglected to mention Gary spent £50m and got loan players in at Jan…..

Both did great jobs, with challenging situations.

But the dumbing down and reducing of what JL did is comical on here…….

He was a **** for how he left, but the job he did that half season to keep us up was fantastic. Separate the two things.

Not everyone wanted the job or would have kept us up.

Just remember Beale turned us down as with our then league position we weren’t a step up from where he was….. code for “ i lost my bottle, the job is too hard. The media like me at the minute and if this goes wrong like it looks like it will, my reputation gets dented.”

So our job was not one to be taken on lightly.
The comment was about the situation they both arrived into, so signings Bournemouth made 3 months later weren’t relevant.

He did a good job, can’t knock the run of clean sheets at home. I didn’t particularly enjoy the football, and away games became an absolute chore but I accept it was a needs must situation and he achieved what we needed him to.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean wasn't there talk of a contract offer to GON . Now I may have missed something but I haven't seen him sign up . So either the offer is low or he is keeping possible options open .

I don't see Emery down at Villa stalling. Oh wait he might actually have been told before you can do X y and z and been able to do it . Secondly they probably have a strategy to push forward . Wolves under Nuno they had this but the last few seasons it's not there I am afraid .

Hopefully they have a real look at this or for me hopefully they sell up . As next season will just be like the last few making the numbers up battling for 8/9th or a few injuries and that could be a bottom 6 scrap

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean wasn't there talk of a contract offer to GON . Now I may have missed something but I haven't seen him sign up . So either the offer is low or he is keeping possible options open .

I don't see Emery down at Villa stalling. Oh wait he might actually have been told before you can do X y and z and been able to do it . Secondly they probably have a strategy to push forward . Wolves under Nuno they had this but the last few seasons it's not there I am afraid .

Hopefully they have a real look at this or for me hopefully they sell up . As next season will just be like the last few making the numbers up battling for 8/9th or a few injuries and that could be a bottom 6 scrap
I think I read he said something like there’s a lot to discuss in the summer. Make of that what you will.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The comment was about the situation they both arrived into, so signings Bournemouth made 3 months later weren’t relevant.

He did a good job, can’t knock the run of clean sheets at home. I didn’t particularly enjoy the football, and away games became an absolute chore but I accept it was a needs must situation and he achieved what we needed him to.

Do you not find it unfair then, that you say for GON it doesn’t matter and omit to say that got £50m of transfer and loan players which means he got more than £50m of talent added to the squad. Then you in the first post make it quite the point that JL got 70m of only perm transfers?

also, GON got the same months break…… JL wasn’t the lone manager to get the same months break to work on things. And I bet GON had more of his squad there and resting than JL lost to the World Cup? So actually JL didn’t have most of our front line players during that time where GON likely did.

So I am sorry mate, if you are going to use the signings of JL to reduce what he achieved, please include the fact GON also got investment…. Keep the playing field fair.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think I read he said something like there’s a lot to discuss in the summer. Make of that what you will.

When the season is already effectively over as we aren’t going down, we don’t have any cup/european commitments I don’t see why those conversations shouldn’t be happening now to plan for next season.

Slightly worrying if they aren’t being honest as we have lots of things to do this summer squad wise

Back
Top Bottom